Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Saints 13 best of British v Aussies

  1. #1
    Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,201
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Saints 13 best of British v Aussies

    Inspired by an article in the St. Helens Star, pick your all-time Saints 1-13 of British players and then Aussie/NZ/Pacific Islander players, compare your team and which one you think would win. Must be players you've seen in the red V live.

    1. Wellens - Coote
    2. Makinson - Albert
    3. Gleeson - Gidley
    4. Newlove - Lyon
    5. Grace - Meli
    6. Lomax - Barba
    7. Long - Walsh
    8. Graham - Fairleigh
    9. Cunningham - Hohaia
    10. Fa'asavalu - Cayless
    11. Joynt - Soliola
    12. Gilmour - Sheils
    13. Sculthorpe - Hooper

    Fa'asavalu played for GB, so that's good enough for me. I picked him because the other Saints pack seemed more aggressive than the British one, so Fa'asavalu goes in for the extra aggression. I believe it would be a really close quality game but the backs for the Aussie/NZ/Islander Saints would just sneak it and be that little bit more clinical in attack.

  2. #2
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    659
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Inspired by an article in the St. Helens Star, pick your all-time Saints 1-13 of British players and then Aussie/NZ/Pacific Islander players, compare your team and which one you think would win. Must be players you've seen in the red V live.

    1. Wellens - Coote
    2. Makinson - Albert
    3. Gleeson - Gidley
    4. Newlove - Lyon
    5. Grace - Meli
    6. Lomax - Barba
    7. Long - Walsh
    8. Graham - Fairleigh
    9. Cunningham - Hohaia
    10. Fa'asavalu - Cayless
    11. Joynt - Soliola
    12. Gilmour - Sheils
    13. Sculthorpe - Hooper

    Fa'asavalu played for GB, so that's good enough for me. I picked him because the other Saints pack seemed more aggressive than the British one, so Fa'asavalu goes in for the extra aggression. I believe it would be a really close quality game but the backs for the Aussie/NZ/Islander Saints would just sneak it and be that little bit more clinical in attack.
    I’d probably go Sullivan or Gardner over Grace and Walmsley over Fa’asavalu, but i cant disagree with any of the rest of them.

  3. #3
    Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,201
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I’d probably go Sullivan or Gardner over Grace and Walmsley over Fa’asavalu, but i cant disagree with any of the rest of them.
    Can't believe I forgot about Walmsley.
    Yeah was a tough call between Sullivan and Grace

  4. #4
    Got A Replica Shirt Sainthood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    54
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Inspired by an article in the St. Helens Star, pick your all-time Saints 1-13 of British players and then Aussie/NZ/Pacific Islander players, compare your team and which one you think would win. Must be players you've seen in the red V live.

    1. Wellens - Coote
    2. Makinson - Albert
    3. Gleeson - Gidley
    4. Newlove - Lyon
    5. Grace - Meli
    6. Lomax - Barba
    7. Long - Walsh
    8. Graham - Fairleigh
    9. Cunningham - Hohaia
    10. Fa'asavalu - Cayless
    11. Joynt - Soliola
    12. Gilmour - Sheils
    13. Sculthorpe - Hooper
    Your first 6 I couldn't decide, but 7 to 13 and the Brits win it hands down.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,840
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    British - I've tweaked the forward line to fit everyone in, I'm sure it would all work out okay!
    1. P Wellens
    2. A Hunte
    3. S Gibbs
    4. P Newlove
    5. A Sullivan
    6. T Martyn*
    7. S Long
    8. A Walmsley
    9. K Cunningham
    10. K Ward
    11. C Joynt
    12. P Sculthorpe
    13. J Graham
    * I know Martyn was capped by Ireland but he's from Leigh. If I'm not allowed him I'll go Long at 6, Goulding at 7

    Southern Hemisphere - again, not everyone is in their best positions but it'd work out fine.
    1. P Veivers
    2. M O'Connor
    3. M Meninga
    4. J Lyon
    5. D Albert
    6. B Clark
    7. S Cooper
    8. D Fairleigh
    9. L Hohaia
    10. P Sheils
    11. G Mann
    12. V Anderson
    13. J Hooper

  6. #6
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    934
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I am surprised that Apollo Perelini hasn't had a mention yet.

  7. #7
    Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,201
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I am surprised that Apollo Perelini hasn't had a mention yet.
    Perelini, Britt, Martyn, Pryce, Roby - there are loads that could be mentioned. Would love to see other peoples teams

  8. #8
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    No Ropati!.

  9. #9
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    1.Wellens - Barba
    2. Makinson - Albert
    3. Laughlin - Meninga
    4. Newlove - Lyon
    5. Sullivan - McCracken
    6. Martyn - Ropati
    7. Long - Walsh
    8. Graham - Fairleigh
    9. Cunningham - Hohaia
    10.Walmsley - Britt
    11. Joynt - Solilola
    12. Gilmour - Mann
    13. Sculthorpe - Cooper

  10. #10
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,498
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Based on who I’ve seen:
    1. Wellens
    2. Makinson
    3. Gleeson
    4. Newlove
    5. Sullivan
    6. Pryce
    7. Long
    8. Graham
    9. Cunningham
    10. Walmsley
    11. Joynt
    12. Gilmour
    13. Sculthorpe
    vs
    1. Barba
    2. Albert
    3. Lyon
    4. Talau
    5. Meli
    6. Coote
    7. Walsh
    8. Perelini
    9. Hohaia
    10. Fa’asavalu (as British as Coote anyway)
    11. Soliola
    12. Taia
    13. Hooper
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  11. #11
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.
    Age
    48
    Posts
    12,338
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    I'm only going to count players I saw playing for us, which thankfully saves me a dilemma at centre.

    I've moved Shane Cooper to the halves, where he first started, as Luke Walsh and Paul Bishop never really did it for me, and slotted James Graham into the back row to accommodate Big Alex.

    I've also moved Alan Hunte to his secondary position as centre as Tommy Makinson probably deserves to be in there ahead of Gary Connolly, for longevity more than anything else.

    Lance Hohaia isn't fit to be mentioned in the same breath as the others but I couldn't reasonably name a hooking alternative, as there is no way I'm picking Travis Burns. :-)

    1. Wellens - Coote
    2. Makinson - Hoppe
    3. Hunte - Gidley
    4. Newlove - Lyon
    5. Sullivan - Albert
    6. Martyn - Ropati
    7. Long - Cooper
    8. Ward - Fairleigh
    9. Cunningham - Hohaia
    10.Walmsley - Perelini
    11. Joynt - Soliola
    12. Graham - Vautin
    13. Sculthorpe - Hooper
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Borussia Dortmund, Preston North End, St. Helens Town, Steps 3 to 6 Non-League Football

  12. #12
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,498
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Lance Hohaia isn't fit to be mentioned in the same breath as the others but I couldn't reasonably name a hooking alternative, as there is no way I'm picking Travis Burns. :-)
    That was my thinking on Hohaia. Though thinking about it I might just put Gidley in the centre and back Jamie Lyon to do a job at hooker!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  13. #13
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,462
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    1. Wellens
    2. Makinson
    3. Gibbs
    4. Newlove
    5. Hunte
    6. Martyn
    7. Long
    8. Ward
    9. Cunningham
    10. Walmsley
    11. Joynt
    12. Sculthorpe
    13. Graham


    1. Barba
    2. Albert
    3. Lyon
    4. Meninga
    5. Hoppe
    6. Ropati
    7. Coote
    8. Perelini
    9. Hooper
    10. Fairleigh
    11. Soliola
    12. Taia
    13. Cooper
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  14. #14
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,462
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Hooper made a handful of starts at hooker, and also spelled there during some games.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  15. #15
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,804
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I'm only going to count players I saw playing for us, which thankfully saves me a dilemma at centre.

    I've moved Shane Cooper to the halves, where he first started, as Luke Walsh and Paul Bishop never really did it for me, and slotted James Graham into the back row to accommodate Big Alex.

    I've also moved Alan Hunte to his secondary position as centre as Tommy Makinson probably deserves to be in there ahead of Gary Connolly, for longevity more than anything else.

    Lance Hohaia isn't fit to be mentioned in the same breath as the others but I couldn't reasonably name a hooking alternative, as there is no way I'm picking Travis Burns. :-)

    1. Wellens - Coote
    2. Makinson - Hoppe
    3. Hunte - Gidley
    4. Newlove - Lyon
    5. Sullivan - Albert
    6. Martyn - Ropati
    7. Long - Cooper
    8. Ward - Fairleigh
    9. Cunningham - Hohaia
    10.Walmsley - Perelini
    11. Joynt - Soliola
    12. Graham - Vautin
    13. Sculthorpe - Hooper
    Loving Cooper at 7; a country mile better than Walsh. Would have had Darren Smith ahead of Vautin though.

  16. #16
    Got A Season Ticket volls_dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    207
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    It's a bit difficult for someone of my vintage to make these picks - the game is so different now to when I started watching in 1959.... players who were great in one era might not have made the team in another; also the memory can play tricks as to how good some players might have actually been, but I'll make my selections:

    1 Wellens - Coote
    2 Hunte - Vollenhoven
    3 Loughlin - Lyon
    4 Newlove - Meninga
    5 Sullivan - Killeen
    6 Martyn - Ropati
    7 Murphy - Walsh
    8 Graham - Fairleigh
    9 Cunningham - Hohaia (same reservations as everyone else)
    10 Watson - Perelini
    11 Huddart -- Soliola
    12 Nicholls - Smith
    13 Sculthorpe - Cooper

  17. #17
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blatherings on 13 Pro-Am podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service
    Posts
    8,352
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    So many didn't see Big Mal-wow getting old.
    Learned comment from The Don

  18. #18
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,829
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Bloody hell, we've still got 2 months until the season starts.

  19. #19
    Starting A Programme Collection sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    31
    Posts
    520
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Bloody hell, we've still got 2 months until the season starts.
    I'm spending it rewatching games from 18,19,20 seasons.

  20. #20
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,829
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I'm spending it rewatching games from 18,19,20 seasons.
    Got to be better than watching Spurs V Cry babies.

    My old Sky box deleted all my recorded games annoyingly.

  21. #21
    Starting A Programme Collection sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    31
    Posts
    520
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Got to be better than watching Spurs V Cry babies.

    My old Sky box deleted all my recorded games annoyingly.
    I havent entertained watching football in a long long time.

    What a dreadful sport.

  22. #22
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,804
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I havent entertained watching football in a long long time.

    What a dreadful sport.
    Plus you need the brain the size of a pea to play it.

  23. #23
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,741
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I havent entertained watching football in a long long time.

    What a dreadful sport.
    I might watch the odd CL game, but a normal PL game holds my interest for all of 10 mins.

  24. #24
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,741
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Plus you need the brain the size of a pea to play it.
    You also need an Equity card to be able throw yourself to the ground and roll over three times just off the wind of someone running past you.

  25. #25
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    505
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    1. Wellens - coote
    2. Makinson -albert
    3. Gleeson - lyon
    4. Newlove - gidley
    5. Sullivan - hoppe
    6. Lomax - hooper
    7. Long - walsh
    8. Graham - cayless
    9. Cunningham - hohaia (hohaia was aweful but no other 9)
    10. Walmsley - peralini
    11. Joynt - soliola
    12. Gilmour - taia
    13. Sculthorpe - puletua

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •