Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Back to it today

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Wasn’t Albert’s broken cheekbone a complete accident though? Didn’t he cop Dallas’ heel flush on the cheekbone as Albert tried to tackle him? I thought it was Long and Gilly that round headed thug Newton did on purpose.
    It always baffles me when Saints fans refer to Newton as a thug, for breaking Longy`s cheekbone.
    Newton did Long on the pitch, illegally yes, but at least it was to another man in what is rightfully regarded one of the the toughest team sports.
    Long broke a young girl`s jaw on the street.
    Which one of them offences is worthy the title thug ?

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Good news from Mark Percival now training hard and determined to get back to his best.
    Given he was out for pretty much the season, add him and the new signings to the fold and we'll be easily in the mix for a back to back to back.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    It always baffles me when Saints fans refer to Newton as a thug, for breaking Longy`s cheekbone.
    Newton did Long on the pitch, illegally yes, but at least it was to another man in what is rightfully regarded one of the the toughest team sports.
    Long broke a young girl`s jaw on the street.
    Which one of them offences is worthy the title thug ?
    Both.

I don't recall seeing anyone defending Long for his attack? I don't follow the logic that because Long has done something terrible that it's fair game for him to be attacked or for it not to be considered an act of thuggery because worse things have been done. Or that because a man is attacked it isn't as bad.

It's like saying that Ben Flower's attack on Lance Hohaia wasn't that bad because somewhere, someone has beaten another person into a coma or worse.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Given he was out for pretty much the season, add him and the new signings to the fold and we'll be easily in the mix for a back to back to back.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    I was thinking that, he'll be like a new signing. I just hope his hamstring is right.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Good news from Mark Percival now training hard and determined to get back to his best.
    Just Listened to the Shaun Wane interview. He said he has spoken with Percy and told him he is currently in the starting line up, just up to him to go out and do it this year. A very good interview by the way. I don't know what Wane's tactics will be like, but he comes across as a great communicator to the players. When you listen to the level of contact he has, and the detail he goes into with each individual, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Bennett did not do the same.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Just Listened to the Shaun Wane interview. He said he has spoken with Percy and told him he is currently in the starting line up, just up to him to go out and do it this year. A very good interview by the way. I don't know what Wane's tactics will be like, but he comes across as a great communicator to the players. When you listen to the level of contact he has, and the detail he goes into with each individual, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Bennett did not do the same.
    The biggest difference will be the players will know that Wane will go berserk if they don't play 100% and lose to the Aussies, Bennett on the other hand would be more Blah about it.

The biggest difference will be the players will know that Wane will go berserk if they don't play 100% and lose to the Aussies, Bennett on the other hand would be more Blah about it.
    What's the logic behind that thinking? And more so, where is the evidence to back up a statement like that?
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    What's the logic behind that thinking? And more so, where is the evidence to back up a statement like that?
    Are you a bit simple?

Learning All The Songs

You did watch the Lions tour didnt you? Thats all the evidence you need, Bennett was that disinterested he picked a half back to play on the wing.

You should be interviewing politicians instead of wasting your time on here.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

His attitude to the Lions tour was appalling really. He treated it as a warm up tour of little consequence when it was in fact a huge tour in trying to rebuild something important in our game. He was quoted saying "We've had three world-class teams in the national field and what's the biggest losing margin? Eight or 10 points?" about a week after the Lions lost 23-8 to NZ in the second test. Either his memory was bad or he didn't even regard that 15 point loss as a proper game.

His lack of respect for the Lions brand and that tour came from his total lack of engagement with British RL and its history, and this was further shown by him coaching in the NRL at the same time and spending zero time here during our season watching players. It was a job to him, not a passion, and whilst I'm sure he wanted to win a World Cup I doubt he considered it his most important role. He lived in Australia, he was coaching in the NRL, he was surrounded by Australian players and treated England and GB as an end of season job. No way was it his passion, and I'm not even arguing it should have been. He was the wrong appointment, and I blame the RFL more than I blame him.

