Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captain

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Default Captain

There is a thread about captaincy on our forum and i realised i couldnt recall who your captain was last season. Was it Roby? Who is it for this season?
    I assumed Coote would play some leadership rol, but both he and Roby seem quite understated.
    Have the days of a "rollicking behind the posts" type captain gone for good?
    Presumably Wellens was your last although he seems to think this is still part of his role!
    Last edited by Wolfie McWolf; 17th February 2021 at 15:18. Reason: typo

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    There is a thread about captaincy on our forum and i realised i couldnt recall who your captain was last season. Was it Roby? Who is it for this season?
    I assumed Coote would play some leadership rol, but both he and Roby seem quite understated.
    Have the days of a "rollicking behind the posts" type captain gone for good?
    Presumably Wellens was your last although he seems to think this is still part of his role!
    Roby and Roby
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Roby and Roby
    .....and those with exceptional hearing will just about still hear Graham shouting from Australia

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Perhaps so that opposing fans know who the captain of the opposition is he can wear a something to easily make him known like a bright pink bathing cap, or perhaps a Lone Ranger type mask.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Perhaps so that opposing fans know who the captain of the opposition is he can wear a something to easily make him known like a bright pink bathing cap, or perhaps a Lone Ranger type mask.
    Seeing him lift the super league trophy for the last 2 years should be enough of a clue but then again Wire fans won’t have any idea what that’s supposed to look like!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Seeing him lift the super league trophy for the last 2 years should be enough of a clue but then again Wire fans won’t have any idea what that’s supposed to look like!
    Most of them think Clark is the better hooker.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Our captain is the quiet lad who leads by example. Goes by the name of James Roby.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Most of them think Clark is the better hooker.
    Not true AD most have a huge amount of respect for him, I don’t think there is much between them but how much longer Roby can keep on going at the same rate must be cause for concern. Previously there has always been a young pretender ready to step into the breach but it doesn’t seem so clear cut this time.
    Anyway this wasn’t meant to be a Willy waving contest it was more about style of captaincy and whether the grab the team by the throat and pull them along has gone out of fashion or there just aren’t those sort of players around anymore.

Not sure why this has turned into a Warrington bashing thread when the original post was a decent question.

Back on topic I think now it seems that clubs adopt a leadership group whereby 2-3 senior players are the main voices rather than one captain. Obviously there will be one captain nominated but out on the field it’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Not sure why this has turned into a Warrington bashing thread when the original post was a decent question.

Back on topic I think now it seems that clubs adopt a leadership group whereby 2-3 senior players are the main voices rather than one captain. Obviously there will be one captain nominated but out on the field it’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any chance for a bit of Wire bashing. With regard to the style of captaincy there’s no one size fits all. Roby might not be the kind to shout and scream under the posts but I’m sure he talks a lot both on and off the pitch and, when he does, the players listen. He’s also got the ‘leads by example’ part going for him. I’m sure there are others within a leadership group whether it’s selected or natural leaders rising to the top. Can’t be doing too bad a job, captains who’ve won back to back grand finals; Chris Joynt, Kevin Sinfield, James Roby. Decent company.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Not true AD most have a huge amount of respect for him, I don’t think there is much between them but how much longer Roby can keep on going at the same rate must be cause for concern. Previously there has always been a young pretender ready to step into the breach but it doesn’t seem so clear cut this time.
    Anyway this wasn’t meant to be a Willy waving contest it was more about style of captaincy and whether the grab the team by the throat and pull them along has gone out of fashion or there just aren’t those sort of players around anymore.
    The first half of your post is all ‘willy waving’. Then you say its not about willy waving. Im confused.
    Lets not forget that Roby made his debut in 2004 but didn’t get a starting jersey until 2011. He is by far one of the best players in the league. You can not even compare the two. I actually rate Clarke. But to compare him to Roby?? Put your dick back in your pants.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    the first half of your post is all ‘willy waving’. Then you say its not about willy waving. Im confused.
    Lets not forget that roby made his debut in 2004 but didn’t get a starting jersey until 2011. He is by far one of the best players in the league. You can not even compare the two. I actually rate clarke. But to compare him to roby?? Put your dick back in your pants.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    The first half of your post is all ‘willy waving’. Then you say its not about willy waving. Im confused.
    Lets not forget that Roby made his debut in 2004 but didn’t get a starting jersey until 2011. He is by far one of the best players in the league. You can not even compare the two. I actually rate Clarke. But to compare him to Roby?? Put your dick back in your pants.
    I genuinely have no idea how you come to that conclusion, but you clearly struggle to understand anything that non Saints fans say. I haven’t compared the careers of the 2 players. I am saying there is not much to choose between the 2 NOW. I don’t think that is a particularly controversial view but I accept I won’t be able to change your (closed) mind.

