Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: James Child Talks about being gay

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I haven’t read all of this thread but will say that Nigel Owens, the retired Welsh Rugby Union ref, was probably one of the best referees I’ve seen in any sport and he is gay. Being gay does not stop anyone excelling at their job or at sport. I just wish that Rugby League had one ref of Owens’ calibre.
    As a humourous aside on that note I was watching a clip of Nigel Owens' 'finest moments' as a referee recently. One, in particular, made me laugh as, at a line out, he called the play back after the throw and ordered it to be retaken stating 'Take it again, I am straighter than that'. The players were laughing their heads off and goes to show it just shouldn't be an issue. As Gray eloquently states, it's the media that make it one.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Ok so you have never been out with a group of people with learning disabilities and had a group of other people laughing at us, imitating their behaviour and calling us Mongs. Upsetting some of us so much that some didn’t want to go out again.

But those people were just having fun and everything and everyone can be made fun of.

I realise now that when we got back to the minibus and adult people were in the tears, that I should have told them not to be so sensitive, other people have got to have fun and people like you should realise that going out into the wide world is just asking for abuse.

Thanks for educating me in this matter.
    You're not really comparing like for like there though. There's a world of difference between free speech and vindictive and abusive behaviour. If a group of people are being laughed at repeatedly, called names and intimidated that doesn't fall under free speech. If you tell a joke on stage about 'two gay men walking into a bar...' that is very much different to walking up to a gay man and hurling abuse at him, mocking him and intimidating him. Free speech and acceptable social behaviour are two different things, and the instance you highlighted does not equate to free speech but rather abuse of one kind or another. Someone can tell a joke or make a remark in the attempt at being humourous. Some will laugh, some will think it's crap, some will be offended. A group of people hurling abuse at a person or another group because of their race, sexuality, disability etc would be frowned upon by pretty much everyone. Yes, free speech does allow for people to be cruel, no doubt, and not everyone has to like it or wish to accept it, but there's a big difference between a joke and abusive behaviour.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    You're not really comparing like for like there though. There's a world of difference between free speech and vindictive and abusive behaviour. If a group of people are being laughed at repeatedly, called names and intimidated that doesn't fall under free speech. If you tell a joke on stage about 'two gay men walking into a bar...' that is very much different to walking up to a gay man and hurling abuse at him, mocking him and intimidating him. Free speech and acceptable social behaviour are two different things, and the instance you highlighted does not equate to free speech but rather abuse of one kind or another. Someone can tell a joke or make a remark in the attempt at being humourous. Some will laugh, some will think it's crap, some will be offended. A group of people hurling abuse at a person or another group because of their race, sexuality, disability etc would be frowned upon by pretty much everyone. Yes, free speech does allow for people to be cruel, no doubt, and not everyone has to like it or wish to accept it, but there's a big difference between a joke and abusive behaviour.
    Gray, reminds me of Stephen Fry's point about the joke round the dinner table. Its good to tell a bad joke as opposed to a clever, witty or contentious one because the latter creates as situation where there are people 'for' the joke and people 'against' the joke.

The problem I see it is that society is being gravitated to a viewpoint that anyone who says anything mildly contentious around say, the said table should be subject to some sort of damning inquisition and judgement on their very nature. It never used to be this way.

Many people are almost advocating a position where there has to be some mandated, uniform viewpoint (theirs) on the issues we've seen raised in society this year and any different opionion that contradicts it instantly means someone is at the worst end of human nature.

We saw it with 'taking the knee;' why should someone feel compelled, almost forced to 'take a knee' if they don't feel that it is the best way to resolve a problem? Why was something that happened 4,000 miles away or whatever in a different country with a different set of laws and a different society almost forced on sportsmen/woman in the UK?

As for James Child noone here appears to give a toss about his sexuality.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 26th February 2021 at 11:24.

Banned

Fair play to you Gary because I have no patience explaining things to blinkered idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Gray, reminds me of Stephen Fry's point about the joke round the dinner table. Its good to tell a bad joke as opposed to a clever, witty or contentious one because the latter creates as situation where there are people 'for' the joke and people 'against' the joke.

The problem I see it is that society is being gravitated to a viewpoint that anyone who says anything mildly contentious around say, the said table should be subject to some sort of damning inquisition and judgement on their very nature. It never used to be this way.

Many people are almost advocating a position where there has to be some mandated, uniform viewpoint (theirs) on the issues we've seen raised in society this year and any different opionion that contradicts it instantly means someone is at the worst end of human nature.

We saw it with 'taking the knee;' why should someone feel compelled, almost forced to 'take a knee' if they don't feel that it is the best way to resolve a problem? Why was something that happened 4,000 miles away or whatever in a different country with a different set of laws and a different society almost forced on sportsmen/woman in the UK?

As for James Child noone here appears to give a toss about his sexuality.
    Exactly, who cares? I asked my mate earlier if he knew and his reply was "I thought it was common knowledge". I can confirm we were both more bothered about Everton's fine derby victory last weekend.

I just don't get why he'd do this a few weeks before the season starts, seems a bit attention seeking to be honest.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Woke lefties are absolutely destroying the western world. C4, BBC and the American MSM constantly painting a picture that the world is homophobic, racist, sexist, white supremest. Its complete nonsense. There is no systematic racism. No deep hatred for gay or trans folk. The left just love fuelling the victim mentality and as a result create bigger divides between people.
    The LGBTQ community love to scream about their sexuality from the rooftops and have gay parades every other week claiming to do this in the name of acceptance. News flash chicks. Nobody really cares what sexuality you are. Its your business. With some of the LGBTQ community its nothing more than self obsessed attention seeking.
    And the BLM movement really boils my p***. It does nothing for black people. It just creates more division and fuels this nonsense narrative that black people are victims. If you have good character you can succeed in life despite your sex, race or sexuality.
    Christ, being gay didn’t stop Elton John or Freddie Mercury selling millions of LPs in the 70’s. The LGBTQ’s of today like to think they are knocking down barriers and breaking new ground ignoring the fact that David Bowie was walking round like some gender neutral space alien 40 years ago!

Glad i got that off my chest
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Woke lefties are absolutely destroying the western world. C4, BBC and the American MSM constantly painting a picture that the world is homophobic, racist, sexist, white supremest. Its complete nonsense. There is no systematic racism. No deep hatred for gay or trans folk. The left just love fuelling the victim mentality and as a result create bigger divides between people.
    The LGBTQ community love to scream about their sexuality from the rooftops and have gay parades every other week claiming to do this in the name of acceptance. News flash chicks. Nobody really cares what sexuality you are. Its your business. With some of the LGBTQ community its nothing more than self obsessed attention seeking.
    And the BLM movement really boils my p***. It does nothing for black people. It just creates more division and fuels this nonsense narrative that black people are victims. If you have good character you can succeed in life despite your sex, race or sexuality.
    Christ, being gay didn’t stop Elton John or Freddie Mercury selling millions of LPs in the 70’s. The LGBTQ’s of today like to think they are knocking down barriers and breaking new ground ignoring the fact that David Bowie was walking round like some gender neutral space alien 40 years ago!

Go on Fishy lad!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Go on Fishy lad!!!!!
    Ive probably triggered someone with all the common sense but oh well. Its not hard to do these days .

Roll on March 26th! COYS!

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I am totally against sportsmen receiving racial abuse whether it is at the ground or on social media. It is something I would never do.
    However why are the following not considered racist: The Black music awards, The Black Reel awards, Miss Black World, Black Entertainment Television awards. If we put White in front of those awards instead of Black there would be uproar.
    You don't need to put the word white in front of most award ceremonies, they're already the white awards.

Christ, being gay didnÂ’t stop Elton John or Freddie Mercury selling millions of LPs in the 70Â’s. The LGBTQÂ’s of today like to think they are knocking down barriers and breaking new ground ignoring the fact that David Bowie was walking round like some gender neutral space alien 40 years ago!

The entire human story up to the modern age has been one of violence, oppression, war and civil injustice, and we have now arrived at a point, after mass irrational behaviour, where we are disputing the finer details, almost semantically. These are the last intricate steps we are ironing out towards a fairer society, it's far from perfect, but the extremely complicated issues that LGBTQ or minority race people face, requires surgical analysis. Instead here you are with your sledgehammer, with the usual cliche majority opinion that we've heard a million times, and telling it as if it's the radical truth and you've just swallowed the red pill. Glad you got it off your chest though.

Banned

I take it from your opening coment you're being sarcastic ?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Fair play to you Gary because I have no patience explaining things to blinkered idiots.

Exactly, who cares? I asked my mate earlier if he knew and his reply was "I thought it was common knowledge". I can confirm we were both more bothered about Everton's fine derby victory last weekend.

I just don't get why he'd do this a few weeks before the season starts, seems a bit attention seeking to be honest.
    You're right about it being common knowledge.
    Why now? Maybe something to do with it being LGBT history month 2021 (apparently)?
    There was also an article on Breakfast News yesterday about a gay RU team in London. Again, not exactly 'news', as they've been around for ages.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    You don't need to put the word white in front of most award ceremonies, they're already the white awards.
    So what are you inferring?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Why now? Maybe something to do with it being LGBT history month 2021 (apparently)?
    There was also an article on Breakfast News yesterday about a gay RU team in London. Again, not exactly 'news', as they've been around for ages.
    If they're so desperate to be accepted why do they need their own month? Not that I knew or cared anyway. They and the media are the ones that keep highlighting the fact when 99% of people couldn't care one way or the other. As I said yesterday, the doctor I seen is gay, so what? I walked past someone on Deansgate wearing a pink stetson, fairly certain he was gay but only served to make me smile him wearing a daft hat and walked past what appeared to be a gay church? I've been in a sauna and showered with 2 gay men (in the gym), I've also sat and had a beer with them numerous times, oh, and shared a room offshore with a gay bloke.

My point is, no one gives a toss anymore so why keep bringing it up and forcing it on others wether that be the mainstream media, social media or a bar with a rainbow flag outside?

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Tbf I was aware of the Hardacker comment but had no clue that James was actually gay. Good on him for speaking up about his experiences and having the confidence within himself to do so.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Some folk will never understand the concept you're eloquently illustrating Gray. They'll just argue on and on and on. That's when people lose interest in forums, when some persist with the idea that they are correct and no one else can have a point of view mate. Yet they are the first to moan about respect when not respecting the points of view of others! Go figure, it's the Woke way I'm afraid.

In The South Stand

Don't sugar coat it!

If they're so desperate to be accepted why do they need their own month? Not that I knew or cared anyway. They and the media are the ones that keep highlighting the fact when 99% of people couldn't care one way or the other. As I said yesterday, the doctor I seen is gay, so what? I walked past someone on Deansgate wearing a pink stetson, fairly certain he was gay but only served to make me smile him wearing a daft hat and walked past what appeared to be a gay church? I've been in a sauna and showered with 2 gay men (in the gym), I've also sat and had a beer with them numerous times, oh, and shared a room offshore with a gay bloke.

My point is, no one gives a toss anymore so why keep bringing it up and forcing it on others wether that be the mainstream media, social media or a bar with a rainbow flag outside?
    Because people in the past have fought their entire lives for acceptance. People are still being jailed, tortured and killed in some parts of the world for no other reason than the fact they are attracted to people of the same sex. We still aren't that far removed from Homosexuality being a crime in this country.

I still see people be subjected to Homophobic (and more so racist) abuse in my job far too many times . For all the rainbow flag wavers there are still thousands of men and women who don't feel they can come out, for whatever reason and I feel it is important that there is a vocal presence within society that accepts them because while most people don't care, some people do in a really negative way.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

...My point is, no one gives a toss anymore so why keep bringing it up and forcing it on others wether that be the mainstream media, social media or a bar with a rainbow flag outside?
    I guess that they, or at least some of them, feel that, as a society, we're not quite there yet? More or less what barry said above, but personally, I think we're a lot better than he suggests.

Banned

This thread is getting boring, just like the subject.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Because people in the past have fought their entire lives for acceptance. People are still being jailed, tortured and killed in some parts of the world for no other reason than the fact they are attracted to people of the same sex. We still aren't that far removed from Homosexuality being a crime in this country.

I still see people be subjected to Homophobic (and more so racist) abuse in my job far too many times . For all the rainbow flag wavers there are still thousands of men and women who don't feel they can come out, for whatever reason and I feel it is important that there is a vocal presence within society that accepts them because while most people don't care, some people do in a really negative way.

Forget it Barry people on here still think that James telling everyone he is gay, is only setting himself up for abuse, and he should just accept it and not be sensitive about it because he has brought it on himself. An attitude that will certainly prevent another gay person to think twice about accepting their sexually.

Learning All The Songs

Forget it Barry people on here still think that James telling everyone he is gay, is only setting himself up for abuse, and he should just accept it and not be sensitive about it because he has brought it on himself. An attitude that will certainly prevent another gay person to think twice about accepting their sexually.
    Utter derogatory crap, more like people dont care, it doesnt change people’s opinion of him that he is a poor referee. There are some out there, seems like you are one of them, that say because he is of a protected characteristic that he cannot be held to the same scrutiny in his profession as any other person.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Utter derogatory crap, more like people dont care, it doesnt change people’s opinion of him that he is a poor referee. There are some out there, seems like you are one of them, that say because he is of a protected characteristic that he cannot be held to the same scrutiny in his profession as any other person.
    So wide of the mark. The fact that in my opinion he is not a very good referee has no bearing on his sexuality. The remark (don’t know who said it) was specifically referring to him announcing he is gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    The entire human story up to the modern age has been one of violence, oppression, war and civil injustice, and we have now arrived at a point, after mass irrational behaviour, where we are disputing the finer details, almost semantically. These are the last intricate steps we are ironing out towards a fairer society, it's far from perfect, but the extremely complicated issues that LGBTQ or minority race people face, requires surgical analysis. Instead here you are with your sledgehammer, with the usual cliche majority opinion that we've heard a million times, and telling it as if it's the radical truth and you've just swallowed the red pill. Glad you got it off your chest though.
    Thank you. I do feel better

Banned

So wide of the mark. The fact that in my opinion he is not a very good referee has no bearing on his sexuality. The remark (don’t know who said it) was specifically referring to him announcing he is gay.
    Bollocks again. The remark did refer to his sexuality AND him being shit, the combination of both likely leaving him open to homophobic abuse on top of anything else he may receive YOU ••••ING IDIOT.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Sorry, but that is just utter rubbish. Not a single person on this whole thread has been derogatory towards JC because he is gay, only because they don't feel he is a good referee. Clearly anyone that has posted couldn't care less that his partner is a man.