Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 New Laws

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Default 6 New Laws

What do we think of the amendments?

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2021/02/0...e-2021-season/

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

The 20-40 rule is crap, it rewards crap teams..

You can basically keep someone pinned in their own twenty - only for them to hoof it away.. with a similarly crap kick - which then gives them possession

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Honestly, more rule chages?

They only thing they needed to keep was the 6 again rule.

Banned

I wish they wouldn’t mess around with the rules every season for no reason. It makes the game look ‘gimmicky’

And is there any other sport that has 3 different sets of rules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

You can basically keep someone pinned in their own twenty - only for them to hoof it away.. with a similarly crap kick - which then gives them possession
    What an absolutely ridiculous rule.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    What an absolutely ridiculous rule.
    It really is,someone trying to justify their over inflated salary.

Got A Season Ticket

Not sure I like the one on one strip change- what seems to happen in NRL is that initially 3 are in the tackle on signal 2 drop off and a standing wrestle ensues with the Ref reluctant to call held because they think the ball may be stripped at some point in the distant future.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I'm not sure why they needed to change anything, it seems to be every season. One I would not have minded them adopting is one of the rejected ones - the 6 again for being offside at the 10.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

Agreed. Complete nonsense.

You'll just get teams hit and hoping it when they can't get out of their own 20.

Laughable

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I'm glad the great and good of the game all get together for their annual 'what can we do to make the game look stupid' meeting. I wonder if they ever get together in such a large group to discuss the things that actually matter?

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

I see the 'being penalised for not trying to play the ball with your foot' is still in there, which makes a mockery of the whole thing.

And agree about the 20/40 - Why? It's like there's a bunch of people who have to change some rules each year to justify their pay, so they come up with anything to fulfil that requirement, even where it's not needed.

RL all over I'm afraid.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Super League always welcomes changes that add excitement for our fans and showcase the unique qualities of our players.

Elstone with another one of those 'we don't know what we're doing so we'll make up our own headlines' quotes. Imagine being in charge of a sport that you dislike so much or take so un-seriously that you change the rules every year!

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

When are these rule changes announced to clubs?

At the same time as the general announcement or after the end of the last season? The only reason I ask is, how long will it take for players to get used to them?

Wonder how involved clubs, coaches, past and present players and matchday officilas were in the formulation of these ammendments.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm not sure why they needed to change anything, it seems to be every season. One I would not have minded them adopting is one of the rejected ones - the 6 again for being offside at the 10.
    Too open to abuse. I prefer a penalty in that situation, so think they've got it right.

Agree with posters on here about the 20:40 being bollocks.

But all these rule changes are moot if they still allow teams to wrestle & slow the PTB, or don't apply the rules consistently (despite ending up as SL champs, it still rankles that upon the resumption, when the 6-again rule was applied more consistently and teams were conscious of not transgressing, we adapted brilliantly (as it suited our game) and blew Leeds & Catalans away; after that there seemed to be a lot more leeway for opposition teams to slow us down, yet we kept getting pinged with 6-agains)

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Too open to abuse. I prefer a penalty in that situation, so think they've got it right.

Agree with posters on here about the 20:40 being bollocks.

But all these rule changes are moot if they still allow teams to wrestle & slow the PTB, or don't apply the rules consistently (despite ending up as SL champs, it still rankles that upon the resumption, when the 6-again rule was applied more consistently and teams were conscious of not transgressing, we adapted brilliantly (as it suited our game) and blew Leeds & Catalans away; after that there seemed to be a lot more leeway for opposition teams to slow us down, yet we kept getting pinged with 6-agains)
    Not sure who or how the 6 again for offside would be abused? It comes down to the ref (and in my opinion should be the touch judge) policing it. Fully agree about the rest when we restarted after the lockdown the game was the fastest I have ever seen it. For me, that period was non stop entertainment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Not sure who or how the 6 again for offside would be abused?
    Sorry, should have explained better. A defender(s) can (and do) deliberately choose to put themselves offside to stop an attack when the defence is disorganised. If that results in a penalty, it's either a kick at goal or get another 6 starting 30/40/50m downfield from a kick to touch.

If the punishment for offside is just another 6 again, then defenders will be more willing to deliberately put themselves offside to disrupt an attack, especially early in the set.

Learning All The Songs

Sorry, should have explained better. A defender(s) can (and do) deliberately choose to put themselves offside to stop an attack when the defence is disorganised. If that results in a penalty, it's either a kick at goal or get another 6 starting 30/40/50m downfield from a kick to touch.

