Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite player of all time.

Banned

To be honest, it was only the passion and pride of those lads that kept us in the top flight. Between 80 and 83 we were bloody awful. An old Les Jones ended up second row as did slasher, lads like Parkes, Litherland and Johnny Smith really did not have it. Haggerty Arkwright to name two where kids then and thrown in at the deep end playing centres to a pack who struggled badly. Wigan Saints and Leeds just dipped and in effect where skint. Leigh Widnes and the Hull clubs reigned and Wire still didn't end up as Champions.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Paul Sculthorpe - On his day he was the best player in the comp and a player the Aussies genuinely respected. Could pass, run with the ball, fend, sidestep, good kicking game, good at conversions and never took a backwards step. He'd be the first name on my starting 13

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I'm not normally a fan of these 'best of' threads, but this one is quite interesting as it's bringing back quite a few distant memories! It's also interesting to see some of the choices, which obviously reflect the age of the poster. I say this because I suspect that most of you choose a 'favourite' when you were quite young. As you get older and you understand the game more, a 'favourite' becomes less relevant. You 'mature' into appreciating different players for different reasons.
    So...
    Very early memories of Cliff Watson, and I'd probably say George Nicholls as my 'favourite', but there are many more since then, for reasons mentioned.
    I would also like to mention Mal Reilly. He brought something back with him from his first stint in Australia that was just 'different' to what we were used to. A little taster of what was to follow from that part of the world!

Learning All The Songs

When I started watching Saint's my favorite player used to be Harry Pinner. Not too sure if it was his playing ability or the tape around his head to keep his hair out of his eyes but he was my first 'favourite player'.

Noooobie

gEORGE NICHOLLS for me rock solid

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    When I started watching Saint's my favorite player used to be Harry Pinner. Not too sure if it was his playing ability or the tape around his head to keep his hair out of his eyes but he was my first 'favourite player'.
    Another from the dark days of the late seventies through to the more optimistic mid eighties when Mal lifted the spirits.
    Pinner was a very good player and captain of GB for the home series against New Zealand, GB had a very good team then after the hammerings from "The Invicibles" at the start of the 80`s, maybe just short of two/three form props at the same time, Ward, Crooks, Harrison, Big Brendan, Waddell, Platt and Medley never seemed to be on song together for tests. To be named captain in them teams was no mean feat.
    Haggerty missed him when he left as he used to over run Cooper during his first season, with that Roy staccato run and step but with Pinner it seemed easy, yeah another "good`un" was Harry.
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 27th January 2021 at 18:25.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Another from the dark days of the late seventies through to the more optimistic mid eighties when Mal lifted the spirits.
    Pinner was a very good player and captain of GB for the home series against New Zealand, GB had a very good team then after the hammerings from "The Invicibles" at the start of the 80`s, maybe just short of two/three form props at the same time, Ward, Crooks, Harrison, Big Brendan, Waddell, Platt and Medley never seemed to be on song together for tests. To be named captain in them teams was no mean feat.
    Haggerty missed him when he left as he used to over run Cooper during his first season, with that Roy staccato run and step but with Pinner it seemed easy, yeah another "good`un" was Harry.

There were times he couldn't tackle a big dinner, though.

My first season watching was the Meninga season, and the guy was spellbinding - a man-mountain who could still bloody shift. How could he not be my first favourite player?

Banned

Can I be honest Pal? Harry and Holding they where good uns. BUT Steve Peters did that much tackling at Stand Off it was unreal. He tackled for Harry, Holding and himself.

Got A Season Ticket

Can't choose between Les Jones on one wing and Frank Wilson on the other.

BTW did anyone look less like a rugby player than Les?

So happy to see Wellens getting many shouts - he took a lot of flack on the boards in his latter years which I felt were undeserved and I was worried it would affect his overall standing as a Saints great. He gets my vote.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Can't choose between Les Jones on one wing and Frank Wilson on the other.

BTW did anyone look less like a rugby player than Les?
    Brian Bevan springs to mind

Got A Season Ticket

Meninga was the first player I can remember being is awe of. I can remember queuing up for his autograph (I think where Wilkos is now?) and being starstruck as a ten year old . Meninga was the talk of our school and I would imagine most workplaces in St. Helens. Veivers was also a player I liked along with Haggerty, Arkwright, Pinner and Holding . Fave players of recent times Scully and Roby.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Can I be honest Pal? Harry and Holding they where good uns. BUT Steve Peters did that much tackling at Stand Off it was unreal. He tackled for Harry, Holding and himself.
    Another good one was Ste Peters & Mr Utility because of his good defence.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Chris Joynt
    Same here.
    Of all the world-class talent we had between 95 and 2004 for me Joynty was the most consistent and committed of them all.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Another good one was Ste Peters & Mr Utility because of his good defence.
    Bernard Dwyer another very honest player who played all positions in the pack but prop. A very hard working hooker who was a brilliant club man.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

This is a great thread and interesting to see people's different take on favourite.
    It's quite telling that many see it as commitment to the cause and heart rather than just ability, that's always been my take on it.

My favourite pre-superleague was always Les Quirke. His whole demeanor always seemed to me like he didn't want to be on the field, he looked scared to death half the time. It was like having Stan Laurel stood on the wing at times, but he was bloody good!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Paul Wellens. The most passionate, committed player ive ever seen since i started watching in the mid 90’s. When Darren Lockyer was asked who he thought was the best player in Super League he said Paul Wellens.
    He drove the ball when our forwards got tired, caught every high ball, bundled bigger men over the touchline inches from scoring, created tries and scored plenty despite not being the fastest fullback around.
    I remember us losing at Odsal in 2006. Vainikola was metres from the tryline. He would have steamrolled any other fullback. Wellens picked him up and dumped him in touch. I was gutted when he retired.
    I remember that tackle on vainakola, the big guy was none too pleased.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nutgrovesaint View Post
    Meninga was the first player I can remember being is awe of. I can remember queuing up for his autograph (I think where Wilkos is now?) and being starstruck as a ten year old . Meninga was the talk of our school and I would imagine most workplaces in St. Helens. Veivers was also a player I liked along with Haggerty, Arkwright, Pinner and Holding . Fave players of recent times Scully and Roby.
    You are right was at Helena House I was there that day too

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    I remember that tackle on vainakola, the big guy was none too pleased.
    He looked insulted that someone had the nerve to even attempt tackle him so close to the line.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Too many to choose from really.

I guess I'd have to go for Vollenhoven, it was his signing that encouraged my dad to take me to my first game as a 7 yr old.

In those days the games would often be a forward slog in the mud, but you went to the matches just to see Voll do something special.

Of course it's easy to pick one of the games greats,

so leaving them aside I'd go for Roy Heggarty, not the biggest or the most skilful of players , but put a Saints' jersey on him he'd run through a brickwall, get up and run through it again

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    My favourite pre-superleague was always Les Quirke. His whole demeanor always seemed to me like he didn't want to be on the field, he looked scared to death half the time. It was like having Stan Laurel stood on the wing at times, but he was bloody good!
    Pure speed really. I loved him when I was a kid, he was responsible for three of my best memories as a Saints fan (the long range try at OT against Wigan in the 1990 Cup SF were he skinned Hampson at the end, the tap and go try on Good Friday at KR a few weeks later, and of course the 'orgasmic' winner against Hull in 1991). He had injury issues but over three seasons (88-89, 89-90 and 90-91) he was everything you'd want in a winger, just pure pace and the ability to run the right angles and create space with the ball. Then he got another injury I think and it all ended for him pretty quickly at quite a young age. He started to cut back inside alot and started to doubt himself, it was a shame to see, and he was never the same player. But for those 3 seasons Quirk was magic.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Pure speed really. I loved him when I was a kid, he was responsible for three of my best memories as a Saints fan (the long range try at OT against Wigan in the 1990 Cup SF were he skinned Hampson at the end, the tap and go try on Good Friday at KR a few weeks later, and of course the 'orgasmic' winner against Hull in 1991). He had injury issues but over three seasons (88-89, 89-90 and 90-91) he was everything you'd want in a winger, just pure pace and the ability to run the right angles and create space with the ball. Then he got another injury I think and it all ended for him pretty quickly at quite a young age. He started to cut back inside alot and started to doubt himself, it was a shame to see, and he was never the same player. But for those 3 seasons Quirk was magic.

Can’t remember which try it was, we were in A stand at the time and he got christened “last minute Les”for the effort. Quite fantastic.

I'd probably have to go with Scully.

For a forward, he had a great skill set, a fend that would knock anyone to the floor, and he was as hard & solid as they come.

As a bit of a wildcard, I grew up admiring Kevin Iro and how he used to turn it on in the big games, quality player.

In The South Stand

It's a real toughie, as there's so many to choose from. Scully, Newlove, Long, Cunningham, Murphy, Lyon, the list is almost endless. Having said that I'd have to go with a current player who is just the best player I can recall seeing in a Saints shirt. James Roby.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    I'd probably have to go with Scully.

For a forward, he had a great skill set, a fend that would knock anyone to the floor, and he was as hard & solid as they come.

As a bit of a wildcard, I grew up admiring Kevin Iro and how he used to turn it on in the big games, quality player.
    On the other thread (GB v Overseas 13's) I wanted to include Iro because he was huge for us for a time, but I couldn't stick him in front of Meninga and Lyon. I'd grown up seeing him win the lot for Wigan but they say time is a great healer and I now just look at him as a player who did loads for us at the back end of his career.