Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Wigan For Sale

  1. #1
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,085
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Wigan For Sale

    https://www.totalrl.com/lenagan-to-s...take-in-wigan/

    Any Offers..............................You get the name and some players under contract that's it? Nowt else of value.

    I'll give 1.50

  2. #2
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    659
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    https://www.totalrl.com/lenagan-to-s...take-in-wigan/

    Any Offers..............................You get the name and some players under contract that's it? Nowt else of value.

    I'll give 1.50
    And the obligation to pay for new carpet every few years.

  3. #3
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,799
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    And the obligation to pay for new carpet every few years.
    Cant believe 2 hours have gone and no RG! I expect Mike Danson may get a mention.

  4. #4
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Rogues didn't see that coming, or did he? The man on at the mouth of Oral doesn't miss much, although no one told him they have moved to a Council running track. Wait for his spin on the shagpile.

  5. #5
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,734
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    But Danson does have an excellent record through is businesses of developing youngsters to an elite or England level.

    In truth not sure how I feel about this, a guy with plenty of money taking ownership..

  6. #6
    Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,196
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    But Danson does have an excellent record through is businesses of developing youngsters to an elite or England level.

    In truth not sure how I feel about this, a guy with plenty of money taking ownership..
    His net worth is apparently 1.17 billion. That's crazy money. If he joins then the salary cap is here to stay, there is no way the rest of SL will scrap the cap.

  7. #7
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,134
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    His net worth is apparently 1.17 billion. That's crazy money. If he joins then the salary cap is here to stay, there is no way the rest of SL will scrap the cap.
    You're most likely correct.

    However, if it takes someone as successful as him to have an influence & drag the sport up by it's ankles, then I'll accept it. Might mean Wigan winning a lot but so be it

  8. #8
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,518
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Rogues didn't see that coming, or did he? The man on at the mouth of Oral doesn't miss much, although no one told him they have moved to a Council running track. Wait for his spin on the shagpile.
    Yes I did and I know quite a bit more than I'm willing to say. Lenagan is 75 and should be looking to retire IMO for the sake of his health and well being. However I don't think it'll be for a couple of years yet. Danson bought 25% last year and is worth a lot of money.

  9. #9
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,085
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Yes I did and I know quite a bit more than I'm willing to say. Lenagan is 75 and should be looking to retire IMO for the sake of his health and well being. However I don't think it'll be for a couple of years yet. Danson bought 25% last year and is worth a lot of money.
    Until Superleague remove the salary cap you can only spend the same as everyone else. But he will have the clout to bid big money for player in transfer fee's.

    If I was a Pie Eater (god forbid) I'd want him to build a new stadium just for the rugby similar in size to Saints and Warrington. Somewhere you could call home??

  10. #10
    Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,196
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Until Superleague remove the salary cap you can only spend the same as everyone else. But he will have the clout to bid big money for player in transfer fee's.

    If I was a Pie Eater (god forbid) I'd want him to build a new stadium just for the rugby similar in size to Saints and Warrington. Somewhere you could call home??
    apart from marquee players. Maybe for SL to increase the salary cap or get rid of it, the RFL can bring in a financial fair play type system, similar to UEFA (yes I am aware of how Man City and PSG allegedly got round it).

  11. #11
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,462
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You're most likely correct.

    However, if it takes someone as successful as him to have an influence & drag the sport up by it's ankles, then I'll accept it. Might mean Wigan winning a lot but so be it

    I'd rather the scum went bust.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  12. #12
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Yes I did and I know quite a bit more than I'm willing to say. Lenagan is 75 and should be looking to retire IMO for the sake of his health and well being. However I don't think it'll be for a couple of years yet. Danson bought 25% last year and is worth a lot of money.
    Bluffer. You knew less than the OP. Otherwise you would have been spouting the usual diatribe. Lots of carpets then.

  13. #13
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,518
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Bluffer. You knew less than the OP. Otherwise you would have been spouting the usual diatribe. Lots of carpets then.
    I knew it wasn't true, hence the BIG hint in my post,

  14. #14
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    659
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'd rather the scum went bust.
    Only problem with that is, i think if either us, them, Leeds or Warrington went that way the sport would most likely go with it, none of the other clubs have enough draw to bring people in to the game.

  15. #15
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I knew it wasn't true, hence the BIG hint in my post,
    You are as knowledgeable as Gypsy Rosa on Morecambe Prom. You cast a wide net and hope to catch something. Bluffer.

  16. #16
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,134
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'd rather the scum went bust.
    Hahahaha.

    Fair point

  17. #17
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,134
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Only problem with that is, i think if either us, them, Leeds or Warrington went that way the sport would most likely go with it, none of the other clubs have enough draw to bring people in to the game.
    I enjoyed it around 2005 to 2008 when giving Wigan a pasting was fairly regular

  18. #18
    Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Lenagan denies the sale of the club.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/55981113
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.


  19. #19
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    1,843
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HoofeHearted View Post
    Lenagan denies the sale of the club.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/55981113
    After having no takers!

  20. #20
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,462
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I enjoyed it around 2005 to 2008 when giving Wigan a pasting was fairly regular

    That season when they should have been relegated, their pack was laughably awful, really powderpuff. Only by cheating and signing Fielden despite knowing it smashed their salary cap did they escape relegation (didn't they also have Radlinski play for free for them, too, and sign [was it?] Dobson). It still rankles how the world and his dog knew what they were doing and still the RFL/SL approved the signings.

    Wonder how Trent Barratt would have fared in the Championship?
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  21. #21
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    228
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    That season when they should have been relegated, their pack was laughably awful, really powderpuff. Only by cheating and signing Fielden despite knowing it smashed their salary cap did they escape relegation (didn't they also have Radlinski play for free for them, too, and sign [was it?] Dobson). It still rankles how the world and his dog knew what they were doing and still the RFL/SL approved the signings.

    Wonder how Trent Barratt would have fared in the Championship?
    It was only "the spirit of the salary cap" that they broke - you couldn't make it up......

  22. #22
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Avoiding relegation was a moral victory though. it counterbalanced the injustice of 1982.

  23. #23
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,829
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I enjoyed it around 2005 to 2008 when giving Wigan a pasting was fairly regular
    I enjoyed it more at their place, and I remember an absolute caning we gave them in Cardiff around that time which was fun, but a few of the KR league wins were bloody boring as far as derbies go. I remember at least three where we put 40 on them and the atmosphere went from electric to 'this is easy' very quickly. Of course, we had the 75-0 as well, that was magic.

    I remember thinking at the time that this must have been how they felt in the bad old days were derbies were bigger for us because most years they beat us and it became slightly routine. I obviously want us to be better but I like derbies to feel massive all the time with a modicum of fear and tension before we beat them!

  24. #24
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,518
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Avoiding relegation was a moral victory though. it counterbalanced the injustice of 1982.
    What happened in 1982, apart from us beating Saints in the challenge cup?

  25. #25
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Bite!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •