Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Robes

Learning All The Songs

Default Robes

From the great man talking about pre season work

"I probably have more motivation because I am coming towards the end now and it could potentially be my last one so I appreciate it even more."

If it is to be his last season , lets hope we can see him play in person.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

...and send him off with some silverware

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    ...and send him off with all of the silverware
    Corrected for accuracy

He’s signed an 11 year extension

Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    From the great man talking about pre season work

"I probably have more motivation because I am coming towards the end now and it could potentially be my last one so I appreciate it even more."

If it is to be his last season , lets hope we can see him play in person.
    Roby and Cunningham have been the best British hookers probably in the history of the sport. Absolutely peerless and not sure who could be compared to them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Roby and Cunningham have been the best British hookers probably in the history of the sport. Absolutely peerless and not sure who could be compared to them.
    I agree and it shows how lucky we have been that we haven't had to go out and buy a 1st choice hooker for the entire Super League era. We've had the best 9 in the competition for 25 years which is absolutely ridiculous when you think about it.

It's a huge dilemma to be sorted over the next 12 months. At this stage I'm not sure how happy I would be with Smith or Eaves being our first choice hooker next year.(No guarantee this will be Roby's last but you never know). Both have bags of potential but I am not sure they are "there" yet. I would be more inclined to throw Roby's money at Aiden Sezer and play Fages at 9....
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

It will be A really sad day when Robes hangs up his boots I don't think we will ever have another player as good and consistent as he has been for the club.

Banned

It's a huge dilemma to be sorted over the next 12 months. At this stage I'm not sure how happy I would be with Smith or Eaves being our first choice hooker next year.(No guarantee this will be Roby's last but you never know). Both have bags of potential but I am not sure they are "there" yet. I would be more inclined to throw Roby's money at Aiden Sezer and play Fages at 9....[/QUOTE]

Agree with this 100%. Smith on bench

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I agree and it shows how lucky we have been that we haven't had to go out and buy a 1st choice hooker for the entire Super League era. We've had the best 9 in the competition for 25 years which is absolutely ridiculous when you think about it.

It's a huge dilemma to be sorted over the next 12 months. At this stage I'm not sure how happy I would be with Smith or Eaves being our first choice hooker next year.(No guarantee this will be Roby's last but you never know). Both have bags of potential but I am not sure they are "there" yet. I would be more inclined to throw Roby's money at Aiden Sezer and play Fages at 9....

And what would you do with Dodd. Do you think that he will continue to wait on the sideline being given the odd game ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Agree with this 100%. Smith on bench[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on Fages and Sezer would be a fabulous signing but lets see how Dodd does this year first. Regarding Smith and Eaves, I'd be inclined to let Smith go at the end of the season, I just see more in Eaves even though he's barely played.

It'll be a massive headache for the club when Robes decides enough is enough. The guy has been the definition of consistency and high standards throughout his career. He just seemed to get better game by game last season too! Absolutely top athlete.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

...whats even more gutting is in a recent podcast i listened to that had Roby as a guest, he implied he saw his future outside of Rugby League.

It will be hard to lose him on the pitch, but completely from the sport totally is really a sad situation

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    And what would you do with Dodd. Do you think that he will continue to wait on the sideline being given the odd game ?
    To be honest when I wrote that post earlier I forgot about Dodd. I’ve heard all the right things about him but obviously we are yet to see it, so it’s hard to say how his career will develop. I’d hate to see him quickly crash and burn like Richardson did.

If he can get enough games in this year to prove he’s the real deal and a starter for 2022 then there’d be no need to buy another 7. We could then either still move Fages to 9 and spend Roby’s wage elsewhere, or invest heavily in a marquee 9 and let Fages go.

Either way, another 3,4,5 years or whatever with Fages at 7 doesn’t exactly thrill me.

Not meaning to derail the thread anyway, this is about Roby.

One of the best compliments I can give him is that in all my years watching Saints I don’t think I’ve ever dreaded anyone retiring/leaving as much I am with him. He’s as close to being “irreplaceable” as you can get.

Learning All The Songs

Not meaning to derail the thread anyway, this is about Roby.

One of the best compliments I can give him is that in all my years watching Saints I don’t think I’ve ever dreaded anyone retiring/leaving as much I am with him. He’s as close to being “irreplaceable” as you can get.
    Yes it does not give you confidence. I can only say the best hookers apart from lot of their attributes have got pace off the mark. i would say Roby has two years at the top.

Would Fages be happy to be moved from 7 to 9?
    I'm not so sure to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Would Fages be happy to be moved from 7 to 9?
    I'm not so sure to be honest
    Not sure either but it would be a way of keeping him as a regular starter but also doing what’s best for the team. It’s all hypothetical but which of these looks best on paper:

7. Fages 9. Smith
    7. Dodd 9. Fages

For me it’s the latter without question.

There’s lots of ifs and buts surrounding 9 and 7 between now and the end of the season.

Will Roby retire?
    Will we offer Fages a new deal?
    Will Dodd prove he can live up to the hype?

It’s not unrealistic to say there could be any of the following 7 and 9 combinations for 2022.

Fages and Roby
    Fages and Smith
    Fages and Eaves
    Fages and new 9
    Dodd and Roby
    Dodd and Fages
    Dodd and Smith
    Dodd and Eaves
    Dodd and new 9
    New 7 and Roby
    New 7 and Smith
    New 7 and Eaves
    New 7 and Fages
    New 7 and New 9

I’m tired writing that. Off to bed.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

If Dodd lives up to his potential he could be at 7 with Fages on the bench

The timing may not quite be right for Dodd yet but if we brought in someone else Dodd may well move on

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I would like to keep Fages at Saints in some capacity but if he doesn’t fancy playing 9 i don’t think it would be the end of the world if he moved on, and it would certainly free up some cap space. Dodd will probably get more games this season and I can’t see him anywhere other than at 7. We have plenty options. Josh Eaves really impressed me in the game against Salford a few month back. He looks like a real out and out 9 who can guide a team around the pitch.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies