Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Burgess and the piescum

Banned

Default George Burgess and the piescum

This potential corruption needs its own thread because the reek of fish coming from that arrangement is overpowering.

If you're a player who us injured but has a 2 year contract left, do you:

a) agree to relinquish the 2 years of pay and try to recover whilst having no income;

or

b) collect the wages you're entitled to whilst you recover, and aim to win your place back in time

The only way anyone would take option a) is if they're either a retard, or have received a huge payoff under the table (so it doesn't count toward the cap)

Obviously as it's the pie f*cking shitheads, the powers that be won't bother investigating what is a potential huge and deliberate act to cheat the salary cap system.

I've come to expect both cheating from the scum, and the RFL/SL to look the other way.

In The South Stand

It's the timing of it more than anything that i find weird. If he wasn't right at the end of last season ( and we all know he wasn't ) then either fix him then or pay him off then. With pre season underway and what 6 weeks till the new season kicks off releasing him now seems odd.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I’d be surprised if the pay out isn’t a whole years salary plus medical fees. I don’t know the rules for effectively buying out contracts or settlements to players but I assume it’s regulated otherwise moneybags owners could sign, for example, Tedesco on a 4 year contract and ‘mutually terminate’ the last year meaning 4 years pay for a 3 year contract.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I’d be surprised if the pay out isn’t a whole years salary plus medical fees. I don’t know the rules for effectively buying out contracts or settlements to players but I assume it’s regulated otherwise moneybags owners could sign, for example, Tedesco on a 4 year contract and ‘mutually terminate’ the last year meaning 4 years pay for a 3 year contract.
    Quite a bad predicament he's in with his hip by the sounds of it

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    This potential corruption needs its own thread because the reek of fish coming from that arrangement is overpowering.

If you're a player who us injured but has a 2 year contract left, do you:

a) agree to relinquish the 2 years of pay and try to recover whilst having no income;

or

b) collect the wages you're entitled to whilst you recover, and aim to win your place back in time

The only way anyone would take option a) is if they're either a retard, or have received a huge payoff under the table (so it doesn't count toward the cap)

Obviously as it's the pie f*cking shitheads, the powers that be won't bother investigating what is a potential huge and deliberate act to cheat the salary cap system.

I've come to expect both cheating from the scum, and the RFL/SL to look the other way.
    c) Some sort of critical illness insurance cover?

Edit. I've just noticed a 'thumbs down' at the top of my reply. I've no idea why!

Learning All The Songs

Dunno what way it works but the lad needs a season and a half to recover (if he does make a full recovery) post surgery.
    As a few have pointed out medical insurance has probably covered his contract so it is best for all concerned to release him, I think we did similar with Lance, though there was a touch of bad blood later with Lance saying we did not take care of him during his concussions.
    Mose was paid for his contract duration and his is a life changing, not career ending injury.
    Burgess has probably had his career now and was more than likely coming to his peak for a prop, like Wello before him a sad way to have to finish but he has tested himself at the highest level.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post

If he was retiring, yes. There's many hoops that need to be jumped through, though - most critically that the player retires.

But this isn't being presented as that. Burgess is saying he's going to get his hip right then return to playing, and the scum are just stating the contract's been terminated by mutual agreement.

When players pick up, say, an ACL injury that'll keep them out for a season, you don't see clubs terminating their contracts 'by mutual agreement'.

No, this is just the over-entitled piescum cheating to get out of having to face the consequences of signing a pudding.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post

Edit. I've just noticed a 'thumbs down' at the top of my reply. I've no idea why!
    Dont most covers of that type require the player to retire before paying out? Didnt Greg Inglis get his payout because he was forced to retire and isnt able to play in the NRL again because it would void his payout, surely this case would be something similar, given that he hasnt announced he has had to retire because of it?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

If he was retiring, yes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Dont most covers of that type require the player to retire before paying out? ...
    I'm no expert in insurance cover.
    I don't know what, if any, cover a player or club would have, but I would imagine that there are many different packages out there to suit all sorts of situations.
    If the price is right, an insurance company probably would offer to cover this sort of thing, without a 'requirement' for the player to retire.
    I'm fairly sure that's what happens in more general insurance policies, where someone can't work for a while, but does recover (and doesn't have to retire).

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    It's the timing of it more than anything that i find weird. If he wasn't right at the end of last season ( and we all know he wasn't ) then either fix him then or pay him off then. With pre season underway and what 6 weeks till the new season kicks off releasing him now seems odd.
    Do you honestly think the decision was only made in the last week?

Starting A Programme Collection

I hate to defend the Pie Scum and that'snot my intention but:

Could it be that he wants to return 'home' to Aus which I assume is now his adopted home and the only option to do that was to terminate his contract? Would he want to do 18months rehab in this country away from his folks?

Just a thought and yes I do hate myself for it

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Do you honestly think the decision was only made in the last week?
    Why was he given a squad number if it was known this was going to happen ?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    I hate to defend the Pie Scum and that'snot my intention but:

Could it be that he wants to return 'home' to Aus which I assume is now his adopted home and the only option to do that was to terminate his contract? Would he want to do 18months rehab in this country away from his folks?

Just a thought and yes I do hate myself for it
    I think that is probably it. If he didn't accept the termination and insisted on full pay for the year, Wigan would be within their contractual rights to basically hold him hostage in Wigan until his contract expires - they could make him go in for training/rehab/physio work every day if they wanted to make like difficult for him. Clearly neither party would want that, so makes sense to agree to a termination and small pay off.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I believe that there is something in the SC rules that states that a club can have a player be taken off the SC list provided he does not play a competitive game during the season due to injury but can still pay them as they are an employee and have employees and contractual rights. Given the prognosis that Burgess will not be able to play next season I guess Wigan have gone for this and paid his salary up (at least in part) for the season and declined to take up an option on the final year of a 2+1 contract or paid some compensation for the 3rd year.

Castleford were caught out by this when Gale got taken out for the season in the first couple of matches, while I believe one of the Hull clubs used the above clause to their advantage a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by Doctor_Feelgood; 7th February 2021 at 18:27. Reason: typo

Embarrassed at this thread personally.

GB is absolutely done, will be lucky to get a game at Rochdale Hornets unless he has a miraculous recovery.

Wigan have openly said they’ve agreed a severance, and if I could take a years salary and go back to Australia for rehab I would. They’ve got the life of Reilly there, 90% back to normal is stay in this s||it hole of a country?

If Wigan wanted to pay him off under the table they wouldn’t be making such a public show.

The paranoia on here is palpable.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket

Or maybe Burgess feels comfortable living on the £2 to £3 million he earned in the NRL?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

If he was retiring, yes. There's many hoops that need to be jumped through, though - most critically that the player retires.

But this isn't being presented as that. Burgess is saying he's going to get his hip right then return to playing, and the scum are just stating the contract's been terminated by mutual agreement.

When players pick up, say, an ACL injury that'll keep them out for a season, you don't see clubs terminating their contracts 'by mutual agreement'.

No, this is just the over-entitled piescum cheating to get out of having to face the consequences of signing a pudding.
    Then they should have done the same with Clubb and Flower.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Embarrassed at this thread personally.

GB is absolutely done, will be lucky to get a game at Rochdale Hornets unless he has a miraculous recovery.

Wigan have openly said they’ve agreed a severance, and if I could take a years salary and go back to Australia for rehab I would. They’ve got the life of Reilly there, 90% back to normal is stay in this s||it hole of a country?

If Wigan wanted to pay him off under the table they wouldn’t be making such a public show.

The paranoia on here is palpable.
    Yup.

Got A Season Ticket

For the life of me, I still cannot believe they signed him in the first place. Every man and his dog knew that his body was shot. He wasnt even in full time training in his last season with souths and every single NRL team rejected the chance to sign him because of his hip. Wigan must have had their head in the sand for the past 3 years. Its like the time they crowed to the press that they were going to Australia to sign Mark Gasnier and we know who they came back with instead lol

I have no issue if Wigan did pay him off. In the end they could give him his money to coach the juniors or work in the shop.

It would just be good if the RFL actually made taking players off the salary cap in the event they have a season ending injury automatic rather than having to ask for exceptions.
    Last edited by Noel Cleal; 9th February 2021 at 13:42.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I have no issue if Wigan did pay him off. In the end they could give him his money to coach the juniors or work in the shop.

It would just be good if the RFL actually made taking players off the salary cap in the event they have a season ending injury automatic rather than having to ask for exceptions.

I totally oppose that principle - and think SL should allow no exceptions from the cap for injuries, no matter how prolonged.

We've had players miss seasons through ACL's and broken legs during the time of the Cap, yet never whined about getting a Cap exemption. Injuries are part and parcel, and just down to luck which normally evens out over years. That's why we have squads.

If the scum have paid him off, then that should count towards the Cap, spread over a maximum of the payer's remaining contract (2 years).

Thick As Mince

I totally oppose that principle - and think SL should allow no exceptions from the cap for injuries, no matter how prolonged.

We've had players miss seasons through ACL's and broken legs during the time of the Cap, yet never whined about getting a Cap exemption. Injuries are part and parcel, and just down to luck which normally evens out over years. That's why we have squads.

If the scum have paid him off, then that should count towards the Cap, spread over a maximum of the payer's remaining contract (2 years).

It's good to have rivals but you are on another level. You harbour an awful lot of anger. Think you could do with some professional help. Judging by your tag line at the bottom of all the people you hate, you hate 52% of the country and then the rest of the Wigan remainers. I don't think I've ever come across anybody who actively hates millions of people before for not believing in Sir Webbo's ways. Must be a very lonely existence. Cap doffed to the Saints fans who enjoy a healthy rivalry like myself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    It's good to have rivals but you are on another level. You harbour an awful lot of anger. Think you could do with some professional help. Judging by your tag line at the bottom of all the people you hate, you hate 52% of the country and then the rest of the Wigan remainers. I don't think I've ever come across anybody who actively hates millions of people before for not believing in Sir Webbo's ways. Must be a very lonely existence. Cap doffed to the Saints fans who enjoy a healthy rivalry like myself.

Bless

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Wiganer View Post
    Don't they have irony in Wigan?

I broadly agree with Webbo's sentiments but I can still interact civilly evenly with pie eaters.

One of my problems with the 4 groups he mentions is that they have a shortage of humour & tolerance of other views.

PS just realised Yorkshire men need adding to the list....

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Don't they have irony in Wigan?

I broadly agree with Webbo's sentiments but I can still interact civilly evenly with pie eaters.

One of my problems with the 4 groups he mentions is that they have a shortage of humour & tolerance of other views.

PS just realised Yorkshire men need adding to the list....
    If you have a problem with other peoples views perhaps you should be added to that list.