His PR around the England team or Lions team has been shocking, always comes across as though the England team especially the UK based ones is liking having dog poo on his shoe.

In The South Stand

The bizarre, likely one-off return, of GB a year out from the first Australia Tour in a long time and two out from the World Cup was ridiculous and a bit of a farce and that set the tone for the whole tour. But then again Rugby League is farcical at times.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    Both.

I don't recall seeing anyone defending Long for his attack? I don't follow the logic that because Long has done something terrible that it's fair game for him to be attacked or for it not to be considered an act of thuggery because worse things have been done. Or that because a man is attacked it isn't as bad.

It's like saying that Ben Flower's attack on Lance Hohaia wasn't that bad because somewhere, someone has beaten another person into a coma or worse.
    No logic to follow RV12, I have never heard anyone hang the label thug on Long, yet a few on here label Newton as "that thug Newton".
    If you think breaking an innocent girl`s jaw on the street is the same as a high shot breaking an RL players cheekbone then if that is your opinion you are entitled to it, I cannot agree with you but again that is only my opinion.
    Never mentioned Ben Flower or Lance Hohaia, I don`t think that has relevance in this instance but again only my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    No logic to follow RV12, I have never heard anyone hang the label thug on Long, yet a few on here label Newton as "that thug Newton".
    If you think breaking an innocent girl`s jaw on the street is the same as a high shot breaking an RL players cheekbone then if that is your opinion you are entitled to it, I cannot agree with you but again that is only my opinion.
    Never mentioned Ben Flower or Lance Hohaia, I don`t think that has relevance in this instance but again only my view.
    Long was wrong and no doubt about it. But with Newton, being a thug was endemic. You are quoting one instance of unacceptable behaviour from Long to something that Newton did throughout his career.

Starting A Programme Collection

Long was wrong and no doubt about it. But with Newton, being a thug was endemic. You are quoting one instance of unacceptable behaviour from Long to something that Newton did throughout his career.
    Certainly agree with you 're Newton, but there are certainly more instances of unacceptable behaviour by Long, you only need to either hear or read what the likes of Adrian Morley or Peacock think of him by his drunken antics in Australia basically letting all his team mates down,and being sent home on the spurious grounds of homesickness he did wonderful things at Saints but I've always thought that McManus was persuaded against his better judgement to give him another chance again at coaching, he's hardly covered himself with glory in any club he's been at as assistant coach in either union or league, and always got itchy feet and left probably before being " released"

Learning All The Songs

No Belgian, I am saying Long never gets called a thug for breaking a girl`s jaw, Newton does for doing what he did on the pitch.
    Long had more than one unacceptable misdemeanor throughout his career but is hardly ever called out for them, others do comparatively less yet get vilified.
    I find that part baffling but Saints speccies will put that aside because of his stellar career with us, remember what Barba was called on here when his actions in Aus were made public, any man who hits a woman should never be allowed at Saints etc.. Longy was a coach then, baffling and double standards to say the very least. Still it is just my opinion.

Banned

Few more picks.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Mata'utia looks a big fella, wouldn't at all surprise me if he did the odd stint in the middle aswell as his preferred back row also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

On the training video, looks as though he has pretty good leg speed and acceleration.

Banned

He looks in good shape considering he’s only just come over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    He looks in good shape considering he’s only just come over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He certainly does. He's bigger than I thought.

Something tells me we'll be going to be running through teams rather than running round them.

Thompson's attitude is absolutely spot on, like a breath of fresh air!

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...ack-australia/

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Thompson's attitude is absolutely spot on, like a breath of fresh air!

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...ack-australia/
    He's certainly saying the right things let's hope he's as committed when the season starts, I get the impression he's true professional and will be 100% when the hard work starts.

Welcome Joel.

In The South Stand

I'm looking forward to seeing our new overseas recruits play,i think they will all add something to the team.