Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential new Sky TV deal

Default Potential new Sky TV deal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...mpression=true

Seems like Elstone has negotiated a new deal with Sky for less money than the current deal. Seems BT were interested, doesn't say how much they offered though but their interest doesn't seem to have kicked off a bidding war.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...mpression=true

Seems like Elstone has negotiated a new deal with Sky for less money than the current deal. Seems BT were interested, doesn't say how much they offered though but their interest doesn't seem to have kicked off a bidding war.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    I wonder how much less than it is now is it, given the stellar reputation when dealing with sponsorship and the like that Elstone has, knowing his recent history he has given it away, probably got Sky to give him the full package for his house so hes got something to watch whilst he eats his Papa Johns...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I wonder how much less than it is now is it, given the stellar reputation when dealing with sponsorship and the like that Elstone has, knowing his recent history he has given it away, probably got Sky to give him the full package for his house so hes got something to watch whilst he eats his Papa Johns...
    Are you in anyway surprised? In other news, Sky have some good deals at the moment.

In The South Stand

A lot of sports TV deals have dropped during their most recent set of negotiations, it’s not surprise that Rugby League’s dropped. It just depends by how much.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

The 3 year deal intrigues me as it’s a lot shorter than the 5 or 6 year deals we’ve seen in the past.

RU clubs have been talking about a rugby channel of some kind in their next deal, which could point to Sky. Given that the Prem TV deal is likely to be 3 years from 2021-22 could we end up with a Sky Sports Rugby channel with the Premiership and Super League on, with both tied to Sky for the same length of time? It seems strange that Sky wouldn’t just offer us cash for 5 or 6 years like they’ve done in the past unless there was some strategic reason why 3 suits them better.

BT bidding for SL also points me to the fact that they think they’ll lose the Premiership at the end of this season, which ties in with the theory for a Sky rugby channel of some kind.

Well the deal is done we can’t do anything about it now. I just hope Sky bring in some new blood to present / commentate on the games. Hey we may even get new opening graphics..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Well the deal is done we can’t do anything about it now. I just hope Sky bring in some new blood to present / commentate on the games. Hey we may even get new opening graphics..
    very much needed. Listening to Bill Arthur commentate on Saints v Cats was cringeworthy-he makes so many mistakes. Should have stuck to his touchline role rather than a main commentator.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    very much needed. Listening to Bill Arthur commentate on Saints v Cats was cringeworthy-he makes so many mistakes. Should have stuck to his touchline role rather than a main commentator.
    Not content with getting player's names wrong he even called the ref Liam Grant!

Very much doubt they'll be saving money to then throw it at some better commentary talent for a sport they obviously don't consider important to their schedules.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Worrying really. I bet we're the only sport whose new tv deal is reduced. With less money coming in and in the midst of a pandemic it's hard to see how we can improve our product. We are literally at the mercy of Sky.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Weren’t the new graphics in place only last season?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Default Potential new Sky TV deal

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Worrying really. I bet we're the only sport whose new tv deal is reduced. With less money coming in and in the midst of a pandemic it's hard to see how we can improve our product. We are literally at the mercy of Sky.

I don’t have the sources to back this up but I gather from what people have been saying that sports broadcast deals are reducing more or less across the board with the exception of the Premiership.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I don’t have the sources to back this up but I gather from what people have been saying that sports broadcast deals are reducing more or less across the board with the exception of the Premiership.
    Club union only worth 40m a year

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

We dont know what the outcome of next year will be.

Possibly playing in stadiums with only a certain amount of fan, maybe no fans. Who knows.

The effects of this virus will be felt for the next 3 years without doubt.

So for Sky to be putting money towards us in a really unstable time is a good thing. They did take a hit to allow viewers to watch sky sports for free during the lockdown. So they have to claw that back some how.

At the end of it, hopefully, the country and Sky (or BT) will be in a better financial state to put money into a contract, its just important the people who run the sport remember that for the next round of negotiations.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post

Possibly playing in stadiums with only a certain amount of fan, maybe no fans. Who knows.

So for Sky to be putting money towards us in a really unstable time is a good thing. They did take a hit to allow viewers to watch sky sports for free during the lockdown. So they have to claw that back some how.

At the end of it, hopefully, the country and Sky (or BT) will be in a better financial state to put money into a contract, its just important the people who run the sport remember that for the next round of negotiations.
    Good point to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post

And they need us to subscribe too, in An uncertain time for everyone wher £100 a month (usually spent on SKy) might be needed elsewhere in a family budget.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Do we get free pizza?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Do we get free pizza?
    Only if you accept delivery by Stobart truck.

Got A Season Ticket

I think you answer your own question there. For any network to commit to anything long-term ( beyond 2-3 years) at higher financial levels is risky at best. Also Sky will not have been immune from drops in advertising revenues etc;
    That said, freshening up the product they deliver ( in particular commentary team) is long overdue.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Worrying really. I bet we're the only sport whose new tv deal is reduced
    You’d be surprised. Even the last PL deal was for less money even before the pandemic, although obviously still mega bucks. The RU Prem deal for next season onwards will also likely be for less money than the current deal as well.

As it is, if the tv deals that the RFL set out are correct, the SL deal will almost all go to the 12 clubs whereas the last one was spread out across the game more, so £30m a year (for example) divided by 12 is better for the SL clubs than the previous £40m per year deal was. How that helps the lower leagues I don’t know, but I imagine the Cup and RLWC deals with the BBC and international providers is being used for that in future.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

To be fair it's Hobsons choice at the moment. The three years gives us time to make the product more exciting and better to watch and that's is up to the coaches and administrators.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Most of the people who said Stevo was dated & then Eddie was past it, were glad when they retired. The very same posters are now moaning about the present incumbents, admittedly the mistakes are much too often and childlike but who else is there.
    The lads that do RL games also do a lot of SKY commentary on other sports so it is not like they are inexperienced.
    In game commentary is a difficult job, that is why so few can do it well, so be careful what you wish for.
    Stuart Pyke was doing the darts the other night and his Wurther`s lisp was no where near as pronounced, maybe he just takes them down to a manageable size during RL to use them later at the other sports.
    Ben Proe and Terry O`Connor have been very good when paired together.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Most of the people who said Stevo was dated & then Eddie was past it, were glad when they retired. The very same posters are now moaning about the present incumbents, admittedly the mistakes are much too often and childlike but who else is there.
    The lads that do RL games also do a lot of SKY commentary on other sports so it is not like they are inexperienced.
    In game commentary is a difficult job, that is why so few can do it well, so be careful what you wish for.
    Stuart Pyke was doing the darts the other night and his Wurther`s lisp was no where near as pronounced, maybe he just takes them down to a manageable size during RL to use them later at the other sports.
    I don't mind Ben Proe, he can keep up with the pace of the game and his voice shows excitement at the right times.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Clive Tyldesley has been dropped from itv

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    To be fair it's Hobsons choice at the moment. The three years gives us time to make the product more exciting and better to watch and that's is up to the coaches and administrators.
    You mean we can go back to wrestling and the movement call. Get some scrums back. Get in some more West Yorkshire clubs. Then panic again in 2 1/2 years time when Sky want to pay even less.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.