Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Celebrity Fan?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Noooobie

Question Celebrity Fan?

My favourite band of all time is The Grateful Dead (a US West Coast band, 1965-95). The other day I was reading the Saints entry on Wikipedia and came to the 'Celebrity Fans' section. I was amazed to see the name Phil Lesh listed, described correctly as 'Bass player with the Grateful Dead'. I couldn't believe it - my favourite band had a connection to Saints!

Does anyone know anything about this? It's difficult to see why there should be a connection. I think the nearest The Dead got to Knowsley Rd would be an appearance at the Bickershaw Festival in 1972, but there must be something else.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughyedSaint View Post
    My favourite band of all time is The Grateful Dead (a US West Coast band, 1965-95). The other day I was reading the Saints entry on Wikipedia and came to the 'Celebrity Fans' section. I was amazed to see the name Phil Lesh listed, described correctly as 'Bass player with the Grateful Dead'. I couldn't believe it - my favourite band had a connection to Saints!

Does anyone know anything about this? It's difficult to see why there should be a connection. I think the nearest The Dead got to Knowsley Rd would be an appearance at the Bickershaw Festival in 1972, but there must be something else.
    I used to like The Byrds in the 60's didn't Roger McGuinn and another of the Byrds go in the Grateful Dead. Just looked him up and no he didn't but he was into the California Folk Scene.
    Last edited by Greengrass; 3rd January 2021 at 16:48.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Gerry Garcia on pedal steel. It's a difficult instrument to play as I well know. ten strings, three pedals and four knee levers. I've still got mine along with my Peavey amp, an 1982 Ovation and a 70's Custom telecaster, a 12 string and a couple more lower end acoustics, including a beautiful Gibson Hummingbird copy.
    I play very rarely now bit my son does a bit of playing and singing.
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 3rd January 2021 at 17:47.

Banned

Did you ever duet with Rubber Duckie on Banjo?

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Gerry Garcia on pedal steel. It's a difficult instrument to play as I well know. ten strings, three pedals and four knee levers. I've still got mine along with my Peavey amp, an 1982 Ovation and a 70's Custom telecaster, a 12 string and a couple more lower end acoustics, including a beautiful Gibson Hummingbird copy.
    I play very rarely now bit my son does a bit of playing and singing.
    Nice collection of guitars there, RG, I like the sound of that Custom Tele. As you say, the pedal steel is notoriously tricky to play well. I've played guitar for 50+ years, and still have a Gibson ES-335 Custom Shop, and a cheap Strat, plus a Fender Concert amp. Used to play in bands, and still have quick burst from time to time. My son has totally outstripped me in terms of playing prowess (wasn't too difficult).

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Nice collection of guitars there, RG, I like the sound of that Custom Tele. As you say, the pedal steel is notoriously tricky to play well. I've played guitar for 50+ years, and still have a Gibson ES-335 Custom Shop, and a cheap Strat, plus a Fender Concert amp. Used to play in bands, and still have quick burst from time to time. My son has totally outstripped me in terms of playing prowess (wasn't too difficult).
    it's worse than that. I had an early 60's strat, but when we got got married in 1968 it had to go, needed the money. It would be worth a fortune now, I remind her about it every now and then.

Noooobie

it's worse than that. I had an early 60's strat, but when we got got married in 1968 it had to go, needed the money. It would be worth a fortune now, I remind her about it every now and then.
    Awww no - the pre-CBS Strats fetch big money these days! But if you're still married to her 50 years later, perhaps it was a good deal.

Noooobie

Probably no coincidence whatsoever but I was at one of the last Greatful Dead shows in 1993 or 1994 just before he died. I was working in USA at the time and friends took me. Just remember lots of Pot and the show only starting around midnight and ended when the sun came up!

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by hookman2007 View Post
    Probably no coincidence whatsoever but I was at one of the last Greatful Dead shows in 1993 or 1994 just before he died. I was working in USA at the time and friends took me. Just remember lots of Pot and the show only starting around midnight and ended when the sun came up!

