Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can you be a true Saints fan...

Banned

You are Superleague Dave, Saint Coiln is North West Counties.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    So we agree, I'm right about everything and Saint Colin the cap end is talking scribble.
    Scribble! That's a brilliant expression, not heard the word used in that way before. Stolen for promiscuous future use.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    So we agree, I'm right about everything and Saint Colin the cap end is talking scribble.
    I wouldn't dare not agree with you.
    But if you do want to be proved wrong, speak to my wife.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I wouldn't dare not agree with you.
    But if you do want to be proved wrong, speak to my wife.
    I know my limits.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    If Saints ceased to exist tomorrow, I probably couldn’t follow another side, it just wouldn’t feel the same, I imagine. I’d still watch the sport and would probably pick a game here and there but I’d not be attached to a club.

I don't think I'd even bother with the sport.

Although I'd still despise all things wi*an.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    Â… if you are not from St Helens?

I first started watching Rugby League in the late 60s and early 70s on Grandstand on Saturday afternoons. Eddie Waring commentated. It was often very muddy but then and now I’ve always thought it a superior game to Union, which I played for twenty years. (If I watch Union now, and a caption on the screen says “11th phase” for ruck and possession, as if that’s a wonderful thing, I’m bored witless).

I was brought up and lived in rural Suffolk, in a small village called Holbrook (yes, Holbrook) between Ipswich and Colchester.
    If my own (Rugby Union) sporting commitments at school were cancelled on Saturday afternoons, I was often the only member of my family in the front room with the telly and it was bliss. A coal fire, a chocolate biscuit (or three) and a match.

St Helens was always the team I (vaguely) followed, even in the years of WiganÂ’s hegemony, but of course around then Ipswich Town were doing pretty well under Bobby Robson, so my focus was there.

IÂ’ve never been to Knowsley Road, and am vague on Saints legends of the past, but from 2011, when I stopped work, I had time to follow Saints properly, helped of course by the internet and the RedVee site. It followed naturally that IÂ’d want to see Saints matches live. As well as Langtree Park, IÂ’ve been to every Superleague club bar Huddersfield and Hull KR, and to Newcastle for Magic Weekend (and it was magic) . My partner and I have even been to Avignon and Perpignan for matches in the last World Cup.

So I follow Saints, but – back to the question at the top – if you don’t live and haven’t ever lived in the St Helens area, can you be a true fan?
    Great post and refreshing to hear from fellow fans from far and wide . You have been watching saints for a lot longer than I have ! Great to hear from you and yes , if ItÂ’s in your heart , your a proper fan !