Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Private equity proposal

Banned

Bill Arthur couldn't lace the boots of Eddie Waring. He has zero respect from those alongside him, which in turn allows McDermott to basically talk drivel. I don't think SKY have one good one between them.

More worryingly I found they worked hard to portray us as northern racists last season. They brushed over RL having the first black coach and black captain at club and international level in UK sport. They covered every inch almost of our stadiums with their specific political message and slaughtered lads who wouldn't "take the knee" this by a guy who wont wear a poppy. Dire production, I would take less for change and more ownership. I was told Elstone was a SKY appointment and Wood was a SKY sacking! Right sacking. Wrong appointment. The game needed fresh eyes.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    More worryingly I found they worked hard to portray us as northern racists last season. They brushed over RL having the first black coach and black captain at club and international level in UK sport. They covered every inch almost of our stadiums with their specific political message and slaughtered lads who wouldn't "take the knee" this by a guy who wont wear a poppy. Dire production, I would take less for change and more ownership. I was told Elstone was a SKY appointment and Wood was a SKY sacking! Right sacking. Wrong appointment. The game needed fresh eyes.
    This ties in with the bigger argument though, namely the power they have over the sport. Sky found a pliable sport that they could paint their owners (NBC) American culture war messages all over for months, with no opposition or debate over the rights or wrongs of said messages. The Premier League got wind of the conflicting message of fighting racism on one hand and looking like they were promoting BLM UK as a movement on the other, and quickly abandoned the logo and all mention of BLM. The subsequent PL anti-racism stance has been alot more measured and more appropriate IMO, and Sky were basically forced to drop their political messaging in the main on their PL coverage.

Meanwhile, over at Super League, no debate was had, nobody in the game was clever enough or brave enough to counter the messaging that their overlords splashed all over our grounds and screens. Watch the Lions documentary, JJB and others make a point to specifically rubbish the claims that the game has a problem with racism, contrary to what Sky were trying to say. But nobody spoke up for the game on Sky, nobody countered the narrative, nobody had the guts. We are the not the bosses in the relationship, we are Sky's dogs basically.

My contract runs until July then it's cancelled. I refuse to be lectured about my apparent sins by the sports wing of a foreign owned broadcaster. Only when RL fans have the collective guts and conviction of their actions will we get better than this. Your subscription money and your eyes on their channels tells them they can do what they want.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    This ties in with the bigger argument though, namely the power they have over the sport. Sky found a pliable sport that they could paint their owners (NBC) American culture war messages all over for months, with no opposition or debate over the rights or wrongs of said messages. The Premier League got wind of the conflicting message of fighting racism on one hand and looking like they were promoting BLM UK as a movement on the other, and quickly abandoned the logo and all mention of BLM. The subsequent PL anti-racism stance has been alot more measured and more appropriate IMO, and Sky were basically forced to drop their political messaging in the main on their PL coverage.

Meanwhile, over at Super League, no debate was had, nobody in the game was clever enough or brave enough to counter the messaging that their overlords splashed all over our grounds and screens. Watch the Lions documentary, JJB and others make a point to specifically rubbish the claims that the game has a problem with racism, contrary to what Sky were trying to say. But nobody spoke up for the game on Sky, nobody countered the narrative, nobody had the guts. We are the not the bosses in the relationship, we are Sky's dogs basically.

My contract runs until July then it's cancelled. I refuse to be lectured about my apparent sins by the sports wing of a foreign owned broadcaster. Only when RL fans have the collective guts and conviction of their actions will we get better than this. Your subscription money and your eyes on their channels tells them they can do what they want.
    As ever eloquently put - hear, hear!!
    I would add to your prose that I also objected to being given a lesson in morality based on an event that happened thousands of miles away; our sport being used as a giant tarpaulin to project the problems of US society. It doesnt take a genius to understand why a message and tone that may be appropriate in one land may be confusing at best in another.

Be that as it may as Cypeus points out our sport had a proud tradition of being ahead of the curve where race was concerned. Something that was positive and offered affirmation that attitudes can be positive and kind as they sometimes can be dark.

But no, we brought out the peabrain sized intellect of Offiah to lecture the great unwashed, especially the loathsome Embery brethren about their ignorance and brutishness.

SKY are goners on my contract too. But no doubt Eamonn, Ian and Simon think they are dead cool and da future.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 31st January 2021 at 21:24.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    The problem is the people who run the sport or who head up the SL teams seem oblivious to the fact that the presentation of their sport by SKY is abysmal. I bet if you asked Eamonn he'd probably think people still thought that ridiculous try music was dead cool, Baz n' Tez were funny and Bill Arthur was RL's Bill McClaren.

There can't be a sport that is so out of touch with its supporters in this regard. For a sport that prides itself on 'community' that is shameful, moreso as the TV deals for our sport have much wider ramifications than money alone. You only need to look at how the Challenge Cup has been debased and the messing about with the League format durings SKY's tenure of broadcasting rights to understand that.

The rub here is that surely something has to give. As Gray77 has said before it's likely SKY sees RL as cheap little placeholder that it can use to fill quiet slots in the schedule whilst holding a stable (but captive) audience amongst the games supporters who have been steadfastly loyal. If this is true, surely the fact that more of us bemoan their woeful coverage that belongs in 1991 not 2021 is a threat. I'm seriously thinking of jibbing SKY off and I wouldn't be surprised if others are.

At the same token, the current presentation is unlikely to attract new followers, especially those outside the 'core areas.' Whils Stevo was allowed to carry on for about 5-10 years too long many mates from the SW found SKY's coverage risible to say the least and their cheap hyperbole something that should accompany WWE not a serious, self respecting sport.

I totally despair that Elstone and Rimmer through to Lenagan, McManus don't seem to articulate a better vision of how our sport should be presented more appropriately. At the moment its declining to Eddie Waring like commentary in the 70's.
    I agree with most of what you say but I don't think McManus, and a few of the more switched on owners are satisfied with Sky. I think they keep their mouths shut because they fear the repercussions and I think the others are far too concerned selling used cars and organising jumble sales.

I'm glad to say I binned most of my Sky subscription when I moved in November.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Bill Arthur couldn't lace the boots of Eddie Waring. He has zero respect from those alongside him, which in turn allows McDermott to basically talk drivel. I don't think SKY have one good one between them.

Carney Is a hypocrite. it's Ok to play Rugby for GB, to earn your living in the UK, but don't expect him to put anything back like wear a poppy or have your photo taken with the captain when there is a Union Jack in the picture. He once described himself as being so passionately Irish that it's like being American Irish. That's exactly what he reminds me of. I was playing Rugby in the US against a touring Irish side the day Bobby Sands died. We were all in the pub after, and when it was my turn to pay one of the Irish lads said give me your money and I will order. He said the way the Irish Americans at the bar were talking, I was likely to get shot if they heard my accent. The real Irish lads had no problem with me. Only the false American ones. Carney reminds me of the same.

I really hope we have a successful and entertaining World Cup. If we get decent audiences on BBC that could lead anywhere in the future. I'm sure a lot of SL owners would like to see a more professional production than that of Sky. In a way I'm surprised there hasn't been a bit of a cabal among some of the more enlightened owners but it's probably a case of don't bite the hand that feeds you. That or not enough enlightened ones. I would like to see us on terrestrial TV with the likes of Wilkin. I also like JJB and JP, though their accents may be a bit much for a wider non Norther audience.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Carney Is a hypocrite. it's Ok to play Rugby for GB, to earn your living in the UK, but don't expect him to put anything back like wear a poppy or have your photo taken with the captain when there is a Union Jack in the picture. He once described himself as being so passionately Irish that it's like being American Irish. That's exactly what he reminds me of. I was playing Rugby in the US against a touring Irish side the day Bobby Sands died. We were all in the pub after, and when it was my turn to pay one of the Irish lads said give me your money and I will order. He said the way the Irish Americans at the bar were talking, I was likely to get shot if they heard my accent. The real Irish lads had no problem with me. Only the false American ones. Carney reminds me of the same.

I really hope we have a successful and entertaining World Cup. If we get decent audiences on BBC that could lead anywhere in the future. I'm sure a lot of SL owners would like to see a more professional production than that of Sky. In a way I'm surprised there hasn't been a bit of a cabal among some of the more enlightened owners but it's probably a case of don't bite the hand that feeds you. That or not enough enlightened ones. I would like to see us on terrestrial TV with the likes of Wilkin. I also like JJB and JP, though their accents may be a bit much for a wider non Norther audience.
    TBF to Carney, it is called the British and Irish lions. If it was just the British lions (which is what it is always known as), he wouldn't have played. The rest I agree with you 100%

Default Private equity proposal

I think you’ve taken a bit of a leap from Carney not wearing a poppy to being the kind of person who would shoot an Englishman if he turned up at the bar.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think you’ve taken a bit of a leap from Carney not wearing a poppy to being the kind of person who would shoot an Englishman if he turned up at the bar.
    Ah but you don’t understand the logical thought process of the gammon.

