Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 172

Thread: Joe Greenwood gone to Huddersfield

  1. #1
    Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    WA10
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Joe Greenwood gone to Huddersfield


  2. #2
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Looks as though they are going for size over ability with Ashworth and Greenwood, unless Watson can get the best out of them that other coaches couldn't.

  3. #3
    In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,142
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I can hold Greenwood in higher regards now he’s left Wigan.
    He turned out to be an awful signing for them, hopefully he can do well at Hudds and fulfill some of the potential he showed in his early years at Saints.

  4. #4
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Canterbury, Kent
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I don't expect Wigan minded too much about Greenwood either way - inconsistent player who only occasionally made a big impact. But why did Joe Burgess go to Salford? Surely he's a better winger than Bibby. Neither Greenwood or Burgess did much in Australia, but their careers are surely going the wrong way. Am I missing something?

  5. #5
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,735
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Watson does have a way with players.

  6. #6
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    I don't expect Wigan minded too much about Greenwood either way - inconsistent player who only occasionally made a big impact. But why did Joe Burgess go to Salford? Surely he's a better winger than Bibby. Neither Greenwood or Burgess did much in Australia, but their careers are surely going the wrong way. Am I missing something?
    When he signed for Salford he would have been third choice at Wigan behind Marshall and Manfredi. His contract was running down and he will have had decent wage expectations so at the time probably the right move for him to go to Salford. Hind site given the injuries is a wonderful thing but it will have been sorted by then.

    There will be one more big earner leaving Wigan in the next month or so and I’d expect a prop and maybe a cover outside back recruited.

    Greenwood no loss. Way down the pecking order and a confidence player that seems to struggle with the weight of expectation placed on him.

    Bags of potential and The Giants may well be a very good career move for him.

  7. #7
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    I don't expect Wigan minded too much about Greenwood either way - inconsistent player who only occasionally made a big impact. But why did Joe Burgess go to Salford? Surely he's a better winger than Bibby. Neither Greenwood or Burgess did much in Australia, but their careers are surely going the wrong way. Am I missing something?
    Backing Marshall and Manfredi with Bibby as a back up? Suspect money has played a factor here, cant imagine Burgess was on peanuts.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  8. #8
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Greenwood never quite kicked on has he? I don't the guy but he always came across as a bit too cocky for my liking in interviews and he acted like a prize berk when he was giving it large when wigan beat us earlier in the season.

    He is at the cross roads of his career now, he needs to talk a bit less and play a lot more

  9. #9
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,388
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Greenwood never quite kicked on has he? I don't the guy but he always came across as a bit too cocky for my liking in interviews and he acted like a prize berk when he was giving it large when wigan beat us earlier in the season.

    He is at the cross roads of his career now, he needs to talk a bit less and play a lot more

    Greenwood never struck me as a wi*an type player. When he was at Saints he was a bit on the timid side. It seems that yard-dog shithousery is instilled in players at the piescum, and he probably struggled to bring that into his game - the 'giving it big bollocks' and the odd high tackle were perhaps his way of trying to just fit in.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  10. #10
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,305
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Greenwood looked a real prospect for a period and I thought we had a star on our hands. His progress stalled, many blamed Cunningham and I did at the time too but having seen Greenwood at Gold Coast, Wigan and Leeds since then, Cunningham can’t be completely to blame and Greenwood has to take blame here.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  11. #11
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,644
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I can hold Greenwood in higher regards now he’s left Wigan.
    He turned out to be an awful signing for them, hopefully he can do well at Hudds and fulfill some of the potential he showed in his early years at Saints.
    I couldn't care less after he went to them. I feel the same about Ashworth to be honest.

