Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: James Child Talks about being gay

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    And you're an international cricket umpire are you? Been stood out in the middle, with thousands of people watching you and judging you, cheering and hounding you for hours on end, cameras on you etc all day, everyone talking about what you do and don't do in terms of decision making??
    No, nor do i want to be 1, but i do have my Level 1 umpiring qual and have played and umpired cricket for a long time, so its not like i dont know what i am talking about. Even during the first test, one where they didnt have any fans, they where making decisions that where patently wrong and generally in favour of India. Also with DRS there is a process they have to go through, they have been incapable of following that process, every single time they haven’t followed it, it has benefited India, i take it you havent been watching.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJose View Post
    Thanks for reminding me why I don’t come on here anymore. Board is littered with you spouting crap like this. See you in a few months when I’ve forgotten again
    Put him on ignore then his “ I’m not homophobic but” and “I’m not racist but” , crap passes you by

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I am totally against sportsmen receiving racial abuse whether it is at the ground or on social media. It is something I would never do.
    However why are the following not considered racist: The Black music awards, The Black Reel awards, Miss Black World, Black Entertainment Television awards. If we put White in front of those awards instead of Black there would be uproar. As for Child's being gay I couldn't care less. I don't think he is a good ref, but neither are the rest of them. I do think that he is better than he was a few years ago.
    Since the mainstream awards are predominantly awarded to white people (granted it is slowly changing) it was felt there was a need for these awards. The presence of this need illustrates that racism is still prevalent in society.

In The South Stand

And you could do better could you? That's why you come onto a message board and complain about someone doing a job that you don't/can't do.

If he was really as bad as you and some others make out, he wouldn't be in a job would he? Or maybe the powers that be that employ him, realise that he is human, and in a sporting environment when incidents happen at speed, he has a split second to make a decision on what he sees. Hindsight is a great thing, and it's ok saying someone made a poor decision when you've seen it 10 times from 8 different camera angles and 5 different speeds - but at the end of the day he has one chance, one look, to decide on what he thinks is right or wrong based on his years of experience on the field right in the middle and thick of things!

You haven't done the job. You haven't been under the pressure and scrutiny that comes with working in sporting environment (players, fans, coaches, commentators, reporters etc constantly criticising your every choice) - so please don't say someone is doing something bad when you haven't been in their shoes and faced the experienced what they have experienced. So sick of these armchair referees/keyboard warriors that just get to slag someone off whenever they want just because they think they might do something differently - but would you, if you were in the heat of the moment like referees are?
    But he is bad,you see before a game who is reffing and when you see his name then you know it will be a below par reffing performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    No, nor do i want to be 1, but i do have my Level 1 umpiring qual and have played and umpired cricket for a long time, so its not like i dont know what i am talking about. Even during the first test, one where they didnt have any fans, they where making decisions that where patently wrong and generally in favour of India. Also with DRS there is a process they have to go through, they have been incapable of following that process, every single time they haven’t followed it, it has benefited India, i take it you havent been watching.
    I have, and have had the same conversation with a mate this morning about this. I agree with you because I've played the game for 30 years too, and been on the end of some dodgy decisions myself as a batter and a bowler - I'm sure you've given someone out when they didn't hit it, or not out when they knocked the cover off it to the keeper yet had no comeback on you for those decisions? bet you still umpired the following week and following season didn't you? But even weekend cricket is hard enough as an umpire, never mind when the world and his dog are watching you on TV, talking about you on TV, on the radio and in the papers - all I'm saying is, it's not the same, so find it hard for general armchair fans to be as critical as they are when 99.99% of them haven't been in the position they say they could do better at.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    But he is bad,you see before a game who is reffing and when you see his name then you know it will be a below par reffing performance.
    But that is your opinion of him - and that's the point isn't it, you are saying he's bad because you don't like how he refs a game yet you haven't had the same training and experiences over the last however many years as he has to make you qualified or have any foundation to make such a statement. The RFL obviously don't think the same or he still wouldn't be reffing games would he?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Since the mainstream awards are predominantly awarded to white people (granted it is slowly changing) it was felt there was a need for these awards. The presence of this need illustrates that racism is still prevalent in society.
    What a load of crap. Ella Fitzgerald, Sammy Davis Jn, Otis Reading, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Etta James are all acclaimed artists of colour, male and female. There's also been tons of homosexual actors and public figures. You can put any spin you like to suit your agenda, like saying I'm racist or homophobic when there's no proof whatsoever. All I said that was some people are too sensitive, thanks for proving my point.

I'd also like to add something I forgotten earlier. That I'm sick of hearing about race, gender and all that other rubbish, which is what my earlier point was based on, and quite frankly I think it's important to raise the issue as others are very quick to force their opinions on the general public.

In The South Stand

But that is your opinion of him - and that's the point isn't it, you are saying he's bad because you don't like how he refs a game yet you haven't had the same training and experiences over the last however many years as he has to make you qualified or have any foundation to make such a statement. The RFL obviously don't think the same or he still wouldn't be reffing games would he?
    Yes it's my opinion ( and also the opinion of an awful lot of people who watch the game and support different teams ). It's based on watching and playing the game over several decades.As for the RFL well they hardly have a huge pool of refs to pick from,right now a ref can make error after error and seldom gets punished for it. The standard of reffing is all over the place and each ref has his own interpretation of the rules,there is no consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    What a load of crap. Ella Fitzgerald, Sammy Davis Jn, Otis Reading, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Etta James are all acclaimed artists of colour, male and female. There's also been tons of homosexual actors and public figures. You can put any spin you like to suit your agenda, like saying I'm racist or homophobic when there's no proof whatsoever. All I said that was some people are too sensitive, thanks for proving my point.

I'd also like to add something I forgotten earlier. That I'm sick of hearing about race, gender and all that other rubbish, which is what my earlier point was based on, and quite frankly I think it's important to raise the issue as others are very quick to force their opinions on the general public.
    No one is gonna argue with those, but for every Sammy Davis Jr that were 10 Frank Sinatra's or Dean Martin's that got recognition before him. No one is doubting their talents, but they've not been recognised in the same way white musicians or actors have been.

Just had a quick google for Grammy album of the year award winners in the last 10, 15 years, and there were at least 10 winners that were white. Now yes, maybe they did have the best album that year and that's why they were voted for, but history tells us that generally a white person wins something over a black person because more white people are nominated or pushed in terms of the mainstream media, so can't really blame the black community for wanting to set up their own awards or whatever, to give some recognition to black artists in terms of winners and nominations because the mainstream awards are dominated by white winners and nominees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Given that a non-white can win a mainstream award but no white will ever win any of the “Black” awards, the existence of the latter is indeed evidence that racism exists. In fact, their existence is taking racism to a new level.

Yes it's my opinion ( and also the opinion of an awful lot of people who watch the game and support different teams ). It's based on watching and playing the game over several decades.As for the RFL well they hardly have a huge pool of refs to pick from,right now a ref can make error after error and seldom gets punished for it. The standard of reffing is all over the place and each ref has his own interpretation of the rules,there is no consistency.
    And that is fine, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it - but again, you are just making my point for you. You have no training, no experience, no substance to back up your claim that he is a bad ref other than what you see and what you think of his decision making.

Maybe you are right, the RFL don't have a massive pool of refs to choose from, but for them to keep him in a job and reffing games, that obviously tells you what they think of him compared to the rest of them - so you are quick to say he should be binned off, but what comes after him is all likely to be worse than he is, so what would you be saying then?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Given that a non-white can win a mainstream award but no white will ever win any of the “Black” awards, the existence of the latter is indeed evidence that racism exists. In fact, their existence is taking racism to a new level.
    Eminem.

Eminem.
    I’m diabetic so can’t eat them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Fair enough, I know that isn't very PC and as a white, straight (fat and bald) male I know how most people will view this, so I'll break it down a little bit.

Since all the BLM stuff has been on our screens daily, there's been a massive upsurge in online racial abuse. Correct? I'm not defending it but it seems like a massive coincidence to me. None of the content is actually made public, only ever that it's happened so obviously people are going to make their own conclusions. Not only that but the more simple minded are going to think that's a good way of getting under a players skin. The same goes wether it's sectarian, gender, sexuality, appearance, race or anything else. I can think of Saints songs abusing players plus many spontaneous chants over the years. My point is, it's human nature and yes, some times it goes too far but sometimes things are said and the reaction goes too far. It's like when we go to Yorkshire and get called scousers in a derogatory way, you don't see us all running off crying on Twitter, they just get something back, and usually a beating with it.

I'm not saying there's not bad said by some lunatics and that's obviously wrong but equally there's lunatics taking it the other way and actually discrediting the times when something really is out of order.
    For me the rise in online racist abuse as nothing to do with BLM more down to the bile the right wing press spew out

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I’m diabetic so can’t eat them.
    Point proved, nothing else to say other than a less than witty comeback.

I'm gonna make some assumptions here, lets say you are a 40 year old man, that drives a car and has done for 20 years. What would you say to me, if I were a 20 year with no car, no driving license, and my only experience of driving a car was with my dad once or twice in Tesco carpark, if I called you a shit driver because you didn't indicate when you turned a corner? You'd tell me to •••• off wouldn't you, cos I have no basis to back up saying that because I've never driven a car on the road and had that experience.

What you are saying is exactly the same, basing what you are saying just on observations without experience.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HoofeHearted View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56182569

My worry is that he is wearing specs on the video.

Hope he wears contact lenses when he is officiating.
    I just find it sad in this day and age that someones sexualty is news

Banned

Happy for anyone to be criticised, and have an opinion about, but at least have the good graces to prove why you think you then have the right to criticise someone or something that you haven't done, will never do, or know exactly the ins, outs, pressure that comes with doing a particular job.

I could probably criticise you about your job, but I don't do it therefore don't know whether it could or couldn't be done better or worse by me or someone else, so I couldn't back it up to come out saying you are •••• poor at your job could I
    By this line of argument Man City fans could never criticise the managerial genius of Alan Ball when he was taking them down faster than a Russian submarine. Clearly his insight was unquestionable to the great unwashed. Or perhaps another example, we were obviously blind to the esoteric skills of Shakoor Rana in the 80's. Only the truly enlightened could appreciate his impartiality.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    I just find it sad in this day and age that someones sexualty is news
    Sign of the times unfortunately, people like James still feel it necessary to tell the world about their sexuality, just so other people who feel the same, realise that it is OK to be proud of who you are. Despite all the empty vessels banging on about being sick of hearing about it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJose View Post
    Thanks for reminding me why I don’t come on here anymore. Board is littered with you spouting crap like this. See you in a few months when I’ve forgotten again

Lol Will Boris' roadmap be on track by the time you're back?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    By this line of argument Man City fans could never criticise the managerial genius of Alan Ball when he was taking them down faster than a Russian submarine. Clearly his insight was unquestionable to the great unwashed. Or perhaps another example, we were obviously blind to the esoteric skills of Shakoor Rana in the 80's. Only the truly enlightened could appreciate his impartiality.
    Still no, they shouldn't. Doesn't matter whether he was a genius or not, City fans were not and probably never will be a top level football manager, and know what it takes to do that job and do it well, and the daily pressures that come with that job - how can you criticise someone else for their decisions or choices in a position you have and never will be in, I just don't understand.

Happy for you/fans to say you disagree with something, but don't say someone is doing a bad job when then are probably numerous outside influences and factors that come along with a job like a football manager that you have no understanding or visibility of.

In The South Stand

I'm gonna make some assumptions here, lets say you are a 40 year old man, that drives a car and has done for 20 years. What would you say to me, if I were a 20 year with no car, no driving license, and my only experience of driving a car was with my dad once or twice in Tesco carpark, if I called you a shit driver because you didn't indicate when you turned a corner? You'd tell me to •••• off wouldn't you, cos I have no basis to back up saying that because I've never driven a car on the road and had that experience.

What you are saying is exactly the same, basing what you are saying just on observations without experience.
    I don't need to be an experienced ref to know a poor ref when i see one. You can make any analogy you like,it won't change the fact that he is a poor ref. He's been reffing since 2010 and just isn't getting any better. I know people that ref in the nwc league who think he is poor,i know someone who has been a linesman in the superleague who think he is poor. Do i think he should be binned off like you said in your previous post ? no and i never said he should be. But there should be consequences for consistently poor refs,be it more training or a few weeks in the lower leagues ( very rarely does that happen )

In my opinion the blame for the refs and the variety in what they will let happen lies at the door of the controller of reffing,ie. Ganson. They need more help,there have been many threads over the years about this. Just the basic get the linesmen to police the 10m would help the ref.

Banned

Still no, they shouldn't. Doesn't matter whether he was a genius or not, City fans were not and probably never will be a top level football manager, and know what it takes to do that job and do it well, and the daily pressures that come with that job - how can you criticise someone else for their decisions or choices in a position you have and never will be in, I just don't understand.

Happy for you/fans to say you disagree with something, but don't say someone is doing a bad job when then are probably numerous outside influences and factors that come along with a job like a football manager that you have no understanding or visibility of.
    Sick and tired of hearing about 'pressures.' Either you can cope and excel under it or you can't; I'm sure there are many of us in testing roles who'd love to wheel out that line of argument and be excused for poor performance. Sport amongst other things is a results business I'm afraid. You're on a sticky wicket because you're argument has gone OTT into the reaches of elitism.

Banned

I don't need to be an experienced ref to know a poor ref when i see one. You can make any analogy you like,it won't change the fact that he is a poor ref. He's been reffing since 2010 and just isn't getting any better. I know people that ref in the nwc league who think he is poor,i know someone who has been a linesman in the superleague who think he is poor. Do i think he should be binned off like you said in your previous post ? no and i never said he should be. But there should be consequences for consistently poor refs,be it more training or a few weeks in the lower leagues ( very rarely does that happen )

In my opinion the blame for the refs and the variety in what they will let happen lies at the door of the controller of reffing,ie. Ganson. They need more help,there have been many threads over the years about this. Just the basic get the linesmen to police the 10m would help the ref.
    I can see where JBT is at when he advocates people should have at least some sort of knowledge to back up a strong judgement, but there's the obvious that just stares you in the face that transcends this argument at times - like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RPFfZkDWgI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHzax-alxb4
    I'd call that cheating and rank incompetence at its worst. I don't need an umpiring qualification to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Sick and tired of hearing about 'pressures.' Either you can cope and excel under it or you can't; I'm sure there are many of us in testing roles who'd love to wheel out that line of argument and be excused for poor performance. Sport amongst other things is a results business I'm afraid. You're on a sticky wicket because you're argument has gone OTT into the reaches of elitism.
    So you have 20 odd players shouting at you every week in your job do you? Do you have 10 people analyse and review and talk about the decisions you make at work do you? You have thousands of people every day shouting at you as you walk into your office? Have hundreds of people abuse you online (directly and indirectly) on social media do you?

I'm not saying everyone doesn't have pressure at work, I'm saying in a job like this, the scrutiny over what you do/say/conduct yourself is massively heightened compared to your average job that goes to an office job every day.