I think you're both jumping the gun yourselves in what you're saying. It was merely an anecdote to describe a certain mentality, not an accusation of Carney's secret desires.

One of my best friends is Irish, but he's lived in the US for over a decade now after living in England for a few years. He has gained a certain ex-pat professional Irishman persona over various issues now that he is nowhere near Ireland, which he never displayed when he was back home or even in England, but I think it's natural in a way. I was always more aware of where I was from when I lived in London, whereas now I'm back up North it doesn't really cross my mind too much, and the world is full of areas with centres of ex-pat Brits who go wild for stereotypes of British culture that they probably ignored in the main before they upped sticks.

The Irish-American phenomenon is quite strange as well, I agree with Belgian. You listen to Biden telling the BBC he can't stop to talk to them because 'I'm Irish' and you just roll your eyes really. I happened to go to my Irish mates wedding in Austin, Texas and when we all turned up for the practice ceremony we were all informed not to mess around in the service because the priest wouldn't stand for it, because 'he's Irish'. The 30 guests all stood there bewildered given that 90% of them were actually Irish and had travelled there from Cork and Limerick, and when the priest showed up and gave us an anecdote from his favourite tv show 'Everybody Loves Raymond' in a thick Texan accent I thought 'yeah, it doesn't get more Irish than this!' But that fella was probably more acutely aware of what his version of Irishness was, and how it gave him some identity and set him apart from others in south Texas than a lad walking around Cork, Dublin or Galway will ever really give thought to. It's natural, and I think Carney displayed such an ex-pat attitude this year despite it coming off as massively hypocritical.

Banned

I think you're both jumping the gun yourselves in what you're saying. It was merely an anecdote to describe a certain mentality, not an accusation of Carney's secret desires.

One of my best friends is Irish, but he's lived in the US for over a decade now after living in England for a few years. He has gained a certain ex-pat professional Irishman persona over various issues now that he is nowhere near Ireland, which he never displayed when he was back home or even in England, but I think it's natural in a way. I was always more aware of where I was from when I lived in London, whereas now I'm back up North it doesn't really cross my mind too much, and the world is full of areas with centres of ex-pat Brits who go wild for stereotypes of British culture that they probably ignored in the main before they upped sticks.

The Irish-American phenomenon is quite strange as well, I agree with Belgian. You listen to Biden telling the BBC he can't stop to talk to them because 'I'm Irish' and you just roll your eyes really. I happened to go to my Irish mates wedding in Austin, Texas and when we all turned up for the practice ceremony we were all informed not to mess around in the service because the priest wouldn't stand for it, because 'he's Irish'. The 30 guests all stood there bewildered given that 90% of them were actually Irish and had travelled there from Cork and Limerick, and when the priest showed up and gave us an anecdote from his favourite tv show 'Everybody Loves Raymond' in a thick Texan accent I thought 'yeah, it doesn't get more Irish than this!' But that fella was probably more acutely aware of what his version of Irishness was, and how it gave him some identity and set him apart from others in south Texas than a lad walking around Cork, Dublin or Galway will ever really give thought to. It's natural, and I think Carney displayed such an ex-pat attitude this year despite it coming off as massively hypocritical.
    The killer question - Did the priest offer to tarmac your drive?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    the killer question - did the priest offer to tarmac your drive?

Learning All The Songs

I don`t think Carney is the enemy here, he portrays the game well and has only positive things to say about his life in RL and England.
    As far as stereotypes being cast by Sky, have a look at some of the Rugby AM stuff Goodwin did, he blacked himself up for a skit sketch on JJB and Broughton, then visiting rugby grounds to see who can down their pint the quickest, is that really what we are at ourselves?
    I was dating a Liverpool girl in the mid 80`s, one night out in Liverpool we called to the chippy on the way home where I committed the crime of asking for a "split", there was a row and without some local help I would have been kicked around the shop. We all have a few tales of prejudice from the "one brain cell imbeciles" in certain situations.

Learning All The Songs

No I did not get battered but yes got my "splt"............eye not lip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I wasn't saying Carney is that type of person, more that he is all Irish when it suits him. I had no problem at all with the real Irish lads and we had a great couple days showing them around SFO.

One of my closest friend is Irish. About 40 years ago my wife and I went Ireland for his wedding. While he and his family are not religious, his wife and her family were just the opposite. We were all lectured about Father Barney the priest and what a wonderful person he was and how everyone in the village loved him. During the ceremony the priest was nasty to the little girl presenting the ring, this resulted in her uncle throwing his coat off and threatening the priest. After he was restrained the rest of the ceremony went OK.
    At the reception my wife and I were on the top table with the Bride, Groom and immediate family. The priest came to join us and told us he disapproved of drinking as he was a lifelong teetotaller and a man of god. That developed into an argument between the Father of the groom and the priest, who was asked to sit elsewhere. Half the room were talking about how wonderful Father Barney was while the other half couldn't stand him. A few years later I got a phone call from my friend, he asked me "do you remember wonderful Father Barney the man of god" I said yes. He then delighted in telling me that he had run off with the wife one of his parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I don`t think Carney is the enemy here, he portrays the game well and has only positive things to say about his life in RL and England.
    As far as stereotypes being cast by Sky, have a look at some of the Rugby AM stuff Goodwin did, he blacked himself up for a skit sketch on JJB and Broughton, then visiting rugby grounds to see who can down their pint the quickest, is that really what we are at ourselves?
    I was dating a Liverpool girl in the mid 80`s, one night out in Liverpool we called to the chippy on the way home where I committed the crime of asking for a "split", there was a row and without some local help I would have been kicked around the shop. We all have a few tales of prejudice from the "one brain cell imbeciles" in certain situations.
    I don't think Carney is the enemy he just annoys me, but at least he can string two sentences together unlike the rest of them on Sky.

Learning All The Songs

I don't get the constant hate on the sky commentators.

They all have passion for the game. I think Carnie is great as a host.
    I think it's just become a thing to moan about commentary. Typical northern moaning mentality. It's getting boring.
    Rather listen to Bill Arthur than that guy with the lisp.

Learning All The Songs

I don't think Carney is the enemy he just annoys me, but at least he can string two sentences together unlike the rest of them on Sky.
    I know you don`t Belgian yourself and Gray are reasoned posters who give thoughtful insight and alternative views to the points on this forum, personally I do not see any problem with Carney`s stance and his reasons given.
    The Lions tour was a perfect example of one dimensional thinking when Bennett did not cap Regan as he was trialing the English team for the World Cup, which dovetails nicely with what eddiewaring was highlighting that meaning can be lost when thousands of miles separate upbringing.
    I feel we have a fantastic board here with wonderful views, it may be time to take it from here and place the onus on authority.
    A handwritten letter to Sky`s top dog mentioning that you are thinking of cancelling due to their treatment of RL, also one to Elstone reference concerns over his inertia and governance. This would certainly elicit a response and if there was 10-100 of these letters it would carry far more weight.
    An email to the complaints department is just that, a handwritten letter to a CEO produces a very different result.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post

I think it's just become a thing to moan about commentary. Typical northern moaning mentality. It's getting boring.
    Fair enough, some do like to moan I agree, but I think the complaints about the Sky coverage are merited. Do the BBC lot get anywhere near as much grief on here despite their team containing Kear, Wilkin, Noble, JJB, Peacock, etc, all Northern? The Challenge Cup coverage, whilst not perfect, is better than the Super League coverage, and it's fair to mention this IMO.

Banned

GC That is like saying I would rather have a thief than a liar. You may be happy with mediocracy and that is your prerogative. Passion for the game eh? I would love to see how many would pay on the gate to watch a game. Angela Powers she was passionate in a St Helens Star junior reporter type way, but on a Daily Mail sub editor pay scale. SKY are killing the game because they own it, and to be honest the game at the top level of governance is and always has been shambolic.

Learning All The Songs

Fair enough, some do like to moan I agree, but I think the complaints about the Sky coverage are merited. Do the BBC lot get anywhere near as much grief on here despite their team containing Kear, Wilkin, Noble, JJB, Peacock, etc, all Northern? The Challenge Cup coverage, whilst not perfect, is better than the Super League coverage, and it's fair to mention this IMO.
    I think if we were to see these lads every week then it would soon be them in the firing line.
    Noble is annoying enough in short doses and Kear sell by date is long gone in my opinion.
    JJB and Wilko should be given a go on Sky and Simmo may make a good commentator as long as he is not portraying the fat northern man in the ill fitting team shirt. Our own Stuart is desperate and Bill Arthur has been and still is making too many mistakes, Ben Proe is good, but Baz, Tez and Clarke are poor now, the latter used to offer good insight but has decided to become the controversial man.
    That could be forgiveable if the commentary was professional it is not since Eddie went, it is a difficult job but we need a good`un quickly.

Banned

One of my closest friend is Irish. About 40 years ago my wife and I went Ireland for his wedding. While he and his family are not religious, his wife and her family were just the opposite. We were all lectured about Father Barney the priest and what a wonderful person he was and how everyone in the village loved him. During the ceremony the priest was nasty to the little girl presenting the ring, this resulted in her uncle throwing his coat off and threatening the priest. After he was restrained the rest of the ceremony went OK.
    At the reception my wife and I were on the top table with the Bride, Groom and immediate family. The priest came to join us and told us he disapproved of drinking as he was a lifelong teetotaller and a man of god. That developed into an argument between the Father of the groom and the priest, who was asked to sit elsewhere. Half the room were talking about how wonderful Father Barney was while the other half couldn't stand him. A few years later I got a phone call from my friend, he asked me "do you remember wonderful Father Barney the man of god" I said yes. He then delighted in telling me that he had run off with the wife one of his parishioners.

That's unusual. Priests would normally go for the pre-pubescent son or daughter.

I feel we have a fantastic board here with wonderful views, it may be time to take it from here and place the onus on authority.
    A handwritten letter to Sky`s top dog mentioning that you are thinking of cancelling due to their treatment of RL, also one to Elstone reference concerns over his inertia and governance. This would certainly elicit a response and if there was 10-100 of these letters it would carry far more weight.
    An email to the complaints department is just that, a handwritten letter to a CEO produces a very different result.
    This goes back to something I said a week or two ago about how RL fans aren't particularly organised. Football clubs all have unofficial fan groups and they punch their weight on certain issues, and on issues that affect the game they can at times band together and be a force for change, or at least stop stuff that owners wish to do.

I have no idea if I'm one of 100 people that follows the game that dislikes how the game is run and how it's covered or if I'm one of 100,000. Redvee is IMO more powerful than we give it credit for, and certainly with our own club we would turn some heads if we did something to raise questions about the way the game is run. All clubs have forums like this, some bigger and some smaller. Imagine if they all wrote a letter with 200 signatures on to their respective clubs, or if 5 or 6 of these forums got together to write a combined letter to Elstone or whoever. This is the kind of thing they'd do in football, but as a sport we have such a passive fanbase. If we didn't there is no way the ridiculous changes we've seen in our game over the last 20 years would have even been attempted.

I know you don`t Belgian yourself and Gray are reasoned posters who give thoughtful insight and alternative views to the points on this forum, personally I do not see any problem with Carney`s stance and his reasons given.
    The Lions tour was a perfect example of one dimensional thinking when Bennett did not cap Regan as he was trialing the English team for the World Cup, which dovetails nicely with what eddiewaring was highlighting that meaning can be lost when thousands of miles separate upbringing.
    I think we all have subjects we like to get on our high horse about now and then ( I was referring to myself)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post

That's a bit of a poor post I'm afraid; you're just trying to apply a broad brush to the well thought out critiques of various people on here by writing them off as some sort fashion without making any counter points of your own..

I'm not exactly sure what a 'northern moaning mentality' (its probably erring on the wrong side of political correctness in these overly sensitive times) but I can tell you what the southern mentality is to SKY RL coverage - they think its hilarious and the sport a joke. And who can blame them? Baz n Tez being becoming a parody of themselves, that ridiculous Try music, commentators who get player names wrong on a regular basis and a WWE presentation that belongs in the last century.

As well as this you then mention you'd 'rather listen to Bill Arthur than that guy with the lisp;' I assume thats Stuart Pyke who is also an RL commentator. Thanks for just adding weight to the argument that the commentary team needs a seismic change!