Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 points for drop goals

Learning All The Songs

Default 2 points for drop goals

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Start practising Tommy, (and Jack) if the 10 metre six again rule also comes instead of an offside penalty, that will really quicken the game up even more, and tire the forwards out and hopefully mean a bit more constructive back play, but I can't help thinking coaches will start employing even more more wrestle in the tackle to assist players to get ready for the restart

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Full list:

- Introduction of a two-point field goal for kicks taken from more than 40 metres out

- ‘Six-again' to be called for 10-metre infringements

- Penalties for teams if they leave a scrum before a referee calls 'break'

- A play-the-ball restart if the ball or player with the ball goes over the sideline

- Video referees to review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light

- Injured players will be interchanged if a trainer ask for play to be stopped

- When a captain's challenge is inconclusive a team will not be docked for an unsuccessful attempt

- A handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot

I’ll be honest I can’t see the 40m drop goals catching on, especially when if it goes dead it’s a 7 tackle set from the 20m.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Thats interesting, could they go further and give a 5 point try if scored from your own half, would that encourage a more open passing game.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Thats interesting, could they go further and give a 5 point try if scored from your own half, would that encourage a more open passing game.
    and 3 points for penalties...

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post

That’s Warrington goosed then

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    and 3 points for penalties...
    steady on .We will become a rugby union clone

In The South Stand

1/10 attempts over 40m was successful in 2020, I can’t see it being used much more.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Starting A Programme Collection

40 metre plus drop goal are really difficult, I can't think of many players in either code who can do that on a regular basis

Tommy mak will be demanding a pay rise as we speak

Learning All The Songs

Full list:

- Introduction of a two-point field goal for kicks taken from more than 40 metres out

- A play-the-ball restart if the ball or player with the ball goes over the sideline

- Video referees to review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light

- When a captain's challenge is inconclusive a team will not be docked for an unsuccessful attempt

- A handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot

I’ll be honest I can’t see the 40m drop goals catching on, especially when if it goes dead it’s a 7 tackle set from the 20m.
    They all sound like the right sort of ideas, all designed to speed up the game, maybe have the rule if the ball goes out on the full from a drop goal attempt then its only 6 tackles not 7, that way it doesnt to overly punish a team making a drop goal attempt.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Play the ball with the foot, what a novel idea!!

If that is put in place over here it'll be to you, to me ad infinitum.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

My only worry about the six again rule is often the six again is not really a punishment.. for example relieving penalties will be gone, you can be offside or slow the play the ball down in the opposition twenty with only conceding a further tackle.

Similarly if you give the ball away in your own ten you can give away another tackle but get your line set. In the grand final Wigan could have just held Fages down and we'd have got another tackle.

I like the six again rule, however I wonder if the captain or more easier the acting half back could give a signal to opt for a penalty

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    My only worry about the six again rule is often the six again is not really a punishment.. for example relieving penalties will be gone, you can be offside or slow the play the ball down in the opposition twenty with only conceding a further tackle.

Similarly if you give the ball away in your own ten you can give away another tackle but get your line set. In the grand final Wigan could have just held Fages down and we'd have got another tackle.

I like the six again rule, however I wonder if the captain or more easier the acting half back could give a signal to opt for a penalty
    Maybe it should be based on where the offence takes place, if its in your own 20 its a penalty, anywhere else its 6 again, gives a chance to clear your lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Maybe it should be based on where the offence takes place, if its in your own 20 its a penalty, anywhere else its 6 again, gives a chance to clear your lines.
    That's probably the easier, also include the last two minutes of the game

In The South Stand

Full list:

about time on the injured player being interchanged if the play stops.

Cant see many teams going for a 2 point drop goal from over 40m out unless in the last few minutes of a half.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

In The South Stand

I said that when the 6 again rule was introduced...what would happen in the last minute of a grand final with the scores tied, the incentive to hold down and concede 6 again rather than a kickable penalty. The team that is offended against should have say 15 seconds to indicate to the referee that they want the penalty instead.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I have always thought 5 for a try was more balanced when you have 2 for a conversion. I don't mind two for the 40m DG. Would also like to see three for a penalty to stop some of the head highs.

Banned

The message from the fans and our broadcasters has been clear; the game became too predictable and the balance between attack and defence had gone too far in favour of defence," V'landys added.

Good to see the NRL listening to fans and broadcasters. Unlike the clowns running the game over here.

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    The message from the fans and our broadcasters has been clear; the game became too predictable and the balance between attack and defence had gone too far in favour of defence," V'landys added.

Good to see the NRL listening to fans and broadcasters. Unlike the clowns running the game over here.
    To be fair, the NRL is far more defensive than here

Got A Season Ticket

How much is this going to prolong the game, if every try has to be reviewed by the video ref? Also, how would that work in Super League for games that aren't televised?
    The ref may as well give everything as an on-field try as it's going to be looked at any way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post

How much is this going to prolong the game, if every try has to be reviewed by the video ref? Also, how would that work in Super League for games that aren't televised?
    The ref may as well give everything as an on-field try as it's going to be looked at any way.
    I thought that as well, the muppets over here can't decide on clear try's, never mind foul play.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post

Doubt it’ll take that long unless it’s a controversial one. From the try being scored to the kick being taken there’s probably a couple of mins, should be enough time to review.

It obviously can’t be brought into super league as every game isn’t televised.

I’ve said it for ages, we play two sets of rules over here. One for TV matches and one for not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

To be fair, the NRL is far more defensive than here
    True. But it’s good that they’ve taken feedback onboard and are doing something about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I have always thought 5 for a try was more balanced when you have 2 for a conversion. I don't mind two for the 40m DG. Would also like to see three for a penalty to stop some of the head highs.
    I like that bit, needs to be taken more seriously, maybe give 2 options a 3 pt penalty attempt or a 7 tackle set.

Learning All The Songs

I like that bit, needs to be taken more seriously, maybe give 2 options a 3 pt penalty attempt or a 7 tackle set.
    What about in the case of a high tackle that player is removed from the field until his team regain possession, creates space for an attacking opportunity.