Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: New Years Honours

  1. #1
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    0

    Default New Years Honours

    Whilst we would all agree with the MBE given to Rob Burrow were in gods name did they manage to find something tangible to award Brian Barwick with an OBE for services to sport and broadcasting???

  2. #2
    Learning All The Songs barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ashton in Makerfield
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    Whilst we would all agree with the MBE given to Rob Burrow were in gods name did they manage to find something tangible to award Brian Barwick with an OBE for services to sport and broadcasting???
    Probably for his work with the FA.

    Congrats to Rob, I'm not a fan of these awards but I am sure it means the world to him and his family which is all that matters. It is inspirational to see how bravely he is battling this awful disease. True legend.

    Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I don’t think that his work with the National League is anything to shout about...
    “During the following season, 10m substantial funding was obtained to allow the continuance of football during the Covid-19 pandemic which according to some clubs, was distributed unfairly. Following complaints the National League Board, under the chairmanship of Brian Barwick agreed to appoint an independent panel to review the distribution. The panel reported to the Board, who seemingly ignored its recommendations, leading to a significant public rebuke to the Board“

  4. #4
    Learning All The Songs barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ashton in Makerfield
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    I dont think that his work with the National League is anything to shout about...
    During the following season, 10m substantial funding was obtained to allow the continuance of football during the Covid-19 pandemic which according to some clubs, was distributed unfairly. Following complaints the National League Board, under the chairmanship of Brian Barwick agreed to appoint an independent panel to review the distribution. The panel reported to the Board, who seemingly ignored its recommendations, leading to a significant public rebuke to the Board
    He was Chairman of the FA in the mid 2000s. He was also ITV's chief of sport in the late 90s and a senior sport Editor with the BBC prior to that.

    Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,650
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    He was Chairman of the FA in the mid 2000s. He was also ITV's chief of sport in the late 90s and a senior sport Editor with the BBC prior to that.

    Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    I don't know why someone gets an award for doing their job.

  6. #6
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,098
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    Whilst we would all agree with the MBE given to Rob Burrow were in gods name did they manage to find something tangible to award Brian Barwick with an OBE for services to sport and broadcasting???
    Because they filled in the nomination form?
    Anyone can nominate someone for an award. Obviously there's a vetting process, but if a strong enough case is given, then so is an award.

  7. #7
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    5,045
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Because they filled in the nomination form?
    Anyone can nominate someone for an award. Obviously there's a vetting process, but if a strong enough case is given, then so is an award.

    Think he filled in the nomintation form incorrectly it should have been a DSA nomination for services to Rugby League..........Done Sod All.

  8. #8
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,701
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    Whilst we would all agree with the MBE given to Rob Burrow were in gods name did they manage to find something tangible to award Brian Barwick with an OBE for services to sport and broadcasting???
    It was his (infamous) black book of contacts....

  9. #9
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I'm sure I've ran into to Barwick somewhere on my travels, he looks like he stinks.

  10. #10
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    1,826
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Can anyone tell me if Kevin Sinfield received anything in the New Year's Honours?

  11. #11
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,098
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prez View Post
    can anyone tell me if kevin sinfield received anything in the new year's honours?
    mbe

  12. #12
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    1,826
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    mbe
    Thanks mate. Fully deserved, wasn't that in 2014 though? I thought he might have been awarded something after his efforts re the MND campaign?

  13. #13
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    435
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm sure I've ran into to Barwick somewhere on my travels, he looks like he stinks.
    Yes and the Exeter RU honours stink too - successive GF wins and nothing for our team / hierarchy!!

  14. #14
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,098
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Thanks mate. Fully deserved, wasn't that in 2014 though? I thought he might have been awarded something after his efforts re the MND campaign?
    Yes, you're right. I just assumed it was for this year, and his charity work. I guess he's only just done the 7 marathon thing, so he could get something else in the Birthday honours list...Assuming someone nominates him!

  15. #15
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    Yes and the Exeter RU honours stink too - successive GF wins and nothing for our team / hierarchy!!
    What's Exeter RU got to do with us?

  16. #16
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,650
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    What's Exeter RU got to do with us?
    I think the point is that the Exeter captain got it after two GF wins and Roby didn't.

  17. #17
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,098
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think the point is that the Exeter captain got it after two GF wins and Roby didn't.
    Perhaps no one nominated Roby?

  18. #18
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,650
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Perhaps no one nominated Roby?
    Perhaps two premierships means more to Exeter than it does to us, after us winning so many.

  19. #19
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,098
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Perhaps two premierships means more to Exeter than it does to us, after us winning so many.
    Yes. I guess it's just normal service resumed for us.

  20. #20
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,736
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Can anyone tell me if Kevin Sinfield received anything in the New Year's Honours?
    I dont really like the honours system but its clear that Rob Burrow and his family appreciate it and so Im pleased for them. It also keeps MND in the public eye, which is a bonus.

    As for Kevin Sinfield, I like to think that hes motivated by love (in a manly sort of way) for somebody hes known since he was a kid and who hes been close to as a friend and teammate. Millions of people appreciate what he did with or without a gong. I think hes a star.

  21. #21
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,650
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I don’t really like the honours system but it’s clear that Rob Burrow and his family appreciate it and so I’m pleased for them. It also keeps MND in the public eye, which is a bonus.

    As for Kevin Sinfield, I like to think that he’s motivated by love (in a manly sort of way) for somebody he’s known since he was a kid and who he’s been close to as a friend and teammate. Millions of people appreciate what he did with or without a gong. I think he’s a star.
    I think Sinfield has deservedly gone up in standing with a lot of people.

  22. #22
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,397
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Perhaps no one nominated Roby?

    Or perhaps Roby has turned one down.

    I would.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  23. #23
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I dont really like the honours system but its clear that Rob Burrow and his family appreciate it and so Im pleased for them. It also keeps MND in the public eye, which is a bonus.

    As for Kevin Sinfield, I like to think that hes motivated by love (in a manly sort of way) for somebody hes known since he was a kid and who hes been close to as a friend and teammate. Millions of people appreciate what he did with or without a gong. I think hes a star.
    Well said. I had a lot of respect for Sinfield as a player and captain after what they did to us over so many years, but he is showing what an absolute legend he is as a person and a friend. What an incredible role model he is to young people

  24. #24
    Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,461
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJose View Post
    Well said. I had a lot of respect for Sinfield as a player and captain after what they did to us over so many years, but he is showing what an absolute legend he is as a person and a friend. What an incredible role model he is to young people
    I agree, and the great thing is that Burrow and Sinfield are raising awareness nationwide thanks to the BBC featuring the story heavily on their news bulletins.
    I live in a non-rugby League area now and both my kids have come home from school saying they had had assemblies and lessons on the story. In my daughter's high school they had a full lesson on friendship, where they were shown part of the documentary on Rob and then what Sinfield had done to support him.
    The pair of them have unwittingly done more to promote the image of Rugby League over the last 12 months than the idiots who run it have over the last 50 years.

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think the point is that the Exeter captain got it after two GF wins and Roby didn't.
    Ah right, I have no idea who their captain is or that they'd won back to back finals. But considering RU is part of the establishment it's hardly surprising.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •