Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Rugby League Channel

Default Sky Rugby League Channel

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league

Is rugby league now a valued commodity or are Sky merely becoming desperate with the loss of other mainstream sports?

In The South Stand

I don’t think it was ever not a valued commodity just not as valued as their big ticket stuff like Premier League football and this is testament to that.

Will be nice to see full games from the past. I hope they don’t just throw the finals on and the big derby games but some others as well.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I don’t think it was ever not a valued commodity just not as valued as their big ticket stuff like Premier League football and this is testament to that.

Will be nice to see full games from the past. I hope they don’t just throw the finals on and the big derby games but some others as well.
    We're definitely not on their trendy and fashionable list are we. They seem desperate to push their product leaders like football and cricket and keen to develop interest in netball or any American sport that can be associated with 'a cause.'

I'm not holding my breath for anything positive from SKY, there overall regard for the sport feels like it's at an all time low, its pulse certainly isn't on the feelings of the fans and its presentation belongs squarely in 1995.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    We're definitely not on their trendy and fashionable list are we. They seem desperate to push their product leaders like football and cricket and keen to develop interest in netball or any American sport that can be associated with 'a cause.'

I'm not holding my breath for anything positive from SKY, there overall regard for ithe sport feels like it's at an all time low, its pulse certainly isn't on the feelings of the fans and its presentation belongs squarely in 1995.
    We’re not in, let’s call it their tier one of sports, in Football, Cricket, F1 or NFL. But is that a surprise? We’re probably amongst the best of the rest, which isn’t a bad place to be and this move would show that we hold some form of value with them.

The presentation is infinitely better than 1995, we have far better cameras, more of them and better angles. The presentation of Sky isn’t the greatest but Eddie and Stevo were bagged for years, so that’s been a recurring thing.

Banned

We’re not in, let’s call it their tier one of sports, in Football, Cricket, F1 or NFL. But is that a surprise? We’re probably amongst the best of the rest, which isn’t a bad place to be and this move would show that we hold some form of value with them.

The presentation is infinitely better than 1995, we have far better cameras, more of them and better angles. The presentation of Sky isn’t the greatest but Eddie and Stevo were bagged for years, so that’s been a recurring thing.
    I'm not sure Eddie and Steve were criticised for years. When SKY first came on the scene Eddie Hemmings was accomplished at his job and his self importance had'nt got the better of him. Stevo at that point was a useful enough pundit, not greatly insightful but passionate and more articulate than most of the RL pundits that appeared back then. Both started to pick up IMO justified criticism when they became a pantomime act and started to think they were personalities who were as important as the game.

All this is bad enough but when your expert can only come out with vacuous nonsense like 'run the power play,' 'get the link going' or 'try something different' then the coverage deserved the slamming its got. No exaggeration to say that you could get a coach involved with any amateur side to have provided more expert opinion than we were hearing. Stevo should have gone 10 to 15 years earlier than he did. If anything the fact that the criticism is/was constant just proves how self satisfied SKY has become because it certainly isn't making RL supporters happy judging by comments on here.

The response to this criticism - give Bill Arthur and Stuart Pyke the main gig. Its rehashing old ground but the vast majority of us think they are appalling for the game and a terrible feel. And here's the point, it just exemplifies how SKY are downright apathetic to RL. Its become a schedule filler with a captive market and no intent to improve. You can point to improvements in camera angles but that has nothing to do with Rugby League; not one iota. They are just relative improvements that have happened because technology continues to improve in the same manner there are several iterations of a typical intel processor. It would be like me claiming Sky's coverage of horse racing has improved because Attheraces is now in HD.

The overall presentation belongs in the early to mid 90's. Its the hard sell to a tired or sceptical audience when times have changed. People expect calm and reasoned debate; a Jake Humphries, a Mark Duerden-Smith or an Ian Ward not someone like Wells telling them when they should be excited in a loud voice. The opening credits have long been outdated and everything the game should not be presented as and what bozo thinks that try music is cool? Is that what any serious sport has. Could you imagine a goal replay on Sky football when Man U score with something from 2Unlimited in the background? Its no wonder people laugh at the game in the South here.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 25th February 2021 at 15:57.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league

Is rugby league now a valued commodity or are Sky merely becoming desperate with the loss of other mainstream sports?
    Dedicated rugby league pop up channel for 5 days leading up to the start of the season. Not a permanent channel.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Dedicated rugby league pop up channel for 5 days leading up to the start of the season. Not a permanent channel.
    Might only be for 5 days,but i'm looking forward to it.

In The South Stand

I'm not sure Eddie and Steve were criticised for years. When SKY first came on the scene Eddie Hemmings was accomplished at his job and his self importance had'nt got the better of him. Stevo at that point was a useful enough pundit, not greatly insightful but passionate and more articulate than most of the RL pundits that appeared back then. Both started to pick up IMO justified criticism when they became a pantomime act and started to think they were personalities who were as important as the game.

All this is bad enough but when your expert can only come out with vacuous nonsense like 'run the power play,' 'get the link going' or 'try something different' then the coverage deserved the slamming its got. No exaggeration to say that you could get a coach involved with any amateur side to have provided more expert opinion than we were hearing. Stevo should have gone 10 to 15 years earlier than he did. If anything the fact that the criticism is/was constant just proves how self satisfied SKY has become because it certainly isn't making RL supporters happy judging by comments on here.

The response to this criticism - give Bill Arthur and Stuart Pyke the main gig. Its rehashing old ground but the vast majority of us think they are appalling for the game and a terrible feel. And here's the point, it just exemplifies how SKY are downright apathetic to RL. Its become a schedule filler with a captive market and no intent to improve. You can point to improvements in camera angles but that has nothing to do with Rugby League; not one iota. They are just relative improvements that have happened because technology continues to improve in the same manner there are several iterations of a typical intel processor. It would be like me claiming Sky's coverage of horse racing has improved because Attheraces is now in HD.

The overall presentation belongs in the early to mid 90's. Its the hard sell to a tired or sceptical audience when times have changed. People expect calm and reasoned debate; a Jake Humphries, a Mark Duerden-Smith or an Ian Ward not someone like Wells telling them when they should be excited in a loud voice. The opening credits have long been outdated and everything the game should not be presented as and what bozo thinks that try music is cool? Is that what any serious sport has. Could you imagine a goal replay on Sky football when Man U score with something from 2Unlimited in the background? Its no wonder people laugh at the game in the South here.
    You’ve started off by saying that Eddie and Stevo weren’t criticised for years and then criticise them both, citing one should have been relieved of their duties FIFTEEN years before he stepped down of his own accord. That’s my point, Eddie and Stevo for probably ten years plus, maybe even closer to twenty years, were routinely criticised as the internet and subsequently social media grew. The same is now happening immediately with Bill Arthur. Now, I’m not defending Arthur at all, the way he described Jack Welsby’s try vs Wigan in the Grand Final was as if he was five seconds behind the action. Criticism of the presentation team has been a recurring feature of Rugby League for the past 20 years. It’s “the new normal”, to coin a painful phrase, to criticise commentary teams and pundits. You only have to take to social media at a weekend to see the vitriol aimed at people in those positions in football.

You blame Sky for the apathy. Why should they feel anything but apathetic about Super League? Why should we look for outside influences for blame? The game of Rugby League is crap. And I don’t mean that in terms of what’s on the field but if you’re a bloke of a certain age and like Rugby League, it seems like you must say that “everything was better back in my day” when attendances were rubbish and players played in six inches of mud. But that aside, look at us as a sport. We’re governed by fools and have been for years. We go from one “new dawn” to the next every few years, recycling old ones we’ve already used and then moving on three years later to something else. We’re like a kid on Christmas Day. And not a particularly clever one, either. Does that spell out a competent administration running an elite sporting competition to you? There’s a general apathy within the game of Rugby League so to blame Sky for having an apathy towards the game is a weird standpoint. While we faff around trying to please all thirty-six clubs we have, in turn actually satisfying very few and certainly even fewer at the elite level, other sports, whether you or I like them or not, actually appear to have a strategy, a competent administration and have actually moved with the times whereas we haven’t so it’s little surprise that we’re looking over our shoulders at sports twenty five years ago weren’t even on our radar.

The presentation isn’t in the Nineties. That’s, frankly, a lie. Because Jon Wells isn’t in a warm
    studio, it doesn’t make his analysis stuff with players (which was a miss in 2020) any less credible than that or Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher arguing on a Monday night trying to make Southampton v Burnley sound like a classic. And anyway, how many grounds have those kind of facilities available for Sky? Probably five or six at a big push and is that really good enough? No, not really. It looks a bit tin pot because that’s what the sport is, in many respects. We’ve got everything most other U.K. based sports have available to the viewers. The issue may well be with who is doing the talking (Clarke, Carney etc) but; see above.

This is a really good move by Sky. It doesn’t show an apathy or any sort of anti-Rugby League agenda.

The victim culture in this sport is as damaging as the governance of this sport. If it’s not Sky’s fault, it’s Rugby Union’s or Netball’s or whatever else lame excuses get churned out.

Banned

You’ve started off by saying that Eddie and Stevo weren’t criticised for years and then criticise them both, citing one should have been relieved of their duties FIFTEEN years before he stepped down of his own accord. That’s my point, Eddie and Stevo for probably ten years plus, maybe even closer to twenty years, were routinely criticised as the internet and subsequently social media grew. The same is now happening immediately with Bill Arthur. Now, I’m not defending Arthur at all, the way he described Jack Welsby’s try vs Wigan in the Grand Final was as if he was five seconds behind the action. Criticism of the presentation team has been a recurring feature of Rugby League for the past 20 years. It’s “the new normal”, to coin a painful phrase, to criticise commentary teams and pundits. You only have to take to social media at a weekend to see the vitriol aimed at people in those positions in football. [/QUOTE=Dos Cervezas;813263]

You blame Sky for the apathy. Why should they feel anything but apathetic about Super League? Why should we look for outside influences for blame? The game of Rugby League is crap. And I don’t mean that in terms of what’s on the field but if you’re a bloke of a certain age and like Rugby League, it seems like you must say that “everything was better back in my day” when attendances were rubbish and players played in six inches of mud. But that aside, look at us as a sport. We’re governed by fools and have been for years. We go from one “new dawn” to the next every few years, recycling old ones we’ve already used and then moving on three years later to something else. We’re like a kid on Christmas Day. And not a particularly clever one, either. Does that spell out a competent administration running an elite sporting competition to you? There’s a general apathy within the game of Rugby League so to blame Sky for having an apathy towards the game is a weird standpoint. While we faff around trying to please all thirty-six clubs we have, in turn actually satisfying very few and certainly even fewer at the elite level, other sports, whether you or I like them or not, actually appear to have a strategy, a competent administration and have actually moved with the times whereas we haven’t so it’s little surprise that we’re looking over our shoulders at sports twenty five years ago weren’t even on our radar.

The presentation isnÂ’t in the Nineties. ThatÂ’s, frankly, a lie. Because Jon Wells isnÂ’t in a warm
    studio, it doesnÂ’t make his analysis stuff with players (which was a miss in 2020) any less credible than that or Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher arguing on a Monday night trying to make Southampton v Burnley sound like a classic. And anyway, how many grounds have those kind of facilities available for Sky? Probably five or six at a big push and is that really good enough? No, not really. It looks a bit tin pot because thatÂ’s what the sport is, in many respects. WeÂ’ve got everything most other U.K. based sports have available to the viewers. The issue may well be with who is doing the talking (Clarke, Carney etc) but; see above.

This is a really good move by Sky. It doesnÂ’t show an apathy or any sort of anti-Rugby League agenda.

The victim culture in this sport is as damaging as the governance of this sport. If itÂ’s not SkyÂ’s fault, itÂ’s Rugby UnionÂ’s or NetballÂ’s or whatever else lame excuses get churned out.

I'm struggling to see your point because it feels like your wrapped up in parameterising the argument that anyone criticising SKY thinks the sport is a 'victim.' Whilst I agree the sport is poorly managed, this should'nt stop it trying to extract the best deal it can get from its broadcasting partners nor should the people who enjoy the sport feel like it is squarely back in the last century. I can't appropriate all the blame at the RFL/SLE's door for SKY's foibles however much I'd like to. One would think that if a media partner is making an investment they should at least try to demonstrate an interest in the product they invested that transcends gimmicks and stunts that only appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I'll start with the opening paragraph. The fact Eddie and Stevo were criticised for so long is indicative how SKY were apathetic to the game and its audience. Its a total misrepresentation to pretend every one just criticised them because it was somehow fashionable (whatever this means) to knock them. How about answering the point that the game's expert summariser was anything but an expert? How about answering the fact that we had the self-appointed 'voice of rugby league' dumbing down the Challenge Cup; or what became a pantomime act in the commentary box? The sport has very knowledgeable followers; its unfair to say the least to make some sort of arbitrary judgement that they are incapable of using their grey matter and just want to criticise SKY without due cause. As I say its a terrible argument because if your logic followed we'd still be panning the BBC who at one time got a load of stick instead of acknowledging that their coverage has become markedly better then it ever has been and eclipses SKY's.

That people are rightly angry that the game is treated with disdain should be applauded. Whilst the presentation of RU, Football and cricket have evolved, to coin Alan Partridge the presentation of RL has 'revolved.' It's feel does belong back in the 90's. As I said which self respecting sport thinks its with the times to play Acid house after a try, FFS. Who thinks it appropriate that a ref runs around looking like the terminator? Why are we still branded at SKY's behest, as SuperLeague - another term that belongs in the 90's? I agree that the commentary team is wrong but that was part of my point - those voices that are there now are told how to behave and we're still hearing the hard sell which is so 90's passe. We are no different now to Eddie Hemmings telling us how good SuperLeague was in 1995 before getting spanked by the Australians a year or so later and the hard sell looking like hard shit.

Its supercilious to talk of cameras or studios because we're talking about much more than that; its an overall look and feel and being in tune with the zeitgeist of the age. For example when Eddie Waring and the BBC were slammed in the 70's it was'nt because he was dressed in some 1950's get up or sat in some old studio in Batley and such like it was because time had comically passed him by and his style was like some sort of 1940's war time correspondent mixed with Dad's Army shtick. It was because the kick off would run late because of the 2:45 at Uttoxeter had gone off late.

They are the sort of things that are similar to SKY. We get shunted round the calendar to schedule fill, SKY holds a captive audience yet seems incapable of listening to those paying stakeholders. We all know the technological advancements are'nt born out of a focus on RL rather the spin off from technology developing; in fact I'd go one step further and say we are SKY's guinea pig that's the useful idiot if anything goes wrong. The same criticisms apply to Attheraces which is similarly as bad with know-nothings like Matt Chapman, 'eye candy' Leona Mayor and the uber-hilaire Sir Bob being guilty of the type of things Eddie and Stevo did.

Where our opinions do converge is that the powers that be need to change this which is why its so frustrating to see the sport blow its credibility time and time again or do little to challenge the pervasive influence of SKY. However none of this invalidates criticism of SKY, especially as SKY were architects and movers of some of the 'new dawns' in the first place!
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 26th February 2021 at 10:20.

In The South Stand

I'm struggling to see your point because it feels like your wrapped up in parameterising the argument that anyone criticising SKY thinks the sport is a 'victim.' Whilst I agree the sport is poorly managed, this should'nt stop it trying to extract the best deal it can get out of it from broadcasting partners nor should the people who enjoy the sport feel like it is squarely back in the last century. I can't appropriate all the blame at the RFL/SLE's door for SKY's foibles however much I'd like to. One would think that if a media partner is making an investment they should at least try to demonstrate an interest in the product they invested that transcends gimmicks and stunts that only appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I'll start with the opening paragraph. The fact Eddie and Stevo were criticised for so long is indicative how SKY were apathetic to the game and its audience. Its a total misrepresentation to pretend every one just criticised them because it was somehow fashionable to knock them. How about answering the point that the game's expert summariser was anything but an expert? How about answering the fact that we had the self-appointed 'voice of rugby league' dumbing down the Challenge Cup; or what became a pantomime act in the commentary box? The sport has very knowledgeable followers; its unfair to say the least to make some sort of arbitrary judgement that they are incapable of using their grey matter and just want to criticise SKY without due cause. As I say its a poor argument because if your logic followed we'd still be panning the BBC who at one time got a load of stick instead of acknowledging that their coverage has become markedly better then it ever has been and eclipses SKY's.

That people are rightly angry that the game is treated with disdain should be applauded. Whilst the presentation of RU, Football and cricket have evolved, to coin Alan Partridge the presentation of RL has 'revolved.' It's feel does belong back in the 90's. As I said which self respecting sport thinks its with the times to play Acid house after a try, FFS. Who thinks it appropriate that a ref runs around looking like the terminator? I agree that the voices are wrong but that was part of my point - those voices that are there now are told how to behave and we're still hearing the hard sell which is so 90's passe. We are no different now to Eddie Hemmings telling us how good Super League was in 1995 before getting spanked by the Australians a year or so later and the hard sell looking like hard shit.

Its supercilious to talk of cameras or studios because we're talking about much more than that; its an overall look and feel and being in tune with the zeitgeist of the age. For example when Eddie Waring and the BBC were slammed in the 70's it was'nt because he was dressed in some 1950's get up or sat in some old studio in Batley and such like it was because time had comically passed him by and his style was like some sort of 1940's war time correspondent mixed with Dad's Army passe. It was because the kick off would run late because of the 2:45 at Uttoxeter had gone off late.

They are the sort of things that are similar to SKY. We get shunted round the calendar to schedule fill, SKY holds a captive audience yet seems incapable of listening to those paying stakeholders. We all know the technological advancements are'nt born out of a focus on RL rather the spin off from technology developing; in fact I'd go one step further and say we are SKY's guinea pig that's the useful idiot if anything goes wrong. The same criticisms apply to Attheraces which is similarly as bad with know-nothings like Matt Chapman, 'eye candy' Leona Mayor and the uber-hilaire Sir Bob being guilty of the type of things Eddie and Stevo did.

Where our opinions do converge is that the powers that be need to change this which is why its so frustrating to see the sport blow its credibility time and time again or do little to challenge the pervasive influence of SKY. However none of this invalidates criticism of SKY, especially as SKY were architects and movers of some of the 'new dawns' in the first place!
    You’re further backing my point about slating Eddie and Stevo and commentary/pundits in general by doing exactly that. It’s the fashionable thing. Whether you or I like what Barrie or Terry come out with, they’re chucked in the “expert” category because they played the game. Much like Michael Owen or Steve McManaman in football, who despite playing the game, are vilified at a weekend when people put BT on and see them two speaking. It’s the fashionable thing and in Rugby League’s case, the grass wasn’t greener once Eddie and Stevo departed. It happens across other sports too so this isn’t a anti-RL thing, it’s not Sky not caring that much, it’s no agenda driven scheme to make Rugby League fail.

Rugby League has moved with the times. There’s no denying it. You will, of course. The way the programme is shown to viewers has progressed as well as other sports. The nineties shouts are just wrong and just your apathy clouding anything Rugby League related. You simply choose not to see it.

Banned

You’re further backing my point about slating Eddie and Stevo and commentary/pundits in general by doing exactly that. It’s the fashionable thing. Whether you or I like what Barrie or Terry come out with, they’re chucked in the “expert” category because they played the game. Much like Michael Owen or Steve McManaman in football, who despite playing the game, are vilified at a weekend when people put BT on and see them two speaking. It’s the fashionable thing and in Rugby League’s case, the grass wasn’t greener once Eddie and Stevo departed. It happens across other sports too so this isn’t a anti-RL thing, it’s not Sky not caring that much, it’s no agenda driven scheme to make Rugby League fail.

Rugby League has moved with the times. There’s no denying it. You will, of course. The way the programme is shown to viewers has progressed as well as other sports. The nineties shouts are just wrong and just your apathy clouding anything Rugby League related. You simply choose not to see it.

You seem to paint your views as totally quantified when you have'nt really answered many arguments at all on this nor have you advanced anything that's particularly convincing. Its just been a series of circular arguments. I'll have you a little bet. Lets see how many on here gravitate to my viewpoint and how many to yours?

Perhaps anyone who disagrees with you can be readily dismissed as a dedicated follower of fashion, that for example the only reason commentators are criticised is because its fashionable - that's the silliest post I've see for some time, really it is. But then not wholly surprising for someone who summarily dismisses the sport as 'crap.' I'm not even sure what you mean by fashionable; is this some sort of esoteric knowledge you have over peoples control of their process?

As I said before Stevo's knowledge of the game was shockingly behind the times for someone who'd played international rugby, and that's what he was called out for. What did he add? What was his relevance beyond pantomime banter? I think the more discerning expect more insight than 'get the link going.' Perhaps calling that out is fashion (whatever that means).

Feel free to have the last word.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 25th February 2021 at 20:15.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

You can criticise the product and presentation Sky give us, but you can't fault the quantity they give us, where I don't think we'd find elsewhere. Yes it clearly benefits Sky, however last year they probably showed closed to 80 live games, and probably 95% of the games once they'd restarted. Over the summer I bet you probably struggled to watch more of any other sport outside of the Premier League

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    You can criticise the product and presentation Sky give us, but you can't fault the quantity they give us, where I don't think we'd find elsewhere. Yes it clearly benefits Sky, however last year they probably showed closed to 80 live games, and probably 95% of the games once they'd restarted. Over the summer I bet you probably struggled to watch more of any other sport outside of the Premier League
    Wonder if that's accounted for in the broadcasting rights?

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

5 days of absolute Rugby League sounds fantastic.

Its a bit of progress to the odd clip here and there in the adverts.

In The South Stand

You seem to paint your views as totally quantified when you have'nt really answered many arguments at all on this nor have you advanced anything that's particularly convincing. Its just been a series of circular arguments. I'll have you a little bet. Lets see how many on here gravitate to my viewpoint and how many to yours?

Perhaps anyone who disagrees with you can be readily dismissed as a dedicated follower of fashion, that for example the only reason commentators are criticised is because its fashionable - that's the silliest post I've see for some time, really it is. But then not wholly surprising for someone who summarily dismisses the sport as 'crap.' I'm not even sure what you mean by fashionable; is this some sort of esoteric knowledge you have over peoples control of their process?

As I said before Stevo's knowledge of the game was shockingly behind the times for someone who'd played international rugby, and that's what he was called out for. What did he add? What was his relevance beyond pantomime banter? I think the more discerning expect more insight than 'get the link going.' Perhaps calling that out is fashion (whatever that means).

Feel free to have the last word.
    I’ll just let you continue to back my argument up.

Nice one.

In The South Stand

If SKY are going to be calling a Channel Rugby League and not super league thats an improvement , i wonder though wether they have heard about the ouRLeague APP and have realised that some people are going to drift towards that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

This looks and sounds like it will be content they have showed across the last few years on Sky Sports Arena all jammed together in one week. 40 'classic' games basically means SL games they have the rights for and have shown many times, and most will be similar to the Grand Final Gold stuff they've shown. I've seen that a few internationals will be in there which sounds interesting, but I think this is very much re-hashed stuff they've already shown in the main. I'd love them to do a proper 90-min season preview on the Wed night (for example) with a panel of guests such as journalists and ex players, make a big deal about it. In these times it's actually easier and cheaper to get 5 or 6 people sat at home on their laptops than using a studio and getting people together, so I'd favour something like that as the marquee show of this week. Normally we just get an extended half hour before the first game were Clarke tips some no hopers to win the GF and Wells talks about something. I'd support something a bit more specific and focused this year, and given that they have the time and space they really have no excuse.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    This looks and sounds like it will be content they have showed across the last few years on Sky Sports Arena all jammed together in one week. 40 'classic' games basically means SL games they have the rights for and have shown many times, and most will be similar to the Grand Final Gold stuff they've shown. I've seen that a few internationals will be in there which sounds interesting, but I think this is very much re-hashed stuff they've already shown in the main. I'd love them to do a proper 90-min season preview on the Wed night (for example) with a panel of guests such as journalists and ex players, make a big deal about it. In these times it's actually easier and cheaper to get 5 or 6 people sat at home on their laptops than using a studio and getting people together, so I'd favour something like that as the marquee show of this week. Normally we just get an extended half hour before the first game were Clarke tips some no hopers to win the GF and Wells talks about something. I'd support something a bit more specific and focused this year, and given that they have the time and space they really have no excuse.
    I hope in future they do more of the watch-a-long games they did during 1st lockdown. Watching the 23-12 GB win over Australia in 2006 with input from Longy, Leon Pryce, Jamie Peacock etc was really interesting. It’s really easy content to generate but very watchable.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

What do you expect them to show? Stuff that hasn’t happened yet?

Games go as far back as 1992, so it appears there’s some games that haven’t been on for some time. I expect it’ll be mostly Super League era games, with the internationals Sky have shown over the years too (so I don’t think England v NZ in 2013 will be shown, for example). I hope there’s a season preview of sorts but I doubt there will be.

Banned

Just found this so it looks like there will be some features and documentaries as one would expect but mainly rehashed ones. Will be interesting to see if there are any newly created documentaries or features etc. For example will Suer League Super Men be updated with say Sean O Loughlin?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.s...of-2021-season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

What do you expect them to show? Stuff that hasn’t happened yet?
    In a way, yes. I want them to do proper programmes previewing the season, interviews, panel shows, etc. They could also show some of the NRL chat shows that Fox do to supplement their live coverage. Look at Sky Sports NFL, it isn't just classic games, it uses the link in they have with NFL Network to show regular programmes across the week. The cost of doing similar for the comp that they are the primary rights holders for would be small in the grand scheme of things, and if they're hyping up a week long RL channel in the week before the start of the season I'd like the start of the season to be the focus.

Here's what matches are on for the 4 days although no timings yet:

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...matches-are-on

I've only skimmed it but there seems to be a decent mix of teams and some older games than I was expecting some of which I definitely won't have seen.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guns86 View Post
    Here's what matches are on for the 4 days although no timings yet:

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...matches-are-on

I've only skimmed it but there seems to be a decent mix of teams and some older games than I was expecting some of which I definitely won't have seen.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    I won't be rushing to watch many of them.

I see above this another thread were Dos Shandies had a hissy fit.

Learning All The Songs

Lots of Leeds and Wigan wins to reminisce over in that list and is that three derby defeats they've picked too?

Funnily enough I don't remember the 'wide to west' game being that great until the ending but I'm not sure if I've ever watched the whole game back since. Looks to be a few decent neutral games though and I don't think I'd tire of watching the Tonga-Aus game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Lots of Leeds and Wigan wins to reminisce over in that list and is that three derby defeats they've picked too?

Funnily enough I don't remember the 'wide to west' game being that great until the ending but I'm not sure if I've ever watched the whole game back since. Looks to be a few decent neutral games though and I don't think I'd tire of watching the Tonga-Aus game.
    It wasn't. I'll probably watch a few of those international games, I suppose it beats the Premiership snorefest every night.