Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 81

Thread: Can you be a true Saints fan...

  1. #26
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,136
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    What would you make of someone from St Helens who chose to support Wigan?
    I know a lad who does exactly this

  2. #27
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,363
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    What is a true fan anyway? Sounding like everyone else?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  3. #28
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    509
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    Ö if you are not from St Helens?

    I first started watching Rugby League in the late 60s and early 70s on Grandstand on Saturday afternoons. Eddie Waring commentated. It was often very muddy but then and now Iíve always thought it a superior game to Union, which I played for twenty years. (If I watch Union now, and a caption on the screen says ď11th phaseĒ for ruck and possession, as if thatís a wonderful thing, Iím bored witless).

    I was brought up and lived in rural Suffolk, in a small village called Holbrook (yes, Holbrook) between Ipswich and Colchester.
    If my own (Rugby Union) sporting commitments at school were cancelled on Saturday afternoons, I was often the only member of my family in the front room with the telly and it was bliss. A coal fire, a chocolate biscuit (or three) and a match.

    St Helens was always the team I (vaguely) followed, even in the years of Wiganís hegemony, but of course around then Ipswich Town were doing pretty well under Bobby Robson, so my focus was there.

    Iíve never been to Knowsley Road, and am vague on Saints legends of the past, but from 2011, when I stopped work, I had time to follow Saints properly, helped of course by the internet and the RedVee site. It followed naturally that Iíd want to see Saints matches live. As well as Langtree Park, Iíve been to every Superleague club bar Huddersfield and Hull KR, and to Newcastle for Magic Weekend (and it was magic) . My partner and I have even been to Avignon and Perpignan for matches in the last World Cup.

    So I follow Saints, but Ė back to the question at the top Ė if you donít live and havenít ever lived in the St Helens area, can you be a true fan?
    Yes there is someone Birmingham born and bred whose a season ticket holder then we have the Saltire Saints too

  4. #29
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,737
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    Ö if you are not from St Helens?

    I first started watching Rugby League in the late 60s and early 70s on Grandstand on Saturday afternoons. Eddie Waring commentated. It was often very muddy but then and now Iíve always thought it a superior game to Union, which I played for twenty years. (If I watch Union now, and a caption on the screen says ď11th phaseĒ for ruck and possession, as if thatís a wonderful thing, Iím bored witless).

    I was brought up and lived in rural Suffolk, in a small village called Holbrook (yes, Holbrook) between Ipswich and Colchester.
    If my own (Rugby Union) sporting commitments at school were cancelled on Saturday afternoons, I was often the only member of my family in the front room with the telly and it was bliss. A coal fire, a chocolate biscuit (or three) and a match.

    St Helens was always the team I (vaguely) followed, even in the years of Wiganís hegemony, but of course around then Ipswich Town were doing pretty well under Bobby Robson, so my focus was there.

    Iíve never been to Knowsley Road, and am vague on Saints legends of the past, but from 2011, when I stopped work, I had time to follow Saints properly, helped of course by the internet and the RedVee site. It followed naturally that Iíd want to see Saints matches live. As well as Langtree Park, Iíve been to every Superleague club bar Huddersfield and Hull KR, and to Newcastle for Magic Weekend (and it was magic) . My partner and I have even been to Avignon and Perpignan for matches in the last World Cup.

    So I follow Saints, but Ė back to the question at the top Ė if you donít live and havenít ever lived in the St Helens area, can you be a true fan?
    I bet Saints would love a few thousand more like you.
    Although born and raised in St Helens I haven't lived in the UK for most of my adult life. I still (before Covid) get to 6-8 games PA and if I am in Asia I get up in the middle of the night to watch games. I consider myself a true fan.

  5. #30
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,737
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Long story short, I started playing rugby when I was 9 and at senior school aged 11 in our first ďBig SchoolĒ pe lesson we had a pile of red bibs and white bibs.

    Our PE teacher Mr Regan (said he used to play for Widnes in the 60ís or 70ís) asked ďWhoís played RL?Ē And I was one of a few who put his hand up.

    He said ďred bibs, you are Wigan. White bibs, you are St HelensĒ and I ran home after school in my white bib to tell my Dad who was an RL fan, telling me stories about The Beast of the Pampas and Vollenhoven.... Iíve been a St Helens fan ever since. Iím 47 and lived in Oldham and Saddleworth all my life.
    The wild bull of the pampas.

  6. #31
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I was born in Ormskirk, my elder brothers were born in St Helens, as kids we would ride our bikes from Ormy to St Helens- leaving our bikes on Windsor Rd at my Aunties ( The Sisters of Murphy) and walk to Knowsley Rd for the games. In later years in the pub before a game would often get quizzed why someone from as far away as Ormskirk followed Saints and RL. Now living in NZ happy to remain a Saint COYS.

  7. #32
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,133
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    I was born in Ormskirk, my elder brothers were born in St Helens, as kids we would ride our bikes from Ormy to St Helens- leaving our bikes on Windsor Rd at my Aunties ( The Sisters of Murphy) and walk to Knowsley Rd for the games. In later years in the pub before a game would often get quizzed why someone from as far away as Ormskirk followed Saints and RL. Now living in NZ happy to remain a Saint COYS.
    That bit made me laugh.
    How times have changed!

  8. #33
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    4,454
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    I was born in Ormskirk, my elder brothers were born in St Helens, as kids we would ride our bikes from Ormy to St Helens- leaving our bikes on Windsor Rd at my Aunties ( The Sisters of Murphy) and walk to Knowsley Rd for the games. In later years in the pub before a game would often get quizzed why someone from as far away as Ormskirk followed Saints and RL. Now living in NZ happy to remain a Saint COYS.
    Another born and raised in Ormskirk here. My Mumís side of my family hail from St Helens, though, and have always been fans.

  9. #34
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    926
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I know a lad who does exactly this
    Historically Ralph, Saints always had a core Warrington support and still have. Going back to away games in the seventies when it was sometimes a couple of coaches, we always had some Penketh lads on Ellisons.

  10. #35
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,833
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Historically Ralph, Saints always had a core Warrington support and still have. Going back to away games in the seventies when it was sometimes a couple of coaches, we always had some Penketh lads on Ellisons.
    Is that anything to do with the amount of people that move there maybe? I know several people who moved down to Sankey and other areas because it was 'nicer', 'greener', 'better for the kids' etc, and they have brought their kids up as Saints fans. I'm not sure if this is just my experience, but there must be a decent amount of people in Warrington who come from St Helens or are the kids of those that do.

  11. #36
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    926
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    In that particular case Gray no, they were proper Warringtonians who just supported Saints. In general I think you are right. Widnes always had a core in Sutton Manor and Rainhill.

    It's quite bizarre really Man City had core support in Windle and Clock Face but I don't think many if any other St Helens areas in the eighties. Wigan had some luck in they attracted in the good times a fair amount of Chorley and Leyland support. We never really even cracked Huyton never mind Liverpool posher suburbs.

  12. #37
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Canterbury, Kent
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I bet Saints would love a few thousand more like you.
    Although born and raised in St Helens I haven't lived in the UK for most of my adult life. I still (before Covid) get to 6-8 games PA and if I am in Asia I get up in the middle of the night to watch games. I consider myself a true fan.
    I do my best to raise interest. I took my son (Spursy) and a pal (Gooner) to watch Saints v Broncos at Ealing Trailfinders, hoping to get them to fall in love with the Red Vee. It went wrong. Broncos won that afternoon. But the easygoing ground, the mixing of the fans, the closeness of the players, the fact that you could walk around, have a drink, have a picnic, have a laugh - all those things were a brilliant advertisement for the game.

  13. #38
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    393
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm from and live in Swansea, our local rugby union ground is called St Helens so when I was a kid I linked the two in my mind and have been a saints fan ever since.

    A relative of mine was fortunate enough to have played for the saints and I became more invested in the club since , when I was stationed up north It was easier to get to games.

    I simply don't have the time to get to games these days but I always watch any games on tv, and read this forum and watch the you tube videos avidly

    Things like that are a boon to fans from further afield, I don't class myself as one of the die hards like some on here clearly are but I'm a fan and I always will be

  14. #39
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    As my forum name suggests I'm from Oldham originally, now live in Bolton, but I don't have any connection with St Helens other than following Saints. I followed Oldham for a while in the 80s because my mates did, but I never really got what the game was about.
    I started watching SL in the 90s on Sky, and began understanding it a bit more and enjoying it a lot more. I've supported Oldham Athletic all my life, but the contrast between RL and the way the footballers carry on these days has turned me right off footy (still get to Boundary Park from time to time, when possible, though). Now it's RL all the way.
    Anyway I wanted a SL team to support so I chose Saints, just because I'd always liked Chris Joynt when he was at Oldham and he was a Saints player. The first time I saw Saints was in the 1999 GF win, so off to a good start there. Only got to KR once, but over the years I became a big Saints fan, and a couple of years ago I asked our youngest if he fancied getting a season ticket with me because he was getting interested. So we did, and now we are both dedicated Saints fans. My lad has joined a local team as well (prop), so RL/Saints have made a big difference to us, he was drifting a bit before and now he can't get enough RL.
    So I would say the answer to the question is - well, we think so, though as the question implies, I've always wondered what born-and-bred St Helens fans make of us 'incomers'.

    The lad and me spent last night watching the 2006 GF.

  15. #40
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    509
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoughyedSaint View Post
    As my forum name suggests I'm from Oldham originally, now live in Bolton, but I don't have any connection with St Helens other than following Saints. I followed Oldham for a while in the 80s because my mates did, but I never really got what the game was about.
    I started watching SL in the 90s on Sky, and began understanding it a bit more and enjoying it a lot more. I've supported Oldham Athletic all my life, but the contrast between RL and the way the footballers carry on these days has turned me right off footy (still get to Boundary Park from time to time, when possible, though). Now it's RL all the way.
    Anyway I wanted a SL team to support so I chose Saints, just because I'd always liked Chris Joynt when he was at Oldham and he was a Saints player. The first time I saw Saints was in the 1999 GF win, so off to a good start there. Only got to KR once, but over the years I became a big Saints fan, and a couple of years ago I asked our youngest if he fancied getting a season ticket with me because he was getting interested. So we did, and now we are both dedicated Saints fans. My lad has joined a local team as well (prop), so RL/Saints have made a big difference to us, he was drifting a bit before and now he can't get enough RL.
    So I would say the answer to the question is - well, we think so, though as the question implies, I've always wondered what born-and-bred St Helens fans make of us 'incomers'.

    The lad and me spent last night watching the 2006 GF.
    I don't give a monkeys where you are from you're a Saints fan and thats all matters

  16. #41
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blatherings on 13 Pro-Am podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service
    Posts
    8,352
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    To my way of thinking if you support the Saints to the exclusion of all others you are a true fan wherever you were born.. If you support Wigan and you were born in St Helens there is quite simply something wrong with you.
    Learned comment from The Don

  17. #42
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,462
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    To my way of thinking if you support the Saints to the exclusion of all others you are a true fan wherever you were born.. If you support Wigan and you were born in St Helens there is quite simply something wrong with you.

    In a nutshell
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  18. #43
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,133
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    To my way of thinking if you support the Saints to the exclusion of all others you are a true fan wherever you were born...
    That's me stuffed then. I have a soft spot for London Skolars!

  19. #44
    In The South Stand retro74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St Helens, Lancashire
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,366
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    100% you can be a true Saints fan if you're not from St Helens, it might make you more of a fan because those born here have no choice anyway!

    Seriously though I used to work with a lady from Wakefield who, along with her husband and son, were the some of the most committed Saints fans I've ever met. I'm sure there's a few people on here that know them and what lovely people they are

  20. #45
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    4,136
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    100% you can be a true Saints fan if you're not from St Helens, it might make you more of a fan because those born here have no choice anyway!

    Seriously though I used to work with a lady from Wakefield who, along with her husband and son, were the some of the most committed Saints fans I've ever met. I'm sure there's a few people on here that know them and what lovely people they are
    Saints have got a fair amount of support in Cumbria. I know a fair few people from Whitehaven who support Saints

  21. #46
    Moderator Div's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sintellins
    Posts
    11,392
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Born in Blackbrook, played for Blackbrook, only moved stones throw away. Watched Saints since I was about 9. I feel in the minority on here. ��

    Of course they are all real Saints. Happy to call many of the far flung Saints I have met over the years friends.

  22. #47
    Moderator Div's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sintellins
    Posts
    11,392
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    It's a personal choice, and could be done for all sorts of reasons.
    One of our crowd is from Leeds, but you would struggle to find a more dedicated 'true' Saints fan than him!
    John is a legend 😁

  23. #48
    Got A Season Ticket scrogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    395
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    From my personal perspective, Iím a true Saints fan. Born and raised in Bootle, lived in Crosby and now Southport. Spent my life surrounded by friends and family that have no time for rugby of either code and only see football as a sport.
    Iíve followed Saints via telly for as long as I can remember and made a few trips when able to see live games at Knowsley Road, but due to work / family / finances these were sadly few.
    Since the new ground opened, I have been a season ticket holder and will continue to be as long as I can manage.
    Iíve also managed to convert my son who is now 21, and via him his friends are all now Saints fans, some ( 4 or 5) even coming to the games with us before COVID.
    My main point though, and probably the most relevant - Iím not from St Helens and have no direct connections, BUT Saints are my local RL team! Geographically they are the closest and easiest to get to, and as a club we should be considering the catchment area which should be much bigger than St Helens town!
    Iíve been asked by lots of curious Saints fans at matches why I support them, and that is always my answer.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  24. #49
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,820
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    To my way of thinking if you support the Saints to the exclusion of all others you are a true fan wherever you were born.. If you support Wigan and you were born in St Helens there is quite simply something wrong with you.
    Correct. And you need beating with a yard brush.

  25. #50
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,737
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Correct. And you need beating with a yard brush.
    I have got a yard brush for any takers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •