Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues in the game

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    And here is our sponsor list:

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/commercial/sponsors/

It also looks pretty impressive but I understand why people would like a more upmarket image than Cash Converters and Totally Wicked. I note, however, that Travis Perkins sponsor Northampton because the company is based in Northampton. I presume the same applies to the shoe company on their list. It would be interesting to know which club gets the most money from its sponsors.
    TPs, Toolstation (part of TPs), Church's (next door pretty much to the Gardens), Barclaycard, Redrow along with other big brands on their reel all have large/head offices in Northampton. The one positive of Northampton as a town is its geo location and spot on M1, M6, A14, M40 means there are a lot of big names based in the place and as such with a nice ground and excellent corporate facilities and a regular 12-14k in the ground its a good sponsorship opportunity. Little else bar sport to do in the place

Learning All The Songs

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

It seems to me reading this thread that all the wrong people are running our sport?
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    It seems to me reading this thread that all the wrong people are running our sport?
    The tragedy here is this statement can be taken in different contexts:
    1. Leadership - do we simply have a leadership that doesn't have the right skillset to lead and govern the sport?
    2. Corporate governance - is the organisational structure wrong so that decision making wrapped in conflict of interests and lack of transparency?
    3. Talent acquisition and - self explanatory but do we also have the wrong people in the wrong roles. I'm sure some staff would be better performers in different roles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    TPs, Toolstation (part of TPs), Church's (next door pretty much to the Gardens), Barclaycard, Redrow along with other big brands on their reel all have large/head offices in Northampton. The one positive of Northampton as a town is its geo location and spot on M1, M6, A14, M40 means there are a lot of big names based in the place and as such with a nice ground and excellent corporate facilities and a regular 12-14k in the ground its a good sponsorship opportunity. Little else bar sport to do in the place

Perhaps we'll be able to attract sponsorship of some of the companies who will move into the huge Parkside that's going to get the go-ahead? A good bit of PR - although the Newton NIMBYs won't be swayed.

Banned

Has anyone noticed much on SKY that has promoted the nee season? You would’nt think SL kicks off tomorrow from what Ive seen.

Banned

It is always a strange concept the Gang of Four. The SL have changed tack and put forward Davy of Huddersfield with double glazed Gary, Renter Lenaghan and whatever Pearson is of Hull for negotiations with the broadcaster and sponsors. Davy whilst the most capable of those four must be approaching ninety.

He has on the face of it stood away from the club he owns lock stock and barrel. SKY must be laughing at the sport, it looks like pen knife to a gun fight. They had the answer in Sally Bolton. Now they are still paying Elstone and need to find millions for a merchant banker finders fee. The sport is at the crossroads. Root cause? Wood.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    The RFL Chairman has teed me up nicely really with his 'nothing to see here' interview in the RL Express. Basically we need to stop moaning, stop bothering with the 'politics' and just enjoy the game like the simpletons we are. The letter should act as a nice repose if they bother giving it as much coverage as his verbal waffle this week.
    Gray, have you had any feedback from the distribution of the letter?

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Root cause? Wood.
    The root cause of the game's problems, most of which are massively overstated for some reason on here, relate much more to the actions of the clubs than anything else. Trying to pin it on someone who left their role three years ago and who negotiated the current TV deal which the existing management are finding it tough to come even close to doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, other than finding a simple scapegoat everyone can agree they like kicking.

It's the clubs who make repeatedly bad strategic decisions at Super League level, they are the ones who decided to go down the Elstone route, they are the ones who decided to kick out Toronto. Most of them can't even run their clubs effectively so having them in charge of all the big decisions is just disastrous.
    Not all clubs voted for some of the worst decisions, but as far as I know, apart from McManus and Hetherington, none have until now voiced disapproval of the idea of teams voting on the fates of other teams or for the terrible practice of having all clubs having a vote on each and every strategic decision.

Hopefully that Saints/Leeds voting bloc will be able to make their influence felt going forward. The reality is the game needs a strong, empowered central executive who takes accounts of the views of the clubs but will act overall in the widest interests of the sport. Arguably we've not had that since Maurice Lindsay and even he had to answer to those all-club meetings. When the clubs make all the decisions then things will inevitably be flavoured with their self-interest at heart, it would be wrong for them not to. Deal with this inherent problem and we'll begin to at least start to make a bit more progress.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Gray, have you had any feedback from the distribution of the letter?
    In a word, no. Two weeks after they'll have received it I've heard nothing from the RFL, Super League Europe, the All-Party group, etc. Also sent it to RL Express who haven't bothered printing even bits of it. I sent Sadler a tweet yesterday asking why he had ignored a letter signed by dozens of fans, but he hasn't replied. Let's face facts, the moment has gone. People are now too bothered arguing about the games every weekend, the moment to discuss the sport in general has been and gone until after the World Cup, but in reality, as someone said above, we get what we deserve really. Not enough people think there's a problem, and so no problems get addressed.

In The South Stand

In a word, no. Two weeks after they'll have received it I've heard nothing from the RFL, Super League Europe, the All-Party group, etc. Also sent it to RL Express who haven't bothered printing even bits of it. I sent Sadler a tweet yesterday asking why he had ignored a letter signed by dozens of fans, but he hasn't replied. Let's face facts, the moment has gone. People are now too bothered arguing about the games every weekend, the moment to discuss the sport in general has been and gone until after the World Cup, but in reality, as someone said above, we get what we deserve really. Not enough people think there's a problem, and so no problems get addressed.
    Thanks for trying.

In The South Stand

It's disgusting that these parasites that make a living off our sport ignore the fans that are its lifeblood.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    It's disgusting that these parasites that make a living off our sport ignore the fans that are its lifeblood.
    This

Thanks for trying with this Gray.

Find it funny how you have had no acknowledgement though. Maybe they haven't got the nous to provide a coherent response?

When I emailed them a while back about the CC being at Wembley (ridiculous in my opinion as the stadium is too big), I got a response pretty quickly. Granted, it was a cut paste job & not worth a carrot, but at least they responded.

I think it's less to do with the numbers & more to do with the challenging content. They have swept it under the carpet and they hope it goes away. So I'll contact the League Express next over the weekend.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Thanks Gray, your efforts are appreciated here, if not by ignoramuses who govern our sport. They couldn’t find their arse with both hands.
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I'd like to echo the thanks expressed above for your efforts to date, but perhaps all is not lost?
    With folks working from home etc it's just possible that a replies will eventually find their way back to you. Just taking a little longer than 'normal'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post

It's these 'parasites' that were the target for criticism. Perhaps they've taken it personally

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

That's a pity, and a sad indictment of the sport's administration and press in general. I could understand them taking time to respond to everything, but not without acknowledging receipt. Meanwhile we have Phil Clarke addressing the same thing in portions. IE Rule changes and referees. Maybe someone showed him the letter. Hopefully we will get a response in time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It's these 'parasites' that were the target for criticism. Perhaps they've taken it personally
    This is the more likely senario. They'll probably have a good laugh about it at their freebie ••••up.

Fair play to Gray for taking the time to do this in a concise and reasonable way. For now it may not be the time to continue this fight but we shouldn't forget it. There's not much that's worthwhile doing that's easy.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quite a small thing, but from watching The Masters last night I saw one of those 'coming up' banners on Sky hyping their upcoming content. Today they have Leeds Rhinos playing in the Netball Super League. As the missus said, you could correctly state that Leeds Rhinos were playing in Super League today and that statement would have nothing to do with Rugby League. If the Netball authorities feel it right to stick the name of their sport before the name of their league maybe we should think of doing it also.

In The South Stand

We should have been using the name Rugby League all along , The other code as made people think it is the only game playing Rugby .

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quite a small thing, but from watching The Masters last night I saw one of those 'coming up' banners on Sky hyping their upcoming content. Today they have Leeds Rhinos playing in the Netball Super League. As the missus said, you could correctly state that Leeds Rhinos were playing in Super League today and that statement would have nothing to do with Rugby League. If the Netball authorities feel it right to stick the name of their sport before the name of their league maybe we should think of doing it also.
    Exactly Gray, branding us as just 'Super League' (is that the actual sport?) or 'The Super League' (the competition?) has always been a terrible move. We have completely lost our identity and any association with 'Rugby'. And it's even worse now, as you say, with Netball and Women's football amongst the number of other sports branding their comp as their Super League.

I remember in 2013 when the World Cup was on and, because Sky weren't covering it (think it was BBC and maybe Premier), they barely gave it a mention - I think they stretched to giving the scores on the ticker tape update at the bottom of the screen. When it was actually mentioned it was referred to as 'The Super League World Cup'! It's an absolute disgrace but suits Sky's agenda of distinguishing between the two codes and calling us 'Super League' whilst now referring to RU as just 'Rugby'.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Banned

Missed this previously but have just read it (thanks for the link)

Lee Hicken making the exact same point about the crux of the problem - "Some clubs vote for the good of the game or league - but many will vote for their own self-interest. This creates division, small-time and short-term thinking"

In a nutshell. Shitarsed clubs barely scraping survival, bringing hardly any players through the ranks, largely playing in dilapidated stadiums, to crowds below 5k, vote to block measures that could boost the game overall, because they fear they'll lose their status. They'd rather the sport be stuck in a rut than progress.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Yorks chairman was on the 5 live podcast yesterday. He seems well clued up on how to drive that team and sport forward.

Learning All The Songs

The greatest longer term issue in our game is that we don't have an expansion strategy and never have had one.
    In my opinion The RFL and Superleague need to come together and pick one geographic area to focus on and concentrate resources and opportunities to.
    I don't care where that is. It could be the Midlands or the North East or the South of France, it doesn't matter, such things can be decided after procedures such as SWOT analysis etc. What matters is that everyone works together on a day to day tactical basis with the wider strategy in mind: that would be to expand and grow the game at all levels in X geographic area.
    What should happen then would be things like larger clubs to partner smaller clubs in the development area, the RFL would invest in training coaches and referees etc, in that area, a central marketing would be set up for that area and sponsors local to that geography would be sought etc. etc. etc.
    These are not my ideas, it is standard professional management found in just about every corporate management text book and training course, something the Rugby League world seems to lack in general.
    Which is why it wont happen.
    And is why we get pulled from one hair brained scheme to the next. Someone turns up with a hand full of magic beans and we jump at it, without ever stopping to think - does this fit with what we want to happen?
    Because we haven't even sat down and decided what we want to happen.
    Last edited by forward ref; 9th April 2021 at 12:01.