Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Captain

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Bennett was awful. Got credit for taking us to a World Cup final but in reality he was lucky. Scored 4 points in 2 games against Australia and should have been knocked out in the semis by Tonga if the ref hadn’t cocked up at the end. Then that GB tour was just an absolute embarrassment. I’d have been fascinated to know exactly how much of super league Bennett actually watched. I’d expect the England coach to be watching every single super league match and every NRL game with eligible players playing, it is a full time job after all. If nothing else I expect Wane to give 100% to the job and if he can pick form players in the right positions he’ll be off to a good start!
    Yeah, I'd expect to see Wane in the stands at most big Thursday and Friday night games this season, as there's no reason for the national coach not to do that. It's the best way to judge, and I'm sure he'll be given access to chat with players and coaches after games if he wishes. He can watch the 3 or 4 NRL players he may be considering on the tv or online after all.

The problem with Bennett is that he wasn't just never here or watching our players, but he was actually coaching an NRL side and therefore probably wasn't paying much attention to the players down there either. He was picking on reputation and headlines basically.

In The South Stand

Wane's greatest asset is his sheer passion for the sport. In complete contrast to Bennett who seemed bored by the whole thing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Bennet was an absolute disaster he picked players not good enough, players in the wrong positions, at times we seemed lost and bereft of ideas. And, his PR skills were non existent. We all loved to hate Wane as the pantomime villain, but no one can deny how passionately he wants to win. I think that generally I would expect that passion to overshadow any Wigan favouritism. I feel confident that under Wane we will see a team much more committed with a great team spirit. I wouldn't want to see him at Saints with his 3 in every tackle and hold down for as long as possible. But when it comes down to getting the team up for a big game against the Aussies Kiwis etc. I think we have gone for the best available.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Yeah, I'd expect to see Wane in the stands at most big Thursday and Friday night games this season, as there's no reason for the national coach not to do that. It's the best way to judge, and I'm sure he'll be given access to chat with players and coaches after games if he wishes. He can watch the 3 or 4 NRL players he may be considering on the tv or online after all.

The problem with Bennett is that he wasn't just never here or watching our players, but he was actually coaching an NRL side and therefore probably wasn't paying much attention to the players down there either. He was picking on reputation and headlines basically.
    If you cut and paste all the action from a super league game you’ve only really got an hour to watch so to watch all the super league action you’re only looking at 6 hours a week. If Bennett couldn’t find that time as England coach it’s disgraceful and if he did find the time to watch it all and still selected so badly then he’s an idiot. Either way, good riddance. I didn’t like Wane as Wigan coach (that probably means he was doing his job right) but I’d take a committed English coach over a foreign so called super coach every time.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Bennet was an absolute disaster he picked players not good enough, players in the wrong positions, at times we seemed lost and bereft of ideas. And, his PR skills were non existent. We all loved to hate Wane as the pantomime villain, but no one can deny how passionately he wants to win. I think that generally I would expect that passion to overshadow any Wigan favouritism. I feel confident that under Wane we will see a team much more committed with a great team spirit. I wouldn't want to see him at Saints with his 3 in every tackle and hold down for as long as possible. But when it comes down to getting the team up for a big game against the Aussies Kiwis etc. I think we have gone for the best available.
    Wane isn't as daft as he looks/sounds. He's done very well for himself outside Rugby.

That said I did have him bite on LinkedIn one afternoon when I poked fun about the stupidity of Wiganers and he didn't quite get the joke.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Wane isn't as daft as he looks/sounds. He's done very well for himself outside Rugby.

That said I did have him bite on LinkedIn one afternoon when I poked fun about the stupidity of Wiganers and he didn't quite get the joke.
    Please expand. Sounds a good one this. In fairness I can imagine Wane taking not a bite but a chomp.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Please expand. Sounds a good one this. In fairness I can imagine Wane taking not a bite but a chomp.
    I can't remember exactly what I said but I think he was talking about striving for success and Wigan had lost the week before so referred to that indirectly, he didn't get it and then I made some crack about them being thick. To be fair he didn't take the hump and we're still connected, I do try to keep it business on there but couldn't resist that one. I've met him a couple of times in person and he's actually alright for someone I spent years abusing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post

Agreed I have watched/listened to a few of his interviews/podcasts and he doesn't come across thick at all. He has gone up in my estimation.