Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elstone

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    This is it in a nutshell. The thing that might have brought about a different scenario (for better or worse) was the private equity deal going through. My suspicion (and I admit that it is only speculation) is that Elstone has walked because that equity deal was basically his project - a project that, had it gone through, might have given him power to get decisions through - and the clubs voted it down.

I found Elstone to be generally unimpressive in the role - I heard a lot from him about where RL needed to get to but I can't remember ever hearing anything about how it was going to get there. But I do feel sorry for him in a way, as his hands were tied from the start - as far as I can tell he was employed to demonstrate some sort of unity amongst the clubs as they broke away from RFL governance, but as far as leading the competition goes he might as well not have been there. The game was effectively throwing his doubtless considerable salary down the toilet.
    Add to that the cost of consultants he has used.

RL could have funded Toronto as a loss leader for a couple of years on the basis of his salary , consultants costs and support staff alone.

That's a chilling stat.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Add to that the cost of consultants he has used.

RL could have funded Toronto as a loss leader for a couple of years on the basis of his salary , consultants costs and support staff alone.

That's a chilling stat.
    Or Cas could have been given some of those new fangled flushing toilets

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    it is irrelevant whether the person who replaces him has the stomach for the tough decisions, because the club owners will just vote down anything they don't like. I'm sure that Elstone would have been happy to have a lot more power and be able to implement his ideas if he was able to.

His/her first order of business should be to remove all that power from the clubs and pass it to an independent executive board.....but the clubs have to vote on it for it to happen, and they will just vote it down because they are worried about their position.

The only way I can see any change is for the top clubs to threaten to walk away and set their own independent competition up.. Saints/Wigan/Wire would probably go for that and they could probably take a few others like Hull FC with them, but it would need SKY to want that too and I dont think they would have the appetite for that.
    I don't think that you can expect them to give up their voting power to an individual they have employed. The owners are the one's that have put the money in, and it is their money any CEO would be playing with.
    There are a few successful business men in SL. I would like to see a situation where a core of group of owners such as Mc Manus, Whelan, Davy for example, were given a steering role along with some outside help in the form of a marketing guru and perhaps someone from or near the top of the NRL.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't think that you can expect them to give up their voting power to an individual they have employed. The owners are the one's that have put the money in, and it is their money any CEO would be playing with.
    There are a few successful business men in SL. I would like to see a situation where a core of group of owners such as Mc Manus, Whelan, Davy for example, were given a steering role along with some outside help in the form of a marketing guru and perhaps someone from or near the top of the NRL.
    well, that is fundamentally the problem. The CEO shouldn't be employed by the club owners. Super League should be an independent body, run by an independent board and CEO - which the club owners apply to be a member of. McManus / Moran / Lenegan or whoever should have little or no say in the overall strategy and direction. Club owners like Carter at Wakefield should not be able to vote on important issues like who is or is not in competition - where they have a huge conflict of interest in the outcome of the decisions....if they don't like whatever decisions are made by the independent organisation they can leave and enter another competition, not just block anything being implemented that they dont like.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    well, that is fundamentally the problem. The CEO shouldn't be employed by the club owners. Super League should be an independent body, run by an independent board and CEO - which the club owners apply to be a member of. McManus / Moran / Lenegan or whoever should have little or no say in the overall strategy and direction. Club owners like Carter at Wakefield should not be able to vote on important issues like who is or is not in competition - where they have a huge conflict of interest in the outcome of the decisions....if they don't like whatever decisions are made by the independent organisation they can leave and enter another competition, not just block anything being implemented that they dont like.
    In an ideal world you may be right. The Problem is SL has not been established that way from the start. Whoever you get to run SL is going to want a cut, so that is more money taken from the clubs. How would this SL entrepreneur take control? Buy in? Who from? By who and how would this company be appointed? If it could come about then I would see lots of positives not least raising of SC and improved facilities.

Got A Season Ticket

It seems the super league clubs didn't know the terms of Elstones contract and when Lenegan was asked on Friday he said he couldn't remember
    Pure farce springs to mind with everything the RL and SL are involved with

[QUOTE=steve17;812727]It seems the super league clubs didn't know the terms of Elstones contract and when Lenegan was asked on Friday he said he couldn't remember
    Pure farce springs to mind with everything the RL and SL are involved with[/QUOTE.

At least McManus opposed private equity. As you say a farce with the only person involved with the contract can’t remember the notice period. We just seem to lurch from farce to the next.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 16th February 2021 at 02:41.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Did Elstone used to come back off his Blackpool or Rhyl holiday to empty the bandit.
    Yeah ultimately we should be thankful the RFL don’t have an oxygen thief like Marie Rimmer in charge of the sport. An absolute embarrassment to the town.

Perhaps thats another issue; generally there appears limited intellect in many RL constituencies that could challenge the woeful governance of the sport. Judging by Rimmer and many Labour idiots penning some of the most ill informed nonsense on horse racing recently perhaps its a blessing they are passive on RL issues.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 15th February 2021 at 21:24.

Banned

No you have nailed it. Rimmer and Wood are birds of a feather. They are buffet munchers who got lucky, sadly it's normal folk be it fans or electorate who suffer. It's strange in life. Politics, RL Governance and the Church people get lucky. Eamon, Moran and Whelan are rich for various reasons and it's not normally built on luck.

Elstone now alledgedly wants them to pay him his notice period up. I would make him come in every day at 9 and stick him behind a desk until 5. 440K a year and if it's true it's 12 months notice. WOW.

RL is basically a gravy train for those lucky enough to know the right people to obtain a position.

There's probably only the Sky money keeping the professional game afloat. Once that dries up, that will be the end.

The more I think about it, the less I care. Let it run its course
    It's an unmitigated shambles, it needs a complete clear out. That'll never happen so what's the point?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    RL is basically a gravy train for those lucky enough to know the right people to obtain a position.

There's probably only the Sky money keeping the professional game afloat. Once that dries up, that will be the end.

It's an unmitigated shambles, it needs a complete clear out. That'll never happen so what's the point?
    I agree Ralph, let it take its course.

The game is in a terrible mess and unless powerful people will compromise, I can't see a way out. I wouldn't be surprised if Elstone has been met with intractable problems and is fed up of it. I wonder whether only a major crisis is the only way out. The problem is that any major crisis could be existential, but so be it.

I've been watching old games on Youtube and in many cases the game looked much better to watch. I only ever watch Saints games now, but I despair watching wingers run it back into a pack of forwards on their own 25 yard line. Long range tries and creative half back plays are few and far between. Its become too formulaic for my taste. The make up of the league with a need for loop fixtures to make up the numbers and the exodus to Australia says it all for me, but none of that is inevitable.

Maybe it should just become an amateur game that people love to play.

Who emptied half of your glass? Though I think your first two para's are spot on.

Who emptied half of your glass? Though I think your first two para's are spot on.
    The fans won't be listened to. Because what they want is accountability. The powers that be won't let that happen. Like trying to break into a casket getting through to the governing body

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Everton, RFL , whose next on the list = 'come dancing' ?.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Everton, RFL , whose next on the list = 'come dancing' ?.
    Parliament, thats where all the garbage ends up doesnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    ��

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post

This shower of shite in power now could teach even Woody the Buffet Slayer a thing or two about corruption:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/po...-report/14/10/
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...contracts.html
    https://goodlawproject.org/update/go...ch-of-the-law/

The Good Law Project are systematically taking legal action against these corrupt scumbags.

Elstone out from today. I wonder how much he is walking away with.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...body-on-friday

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Elstone out from today. I wonder how much he is walking away with.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...body-on-friday
    Reads like a statement put together by H.R. with a littls bit of input from Rob.

I cant believe hes been in the job since '18. I cant really see what difference he has made tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Reads like a statement put together by H.R. with a littls bit of input from Rob.

I cant believe hes been in the job since '18. I cant really see what difference he has made tbh.
    Combining what you and Belgian have said....

Got paid very well to not achieve a lot but I wonder how much his hands were tied behind his back so to speak. That said and has been said previously, I don't know one Everton fan with a good word to say about his time there.

Another shambles to be honest. The one person who should have been given an important role post RLWC 2013 was Sally Bolton. Unfortunately, she was probably seen as a threat as she would have ran rings around Wood & Co.

The 2013 RLWC was nothing short of outstanding. Brilliantly organised and marketed. And the person at the head of it never got the chance to push on and drag the sport over here and the International game up by the boot laces.

Behind every successful organisation are successful, hardworking, intelligent people with common sense and a drive to achieve bigger and better.

We missed a trick with Sally Bolton, we really did

Got paid very well to not achieve a lot but I wonder how much his hands were tied behind his back so to speak. That said and has been said previously, I don't know one Everton fan with a good word to say about his time there.

Another shambles to be honest. The one person who should have been given an important role post RLWC 2013 was Sally Bolton. Unfortunately, she was probably seen as a threat as she would have ran rings around Wood & Co.

The 2013 RLWC was nothing short of outstanding. Brilliantly organised and marketed. And the person at the head of it never got the chance to push on and drag the sport over here and the International game up by the boot laces.

Behind every successful organisation are successful, hardworking, intelligent people with common sense and a drive to achieve bigger and better.

The lady did an excellent job with the world cup , does anyone know what she's upto now ?.

Banned

The lady did an excellent job with the world cup , does anyone know what she's upto now ?.
    Chief Exec at Wimbledon (not the football club )

Banned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Chief Exec at Wimbledon (not the football club )
    Chief exec at Wimbledon

She was miles better than Wood, but I don't know the circumstances of her leaving. Was she interested in staying on?