Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Greenwood gone to Huddersfield

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Default Joe Greenwood gone to Huddersfield

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Looks as though they are going for size over ability with Ashworth and Greenwood, unless Watson can get the best out of them that other coaches couldn't.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

I can hold Greenwood in higher regards now he’s left Wigan.
    He turned out to be an awful signing for them, hopefully he can do well at Hudds and fulfill some of the potential he showed in his early years at Saints.

Got A Season Ticket

I don't expect Wigan minded too much about Greenwood either way - inconsistent player who only occasionally made a big impact. But why did Joe Burgess go to Salford? Surely he's a better winger than Bibby. Neither Greenwood or Burgess did much in Australia, but their careers are surely going the wrong way. Am I missing something?

In The South Stand

Watson does have a way with players.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    I don't expect Wigan minded too much about Greenwood either way - inconsistent player who only occasionally made a big impact. But why did Joe Burgess go to Salford? Surely he's a better winger than Bibby. Neither Greenwood or Burgess did much in Australia, but their careers are surely going the wrong way. Am I missing something?
    When he signed for Salford he would have been third choice at Wigan behind Marshall and Manfredi. His contract was running down and he will have had decent wage expectations so at the time probably the right move for him to go to Salford. Hind site given the injuries is a wonderful thing but it will have been sorted by then.

There will be one more big earner leaving Wigan in the next month or so and I’d expect a prop and maybe a cover outside back recruited.

Greenwood no loss. Way down the pecking order and a confidence player that seems to struggle with the weight of expectation placed on him.

Bags of potential and The Giants may well be a very good career move for him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Backing Marshall and Manfredi with Bibby as a back up? Suspect money has played a factor here, can’t imagine Burgess was on peanuts.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection

Greenwood never quite kicked on has he? I don't the guy but he always came across as a bit too cocky for my liking in interviews and he acted like a prize berk when he was giving it large when wigan beat us earlier in the season.

He is at the cross roads of his career now, he needs to talk a bit less and play a lot more

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Greenwood never quite kicked on has he? I don't the guy but he always came across as a bit too cocky for my liking in interviews and he acted like a prize berk when he was giving it large when wigan beat us earlier in the season.

He is at the cross roads of his career now, he needs to talk a bit less and play a lot more

Greenwood never struck me as a wi*an type player. When he was at Saints he was a bit on the timid side. It seems that yard-dog shithousery is instilled in players at the piescum, and he probably struggled to bring that into his game - the 'giving it big bollocks' and the odd high tackle were perhaps his way of trying to just fit in.

In The South Stand

Greenwood looked a real prospect for a period and I thought we had a star on our hands. His progress stalled, many blamed Cunningham and I did at the time too but having seen Greenwood at Gold Coast, Wigan and Leeds since then, Cunningham can’t be completely to blame and Greenwood has to take blame here.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I can hold Greenwood in higher regards now he’s left Wigan.
    He turned out to be an awful signing for them, hopefully he can do well at Hudds and fulfill some of the potential he showed in his early years at Saints.
    I couldn't care less after he went to them. I feel the same about Ashworth to be honest.

Got A Season Ticket

I firmly believe that it's to do with the salary cap. They've may have planned on Hastings doing a runner and so have signed Field, with French staying and Bateman coming in, only 2 of those four can be classed as Marquee players and I'm sure that players like Farrell, George Burgess, Hardaker and Gildart aren't on peanuts so they may be struggling to stay under the cap without shedding some (dead) wood - Joe Burgess, Greenwood, Flower, etc

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Greenwood never struck me as a wi*an type player. When he was at Saints he was a bit on the timid side. It seems that yard-dog shithousery is instilled in players at the piescum, and he probably struggled to bring that into his game - the 'giving it big bollocks' and the odd high tackle were perhaps his way of trying to just fit in.
    I would be a bit worried if I was a Giants fan both Greenwood and Ashworth lack aggression and work ethic.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I would be a bit worried if I was a Giants fan both Greenwood and Ashworth lack aggression and work ethic.
    That f*cking cowbell is enough to drive anyone into a frenzy, though.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Greenwood is primarily a left sided back row forward. He isn't going to move Farrell from that position. He isn't going to move Bateman, Isa or Smithies either. Just behind them are the likes of Havard, Shorrocks, Kilner etc who all offer better "value for money"
    I believe Wigan are trying to bring in one or two more players and maybe upgrade the contracts of some of the youngsters, Harry Smith being a name mentioned. I don't expect G Burgess to be at Wigan next season either so there should be quite a bit of cap space free.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I don't expect G Burgess to be at Wigan next season either so there should be quite a bit of cap space free.

I'll be gutted if you manage to weasel out of that one.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Greenwood looked a real prospect for a period and I thought we had a star on our hands. His progress stalled, many blamed Cunningham and I did at the time too but having seen Greenwood at Gold Coast, Wigan and Leeds since then, Cunningham can’t be completely to blame and Greenwood has to take blame here.
    Greenwood never played for Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    Greenwood never played for Leeds.
    No he signed for them on a 2 month loan, didn’t get in the team and then Covid shut everything down. He was due to make his debut against Catalan but was the reason it was called off after showing symptoms the night before the game.

Banned

Greenwood is primarily a left sided back row forward. He isn't going to move Farrell from that position. He isn't going to move Bateman, Isa or Smithies either. Just behind them are the likes of Havard, Shorrocks, Kilner etc who all offer better "value for money"
    I believe Wigan are trying to bring in one or two more players and maybe upgrade the contracts of some of the youngsters, Harry Smith being a name mentioned. I don't expect G Burgess to be at Wigan next season either so there should be quite a bit of cap space free.
    Thanks for that pearl of wisdom Brian, none of us had any idea of his position.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Stick with me kid, you'll learn a lot
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 10th December 2020 at 18:40.

Kieran Cunningham certainly didn’t!

Banned

Stick with me kid, you'll earn a lot
    Earn a lot you say?

I'm assuming you were trying to patronise me, meant learn and ••••ed it up.

However I'll accept any money you want to give me.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Earn a lot you say?

I'm assuming you were trying to patronise me, meant learn and ••••ed it up.

However I'll accept any money you want to give me.
    I did indeed
    Not patronising at all just a bit of pre Christmas craic.

Banned

I did indeed
    Not patronising at all just a bit of pre Christmas craic.
    Same here, you may wind me up at times but no one can say you're not a good sport.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Kieran Cunningham certainly didn’t!
    And for me that stalled Greenwood. Though after that he never lived up to early expectations. Watson has taken many other cast offs and turned them into decent players. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same with Greenwood. However, if he doesn't then I don't see anywhere else for Greenwood other than the likes of HKR or championship.