Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you be a true Saints fan...

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    To my way of thinking if you support the Saints to the exclusion of all others you are a true fan wherever you were born.. If you support Wigan and you were born in St Helens there is quite simply something wrong with you.
    When St Helens Recs ceased to exist many of their fans changed their allegiance to Wigan, rather than support the "enemy" Saints.

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    When St Helens Recs ceased to exist many of their fans changed their allegiance to Wigan, rather than support the "enemy" Saints.
    True. My Grandfather who lived off City Road his whole life (1910'S - 1974) was a Rec's man and had a real dislike of the Saints

In The South Stand

I don’t think there’s a ranking system of fans in any sport. There’ll be some whose life revolves around their club and they can’t/won’t miss a game, living their life around the club and there’ll be others at the opposite end of the scale that just look out for the results at a weekend. I don’t think Rugby League as a sport or St Helens as a club, should be ranking the levels of support.

I think it’s pretty crazy that I’ve met people from places like Shrewsbury, Bedford, Wales, Scotland and the Midlands watching Saints over the years. There’s people out there that are so interested in this town and this clubs history that then attend games.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Pathetic to be honest. How could anyone suddenly "support" a team they had no affinity to previously. No surprise you lot welcomed them.

My dad was a Recs fan and could never bring himself to support Saints.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    My dad was a Recs fan and could never bring himself to support Saints.
    That I can understand.

Just looked on Wiki and Rogues is right. I still think it's pathetic, the rivalry is a town one as much as a club one.

Banned

I am not saying many changed sides to Wigan but a minority did. I am pretty sure that is what lay historically behind Bazdev through his Grandad. To be honest the town wasn't big enough or wealthy enough for two clubs. Recs closed due to Pilkingtons losing money on it. What is strange is for a big town the soccer club never took off even after Bert.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

I'm from Northern Ireland so definitely an outsider, but Saints through and through - I have that obligatory irrational hatred of anything Wigan, so must be genuine

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    That I can understand.

Just looked on Wiki and Rogues is right. I still think it's pathetic, the rivalry is a town one as much as a club one.
    He didn't "support" Wigan but I can certainty recall him ribbing me when they did us over.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    He didn't "support" Wigan but I can certainty recall him ribbing me when they did us over.
    My Granddad used to do something similar and he was a Saints fan. I think it was his way of preparing me for the future grief of supporting Everton which was his fault.

Banned

You wont be angry tonight Dave!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    I'm from Northern Ireland so definitely an outsider, but Saints through and through -

That's the only qualification you need

Got A Season Ticket

Do saints have a supporters branch in London or anywhere in the south east?
    Last edited by Saint Colin; 7th February 2021 at 08:35.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Colin View Post
    Lets laugh at Everton not being able to beat utd,,, up your arse divvy dave,,, and angry dave is always angry because he hasn't got the intelligence to hold an adult conversation, plus he tells complete lies, and he knows it

Not sure why you would laugh at a team in 6th getting a draw away from home to a team in 2nd. AD might shoot from the hip, and get some things wrong, but I don't remember anyone saying he was lying in his posts.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I rest my case m'lud
    Learned comment from The Don

Do you think when Wigan Warriors cease to exist, your supporters will change their allegiance to Leigh, rather than the 'enemy' Saints?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Do you think when Wigan Warriors cease to exist, your supporters will change their allegiance to Leigh, rather than the 'enemy' Saints?
    Nah. They'll all swap to Milton Keynes Warriors, or wherever the franchise washes up!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Not sure why you would laugh at a team in 6th getting a draw away from home to a team in 2nd. AD might shoot from the hip, and get some things wrong, but I don't remember anyone saying he was lying in his posts.
    What have I got wrong?

What have I got wrong?
    He might mean my 2019 play off predictions. Think I was 100% wrong

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Nah. They'll all swap to Milton Keynes Warriors, or wherever the franchise washes up!
    Imagine

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

What have I got wrong?
    I thought you had said something on this thread about being wrong. Just checked and what you said is that Rogues was right.

Pathetic to be honest. How could anyone suddenly "support" a team they had no affinity to previously. No surprise you lot welcomed them.
    I imagine the reaction of Hull KR fans would be similar if the club closed down in that very few would transfer allegiance to FC. Instead they’d probably jump on the bandwagon of whichever “local” club they thought most likely to beat their traditional rivals, probably Leeds.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Saints have got a fair amount of support in Cumbria. I know a fair few people from Whitehaven who support Saints
    250 mile round trip for me from Cumbria to Saints. Only missed 2 home games in last 4 years. One, I was on holiday and the other a bloody accident on M6
    Also do lots of away games plus Wembley, grand final and magic
    I hate Wigan and Warrington too And I buy loads of merchandise from the shop
    I would call myself a true saints fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

If Saints ceased to exist tomorrow, I probably couldn’t follow another side, it just wouldn’t feel the same, I imagine. I’d still watch the sport and would probably pick a game here and there but I’d not be attached to a club.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I thought you had said something on this thread about being wrong. Just checked and what you said is that Rogues was right.
    So we agree, I'm right about everything and Saint Colin the cap end is talking scribble.