If the punishment for offside is just another 6 again, then defenders will be more willing to deliberately put themselves offside to disrupt an attack, especially early in the set.
    I agree, what i would like to see is referees being stronger on players who are offside but dont get involved in the tackle, the last few times we have played the goons you constantly hear the referee shouting at Willie Isa that he is offside, its not laziness, hes doing it for a reason, it forces play up the middle because by the time you have heard the ref and realised he’s offside its to late to change and go wide.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Super League always welcomes changes that add excitement for our fans and showcase the unique qualities of our players.

Elstone with another one of those 'we don't know what we're doing so we'll make up our own headlines' quotes. Imagine being in charge of a sport that you dislike so much or take so un-seriously that you change the rules every year!

Or can I suggest 'Superleague always bends to the desire of SKY for mindless gimmicks as we lack confidence in our own product and are too gutless to articulate a response....'

Six stupid rules we could introduce for next year:
    - Take a mulligan: Every goal kicker has one mulligan that they can use each game to retake a missed kick at goal.
    - Play a joker: Both coaches can play a joker card that means enables any points they score within a 5 minute period to count double.
    - Any goal kick or drop goal that hits the post counts as successful - for consistency with tries and the corner flag. N.b Rule not to be applied if ball strikes the crossbar.
    - Substitutes to be upped from 4 players to 8 players.
    - Open season: No foul play rules for the last 5 minutes of each half.
    - Max zone: Any try under the sticks counts for 8 points,

I hope these warrant serious consideration so that we can welcomes changes that add excitement for our fans and showcase the unique qualities of our players.

It could mark the end of the 'relieving penalty' that teams get when they're backed up but the other team is full of adrenaline and jumps offside. Only getting another six doesn't exactly get you out of trouble, and the defence in that situation will jump offside at will early in the count because they'll either not get caught or will simply lose their team a couple of extra tackles. The positives massively outweigh the negatives for the defending side in that situation under the new rules, whereas jumping offside in the past had a big cost to it if you got caught.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It could mark the end of the 'relieving penalty' that teams get when they're backed up but the other team is full of adrenaline and jumps offside. Only getting another six doesn't exactly get you out of trouble, and the defence in that situation will jump offside at will early in the count because they'll either not get caught or will simply lose their team a couple of extra tackles. The positives massively outweigh the negatives for the defending side in that situation under the new rules, whereas jumping offside in the past had a big cost to it if you got caught.
    But we could pass a new law that gives an additional two tackles on top of the extra set for any infringement in the opposition 20. ;-)
    Remember just introduce them under the strapline 'SL welcomes changes that add excitement for our fans and showcase the unique qualities of our players' and everything will be alright.

In The South Stand

I would keep the penalty. Gives a relief if you are in your half. Gives a chance of 2 points and the ball back if you are near their sticks. Also repeat penalty offences can lead to a warning or a sin bin.

Let's say a team are pinged for offside and the team with the ball knock on straight from that set. There is no advantage and more that could go wrong.

I wasn't thinking right when I read it, and didn't realise they were taking away the option of a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    But we could pass a new law that gives an additional two tackles on top of the extra set for any infringement in the opposition 20. ;-)
    Remember just introduce them under the strapline 'SL welcomes changes that add excitement for our fans and showcase the unique qualities of our players' and everything will be alright.
    Good thinking! If it's in your own 20 you get 2 extra tackles, and if you then make it to the 40 under the new '20 to 40' rule you get a penalty or an extra set. I can't believe I ever watched this sport before these new rules came in to make it better and more exciting.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

And if things go as we hope they will and restrictions are relaxed, we'll have half the season under one set of rules - no scrums - and the other half under a different set - with scrums. Although TBH it's just the same as last season in effect, though that couldn't really be helped the way it transpired.

This time it's being planned!

Hopefully we will have made progress with the vaccine otherwise, if we play the full season with no scrums, what will happen in the World Cup, as the NRL has had scrums consistently?

Maybe we toss a coin the week before? Or maybe actually have a scrum between Us and the Aussies and whoever hooks it gets to choose. They could even even get Sky to televise it (so gimmicky they'd be all over it) and invite some fans down to shout feeeeeeeeediiiiiiiiinnnnngggggggggg
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Maybe we toss a coin the week before? Or maybe actually have a scrum between Us and the Aussies and whoever hooks it gets to choose. They could even even get Sky to televise it (so gimmicky they'd be all over it) and invite some fans down to shout feeeeeeeeediiiiiiiiinnnnngggggggggg
    The only problem with this thread is that someone at the RFL might be reading it and regretting that they were too conservative in their rule changes.