Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 New Laws

Banned

With this being a World Cup year , are any of these rules going to apply for international’s or will the players need to change again ?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Or can I suggest 'Superleague always bends to the desire of SKY for mindless gimmicks as we lack confidence in our own product and are too gutless to articulate a response....'

Six stupid rules we could introduce for next year:
    - Take a mulligan: Every goal kicker has one mulligan that they can use each game to retake a missed kick at goal.
    - Play a joker: Both coaches can play a joker card that means enables any points they score within a 5 minute period to count double.
    - Any goal kick or drop goal that hits the post counts as successful - for consistency with tries and the corner flag. N.b Rule not to be applied if ball strikes the crossbar.
    - Substitutes to be upped from 4 players to 8 players.
    - Open season: No foul play rules for the last 5 minutes of each half.
    - Max zone: Any try under the sticks counts for 8 points,

I hope these warrant serious consideration so that we can welcomes changes that add excitement for our fans and showcase the unique qualities of our players.
    Don't give them ideas!!

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Or can I suggest 'Superleague always bends to the desire of SKY for mindless gimmicks as we lack confidence in our own product and are too gutless to articulate a response....'

- Take a mulligan: Every goal kicker has one mulligan that they can use each game to retake a missed kick at goal.
    - Play a joker: Both coaches can play a joker card that means enables any points they score within a 5 minute period to count double.
    - Any goal kick or drop goal that hits the post counts as successful - for consistency with tries and the corner flag. N.b Rule not to be applied if ball strikes the crossbar.

I hope these warrant serious consideration so that we can welcomes changes that add excitement for our fans and showcase the unique qualities of our players.
    Genius!
    Pure genius!!!!!!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If the punishment for offside is just another 6 again, then defenders will be more willing to deliberately put themselves offside to disrupt an attack, especially early in the set.
    But if they do it several times quickly it would leave the defender open to a yellow card

I could quite easily see your Max Zone qiip becoming reality under this lot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I could quite easily see your Max Zone qiip becoming reality under this lot
    Yes, the 20/40 must be the silliest rule ever. The 40/20 worked because it basically gave opportunity for a team to win possession from inside their own half and would reward a good kick and the risk of kicking early, teams by and large tried it early in the count.

The 20/40 is total idiocy. The only time anyone really will try a 20/40 is in absolute desperation. Are we trying to combat teams flying up in defense when they pin a team in its own 20? Why? It seems a silly solution to a deeper problem .

Look at the number of people involved in this change - around 18 or so of them; its like a parish council committee. Then the sport releases a statement which readss: "Super League always welcomes changes that add excitement for our fans" seemingly without involving them or at the very least explaining how they had an input into all of this. The sport seriously is a laughing stock.

Banned

Yes, the 20/40 must be the silliest rule ever. The 40/20 worked because it basically gave opportunity for a team to win possession from inside their own half and would reward a good kick and the risk of kicking early, teams by and large tried it early in the count.

The 20/40 is total idiocy. The only time anyone really will try a 20/40 is in absolute desperation. Are we trying to combat teams flying up in defense when they pin a team in its own 20? Why? It seems a silly solution to a deeper problem .

Look at the number of people involved in this change - around 18 or so of them; its like a parish council committee. Then the sport releases a statement which readss: "Super League always welcomes changes that add excitement for our fans" seemingly without involving them or at the very least explaining how they had an input into all of this. The sport seriously is a laughing stock.
    I honestly can't believe anyone who knows anything about the game thought this was a good idea. I'm actually shocked and not much the RFL do shocks me. Absolutely ••••ing ridiculous.

Banned

Without a Jackie Weaver to keep things in check

Got A Season Ticket

I have often wondered whether constant rules changes in our ever evolving sport has prevented it from reaching critical mass.

I don't necessarily mean in the country, or the world at large.

But within Rugby League towns themselves. Whether it leads to a generational divide, where fans leave the sport having their own sense of what RL *is* changed irrevocably.

I mean, I began watching RL in the early 90s, which was a vastly different sport to RL played in the 60s. I could certainly understand why a person may have thought the introduction of 4 tackles in the 80s was utter bollocks.

I watch the game now, and it's completely unrecognisable to me in many respects.

If there's a sport that has had more rule changes than RL both in the playing, structure and governance, I'd like to hear it. Does anyone not ever consider the possibility that all this just alienates and fatigues people?

It's like Trigger's broom. 17 new handles, 4 new heads, or whatever the hell it was.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by machoTit View Post
    I have often wondered whether constant rules changes in our ever evolving sport has prevented it from reaching critical mass.

I don't necessarily mean in the country, or the world at large.

But within Rugby League towns themselves. Whether it leads to a generational divide, where fans leave the sport having their own sense of what RL *is* changed irrevocably.

I mean, I began watching RL in the early 90s, which was a vastly different sport to RL played in the 60s. I could certainly understand why a person may have thought the introduction of 4 tackles in the 80s was utter bollocks.

I watch the game now, and it's completely unrecognisable to me in many respects.

If there's a sport that has had more rule changes than RL both in the playing, structure and governance, I'd like to hear it. Does anyone not ever consider the possibility that all this just alienates and fatigues people?

It's like Trigger's broom. 17 new handles, 4 new heads, or whatever the hell it was.
    I think that's a very good analogy.

Compare RL on the other hand to soccer which has remained just about as constant as could be both on and off the field. I think the only rule changes that have been noticeable were the backpass rule which was undoubtedly supported by most fans, the VAR and pretty much thats it. Their League structure has remained pretty static, the domestic cup comps have barely been tweaked and the sport projects itself with a confidence; gimmicks and stunts are deservedly treated with a level of cynicism.

Our sport as a whole needs to take blame with where it's at, whether owners of the clubs or the leaders at SLE and the RFL. Surely they don't think the fads, gimmicks and stupid tweaks they have ushered in down the years attract people to the sport? Does anyone remember the early days of SL when the sport was so drunk with its own self importance that its did'nt call the rule changes by name but instead as 'new Super League edicts...' FFS. Surely they don't think there's blokes waiting in Kings Lynn, Margate or Welwyn Garden City waiting for a SL rule change with bated breath to turn them into ardent followers of the sport overnight.

If Eamonn was forced onto a forum would he seriously defend the constant tinkering and daft SKY presentation?

About the only good rules RL introduced are the 40/20, the increase to four subs, and the shot clock. These are heavily out weighed by nonsense such as: zero tackle on returning a kick (so long as you don't pass), increases to interchanges (now reduced again), refcam, 'the decision is...,' the inconsistency with what is acceptable at the play the ball (lightning in the late 90's and slow as a snail circa 2010), constant messing about with the play off structure, kicking to the opposition after scoring a try (changed back again), golden point, etc etc.

To put the top hat on it all consider this:
    "The objectives of the changes are to ensure that Rugby League retains its place as the most exciting team sport in the country. Rugby League prides itself on being a fast paced, entertaining sport and these amendments will ensure that remains the case." That was Nigel Wood in 2012.
    "The changes will enhance the matchday experience for players, spectators, coaches and TV viewers alike by making the laws of the game as simple and unambiguous as possible." That was Nigel Wood in 2015.

So basically the clowns who run the sport (be it Wood or Elstone) don't even realise when they contradict themselves - if the rule changes were so successful there would be stability not the constant disorder and vague, placatory statements to try to hide the total lack of confidence the sport has in itself.

In The South Stand

I would not mind if they had made one rule ie The Referee has to enforce rules that are already there , balls going in the scrum if we ever see a scrum again and place the ball on the floor and play it back with your foot they have been there as long as i remember .