Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Private equity proposal

Learning All The Songs

In The South Stand

Would be interesting to see what clubs backed it, who didn’t and their reasons why.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

£750k abortive fee payable

I think the most important bit of that article is buried in the last sentence: Sky’s broadcast offer now up to £30m.

Learning All The Songs

Here is my guess

Definitely For Private equity:
    Cas
    Wakey
    HKR
    Salford
    Leigh

Possibly for
    Huddersfield
    Wigan?

Definitely Against:
    Saints
    Wire
    Cats

Possibly against
    Leeds ( never too sure when slippery Gary is involved)
    Hull

Banned

The way it has been explained to me Dux is Elstone was in effect placed in post by SKY. It was they that demanded pulling away from the RFL which I get, and it was instrumental in the removal of Wood. My feelings on SKY are well known, however this is pretty crass. Its almost like going to your employees with a 5% pay cut and saying that is the deal folks. Then the reaction begins and its fight or flight. Then you walk in and say OK after discussions with your union we will keep you on the current rate. The shop floor forget the initial 3% pay rise demand and the union tells them we saved your jobs boys, before walking away with a brown envelope from the business.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think the most important bit of that article is buried in the last sentence: Sky’s broadcast offer now up to £30m.
    Well spotted. However it would be interesting to understand what the new conditions are for that offer - in other words, what has the game conceeded to get SKY to up their bid to £30m

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Well spotted. However it would be interesting to understand what the new conditions are for that offer - in other words, what has the game conceeded to get SKY to up their bid to £30m
    Indeed. Hopefully it's been driven up by some interest from a competitor.

Got A Season Ticket

Well spotted. However it would be interesting to understand what the new conditions are for that offer - in other words, what has the game conceded to get SKY to up their bid to £30m
    I would have thought that the most important bit of that article is actually - Elstone doesn't get backing of the clubs before embarking on a £750,000 capital venture.

How in gods name do you start down the road that has a possible £750k price tag if it doesn't work without agreeing it up front with your stakeholders

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    I would have thought that the most important bit of that article is actually - Elstone doesn't get backing of the clubs before embarking on a £750,000 capital venture.

How in gods name do you start down the road that has a possible £750k price tag if it doesn't work without agreeing it up front with your stakeholders

Yes, it's ludicrous.

Banned

We have to keep Clarke, Carney and the Dickhead Twins.

Aaron Bower had tweeted a piece suggesting the deal is shorter than the initial 20m offer though I've not actually read it.

https://twitter.com/AaronBower/statu...597967873?s=19

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post

Yes we are not the Premier League, £750k is a lot if money given the RFL was strapped for cash not so long ago. One problem with our sport seems to be that there is no-one amongst it with any negotiating skills; Id like to assume the SL clubs knew about a termination fee but surely £750k is way too steep? Who agreed that was ok especially given as you say there was no guarantee if this going ahead?

Its like those that run the sport think everyone who follows RL are some sort of mecca bingo, drink 10 pints at t’ Working Mans club Northern stereotype and won’t notice their complete idiocy.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Yes we are not the Premier League, £750k is a lot if money given the RFL was strapped for cash not so long ago. One problem with our sport seems to be that there is no-one amongst it with any negotiating skills; Id like to assume the SL clubs knew about a termination fee but surely £750k is way too steep? Who agreed that was ok especially given as you say there was no guarantee if this going ahead?

Its like those that run the sport think everyone who follows RL are some sort of mecca bingo, drink 10 pints at t’ Working Mans club Northern stereotype and won’t notice their complete idiocy.
    I know that this was a SL cock up, but your above description really seems to apply to some of the RFL

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Aaron Bower had tweeted a piece suggesting the deal is shorter than the initial 20m offer though I've not actually read it.

https://twitter.com/AaronBower/statu...597967873?s=19
    Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    That's probably a good thing. I've no idea on the length of the contract but a 2 year £30m a year deal would be ideal with the World Cup coming up.

RL needs to put everything into the World Cup and make it a big success. Hopefully the England team can do well too. That could really raise the profile of the sport and put us in the driving seat when we come to negotiating the next TV deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    That's probably a good thing. I've no idea on the length of the contract but a 2 year £30m a year deal would be ideal with the World Cup coming up.

RL needs to put everything into the World Cup and make it a big success. Hopefully the England team can do well too. That could really raise the profile of the sport and put us in the driving seat when we come to negotiating the next TV deal.
    And buy time to:
    1. Build rapport/relationships with other broadcasters.
    2. Investigate the streaming opportunities - another 2 years allows that market to mature a little more.

