Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next years squad

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Where did you get the match stats from? I looked on the Betfred Super League site and can't find the full stats.
    You do realise that Greenwood only played 27 minutes though. That stat is on there.
    27 minutes and only because another no mark was injured. Rubbish.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Some great efforts there. Collectively the backs worked really hard to get us going forward with Walmsley and Graham struggling with injuries.

Coote: 146 metres, 20 carries
    Makinson: 143 metres, 21 carries
    Naquima: 113 metres, 11 carries
    Grace: 172 metres, 17 carries
    Lomax: 198 metres, 28 carries
    Fages: 150 metres from 21 carries
    I only watched the game live, but I had no idea Fages was our third biggest metre maker.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/12/0...bers-revealed/

Thats a strong looking squad!! Im usually quite relieved when the season ends but Im actually looking forward to next year.
    If we are well coached theirs foundations there for a strong future.

The start of a dynasty??
    That 1-13 picks itself when fit. Probably similar for 14-17 as well but with one of Amor or LMS missing out for Smith/Welsby/Dodd. Excited to see this squad play, can the new season just start already please?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Hopefully Paasi brings some good impact off the bench. Hopefully Lees steps up now with a strong pre season. I was unsure where Matautia would fit in but he will be good cover for any injuries to back rowers or centres.
    I still have my doubts over Thompson simply because heÂ’s been around a while and picked up a few injuries through his career. He certainly has the pedigree i just hope heÂ’s not over for the pension pot.

The big question to come out of next year is who will start creeping into Robys shirt? Dodd blooded at 7 with Fages switching to 9, or more games for Smith/Eaves??
    Big question this is. I do think we will see Fage shift into the hooker role . IÂ’m not sure about Smith at 9 yet, Roby is gonna need a replacement/ support throughout the season . If Fage is not affective as a 9 replacement , his days may well be numbered if Dodd can show his worth !

Lees , IÂ’m confident will be stronger next season . On paper we look a quality squad however itÂ’s always a risk having change in mass . The positive is the squad is complete with a full pre season together . The club have acted fast to ensure this happens which is good team management .

IÂ’m looking forward to seeing this squad of players next season . Fingers crossed that we are able to get into the stadium and really get behind KW and the Club

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I only watched the game live, but I had no idea Fages was our third biggest metre maker.
    The most crucial of those metres being the 10-15 he made on the 4th tackle at the end of the game. Without that run we'd have been nowhere near drop goal territory for Tommy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by h-bomb View Post
    The most crucial of those metres being the 10-15 he made on the 4th tackle at the end of the game. Without that run we'd have been nowhere near drop goal territory for Tommy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The run from Naiqama and the subsequent quick play the ball has been really overlooked

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Big question this is. I do think we will see Fage shift into the hooker role . IÂ’m not sure about Smith at 9 yet, Roby is gonna need a replacement/ support throughout the season . If Fage is not affective as a 9 replacement , his days may well be numbered if Dodd can show his worth !

Lees , IÂ’m confident will be stronger next season . On paper we look a quality squad however itÂ’s always a risk having change in mass . The positive is the squad is complete with a full pre season together . The club have acted fast to ensure this happens which is good team management .

IÂ’m looking forward to seeing this squad of players next season . Fingers crossed that we are able to get into the stadium and really get behind KW and the Club
    There’s also Josh Eaves in for a role at hooker. Although he hasn’t had the same opportunities as Aaron Smith he has looked pretty good when he’s stepped up.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    The run from Naiqama and the subsequent quick play the ball has been really overlooked
    You and h-bomb are totally right about Naiqama’s role in the try. With all the excitement of the kick and chase it’s too easy to forgot the build up and the will to win shown by all involved. They made their own luck starting with Lomax catching the ball and running so hard to make meters.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    There’s also Josh Eaves in for a role at hooker. Although he hasn’t had the same opportunities as Aaron Smith he has looked pretty good when he’s stepped up.
    I've always liked the look of Eaves, he has something about him. Not knocking Smith either but he does have a few issues regarding his tackling.

I think going forward we'll go with Fages and Eaves when the time comes for Roby to call it a day as I just don't see anyone else worth bothering with unless some NRL drop out becomes available.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I've always liked the look of Eaves, he has something about him. Not knocking Smith either but he does have a few issues regarding his tackling.

I think going forward we'll go with Fages and Eaves when the time comes for Roby to call it a day as I just don't see anyone else worth bothering with unless some NRL drop out becomes available.
    It’s such an important thing for us to get right. We’ve had at least one world class hooker in the team for 25 years. We may never have a hooker as good as Roby or Cunningham again and I think we have to be realistic about that but we can certainly use next season to find out whether Smith, Fages or Eaves look like they are capable of stepping up to 1st choice
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Our squad depth looks very strong for next season, we've got good enough quality to cover every position now. If our 3 new imports deliver and our 3 young ones progress further I don't see why we can't do the triple champions achievement.

For the players I should imagine the Challenge Cup is a high priority, a few players have already mentioned it.

Learning All The Songs

Squad looking good. Just want to see Dodd given much more gametime next season. Fages still not good enough for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    It’s such an important thing for us to get right. We’ve had at least one world class hooker in the team for 25 years. We may never have a hooker as good as Roby or Cunningham again and I think we have to be realistic about that but we can certainly use next season to find out whether Smith, Fages or Eaves look like they are capable of stepping up to 1st choice
    Absolutely. It's easily as important as getting our halves right if not more so. The other thing being if we have Fages/Dodd on bench it gives options to change them around too.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 5th December 2020 at 14:55. Reason: Brad Singleton having made more knock on's than meter's

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Absolutely. It's easily as important as getting our halves right if not more so. The other thing being if we have Fages/Dodd on bench it gives options to change them around too.
    Exactly,we are going to have to carry a replacement hooker as i can't see anyone doing the 80 like Roby can do

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Exactly,we are going to have to carry a replacement hooker as i can't see anyone doing the 80 like Roby can do
    Agreed, we will need to do that in a year or two. Most games I would like to see us doing it now rather than flog Roby. That and resting him against the likes of Wakey, may give us that second year from Roby.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I know some people take no notice of squad numbers but I am happy to see Knowles with 13 on his back and I’m made up for Bentley too getting a “starting” number.

For the first time in a long time I’d say the 1-17 on paper is how we’d more than likely line up at full strength. I have heard Woolf talk about the “14 role” a few times and I think Matautia being given that number is a nod to the fact he will likely be predominantly a bench player with Thompson and Bentley getting the starting positions at 2nd row.
    I'd like to see the 14 role/utility being a battle between Welsby, Dodd & Smith. All 3 have now had SL experience and given Saints seem settled with their recruitment for next year, it's down to these three to be putting pressure on the established pivots at the club. I know Stiddy has shown the stats to say Saints had the best attack overall last season, but I don't think many would argue that in the arm wrestle games, the attack has struggled for ideas. Coote will be in last year of his contract, Lomax in his 30's, Roby coming towards the end of his career and Fages hasn't really proven that he is one to build a team around.

The coach has said that Mata’utia will play in the forwards, so could spell Thompson, Knowles or Bentley (if not start over either). Then it's Paasi plus LMS or Amor fighting for the final bench spot. That's how I'd go anyway.

Regards,

STEVO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Squad looking good. Just want to see Dodd given much more gametime next season. Fages still not good enough for me.
    I agrre with this. I have always been a big fages fan but last year he was just average at best and at time we really needed a 7 to step up he was no were to be seen. Against lesser teams id pick dodd at 7 for experiance and game time. Until he is ready to play wigan wire on regular basis