Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Back to it today

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Yeah he looked like he could go sub 11 always looked at ease, Radlinski got back to him in that CC final though when nobody ahead of him, probably did not have the acceleration that some have off the mark but no doubting his top end speed.
    Radlinski was inspired in that game, god knows what drugs they pumped him full of.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Shame that his career ended with us the way it did. As you say a fine player. Was also a very good full back when needed.
    Don't remember anything controversial about him leaving. I thought it was just the end of his contract? Refresh my memory.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I agree as above Dux maybe lacked the blistering pace off the mark and evasiveness of Regan, but he had it over the course and could tackle.
    As SaintJon says played fullback in the final when Wello went off injured and we did not look out of shape.
    No opta ratings yet for who hit the highest speeds this year, Regan topped it last time it would be nice to know if he managed it again.
    They were released. Only takes top speed at one particular moment though so as you can see by this list it’s a little irrelevant. If you raced those 10 players over 10 different distances you’d get 10 completely different sets of results.
    1. Matty Ashton
    2. Ash Handley
    3. Louis Senior
    4. Jake Bibby!!!
    5. Josh Charnley
    6. REGAN GRACE
    7. Niall Evalds
    8. Joe Burgess
    9. Jake Wardle
    10. Bevan French

Going on the point about Albert he may not have been lightning off the mark but when he got up to top speed he absolutely flew. The amount of times you’d see the opposition break the line looking nailed on to score and Albert would just come flying across out of nowhere. It’s such a shame we only got one season of Albert and Lyon together.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    They were released. Only takes top speed at one particular moment though so as you can see by this list it’s a little irrelevant. If you raced those 10 players over 10 different distances you’d get 10 completely different sets of results.
    1. Matty Ashton
    2. Ash Handley
    3. Louis Senior
    4. Jake Bibby!!!
    5. Josh Charnley
    6. REGAN GRACE
    7. Niall Evalds
    8. Joe Burgess
    9. Jake Wardle
    10. Bevan French

Going on the point about Albert he may not have been lightning off the mark but when he got up to top speed he absolutely flew. The amount of times you’d see the opposition break the line looking nailed on to score and Albert would just come flying across out of nowhere. It’s such a shame we only got one season of Albert and Lyon together.
    I'm not having that.

Learning All The Songs

1. Matty Ashton
    2. Ash Handley
    3. Louis Senior
    4. Jake Bibby!!!
    5. Josh Charnley
    6. REGAN GRACE
    7. Niall Evalds
    8. Joe Burgess
    9. Jake Wardle
    10. Bevan French

Yes the readings can be misleading and I agree with the 10 different scenarios. I think Daryl Clark won it a few years back topping out on a cover tackle. Matty Ashton and Louis Senior once up to speed would be difficult to reel in with their long strides as per Senior`s try when Grace did not make an impression on him.
    Very surprised Warrington have not made a big deal having two in the top ten, last time when the above mentioned Clark had the highest of the season Ade Gardner was comparing him to Premiere footballers who were all slower on their stats, PR machine is slacking in Wire.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Radlinski was inspired in that game, god knows what drugs they pumped him full of.
    Yes I often wondered that, would he had failed a post match drug test if he was on a transfusion with a cocktail of drugs with "speed"!!!

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Don't remember anything controversial about him leaving. I thought it was just the end of his contract? Refresh my memory.
    Nothing controversial at all, I was referring to the broken cheekbone he got at Wigan.

Nothing controversial at all, I was referring to the broken cheekbone he got at Wigan.
    Thanks. I had forgotten anything about that.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Thanks. I had forgotten anything about that.
    Another big reason that we didn't make the GF IMO, Hardman was steady but no Albert.

