Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Kevin Sinfield - Magnificent 7

  1. #1
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    5,045
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Kevin Sinfield - Magnificent 7

    Top Bloke, thought he deserves a special mention on here. Great ambassador for our sport in more ways than one, the national media coverage is growing with his challenge.

  2. #2
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,736
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Top Bloke, thought he deserves a special mention on here. Great ambassador for our sport in more ways than one, the national media coverage is growing with his challenge.
    That generation of Leeds players caused us some pain but I donít half admire them. It is impressive that they are still an off the field team but what Kevin Sinfield is doing isnít just about sport. I think it was Rob Burrow who mentioned the people with MND who werenít in the public eye and theyíre doing a lot to raise awareness of people living with what is an awful disease.

  3. #3
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,464
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Started off trying to raise £77,777 by doing 7 marathons in 7 days. Currently raised just shy of £500,000 hereís the link if anyone wants to donate:

    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/sinfield-7-in-7
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  4. #4
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Some effort. I can't say I've ever had much time for Sinfield but he's gone up in my estimation.

  5. #5
    Learning All The Songs RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Royton, Oldham
    Posts
    1,557
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Some effort. I can't say I've ever had much time for Sinfield but he's gone up in my estimation.
    Interested to know what you base that on Dave?

    Met him lots as heís a local lad and nothing but the utmost respect for him as a player and a bloke, who digs deep, even after that 40/20 in 2015
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

    This life is more than just a read through.

  6. #6
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    5,045
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Started off trying to raise £77,777 by doing 7 marathons in 7 days. Currently raised just shy of £500,000 here’s the link if anyone wants to donate:

    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/sinfield-7-in-7
    Think he starts his run at 7 o'clock in the morning as well, he wasn't too happy with his 3rd marathon said his mates were slowing him down.

  7. #7
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    4,442
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Cracking effort. He was some player. Not particularly gifted athletically, but as a big game manager he was peerless. If you’d have put him in the Saints team we’d have won at least two of those finals against Leeds.

  8. #8
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,464
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Interested to know what you base that on Dave?

    Met him lots as heís a local lad and nothing but the utmost respect for him as a player and a bloke, who digs deep, even after that 40/20 in 2015
    Always had a lot of time for him as a player. Has come across as a right prick sometimes in the way heís handled things at Leeds post retirement but canít fault him on this. Amazing effort.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  9. #9
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    1,826
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Made our donation yesterday. I think it's tremendous what he's doing. RL can always be relied upon to pull together in horrible circumstances. It's such a reality check to think that the likes of Paul Pogba could donate the amount raised so far from two weeeks wages, awful when you think about it. Well done to all concerned, especially Kev.

  10. #10
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Interested to know what you base that on Dave?

    Met him lots as he’s a local lad and nothing but the utmost respect for him as a player and a bloke, who digs deep, even after that 40/20 in 2015
    Probably nothing more than him being Leeds captain for so long. I can't recall ever meeting him but 95% of the players I have met have been sound, so no reason to doubt you.

  11. #11
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,650
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Cracking effort. He was some player. Not particularly gifted athletically, but as a big game manager he was peerless. If you’d have put him in the Saints team we’d have won at least two of those finals against Leeds.
    Never the best 13 nor 6, but wherever he played you knew he would manage the game better than anyone else in his generation.
    Great effort from him for a player that seems to have earned everyone's respect. Great to see how RB's team mates are still rallying round him.

  12. #12
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,293
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    That generation of Leeds players caused us some pain but I don’t half admire them. It is impressive that they are still an off the field team but what Kevin Sinfield is doing isn’t just about sport. I think it was Rob Burrow who mentioned the people with MND who weren’t in the public eye and they’re doing a lot to raise awareness of people living with what is an awful disease.
    Pretty much the same from me, that generation caused us some disappointments but water under the bridge now.

    To physically do 7 marathons in 7 days is a remarkable physical achievement.

    To do it to raise money for this cause is magnificent

  13. #13
    Learning All The Songs RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Royton, Oldham
    Posts
    1,557
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Probably nothing more than him being Leeds captain for so long. I can't recall ever meeting him but 95% of the players I have met have been sound, so no reason to doubt you.
    That’s fair enough, I just wondered.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

    This life is more than just a read through.

