Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Keeping active during this pandemic

Got A Season Ticket

Default Keeping active during this pandemic

Experts tell us that reading a novel and particularly a thriller can keep your brain stimulated for days.
    I would say that writing a novel can be even better and particularly if it is a novel based on your own life and times.
    Since starting in 1988 I have written six novels in which the two main characters are both Saints fans.
    When I suggest to people that they should try writing, many tell me that they would love to do something now that
    they are stuck at home avoiding this virus but would not know how to do it.
    To help people like that and I reckon they include many Saints fans, I have also written three pages of advice on how
    to get started..
    If you would like to read these pages just E Mail me at wgeofflee@gmail.com and I'll send them to you.
    And if any one wants to know how I have been able to write over half a million words in my Ashurst series, the
    answer is quite simple. I spent five years just after the war at Knowsley Road school learning to read, write and do sums.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Its probably more of a difficult time in this 3rd wave compared to the 1st wave when we had some good weather for a couple of months. I am retired but understand how horrific it is with some young families who both have to work with a large mortgage and have a couple of young kids.

For myself the only effect it has is the limited travel because I would normally travel up to Yorkshire Dales or the Lake District to do my landscape Photography more or less every other week. As for keeping physically active I do a lot more mountain biking and some DIY in the attic, my photography is local now but running out of places because Joe Public are now finding the quiet areas I use to go to. Mentally active is usually watching some training videos on various topics, I have a dormant website which I have re activated, I had already written 4 photography books and thinking of writing a 5th one based on a lockdown year. We also have been watching some excellent crime dramas over the last 6 momths through Prime Video.

I don't think a lot of people could go through another extensive lockdown after this current one ends, the experts now fully understand that we will have to live with the virus instead of expecting to eradicate it, by the end of the year we should be in a more normalized existence.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 16th February 2021 at 10:00.

Starting A Programme Collection

During the first o’clock down , from a selfish point of view it couldn’t have come at a better time . I was having a bad time in work as well as doing a a house renovation so it was perfect timing . I shouldn’t really say that given that it was a nations crisis but that was the situation . I was able to get lots of work done as well as spend quality time with the Children , home schooling which we made the most of . Our exercise was exploring the tracks and trails around St. Helens using it for education as well as exercise. We made the most of that time . The latter two lock downs have become harder . I have changed jobs with a bit more stress and less time albeit , my job now I’m able to contribute to the crisis directly so feel like I’m doing something productive . I’m finding it hard to motivate myself to get out although we walk as a family once per week . I can tell the kids are struggling not being able to let off steam with their friends . The way I have kept busy is pushing on with projects for the house and garden ( I’m not a big TV person ) I’ve increased my Vinyl collection , and made lots of wine ! I’ve also restart my fishing hobby which has been a great thing to do with the kids
    Last edited by Dark Side Of The Moon; 16th February 2021 at 09:39.

Learning All The Songs

I really tried in the first lockdown, it felt like a great chance to reset myself, i felt burnt out because of work and wasnt in the best place mentally, i was out running or cycling every day and felt in great shape physically and mentally. But, 11 months since being furloughed, I am still furloughed, and being able to do less and less since September has really got to me, i am back to where i was last year and am currently on antidepressants.

Once lockdown ended last year I ended up getting back in to golf, it was great to get out and do something, i was able to focus on something, but with lockdown 2 and 3 happening i cant even do that. My hope is that we end up reopening things in the next couple of weeks, and have a clear path towards some sort of normality, because i am running out of tv shows and films that are of any interest.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Obviously, I've missed the rugby, and me and Mrs Kentish haven't been able to travel as much as normal, but TBH, the lockdowns haven't been too bad for us.
    We're both outdoor people and are lucky to live in an area with lots of footpaths (I'm a volunteer footpath warden). Having 2 and 1/2 allotments keeps us busy too.
    I feel more sorry for the singletons who can't date without breaking the rules. Very little is being said by the authorities or the media etc about this group, who must be finding things very tough! I know. My son is one of them.

Anyway, without wishing to highjack glees thread, my other half does some writing and has produced an e-book guide on how to self publish.
    I don't want to break house rules by including the Amazon link.
    Here's the description of what she's done...

"A short, but extremely useful book - for the price of a sandwich!
    Thinking about printing multiple copies of the book you've written?
    This is a straightforward guide that clearly and simply explains the important things - things such as how to find a printing company; how to get a stripy barcode image to put on the back cover; how to distribute your books; what commission you'll need to pay to booksellers.
    It's not for those who just want to print a few copies on demand; this is a 'how to' manual for writers who want to sell perhaps 300, 500 or even 1000 paperback copies of their book.
    No waffle, no fuss - just useful information for first-time publishers."

Please PM me if you're interested.

Banned

It's been a pain in the arse since Christmas with the bad weather and nothing to do. I found myself losing my temper a few times over the past few weeks at not a great deal.

For example, today I've been into Manchester for a medical. I normally quite enjoy a wander around the city centre and almost certainly would have stopped off for few beers on my way home, hardly a big deal I'm sure you'll agree, that ••••ed me off but not only that, I walked down Deansgate which was obviously quiet and it got me thinking all the great bars, shops, restaurants and pretty much everything else was closed, my mind started wandering and thinking "what's the ••••ing point of this lockdown? Ruining millions of lives to save a few vulnerable people", the doctor I seen set me straight on that and it made perfect sense what she said. Oh, and I asked some bird out last night after a few beers and she wasn't interested

Anyway, getting back to keeping busy, the 2 real pleasures I have are walking the dogs and fishing. Ok, neither are great in poor weather but I'm of the opinion, as long as you're properly dressed, most weather is tolerable. My fishing kit has never been so organised either, it's been nice getting out walking to places, travelling light, it certainly kills an afternoon and I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't given it a bash. My light at the end of the tunnel is that I know I'm going back to work soon, the downside of that being it's in Afghanistan and will probably coincide with the bloody pubs and everything else opening up.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I Oh, and I asked some bird out last night after a few beers and she wasn't interested

After that Photo you posted of yourself a few weeks ago, it can only be the effects of the Virus.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    After that Photo you posted of yourself a few weeks ago, it can only be the effects of the Virus.
    And the fact that photo is 15 years old so I've obviously not aged well.

Starting A Programme Collection

It's been a pain in the arse since Christmas with the bad weather and nothing to do. I found myself losing my temper a few times over the past few weeks at not a great deal.

For example, today I've been into Manchester for a medical. I normally quite enjoy a wander around the city centre and almost certainly would have stopped off for few beers on my way home, hardly a big deal I'm sure you'll agree, that ••••ed me off but not only that, I walked down Deansgate which was obviously quiet and it got me thinking all the great bars, shops, restaurants and pretty much everything else was closed, my mind started wandering and thinking "what's the ••••ing point of this lockdown? Ruining millions of lives to save a few vulnerable people", the doctor I seen set me straight on that and it made perfect sense what she said. Oh, and I asked some bird out last night after a few beers and she wasn't interested

Anyway, getting back to keeping busy, the 2 real pleasures I have are walking the dogs and fishing. Ok, neither are great in poor weather but I'm of the opinion, as long as you're properly dressed, most weather is tolerable. My fishing kit has never been so organised either, it's been nice getting out walking to places, travelling light, it certainly kills an afternoon and I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't given it a bash. My light at the end of the tunnel is that I know I'm going back to work soon, the downside of that being it's in Afghanistan and will probably coincide with the bloody pubs and everything else opening up.

Afghanistan! - count your blessings pal , it could have been Platt bridge !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Afghanistan! - count your blessings pal , it could have been Platt bridge !
    True enough, at the locals won't smell as bad. Nothing I haven't done before, it's not actually that bad to be honest, I'm looking forward to getting back in the gym and a bit of clean living.

Some pics from years back.

The Saints shirt was in our compound bar in Kabul, no one had any idea how it got there. It also appeared to be a players shirt as it had a number wrote on the label, 18 Mark Edmonson.

Learning All The Songs

I've set literally thousands of quiz questions for various platforms since March last year. During Lockdown 1, I wasn't able to leave the house as my wife is in the Clinically Extremely Vulnerable category, but at least since then I've been able to take the dog for his daily walk/walks

Banned

the downside of that being it's in Afghanistan and will probably coincide with the bloody pubs and everything else opening up.

In case it crops up, just be aware that the Taliban Arms isn't a pub.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    But if it was there would be shots aplenty.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    There's actually a couple of places you can get a semi legal drink if you know where to look. I'll be keeping well clear obviously.