  12. #12
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    I don't expect Wigan minded too much about Greenwood either way - inconsistent player who only occasionally made a big impact. But why did Joe Burgess go to Salford? Surely he's a better winger than Bibby. Neither Greenwood or Burgess did much in Australia, but their careers are surely going the wrong way. Am I missing something?
    I firmly believe that it's to do with the salary cap. They've may have planned on Hastings doing a runner and so have signed Field, with French staying and Bateman coming in, only 2 of those four can be classed as Marquee players and I'm sure that players like Farrell, George Burgess, Hardaker and Gildart aren't on peanuts so they may be struggling to stay under the cap without shedding some (dead) wood - Joe Burgess, Greenwood, Flower, etc

  13. #13
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    5,038
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Greenwood never struck me as a wi*an type player. When he was at Saints he was a bit on the timid side. It seems that yard-dog shithousery is instilled in players at the piescum, and he probably struggled to bring that into his game - the 'giving it big bollocks' and the odd high tackle were perhaps his way of trying to just fit in.
    I would be a bit worried if I was a Giants fan both Greenwood and Ashworth lack aggression and work ethic.

  14. #14
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,388
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I would be a bit worried if I was a Giants fan both Greenwood and Ashworth lack aggression and work ethic.
    That f*cking cowbell is enough to drive anyone into a frenzy, though.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  15. #15
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,506
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Greenwood is primarily a left sided back row forward. He isn't going to move Farrell from that position. He isn't going to move Bateman, Isa or Smithies either. Just behind them are the likes of Havard, Shorrocks, Kilner etc who all offer better "value for money"
    I believe Wigan are trying to bring in one or two more players and maybe upgrade the contracts of some of the youngsters, Harry Smith being a name mentioned. I don't expect G Burgess to be at Wigan next season either so there should be quite a bit of cap space free.

  16. #16
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,388
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I don't expect G Burgess to be at Wigan next season either so there should be quite a bit of cap space free.

    I'll be gutted if you manage to weasel out of that one.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  17. #17
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WA12
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Greenwood looked a real prospect for a period and I thought we had a star on our hands. His progress stalled, many blamed Cunningham and I did at the time too but having seen Greenwood at Gold Coast, Wigan and Leeds since then, Cunningham cant be completely to blame and Greenwood has to take blame here.
    Greenwood never played for Leeds.

  18. #18
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    Greenwood never played for Leeds.
    No he signed for them on a 2 month loan, didnt get in the team and then Covid shut everything down. He was due to make his debut against Catalan but was the reason it was called off after showing symptoms the night before the game.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  19. #19
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,644
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Greenwood is primarily a left sided back row forward. He isn't going to move Farrell from that position. He isn't going to move Bateman, Isa or Smithies either. Just behind them are the likes of Havard, Shorrocks, Kilner etc who all offer better "value for money"
    I believe Wigan are trying to bring in one or two more players and maybe upgrade the contracts of some of the youngsters, Harry Smith being a name mentioned. I don't expect G Burgess to be at Wigan next season either so there should be quite a bit of cap space free.
    Thanks for that pearl of wisdom Brian, none of us had any idea of his position.

  20. #20
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,506
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Thanks for that pearl of wisdom Brian, none of us had any idea of his position.
    Stick with me kid, you'll learn a lot
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 10th December 2020 at 18:40.

  21. #21
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,456
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Thanks for that pearl of wisdom Brian, none of us had any idea of his position.
    Kieran Cunningham certainly didnt!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  22. #22
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,644
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Stick with me kid, you'll earn a lot
    Earn a lot you say?

    I'm assuming you were trying to patronise me, meant learn and ed it up.

    However I'll accept any money you want to give me.

  23. #23
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,506
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Earn a lot you say?

    I'm assuming you were trying to patronise me, meant learn and ••••ed it up.

    However I'll accept any money you want to give me.
    I did indeed
    Not patronising at all just a bit of pre Christmas craic.

  24. #24
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,644
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I did indeed
    Not patronising at all just a bit of pre Christmas craic.
    Same here, you may wind me up at times but no one can say you're not a good sport.

  25. #25
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,642
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Kieran Cunningham certainly didn’t!
    And for me that stalled Greenwood. Though after that he never lived up to early expectations. Watson has taken many other cast offs and turned them into decent players. I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same with Greenwood. However, if he doesn't then I don't see anywhere else for Greenwood other than the likes of HKR or championship.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •