Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 points for drop goals

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    - Video referees to review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light

How much is this going to prolong the game, if every try has to be reviewed by the video ref? Also, how would that work in Super League for games that aren't televised?
    The ref may as well give everything as an on-field try as it's going to be looked at any way.
    This very process has ruined football. Stay well clear

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    This very process has ruined football. Stay well clear
    Yet it works quite well in Rugby Union, it could quite easily be done whilst the kicker is lining up his kick, if you cant prove something in that time you cant overrule it. It should be quite simple, but most likely wont be.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Yet it works quite well in Rugby Union, it could quite easily be done whilst the kicker is lining up his kick, if you cant prove something in that time you cant overrule it. It should be quite simple, but most likely wont be.
    If there's a way to •••• it up, we'll find it.

I’m just not very keen on every try being checked. You’ll win some and lose some but it’s far better to have a flowing game where a try can be celebrated when a ref gives it and not a minute or so later

In The South Stand

The only thing that needs to be changed regarding the video ref is take away the on field call and just ask try yes or no ?. Checking every try is just stupidity.

Banned

The 2pt drop goal is the type of stupidity that RL is typical of the game. Could you imagine if cricket introduced a rule where you get 12 if you hit a 6 out of the ground, or in football you got 2 goals for scoring outside of 40 metres. Perhaps 5 points for any field goals in an NRL game that are over say 55 yards. Our officiating teams struggle enough without another rule to think about!

Be that as it may these moves signify the lack of confidence RL has in its product at the moment. It seems yet again the sports administrators have been dictated to by some whopper in the media that think ‘fast is dead good.’ Remember the unlimited interchange along those lines. Barmy.

I will concede however the stopped play rule is genius. Warrington, Catalans and that cheating ginger prick for Walefield will have to come up with a new con next year. Personally id have awarded an extra tackle for the attacking team to mitigate for the rank gamesmanship we’ve seen from aforementioned teams.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    The only thing that needs to be changed regarding the video ref is take away the on field call and just ask try yes or no ?. Checking every try is just stupidity.
    RU do that and it works far better than our system.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    The 2pt drop goal is the type of stupidity that RL is typical of the game. Could you imagine if cricket introduced a rule where you get 12 if you hit a 6 out of the ground, or in football you got 2 goals for scoring outside of 40 metres. Perhaps 5 points for any field goals in an NRL game that are over say 55 yards. Our officiating teams struggle enough without another rule to think about!

Be that as it may these moves signify the lack of confidence RL has in its product at the moment. It seems yet again the sports administrators have been dictated to by some whopper in the media that think ‘fast is dead good.’ Remember the unlimited interchange along those lines. Barmy.

I will concede however the stopped play rule is genius. Warrington, Catalans and that cheating ginger prick for Walefield will have to come up with a new con next year. Personally id have awarded an extra tackle for the attacking team to mitigate for the rank gamesmanship we’ve seen from aforementioned teams.
    I tend to agree. Sick of rule change, after rule change after rule change. Every. Single. Season. Why can't they can't leave the sport alone for 12 months?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post

We see close games turn into DG contests for the last five-ten minutes, so now it’ll be the last twenty with teams going for 40 yarders for 2 points. If you have a good long kicker in your team why bother with the intricacies of breaking a team down if you can lob it back at any point in the tackle count and take a pot shot from 40 yards half a dozen times a game? Teams won’t be able to charge the designated kicker every tackle when they get over the half way line, so attacking teams will be able to pick and choose which tackle they’re going for it, which will give them a far better chance of getting them. It will lead to more attempts, less attacking RL and more attention paid to ‘will they go for the two pointer’ over and over again in any big game when a team is attacking near the half way line.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Once more we're going to have three different rules, which is absolutely bonkers really seeing as there's only two professional leagues..

The video ref can be one managed different, but changing the points scoring is fundamentally different, why can't the RLIF be in charge of rule changes

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Just can't see it being used a lot more in a game, 40 metres is still a very difficult kick. When missed, probably all the players will be offside at the kick, if it goes dead its a 7 tackle, if the opposition pick up then they running the ball back at a broken field.

The only time I can see it being used might be in the last 30 seconds in the first half when a team is pegged around the half way line. A drop goal from 40 metres out is pretty skilful and is worth 2 pts. in reality all goals should be 2 pts.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 12th December 2020 at 19:20.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    To be fair, the NRL is far more defensive than here
    Not sure about that because the scores in games are similar to here and they have to produce many more flair players to break defences.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Dead against it. The fact a drop goal is worth one adds a nuance to the game. It's only gone for at certain times of a match which adds to the excitement of seeing teams trying to get over the line by attempting it. Lose that and a texture of the sport is lost in my opinion.

Banned

Why oh why do we continue to keep ••••ing about with rules and the rest? I'm really starting to lose patience with the game again, instead of sorting the actual issues, taking the sponging clubs to task, investing in the officiating, sorting the disciplinary and stopping shit house tactics we continue to fanny around. And while we're on the subject, •••• the NRL and whatever stupid rules they want to bring in.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Why oh why do we continue to keep ••••ing about with rules and the rest? I'm really starting to lose patience with the game again, instead of sorting the actual issues, taking the sponging clubs to task, investing in the officiating, sorting the disciplinary and stopping shit house tactics we continue to fanny around. And while we're on the subject, •••• the NRL and whatever stupid rules they want to bring in.
    Because they’re trying to make the game more exciting to watch and ••••ing about with the rules is easier and cheaper than investing time and money into player development/retention to raise the overall standard and make the game better to watch that way.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Because they’re trying to make the game more exciting to watch and ••••ing about with the rules is easier and cheaper than investing time and money into player development/retention to raise the overall standard and make the game better to watch that way.
    I know what they're trying to do. It doesn't change the fact that nearly all the time it doesn't work and winds up people who follow the game into the bargain. But as you rightly say, it's easier and cheaper than doing what's actually needed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I know what they're trying to do. It doesn't change the fact that nearly all the time it doesn't work and winds up people who follow the game into the bargain. But as you rightly say, it's easier and cheaper than doing what's actually needed.
    The RFL’s idea for a ‘competitive’ super league is to drag the standard down to Wakefield and Hull KR’s level rather than drag everyone else up to Saints and Wigan. Embarrassing.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

The RFL’s idea for a ‘competitive’ super league is to drag the standard down to Wakefield and Hull KR’s level rather than drag everyone else up to Saints and Wigan. Embarrassing.
    Again, I agree and embarrassing is the right word. I've said this before but in an ideal world I'd scrap the playoffs and GF, bring back relegation to make the poor clubs accountable and give others the chance of SL, all pro sides to play in the cup from round 1, force all pro clubs to have youth programs and all SL teams to run both academy and A teams. It'll never happen in a month of Sundays now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

That has been one of the problems for a long time now.

Nobody will go for a 40m drop goal except as a last ditch attempt to win a match/draw level. In that regard it could work

Learning All The Songs

The introduction of the three pointer in Basketball was a success

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

On the point of a drop goal, I'm not sure what this adds. It works in basketball because scoring baskets is the primary aim of the game. Long range efforts should be rewarded. In League, drop goals are usually a last resort for breaking deadlocks or pushing six points to seven. Do we really want to start encouraging long range kicks to make the game like Rugby Union? I just don't see what this can feasibly add to improve the game.

More dangerously for the game, video referees re-refereeing rather than just being called upon to advise is what has destroyed football at the top level. It's an emotion killer.

At least in RL now, once the referee has pointed within a couple of seconds of the 'try', then you know you are free to celebrate. Whilst we knew that Jack Welsby's was going to the video ref and we needed to curb our celebrations, just imagine the referee pointing, you going mental for a minute and then a big screen taking the moment away. Once that has happened, you'll never celebrate a try properly again for fear of what might have happened unnoticed in back play. Believe me, it happened to me in football at a very vital moment and I've never been able to celebrate a goal properly since. That one moment has robbed me of more or less every spontaneous footballing emotion that could have happened since that dark day in April 2019, and it's only a matter of time before every supporter of a Premier League club gets bitten the same way and starts to react to a given goal with a sense of fear of letting themselves go for no reason rather than elation.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    On the point of a drop goal, I'm not sure what this adds. It works in basketball because scoring baskets is the primary aim of the game. Long range efforts should be rewarded. In League, drop goals are usually a last resort for breaking deadlocks or pushing six points to seven. Do we really want to start encouraging long range kicks to make the game like Rugby Union? I just don't see what this can feasibly add to improve the game.

More dangerously for the game, video referees re-refereeing rather than just being called upon to advise is what has destroyed football at the top level. It's an emotion killer.

At least in RL now, once the referee has pointed within a couple of seconds of the 'try', then you know you are free to celebrate. Whilst we knew that Jack Welsby's was going to the video ref and we needed to curb our celebrations, just imagine the referee pointing, you going mental for a minute and then a big screen taking the moment away. Once that has happened, you'll never celebrate a try properly again for fear of what might have happened unnoticed in back play. Believe me, it happened to me in football at a very vital moment and I've never been able to celebrate a goal properly since. That one moment has robbed me of more or less every spontaneous footballing emotion that could have happened since that dark day in April 2019, and it's only a matter of time before every supporter of a Premier League club gets bitten the same way and starts to react to a given goal with a sense of fear of letting themselves go for no reason rather than elation.
    Luckily the RFL don't have the necessery resources outside of the TV matches to check every try. The Video Ref works in Rugby League and I assume Union because you can usually tell prior to the try if it will need to be double checked or not. I agree that the last thing we need is NFL style re-reffeering of every scoring play.

What is happening in the Premier League at the minute is a farcial and for all our woes I am glad that VAR currently isn't anywhere near League 1.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Here's a controversial one, but •••• it.

Weight restrictions.

Players are too heavy, and immobile. They are all identikit automatons. No skill. No flair. No identity. That Sky intro with the robots was unintentionally pretty apt

There is absolutely no need for a full back to weigh on average 14.33 stone. I'd set restrictions on "backs" and "forwards" independently. The average front rower is 16.5 stone. It's ridiculous. They're on the weights, and attrition, rather than practicing any handling skills. Peter Cooke once said on Parkie that all RL players are overweight. Well, they all certainly are now.

Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/11/...cks-and-props/

The golden age of RL - mid-80s/90s - early 00s. It's like watching stickmen in comparison. But they were all relatable, and had their own unique characteristics. The only people that can relate to players these days are cokeheaded steroid munching gym freaks.

Learning All The Songs

2pts for a DG is a dreadful idea. I’d scrap the golden point as well id love to know which clubs voted for that.