Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merry Christmas

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    I don't think any right minded person could stomach Liverpool winning anything more, they are like Wigan on Speed. If the tea lady slips on some Nivea it makes the national news, sick and tired of hearing of them winning something the mighty Blackburn Rovers and Leicester City won years before them.

Back to the theme of the thread now they have found their way into trying to be more important than Saints, Merry Christmas to Saints everywhere !
    Who is still missing the Boxing Day match, always a highlight of Christmas, just been reading on the Star website that at one time Saints played on the 25th 26th and 27th December and 1st and 3rd January, five matches in ten days! Remember the days of braziers on the pitch on the Popular side and the players of both sides going round with buckets at half time to collect for whoever's testimonial match it was. The rivalry was still there but perhaps not the animosity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Who is still missing the Boxing Day match, always a highlight of Christmas, just been reading on the Star website that at one time Saints played on the 25th 26th and 27th December and 1st and 3rd January, five matches in ten days! Remember the days of braziers on the pitch on the Popular side and the players of both sides going round with buckets at half time to collect for whoever's testimonial match it was. The rivalry was still there but perhaps not the animosity.
    Not really to be honest, I wouldn't enjoy Christmas day the same these days. As it is, I've got my feet up, football on, bets on, a brew and my hangover subsiding. Winner, winner chicken dinner IMO.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I'm not on favour of Boxing day friendlies but I fancy the idea of starting the season on Boxing Day with the traditional derby matches.

I know it couldn't apply this year but (if normal times ever return) for example the season ended in September instead of the usual October and then restarted today a Saints v Wigan game would be a sell out.

I know there would be the possibility of postponements due to weather but it can just as easy snow in Feb or March as it can in January.

Majority of people would be off work, kids would be off school and desperate for a chance to wear the kits they got for Christmas. The hospitality facilities would be popular with firms using them as a seasonal perk for staff or customers.

I think commercially Super League is missing a golden opportunity.

The players may not be keen but its what they're paid for

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I'm not on favour of Boxing day friendlies but I fancy the idea of starting the season on Boxing Day with the traditional derby matches.

I know it couldn't apply this year but (if normal times ever return) for example the season ended in September instead of the usual October and then restarted today a Saints v Wigan game would be a sell out.

I know there would be the possibility of postponements due to weather but it can just as easy snow in Feb or March as it can in January.

Majority of people would be off work, kids would be off school and desperate for a chance to wear the kits they got for Christmas. The hospitality facilities would be popular with firms using them as a seasonal perk for staff or customers.

I think commercially Super League is missing a golden opportunity.

The players may not be keen but its what they're paid for
    The only thing against that are the two months of wet and miserable Friday night's trying to keep warm in the North Stand, after that! completely agree with you 're friendlies, sadly the days I refer to will never come back, the players haven't even started training yet, but I like to reminisce about those games probably through rose coloured glasses or red and white ones, now it's back to red and white wine instead

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

The only thing against that are the two months of wet and miserable Friday night's trying to keep warm in the North Stand, after that! completely agree with you 're friendlies, sadly the days I refer to will never come back, the players haven't even started training yet, but I like to reminisce about those games probably through rose coloured glasses or red and white ones, now it's back to red and white wine instead
    If softie southerners can manage to watch boring football on January and February evenings I'm sure us People from The North can manage a rugby match anyway it's a good excuse for a drop of whisky when you get home

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    If softie southerners can manage to watch boring football on January and February evenings I'm sure us People from The North can manage a rugby match anyway it's a good excuse for a drop of whisky when you get home
    Fair point......its just me whose gone soft

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I will always miss it, I'd love to start the season on Boxing Day. I understand the people who say they like sitting in watching the football on Boxing Day as I now do it myself but that has only happened for the majority of RL fans as now we have no choice. I wouldn't bother with friendlies and I don't think it'll happen anyway.
    We need to add more value to a league match and the Grand Final won't be going anywhere, should we just have 1st v 2nd at Old Trafford? You'd be guaranteed a tough game between the best two sides especially with play off attendances low in past few years (not including this year)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I will always miss it, I'd love to start the season on Boxing Day. I understand the people who say they like sitting in watching the football on Boxing Day as I now do it myself but that has only happened for the majority of RL fans as now we have no choice. I wouldn't bother with friendlies and I don't think it'll happen anyway.
    We need to add more value to a league match and the Grand Final won't be going anywhere, should we just have 1st v 2nd at Old Trafford? You'd be guaranteed a tough game between the best two sides especially with play off attendances low in past few years (not including this year)
    I can go with that to be fair. Both points about starting the season and the GF being 1st V 2nd. If we started the season today and finished earlier that would be ok with me, we'd still get the full football off season either way. As far as scrapping play off games, that's fine with me too, they're nonsense anyway, ok it occasionally throws up a surprise but not very often. What I would do though is have every club playing from the first round of the cup, giving small clubs the chance of a decent payday by playing a big club and a potential giant kill but also exposing promising young players to higher standard opposition and giving fringe players the chance of playing meaningful games. The thing is though, it needs to be brought in, and say this is how it's going to be for 10 years to allow everyone to adapt instead of ••••ing about every 5 minutes.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Always loved all the Bank Holiday games but Boxing Day was a bit special. I think that was because of the whole atmosphere over Xmas and NY. I wouldn't bother going to a friendly on Boxing Day. I don't remember Braziers at KR but I remember them at Cas. I must have been about 12 and there was a special train from the junction. What I remember most about the braziers was all the women with bags of washing drying them while the game was in progress.