Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst 13

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Yeh thats fair i suppose. I still feel he could have done more.
    I think he was hugely shackled by KCs approach just turning the ball back inside, would have been good in 2017 seeing him under Holbrook and Longy.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I think he was hugely shackled by KCs approach just turning the ball back inside, would have been good in 2017 seeing him under Holbrook and Longy.
    Who’s that mate? I’m on about Josh Perry. Are you on about Walsh, mate?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Really harsh IMO to have Hardman on some people's list. I know he wasn't a world-beater but in the handful of games he played for us, he never let us down.

1. Jack Owens
    2. Matty Dawson
    3. Ryan Morgan
    4. Gray Viane
    5. Jamie Foster
    6. Travis Burns
    7. Matty Smith

8. Michael Smith
    9. Tommy Lee
    10.Lama Tasi
    11.Joseph Paulo
    12.Atelea Vea
    13.Ricky Bibey

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Really harsh IMO to have Hardman on some people's list. I know he wasn't a world-beater but in the handful of games he played for us, he never let us down.

1. Jack Owens
    2. Matty Dawson
    3. Ryan Morgan
    4. Gray Viane
    5. Jamie Foster
    6. Travis Burns
    7. Matty Smith

8. Michael Smith
    9. Tommy Lee
    10.Lama Tasi
    11.Joseph Paulo
    12.Atelea Vea
    13.Ricky Bibey
    I always forget about bibey and vea. Vea was actually very good in his first few months before he broke his leg then when he came back he so poor greg richards kept him out

Learning All The Songs

I actually did not think Ryan Morgan was that bad.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    I actually did not think Ryan Morgan was that bad.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    He wasn't at all and wouldn't make my list of worst players

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    He wasn't at all and wouldn't make my list of worst players
    TBF you're right, but I've been watching Saints properly (season tickets) since 1998, in that time it's fair to say we've been blessed with centres. Iro, Gleeson, Lyon, Gidley, Turner, Shenton, Morgan and now Naqaima have graced the right centre spot in my time watching Saints.

In The South Stand

TBF you're right, but I've been watching Saints properly (season tickets) since 1998, in that time it's fair to say we've been blessed with centres. Iro, Gleeson, Lyon, Gidley, Turner, Shenton, Morgan and now Naqaima have graced the right centre spot in my time watching Saints.
    KC bigging him up and comparing him to Lyon didn't help.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Surely Brimah Kebbie would be more deserving of that wing birth?!
    I reckon Dwayne West would have been in the running apart from a playing a part in a very famous try as well!
    Or we could switch Haigh to wing and call up one Afi Leuila. Wigan signed Inga the winger; we signed his brother in law IIRC.

I agree I tried to err away from choosing the local lads for the reason I explained in ky post. Perhaps Dave was tainted hy invariably getting his call up when injury crisis would meet downturn in form and we’d blow the League at Leigh or suffer an abysmal defeat at Hull KR or Featherstone.

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    I always forget about bibey and vea. Vea was actually very good in his first few months before he broke his leg then when he came back he so poor greg richards kept him out
    Morgans isn’t the worst centre we’ve ever had. Still, i’ll never forgive him for costing us that semi at Castleford in 2017.

Banned

Him and Turner were both shit, Shenton wasn't much better either.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Always felt Turner was too greedy with the ball at centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I actually liked Turner. He always seemed to put his hand up and he had a good combination with Makinson in 2014. I thought he was a good wingers centre.

In The South Stand

I would put Shenton more towards the "worst 13", certainly in terms of performance levels versus expectations.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    I would put Shenton more towards the "worst 13", certainly in terms of performance levels versus expectations.
    Yeah there were high expectations,but in fairness he was shifted to the opposite side that he usually plays and we had a lightweight pack at the time and inexperienced halfbacks

Starting A Programme Collection

1. Jack Owens
    2. Matty Dawson
    3. Ryan Morgan
    4. Gray Viane
    5. Jamie Foster
    6. Travis Burns
    7. Matty Smith

8. Michael Smith
    9. Tommy Lee
    10.Lama Tasi
    11.Joseph Paulo
    12.Atelea Vea
    13.Ricky Bibey
    Harsh on Foster. If this was a thread entitled 'players who got lazy and didnt fulfil potential 'he is nailed on a place, I don't think he deserves a spot in a worse 13 side though. At times he showed glimpses of how good he could be and his place kicking in particular under pressure couldn't be faulted. I remember the game at DW against Wigan when he was up against the soon to be man of steel Pat Richards and didnt put a foot wrong. Unfortunately he clearly didnt have the motivation to want to get better

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Who’s that mate? I’m on about Josh Perry. Are you on about Walsh, mate?
    Oh sorry, I've got the wrong end of the stick there. Yeah I'm on about Walsh, he left at the end of 2016 and Holbrook arrived in May 2017 or KC went in April. I don't think Walsh was a world beater but I'm sure he was massively shackled under KC. Would've been interesting to see and probably would've walked that semi at Cas..

Banned

2014 before walsh got his injury he was dead set for MoS and looked like the scrum half we needed since long left. Then as you say KC came in and then all of our players took 3 steps backwards

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I have worked away for long periods where I have not had access to RL news so I couldn't pick a worst 13. But some of the selections do seem harsh. The likes of Morgan would have probably have been considered very good at many other SL clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
    Harsh on Foster. If this was a thread entitled 'players who got lazy and didnt fulfil potential 'he is nailed on a place, I don't think he deserves a spot in a worse 13 side though. At times he showed glimpses of how good he could be and his place kicking in particular under pressure couldn't be faulted. I remember the game at DW against Wigan when he was up against the soon to be man of steel Pat Richards and didnt put a foot wrong. Unfortunately he clearly didnt have the motivation to want to get better
    I'm not sure it was about motivation with Foster. For me he just didn't have the goods physically. Not athletic, strong or powerful enough for the modern game. You're right that he had some talent, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I'm not sure it was about motivation with Foster. For me he just didn't have the goods physically. Not athletic, strong or powerful enough for the modern game. You're right that he had some talent, though.
    What talent did he have apart from being a good goal kicker?? Again I picked Foster based on the players I have seen play left wing for us. Sullivan, Stewart, Gardner, West, Meli, Swift, Grace for me all were better players.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    Oh sorry, I've got the wrong end of the stick there. Yeah I'm on about Walsh, he left at the end of 2016 and Holbrook arrived in May 2017 or KC went in April. I don't think Walsh was a world beater but I'm sure he was massively shackled under KC. Would've been interesting to see and probably would've walked that semi at Cas..
    Yeh mate playing under Cunningham didn’t help him much. As Div pointed out, he wasn’t the same after that bad leg break. I think he lost some bottle after that injury. He almost seemed to avoid full contact especially when we were defending.

What talent did he have apart from being a good goal kicker?? Again I picked Foster based on the players I have seen play left wing for us. Sullivan, Stewart, Gardner, West, Meli, Swift, Grace for me all were better players.
    He had good hands and was cool under pressure, I suppose. Not many players would have scored that try at Leeds where he caught the ball behind him and switched hands behind his back. But overall he wasn't a very good player and I agree that all the players you name were/are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    He had good hands and was cool under pressure, I suppose. Not many players would have scored that try at Leeds where he caught the ball behind him and switched hands behind his back. But overall he wasn't a very good player and I agree that all the players you name were/are better.
    The try against Leeds was very skilful indeed. I think you summarised it perfectly a few posts above. He wasn't terrible, he just wasn't big or athletic enough for top-level SL.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    I think shenton came at the wrong time, if he'd have played another couple of years we'd have seen a better player..

He played when we had Gaskell and Lomax (plus everything going on with Eastmond) at the start of their careers - and wellens coming towards the end of their careers, not mention when we had an obsession with playing Second Rowers at prop (Laffranchi and LMS).

Also let's not forget, it's generally accepted we'd have probably won the 2011 grand final, had we not lost Shenton and Wellens through injury