That show you went to sounds like one of their famous new year's eve shows in San Francisco that started on the chimes of midnight and ended with breakfast being served to everyone - but I've checked on Dead.net and they didn't play on NYE in those years. If you're interested in hearing again the show you saw, you might find it in the G Dead section at Archive.org - they host thousands of recordings of many of their shows.

Wish i'd seen them!

Learning All The Songs

This may or may not be true of this instance, a lot of US musicians came from middle class backgrounds where music was encouraged and whose parents were in the forces. Burtonwood Air Base would have been a posting for some of these men and their families. Maybe a love of RL came from these days.
    I know another "green shoot" of this was boxing, lots of champion boxers and trainers were stationed there, they often had shows with clubs from the area invited. Very few took this opportunity with only a few astute coaches adopting the "truth" American style but being drowned by the English way of give one take one stand up tough style.
    The Mersey and Manchester clubs were well supported from Ireland, on the weekend ferry trips over a small number of Irish boxing coaches used to make this journey every six weeks with the soccer fans, they used to attend these boxing seminars and shows.
    These men Brendan Ingle, Austin Carruth and Frankie Kerr went on to great success with Amateur lads, Austin`s son Michael winning Olympic gold, Frankie (his son Brian coached the Irish International soccer team a few years back) was head trainer at Trinity College Dublin which boasted title holders that were as diverse as Dr`s and poets in that bastion of education. Brendan Ingle`s gym in Sheffield enough said. These young trainers took the invites from the Americans and were visionaries for their sports, if only a few passionate trainers bucked the trend in our sport and started teaching ball skills over power !!

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I was at the Bickershaw Festival, Grateful Dead, Hawkwind, Wishbone Ash, Captain Beefheart, Donavan, The Kinks and the Incredible String Band. It ••••••ed it down for the whole weekend and there were some strange sights
    Got home Sunday afternoon, went to the Stork in Billinge and slept all of Monday. Fun times, I couldn't do it now.

Citrus/cliterous I don't play second fidlle to anyone and certainly not to you or the Duckie.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

If anyone had any doubts about whether Saints released the new kit too early, I think they have now been answered...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    If anyone had any doubts about whether Saints released the new kit too early, I think they have now been answered...
    I'll be honest, I've no idea what all this is about. Some old bands, most of which I've never heard of.

I met Danni Minogue once. Safe to say it didn't upset me too much.

Banned

I was at the Bickershaw Festival, Grateful Dead, Hawkwind, Wishbone Ash, Captain Beefheart, Donavan, The Kinks and the Incredible String Band. It ••••••ed it down for the whole weekend and there were some strange sights
    Got home Sunday afternoon, went to the Stork in Billinge and slept all of Monday. Fun times, I couldn't do it now.

Citrus/cliterous I don't play second fidlle to anyone and certainly not to you or the Duckie.
    You will always be second fiddle to every member of this board. Your twilight years have been ruined by Benjamin Flower and a 19 year old. A bit old for your narrative but he will do for us!

I was at the Bickershaw Festival, Grateful Dead, Hawkwind, Wishbone Ash, Captain Beefheart, Donavan, The Kinks and the Incredible String Band.
    I may not always agree with you, but I will defend your right to listen to excellent music.

Noooobie

It still pains me to think I missed seeing them at Bickershaw - I was a fan of theirs back then, and in the end I never saw them live. Great line up of bands too. The only reason I can think of why I didn't go is that it was too close to Wigan.

It still pains me to think I missed seeing them at Bickershaw - I was a fan of theirs back then, and in the end I never saw them live. Great line up of bands too. The only reason I can think of why I didn't go is that it was too close to Wigan.
    well it did throw it down every day, possibly as a game for a laugh style prank by festival organiser jeremy beadle!