  14. #14
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,506
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    We've decided as a family not to send Christmas cards to each other but to donate to Robs MND charity fund instead.

  15. #15
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,111
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Interested to know what you base that on Dave?

    Met him lots as he’s a local lad and nothing but the utmost respect for him as a player and a bloke, who digs deep, even after that 40/20 in 2015
    That is an interesting point RJM, lots of people make judgements on people from a way they play, speak or how they look on our TV`s.
    It is what politicians work at, how to be perceived in public positively through media, I am glad most sportsmen don`t work on it too much, though soccer players are having media accounts managed by PR gurus.

    Well done Kev and the rest of that team, there seems to be an increase in the incidence of these diseases it is good that awareness is being raised, positive actions from all helping.

  16. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,740
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    That is an interesting point RJM, lots of people make judgements on people from a way they play, speak or how they look on our TV`s.
    Yeah, I learnt from a young age not to judge people based upon what they do on the field (barring obvious idiots who stepped over the line) because I was a sod when I played football as a teenager, I used to give refs abuse, would use all the tricks in the book to get an advantage etc, but I always considered myself a decent person off the field. So I’ve never judged players based on their demeanour or attitude on the park. I’ve hated some of them for 80 minutes if they were wearing cherry and white stripes for example, and wished them nothing but bad luck on the field, but deep down our game is full of top men who have walked the same streets as us, faced the same challenges and have similar outlooks on life.

    Watching the effort and love that Sinfield, Peacock, McDermott and co have put into this in 2020 has made me proud of being associated with the sport, and I’m sure there are hundreds just like them who would step up to the mark and do the same.

  17. #17
    Starting A Programme Collection Mike Stephenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    To physically do 7 marathons in 7 days is a remarkable physical achievement.
    If I'm not mistaken, he's done each one so far in under 4 hours too, which makes it all the more impressive!

    Regards,

    STEVO

  18. #18
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    877
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Kevin was interviewed on BBC News just. I hope the wider Public see what a great sport and great sportsmen these guys are.

  19. #19
    In The West Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    5,045
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, he's done each one so far in under 4 hours too, which makes it all the more impressive!

    Regards,

    STEVO
    His average over the 6 marathons completed is around 3hrs 45min. As Cyprus just mentioned the RFL social media should have been all over this to show the sport matters in the community, the BBC have shown great interest but it could have gone much further. He should complete his last one before 11-00 am what a fantastic bloke with great players from Leeds.

    EDIT: Just been on the radio Kevin Sinfield has raised over £1,000 000 pounds.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 7th December 2020 at 09:32.

  20. #20
    In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Golborne
    Posts
    4,368
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Just gone over the million mark, it's risen massively this morning after all the coverage

  21. #21
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,464
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    His average over the 6 marathons completed is around 3hrs 45min. As Cyprus just mentioned the RFL social media should have been all over this to show the sport matters in the community, the BBC have shown great interest but it could have gone much further. He should complete his last one before 11-00 am what a fantastic bloke with great players from Leeds.
    Donít know what social media heís been looking at but the RFL Twitter and Facebook pages have been all over it with interactions and promotions from top sportsmen, TV presenters, politicians etc. Gone past the million mark now, incredible!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  22. #22
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    247
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Donít know what social media heís been looking at but the RFL Twitter and Facebook pages have been all over it with interactions and promotions from top sportsmen, TV presenters, politicians etc. Gone past the million mark now, incredible!
    I know a couple of people who know Kevin and they say he's a terrific bloke and he's someone I have always admired despite the rivalry. This, however, is incredible and is beyond what you think of him as a rugby player and rival. What an amazing effort.

  23. #23
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Just seen him finish on the news, what an effort, he obviously looked a bit emotional and who can blame him. I think he might be due a lie in tomorrow.

  24. #24
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,506
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Absolutely incredible performance from Sinfield. We as a sport should be very proud of him and what he has done for Rob Burrow and his family. Total respect.

  25. #25
    Learning All The Songs RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Royton, Oldham
    Posts
    1,557
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Pat Richards tweeted that Leeds were always a difficult TEAM to beat, and he said that this shows why......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

    This life is more than just a read through.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •