Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: James Child Talks about being gay

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    I disagree that it's homophobic. It's just a joke. I note that the analogy regarding the straight bloke and models didn't make you have a hissy fit about sexism.
    I agree, either everything is fair game to be joked about or nothing is.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    I disagree that it's homophobic. It's just a joke. I note that the analogy regarding the straight bloke and models didn't make you have a hissy fit about sexism.
    That was what I was on about, the stereotype that a gay man sees every other man as a sex object.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I agree, either everything is fair game to be joked about or nothing is.
    Agree but just in case anyone is unclear here’s a handy update..
    https://youtu.be/OMdPj3HXMgQ

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I agree, either everything is fair game to be made fun of or nothing is.
    Everything can be made fun of really? Less-able people, people with learning disabilities, people who are gay etc. (there are ‘funny’ names for all these people that were in general use in the past, I’m sure you don’t need me to remind you of them)....... or shall we just make fun people who were born slightly different than the rest of us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Yeh it was humour, homophobic humour.
    Ok, if you say so. So if that's the case you must have a problem with the likes of Kenneth Williams, Alan Carr and Graham Norton using homosexual humour?

Learning All The Songs

Everything can be made fun of really? Less-able people, people with learning disabilities, people who are gay etc. (there are ‘funny’ names for all these people that were in general use in the past, I’m sure you don’t need me to remind you of them)....... or shall we just make fun people who were born slightly different than the rest of us.
    Yes, everything can be, it depends how those viewing it take it, if you dont like it dont listen or watch it. Josh Blue is a handicapped comedian who uses it as part of his bit, Chris Rock is notable for jokes about black people, he also makes jokes about white people, dont hear anyone complaining about that. You seem to be on a crusade to stop people say anything mildly controversial, i dont think anyone has said anything derogatory about James Childs based on his sexuality, everything has been either about his failings as a referee or clearly a joke, no matter how distasteful you think it is, as soon as you start censoring people you open yourself up to censorship yourself, because people might find what you agree with offensive.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Ok, if you say so. So if that's the case you must have a problem with the likes of Kenneth Williams, Alan Carr and Graham Norton using homosexual humour?
    Dont they make jokes about straight men as well, not sure thats allowed...

Banned

That was what I was on about, the stereotype that a gay man sees every other man as a sex object.
    I didn't say that you clown, you did. If I was surrounded by young, fit women wearing shorts I'd have certain activities on my mind and it wouldn't be watching the offside.

I don't even know why I'm explaining this to you, you're clearly a miserable prude.

Got A Season Ticket

I didn't say that you clown, you did. If I was surrounded by young, fit women wearing shorts I'd have certain activities on my mind and it wouldn't be watching the offside.

I don't even know why I'm explaining this to you, you're clearly a miserable prude.
    Point is, your “joke” wasn’t even funny, it’s just crass and belies a obviously bigoted view. I saw your other comment which basically said that James Childs had better be a good enough ref to come out, otherwise he’s setting himself up for abuse. I mean, truly dark ages stuff.

I’m going to mute you as I don’t want to read anymore of your appalling views.

Banned

Oh Lardy dah I'm going to mute you! You devil. Don't suppose you fancy borrowing my best of Bernard Manning video.������. Some people need to get a life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coors View Post
    Point is, your “joke” wasn’t even funny, it’s just crass and belies a obviously bigoted view. I saw your other comment which basically said that James Childs had better be a good enough ref to come out, otherwise he’s setting himself up for abuse. I mean, truly dark ages stuff.

I’m going to mute you as I don’t want to read anymore of your appalling views.
    Oh right, so I'm a bigot now because I'm a realist. At no point in this thread have I made a derogatory comment about anyone's sexuality. I said Childs is a shit ref' and I stand by that, plenty of others have agreed with that.

He will end up getting abuse this coming season because of his poor performance, I'm sure he's had the same in the past only now he brought his sexuality to the forefront after apparently being openly gay anyway.

[QUOTE]"The way I've lived my life on social media, I'm pretty open about the fact I have a male partner," he says./QUOTE]

Like it or not, people will use that against him. That's not my view, but it is a fact of life at present, so stop trying to twist what I said to suit your agenda you pathetic little man/woman/shemale.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Dont care about his or anyones sexuality.

Every time ive seen him ref Saints at home he seems to not want to give us anything. The crowd get on at him and he digs his heels in even more.

Very frustrating.

Banned

In the interest of trying to find common ground to end the fractious discord in this thread, can we all agree that no matter how good or rubbish we think James Child's refereeing is, he's not anywhere near as sh*te or corrupt as Robert Hicks.

Regards,
    Kofi Annan

Got A Season Ticket

I'm offended by your ageism

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    In the interest of trying to find common ground to end the fractious discord in this thread, can we all agree that no matter how good or rubbish we think James Child's refereeing is, he's not anywhere near as sh*te or corrupt as Robert Hicks.

Regards,
    Kofi Annan
    Having just gone through this whole thread, in the last hour, I'm going to work my way backwards until I give up.

WA: I think we should all agree he's not as f-ing terrile as Robert Hicks but he's still not good. He's mid-level in a •••• poor set up.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

BB is it ok for someone who has a disability to make fun of themselves and other folk like them? Is it ok for them to make fun of the differences between them and people who don't have the same disability.

Just asking as there are plenty of comedians doing just that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Absolutely spot on Gray. Some folk will be offended and make an issue out of anything, the BBC narrative, when they are supposed to give a balanced view "enshrined" in their charter, is truly appalling. Most couldn't care what Childs is as long as he does his job competently.
    Dead right on Childs. I will still rant and rave when he gives a bad decision but couldn't care less what he does off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Coors View Post
    Wow, you really are a Neanderthal, aren’t you?
    Describing someone to be of a different or lesser race (even a lesser species) isn't the way to go if you're trying to argue the defence for somebody else's rights.

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    So you have 20 odd players shouting at you every week in your job do you? Do you have 10 people analyse and review and talk about the decisions you make at work do you? You have thousands of people every day shouting at you as you walk into your office? Have hundreds of people abuse you online (directly and indirectly) on social media do you?

I'm not saying everyone doesn't have pressure at work, I'm saying in a job like this, the scrutiny over what you do/say/conduct yourself is massively heightened compared to your average job that goes to an office job every day.
    Not players but I have 20-odd folk shouting at me daily, not once a week. I have more than 10 people analyse and review what I do. I don't have thousands of folk shouting at me as I walk to my office granted and no one knows me on social media.

That doesn't make James child good at his job or anyone's opinion of him less valid if it doesn't hit your criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    The thread was started because of James Child. Is he a good ref? No, he's bang average. Not awful, not great, just average. But how many full-time refs do we have in the game? Are they really judged the same way someone working in a normal job would be? If there's only 7-8 people out there willing or qualified to do your job, you have alot more leeway to do your job to an average level. Yes, it's a tough job, and yes they don't get paid loads to do it, but that's irrelevant. He chose to do that job because he thought he'd be good at it, and he's been promoted to the top of his field because others have judged him to be at an elite level. That is a failure of standards, not by him, because he's not going to turn the job down, but rather by those who set the standards for what elite referees should be. We've always had high-profile refs who people have judged harshly, that's part and parcel of the job, but in today's game with all the help they get from technology they should be better than average. The PL is suffering from this as well, where there is real lack of top quality referees which has been magnified now that they are still making howlers even though they have video assistance.

On a political level, the fact that he's gay should be an irrelevance. Being gay is not a big deal in 2021, but if your political agenda is to highlight differences in society then you will try your best to highlight everyone's differences even if the vast majority couldn't care less. I know a fair few gay people from working all over the place, and the same thing is said to me all the time. Gay people fought for the right for their sexuality to be an irrelevance. It is one of those liberties that becomes almost invisible. They're gay, it's no big deal, most people don't care and the ones who do care are the ones who are questioned for their views, not the other way around. The BBC website is a noticeboard for this 'look at this persons sexuality, gender, race' agenda these days. It is counter-productive. The coverage they give to RL on that site is appalling, but if they can use a figure from the game to highlight a political agenda they'll blast it all over the site for all to see. It's quite deliberate and it's very un-subtle. Highlighting that someone is gay in 2021 is not progressive, it's regressive, because the war was won for gay people, and highlighting that they're gay does the opposite of what they wanted to happen, namely that their sexuality becomes irrelevant.
    Gray has said it all tremendously as always.

All I will add is that this thread is over 4 pages long and almost non of it has to do with JCs sexuality. That's not a pat on the back for any of us but shows that ultimately his sexuality doesn't affect how we see and treat him.

Shruggy shoulders emoji.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by guns86 View Post
    BB is it ok for someone who has a disability to make fun of themselves and other folk like them? Is it ok for them to make fun of the differences between them and people who don't have the same disability.

Just asking as there are plenty of comedians doing just that.

Ok so you have never been out with a group of people with learning disabilities and had a group of other people laughing at us, imitating their behaviour and calling us Mongs. Upsetting some of us so much that some didn’t want to go out again.

But those people were just having fun and everything and everyone can be made fun of.

I realise now that when we got back to the minibus and adult people were in the tears, that I should have told them not to be so sensitive, other people have got to have fun and people like you should realise that going out into the wide world is just asking for abuse.

Thanks for educating me in this matter.
    Last edited by Bostik Bailey; 26th February 2021 at 07:17.

Banned

Gray has said it all tremendously as always.

All I will add is that this thread is over 4 pages long and almost non of it has to do with JCs sexuality. That's not a pat on the back for any of us but shows that ultimately his sexuality doesn't affect how we see and treat him.

Shruggy shoulders emoji.

I think some of us are aware of his personal life even before the BBC article and as you say I (and many others) could’nt care less. I do wonder why ref’s frequent social media though as its a magnet for idiots and leaves them susceptible to abuse from the odd village idiot. My problem is when those cases are then somehow extrapolated into a much bigger problem than they are and wider society ends up suffering sermons and moral lectures because of a few bell ends who noone listened to anyway.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

...All I will add is that this thread is over 4 pages long and almost non of it has to do with JCs sexuality.
    ...But the refism and refophobic remarks are quite shocking!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kentishbarry View Post
    ...but the refism and refophobic remarks are quite shocking!
    rlm!

In The South Stand

I haven’t read all of this thread but will say that Nigel Owens, the retired Welsh Rugby Union ref, was probably one of the best referees I’ve seen in any sport and he is gay. Being gay does not stop anyone excelling at their job or at sport. I just wish that Rugby League had one ref of Owens’ calibre.