Yes the readings can be misleading and I agree with the 10 different scenarios. I think Daryl Clark won it a few years back topping out on a cover tackle. Matty Ashton and Louis Senior once up to speed would be difficult to reel in with their long strides as per Senior`s try when Grace did not make an impression on him.
    Very surprised Warrington have not made a big deal having two in the top ten, last time when the above mentioned Clark had the highest of the season Ade Gardner was comparing him to Premiere footballers who were all slower on their stats, PR machine is slacking in Wire.
    I’d back Grace to be about fastest over 40/50m but probably not in the top 5 over 100m. The thing that is arguably more important is the ability to change direction or step whilst maintaining top speed and that’s something Grace has improving on massively over the past 18 months or so.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Most people talk about Radlinskis tackle on Albert in the 2002 final at Murrayfield but I think the one he made at Cardiff in 2004 was actually better as he caught Albert. I remember David Grindley the England 400 metre runner saying that Rads could easily have made a top class athlete. I think they both shared the same sprint coach.

Banned

Was that the youth athletics coach? God he was fast was Rads and his wife was fast with a hoover in Whelan's empire before he dropped you.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Was that the youth athletics coach? God he was fast was Rads and his wife was fast with a hoover in Whelan's empire before he dropped you.
    Great athlete and player was Radlinski and a really decent man. It was just a pity he was treated like shyte by that bully Millward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Great athlete and player was Radlinski and a really decent man. It was just a pity he was treated like shyte by that bully Millward.
    Thought you Wiganers didn't take a backward step.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Has you know I am still in contact with Ian, you call him a bully he knows your a "lets do a Countdown _er_ert ! You are a bully, you have just obviously been a bit soft all your life so the keyboard has been a saviour a bit like trump a media bully. Ian is in your face, love him or loathe him, at least he is a proper man.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Has you know I am still in contact with Ian, you call him a bully he knows your a "lets do a Countdown _er_ert ! You are a bully, you have just obviously been a bit soft all your life so the keyboard has been a saviour a bit like trump a media bully. Ian is in your face, love him or loathe him, at least he is a proper man.
    Tell him he still owes me a bottle of wine.

(He didn't bully me for it).

Banned

Good stuff Dave. A very gregarious lad Basil, could be the best company in the world then switch on a sixpence. Fantastic St Helens and Leigh coach. Perhaps the best thing that ever happened to Eamon and Saints we pretended to sack him. Whelan and Lindsay fell under the spell of Basil, he took a hell of a wedge from them and made Wigan morally a far better club. Their sins found them out, on the gates of ORAL.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I’d back Grace to be about fastest over 40/50m but probably not in the top 5 over 100m. The thing that is arguably more important is the ability to change direction or step whilst maintaining top speed and that’s something Grace has improving on massively over the past 18 months or so.
    You tend to find more with modern players that their pace is measured over shorter distances. Put a lot of modern wingers into a gap in their own half of the field and they will often get caught. It was a huge problem Saints had in the early Langtree Park era that we'd have players who could make breaks and motor for a while, but then they'd run out of puff and somebody previously ambling in their path would catch them up.

Contrast this to wingers of the past such as Alan Hunte, Darren Albert and Anthony Sullivan, who would start slower and accelerate to breakneck speed. Hunte and Sullivan would often be running that fast eighty metres later that I often feared they might not be able to stop before the concrete wall.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Mata’utia on his way now, bringing the whole family over at once it looks like. Don’t know whether he’ll have to isolate on arrival or whether a negative Covid test will suffice but be good to have him here and settling in.

Banned

Mata’utia on his way now, bringing the whole family over at once it looks like. Don’t know whether he’ll have to isolate on arrival or whether a negative Covid test will suffice but be good to have him here and settling in.
    They've put the season start back 2 weeks so no rush for him. At least the worst of the weather should be over by then.

Paasi doesn't look as fit as the others at the moment, seems to be puffing + blowing a bit, probably needs the warm sun on their backs for our new imports.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Paasi doesn't look as fit as the others at the moment, seems to be puffing + blowing a bit, probably needs the warm sun on their backs for our new imports.
    Probably takes him a bit longer to get some fitness the size off him. I can't imagine it's much fun for those lads training in this weather, I was on Taylor Park hill yesterday and it was bloody freezing wearing a big coat.

Good news from Mark Percival now training hard and determined to get back to his best.

In The South Stand

Wasn’t Albert’s broken cheekbone a complete accident though? Didn’t he cop Dallas’ heel flush on the cheekbone as Albert tried to tackle him? I thought it was Long and Gilly that round headed thug Newton did on purpose.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club