I genuinely have no idea how you come to that conclusion, but you clearly struggle to understand anything that non Saints fans say. I haven’t compared the careers of the 2 players. I am saying there is not much to choose between the 2 NOW. I don’t think that is a particularly controversial view but I accept I won’t be able to change your (closed) mind.
    When it comes to the world cup I think it should be Roby (if he fancies it) and Clark as our (England's) hookers. Hodgson should be nowhere near.

Over the last ten years Clark isn't close to what Roby does week-on-week but he is a very capable hooker. In Robes. Clark's compared to someone who can average an 8.5 out of 10 every week over the course of a season whereas he averages a 6-7 or so (in my opinion).

Still much better than most in our competition but whilst he can perform well in some matches he doesn't play to the same level every week.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guns86 View Post
    When it comes to the world cup I think it should be Roby (if he fancies it) and Clark as our (England's) hookers. Hodgson should be nowhere near.

Over the last ten years Clark isn't close to what Roby does week-on-week but he is a very capable hooker. In Robes. Clark's compared to someone who can average an 8.5 out of 10 every week over the course of a season whereas he averages a 6-7 or so (in my opinion).

Still much better than most in our competition but whilst he can perform well in some matches he doesn't play to the same level every week.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Agree with this. Hodgson one of the most overated players Ive seen; his distribution is slow, he holds the ball too long and generally makes too many poor decisions at international level. Id have both Roby and Clarke there and the third choice hooker would be up for grabs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Agree with this. Hodgson one of the most overated players Ive seen; his distribution is slow, he holds the ball too long and generally makes too many poor decisions at international level. Id have both Roby and Clarke there and the third choice hooker would be up for grabs.
    Hodgson has modelled himself on being a poor mans Cameron Smith. For 70-80% of the game Smith sits at PTB and guides the team around, very steady and not flashy. Hodgson thinks this is what a world class hooker does 100% of the time, and has ignored the 20% when Smith is kicking, backing up play or going on his own. Smith can look very boring for most of the game, and Roby is now the same, but it's only a part of it. Smith did the other bits brilliantly which at a similar age Roby now does as well. Hodgson is perfectly competent but he is a way off world class and sits behind Roby for a Test jumper easily IMO.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I have not seen a Hooker as good and consistent as Roby over the length of time he has performed. Over the last 5-6 years Clark has probably been second best. On his day Clark can be devastating, but doesn't do it often enough. For England Roby, with Clark over Hodgson.

To not be as good as Roby is no disgrace. Roby is the most consistent performer I've seen play for Saints. And consistently 8/9 out of 10 performances.

Clark is quality. He showed against us at Wembley how good he is & I rate him highly. He also recognises class as he lives in St Helens

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Hodgson has modelled himself on being a poor mans Cameron Smith. For 70-80% of the game Smith sits at PTB and guides the team around, very steady and not flashy. Hodgson thinks this is what a world class hooker does 100% of the time, and has ignored the 20% when Smith is kicking, backing up play or going on his own. Smith can look very boring for most of the game, and Roby is now the same, but it's only a part of it. Smith did the other bits brilliantly which at a similar age Roby now does as well. Hodgson is perfectly competent but he is a way off world class and sits behind Roby for a Test jumper easily IMO.
    My biggest gripe with Hodgson is that the speed of the distribution is so slow. Half backs generally get lolli-popped floaty passes that reduce the time / space to chose the right passes. Then its made worse by too many ponderous wanders from dummy half that go down a blind alley, too often when the ball should have gone elsewhere.

He was a prime example of 'he plays in the NRL so he MUST be good.' Those arguments went out of the window when Andy Currier and Vince Fawcett tore it up over there. Sadly under previous coaches we've also had players like Heighington getting a shirt when he'd have struggled to make the 13 at Wigan or Saints.

Learning All The Songs

My biggest gripe with Hodgson is that the speed of the distribution is so slow. Half backs generally get lolli-popped floaty passes that reduce the time / space to chose the right passes. Then its made worse by too many ponderous wanders from dummy half that go down a blind alley, too often when the ball should have gone elsewhere.

He was a prime example of 'he plays in the NRL so he MUST be good.' Those arguments went out of the window when Andy Currier and Vince Fawcett tore it up over there. Sadly under previous coaches we've also had players like Heighington getting a shirt when he'd have struggled to make the 13 at Wigan or Saints.

