Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Congratulations Leigh

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Budgiezilla if you know anyone with any say in the Leigh club have a word with them about getting some young Leigh lads in to start an Academy because i know it is really a town that is mad on Rugby League but Leigh lads keep going elsewhere , without Academy teams you and any team will strugle , get your own lads in.
    Totally agree Ged, Derek Beaumont scrapped the Academy, the season we gained promotion to Super League. At that time we were just buying the finished article, and players like Joe Bullock, Chris Hankinson, Tom Davies & Nick Gregson ended up being released after not being given much of a chance in the 1st team. Even though not many Leigh based players are currently playing in Super League, any young talent at Leigh East/Miners get snapped up by Saints, Wigan, or Warrington. We do have a college based academy at the LSV, but tyou have to be a student there to play for the team.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    Totally agree Ged, Derek Beaumont scrapped the Academy, the season we gained promotion to Super League. At that time we were just buying the finished article, and players like Joe Bullock, Chris Hankinson, Tom Davies & Nick Gregson ended up being released after not being given much of a chance in the 1st team. Even though not many Leigh based players are currently playing in Super League, any young talent at Leigh East/Miners get snapped up by Saints, Wigan, or Warrington. We do have a college based academy at the LSV, but tyou have to be a student there to play for the team.
    When you look at the talent that has come out of Leigh in the past, it's a real tragedy that you don't have an academy. A real waste of potential talent.

In The South Stand

I think a fair few people in Leigh dont agree with what he did.

Banned

Yes Ged. But his heart and Wallet are in it. Arthur Thomas threw a fortune at Leigh and we know how that ended. Steve O Connor at Widnes was losing money hand over fist and ended up writing off about 500 K before leaving that man Rule and his well out of his depth Brother to it. Widnes are slowly dying. Leigh keep fighting on.

In The South Stand

I like Leigh , Town and Rugby Ciub i used to go watching them at Hilton Park when Saints didnt have a game but the idea of a Rugby League club having an owner which they have does not sit right with me . They should have an Academy with lads who had played for and got some allegience to the town.