The sport needs to stop acting as if they need SKY; there are times when they behave like Oliver Twist in the orphanage: 'please sir, can I have some more.' Rugby League needs a media profile and SKY are just one of many in that particular sector. As I've said before SKY's presentation is becoming an embarrassment to the sport and the communities where it is played.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Are Sky doing the World Cup? I think last time it was over here the BBC did it. They did a good job of it but I don't know if some of the games were just shown regionally

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Are Sky doing the World Cup? I think last time it was over here the BBC did it. They did a good job of it but I don't know if some of the games were just shown regionally
    Premier Sports showed quite a few games , it was them who brought Andrew Voss over to commentate .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    BBC has the World Cup, exclusively. According to their press release, at least 16 of the 31 matches will be shown on BBC One or BBC Two, with the remaining fixtures available on Red Button and online.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    BBC has the World Cup, exclusively. According to their press release, at least 16 of the 31 matches will be shown on BBC One or BBC Two, with the remaining fixtures available on Red Button and online.
    That sounds pretty much spot on; get the big games broadcast terrestrially and let viewers decide if they want to tune in for the smaller fish. I don't think it really helps the game if the casual sports fan sees the smaller games not sold out. It would cast a shadow over the perception of the success of the event. I think the organisers have got the venues right this time. They just need to attract good crowds to the venues.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

That sounds pretty much spot on; get the big games broadcast terrestrially and let viewers decide if they want to tune in for the smaller fish. I don't think it really helps the game if the casual sports fan sees the smaller games not sold out. It would cast a shadow over the perception of the success of the event. I think the organisers have got the venues right this time. They just need to attract good crowds to the venues.
    Yep, the Final, Semi Finals, Quarter Finals, England games and half a dozen of the more juicy looking group games that will attract decent crowds (Tonga-PNG, Wales-Tonga etc) on the main channels, and the likes of Lebanon v Jamaica on the red button, etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Yep, the Final, Semi Finals, Quarter Finals, England games and half a dozen of the more juicy looking group games that will attract decent crowds (Tonga-PNG, Wales-Tonga etc) on the main channels, and the likes of Lebanon v Jamaica on the red button, etc.
    The success of the tournament is more critical given the government are looking at curbing the proliferation of gambling advertising in sport.

Banned

And buy time to:
    2. Investigate the streaming opportunities - another 2 years allows that market to mature a little more.

The sport needs to stop acting as if they need SKY; there are times when they behave like Oliver Twist in the orphanage: 'please sir, can I have some more.' Rugby League needs a media profile and SKY are just one of many in that particular sector. As I've said before SKY's presentation is becoming an embarrassment to the sport and the communities where it is played.
    Spot on.

And buy time to:
    Isn't this what Elstone was appointed to do 2/3 years ago ?

I appreciated he has had a lot on his plate with pizzas and alike.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Spot on.
    The problem is the people who run the sport or who head up the SL teams seem oblivious to the fact that the presentation of their sport by SKY is abysmal. I bet if you asked Eamonn he'd probably think people still thought that ridiculous try music was dead cool, Baz n' Tez were funny and Bill Arthur was RL's Bill McClaren.

There can't be a sport that is so out of touch with its supporters in this regard. For a sport that prides itself on 'community' that is shameful, moreso as the TV deals for our sport have much wider ramifications than money alone. You only need to look at how the Challenge Cup has been debased and the messing about with the League format durings SKY's tenure of broadcasting rights to understand that.

The rub here is that surely something has to give. As Gray77 has said before it's likely SKY sees RL as cheap little placeholder that it can use to fill quiet slots in the schedule whilst holding a stable (but captive) audience amongst the games supporters who have been steadfastly loyal. If this is true, surely the fact that more of us bemoan their woeful coverage that belongs in 1991 not 2021 is a threat. I'm seriously thinking of jibbing SKY off and I wouldn't be surprised if others are.

At the same token, the current presentation is unlikely to attract new followers, especially those outside the 'core areas.' Whils Stevo was allowed to carry on for about 5-10 years too long many mates from the SW found SKY's coverage risible to say the least and their cheap hyperbole something that should accompany WWE not a serious, self respecting sport.

I totally despair that Elstone and Rimmer through to Lenagan, McManus don't seem to articulate a better vision of how our sport should be presented more appropriately. At the moment its declining to Eddie Waring like commentary in the 70's.