I can’t see that happening under Wayne. I am sure he’ll go for his best 17 players and Hobson is not one of them.
    Last edited by wirefox; 18th February 2021 at 10:59. Reason: Sorry misspelled Hogson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    I can’t see that happening under Wayne. I am sure he’ll go for his best 17 players and Hobson is not one of them.
    Wane could be a huge positive in more ways than one. There needs to be a reconnection to the fans at all levels of the game. People have become dispirited with the malaise in how the sport is run both on and off the field. That one of the panaceas to the latter was to effectively blag Blake Austin, Chris Heighington, Jackson Hastings, Lachlan Coote and Jack Hughes to name a few into a GB/England shirt made the sport look even sillier. Not having beaten Australia in anything that really matters for over 40 years is a national disgrace; to be reduced to picking Australians (some second rate) was a humiliation too far.

Wane looks a rare thing in RL - someone who has actually achieved on and off the field. He's run/runs a prosperous business, enjoyed success at Wigan and carries himself with a demeanour that has commanded respect from those outside of RL circles - watch his interview with Jake Humphrey for an example.

It feels like he can be a totemic figure, at the very least you'd back him to put some pride back into the domestic game. Hopefully we can challenge Australia or at least do it with more enjoyment than under a sourpuss like Bennett.

Unfortunately he can't succeed all by himself and the 'issues in the game' thread outlines the type of like-minded individuals the sport needs if it is to get out of the doldrums.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 18th February 2021 at 11:55.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Heighington was a low point really. His Dad was British and he qualified and all that, but he was brought in for no other reason than he'd played in the NRL for ages so therefore must be better than players here. It was similar to the 'he's played Origin' argument some made to justify why Flannery was a world beater when he played for us.

As for Wane, I agree with your latter post. He's been a figure of hate in these parts, and his style of RL is not one I'd want to watch every week, but for a month in a tournament, do whatever it takes to win the thing. Play hard, play with pride, pick 17 lads that really want to be there and not because they can't get in the Aus or NZ team. It's all quite simple really. Test match RL at the highest level is mental as much as physical. Can you match the other lot for 80, can you make them believe that you're not going to cave in under the weight of history and that feeling of inferiority etc. We've had players that should have won comps in my lifetime, but somewhere along the line in each one of them the Aussies have worked out that they could grind us down, make us have doubts, force an error, a lack of commitment at a vital time. This is what needs to change, and Wane gets it completely.

Wane could be a huge positive in more ways than one. There needs to be a reconnection to the fans at all levels of the game. People have become dispirited with the malaise in how the sport is run both on and off the field. That one of the panaceas to the latter was to effectively blag Blake Austin, Chris Heighington, Jackson Hastings, Lachlan Coote and Jack Hughes to name a few into a GB/England shirt made the sport look even sillier. Not having beaten Australia in anything that really matters for over 40 years is a national disgrace; to be reduced to picking Australians (some second rate) was a humiliation too far.

Wane looks a rare thing in RL - someone who has actually achieved on and off the field. He's run/runs a prosperous business, enjoyed success at Wigan and carries himself with a demeanour that has commanded respect from those outside of RL circles - watch his interview with Jake Humphrey for an example.

It feels like he can be a totemic figure, at the very least you'd back him to put some pride back into the domestic game. Hopefully we can challenge Australia or at least do it with more enjoyment than under a sourpuss like Bennett.

Unfortunately he can't succeed all by himself and the 'issues in the game' thread outlines the type of like-minded individuals the sport needs if it is to get out of the doldrums.
    Bennett was awful. Got credit for taking us to a World Cup final but in reality he was lucky. Scored 4 points in 2 games against Australia and should have been knocked out in the semis by Tonga if the ref hadn’t cocked up at the end. Then that GB tour was just an absolute embarrassment. I’d have been fascinated to know exactly how much of super league Bennett actually watched. I’d expect the England coach to be watching every single super league match and every NRL game with eligible players playing, it is a full time job after all. If nothing else I expect Wane to give 100% to the job and if he can pick form players in the right positions he’ll be off to a good start!

Spot on

As for Bennett, he's lauded as some sort of super coach in Australia. Not sure I could think any less of him as England/GB coach. The way that "tour" went was a disgrace. Glad to see the back of him

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Spot on

As for Bennett, he's lauded as some sort of super coach in Australia. Not sure I could think any less of him as England/GB coach. The way that "tour" went was a disgrace. Glad to see the back of him
    Couldn't agree more. He was so sure that anyone who played NRL was better than anyone who hadn't. It was bad enough he selected Blake Austin but to then play him as a winger! But the call that Heighington was the worse example was bang on.