Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next years squad

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Default Next years squad

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/12/0...bers-revealed/

Thats a strong looking squad!! Im usually quite relieved when the season ends but Im actually looking forward to next year.
    If we are well coached theirs foundations there for a strong future.

The start of a dynasty??
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

That 1-13 is superb.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Hopefully Paasi brings some good impact off the bench. Hopefully Lees steps up now with a strong pre season. I was unsure where Matautia would fit in but he will be good cover for any injuries to back rowers or centres.
    I still have my doubts over Thompson simply because he’s been around a while and picked up a few injuries through his career. He certainly has the pedigree i just hope he’s not over for the pension pot.

The big question to come out of next year is who will start creeping into Robys shirt? Dodd blooded at 7 with Fages switching to 9, or more games for Smith/Eaves??

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

The squad looks strong, we've lost a few good servants in Graham, Taia and Peyroux but have replaced really well providing the players settle in. We've also brought the average age down slightly. Thompson is 32 (although younger than the player he replaces) but the other three signings are all in their 20s with the best years ahead of them.

Paasi could be a crucial signing if he can provide the impact he had shown in spells in the NRL. You never know what you're going to get with South Sea Islanders, but the fact our coach is the Tongan coach will hopefully provide all the motivation he needs to do well for us.

Taia was awesome for us and was still at the top of his game so he's difficult to replace but from what I've seen of Thompson he looks about as good a replacement we could've found. Very commited player, strong runner and tough defender.

Mata'utia is a good replacement for Peyroux who was a bit part player under Woolf really and Norman is a project who will replace Ashworth, who barely played.

We've retained all our key players such as Coote, Lomax, Roby and Walmsley and Percy will be fully fit next season. We also have a good crop of young players in Welsby, Dodd, Smith and Batchelor who will play their part too. A very well balanced squad, well capable of more trophies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    The squad looks strong, we've lost a few good servants in Graham, Taia and Peyroux but have replaced really well providing the players settle in. We've also brought the average age down slightly. Thompson is 32 (although younger than the player he replaces) but the other three signings are all in their 20s with the best years ahead of them.

Paasi could be a crucial signing if he can provide the impact he had shown in spells in the NRL. You never know what you're going to get with South Sea Islanders, but the fact our coach is the Tongan coach will hopefully provide all the motivation he needs to do well for us.

Taia was awesome for us and was still at the top of his game so he's difficult to replace but from what I've seen of Thompson he looks about as good a replacement we could've found. Very commited player, strong runner and tough defender.

Mata'utia is a good replacement for Peyroux who was a bit part player under Woolf really and Norman is a project who will replace Ashworth, who barely played.

We've retained all our key players such as Coote, Lomax, Roby and Walmsley and Percy will be fully fit next season. We also have a good crop of young players in Welsby, Dodd, Smith and Batchelor who will play their part too. A very well balanced squad, well capable of more trophies.
    Speaking of Taia, i don’t think he got enough credit for his performance in the grand final. He seemed to be involved in everything. Our second rowers kicked arse last Friday.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

He's been absolutely fantastic, we did very well to get him as part of the greenwood deal, one contributing 38 metres in the grand final, one going for 139 metres..

He genuinely is a tribute to himself, to still be pulling those performances at his age is outstanding. He's up there with our best kiwis we've signed

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    He's been absolutely fantastic, we did very well to get him as part of the greenwood deal, one contributing 38 metres in the grand final, one going for 139 metres..

He genuinely is a tribute to himself, to still be pulling those performances at his age is outstanding. He's up there with our best kiwis we've signed
    Yeh mate, kudos to him retiring now because i think he could go around 1 more year, for somebody if not us. I was gutted when we lost Greenwood but from the looks of it he only has 2 decent games a year (against us unfortunately). Taia turned out to be a very good player. He turned out to be everything i was hoping from Willi Manu. No disrespect to Manu btw.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

I think a lot of credit has to go to Holbrook. I don't want to turn this into a Cunningham/Holbrook thread, but KC didn't know how to use Taia when he arrived.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Speaking of Taia, i don’t think he got enough credit for his performance in the grand final. He seemed to be involved in everything. Our second rowers kicked arse last Friday.
    100%, they were both very, very good. Fair play to Taia, he's retiring on his own terms and as a champion but I think he could have done another season.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    I think a lot of credit has to go to Holbrook. I don't want to turn this into a Cunningham/Holbrook thread, but KC didn't know how to use Taia when he arrived.
    Probably not mate. The sad thing is, i don’t think Cunningham’s tactics were all that different from Woolfs. The only difference is that players get picked on form these days, whereas Cunningham guaranteed his favourites a shirt and threw the kids under the bus.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Over the past couple of seasons I thought he started to look jaded toward the back end and I envisaged the same this year, but his last two games were probably two of his best all season. I just don't think that recently, he saw enough ball running the LH channel, though that was not his fault.

In The West Stand

I think one thing not mentioned is that the club should be commended for getting their business done so effectively in this really difficult year. The Aussies don’t hang around and are in different circumstances, and you can see the difficulty it is causing some of our rivals (Hull throwing frankly silly money at Marshall and still couldnt get him over for example). Not sure if Wigan are done (depends on George Burgess I believe) but literally every other club are still recruiting and anyone from Aus now are going to be able to go for massive overs I think, whilst we have our feet up, get the team into pre season and can start planning for 2021.

Still some questions in the squad, but should still be really capable of competing on all fronts. I too am excited to see Paasi in particular add yet another gut punch to our arsenal.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Where did you get the match stats from? I looked on the Betfred Super League site and can't find the full stats.
    You do realise that Greenwood only played 27 minutes though. That stat is on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Where did you get the match stats from? I looked on the Betfred Super League site and can't find the full stats.
    You do realise that Greenwood only played 27 minutes though. That stat is on there.
    You search for the stats to prove your point, grandad privet peeper. Its a saints forum. We’ll type what we want, verified or not.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

https://www.rugby-league.com/match_report/133448

The fact greenwood is only playing 27 minutes tells you all you need to know about his form

Banned

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is Woolf working with a team he's had time to embed ideas into and with more personnel of his choosing.

The fact greenwood is only playing 27 minutes tells you all you need to know about his form
    Don’t explain yourself to him mate. I was gutted when Greenwood left but the club did well getting shut. He went to Leeds and they soon sent him packing and Lams obviously not overly impressed with him. Same with that other lad whose mam come on here shouting at us that time. I can’t remember his name. Maybe if their attitudes were a bit better they would still be at a top club now, instead of Wigan and wherever

Taia was brilliant for us, he’s the one that’s the most difficult to replace

I saw that Isa missed 10 tackles in the GF, a lot of that will be down to Taia dominating that side of the field. I wish we’d had him at the club for longer

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Don’t explain yourself to him mate. I was gutted when Greenwood left but the club did well getting shut. He went to Leeds and they soon sent him packing and Lams obviously not overly impressed with him. Same with that other lad whose mam come on here shouting at us that time. I can’t remember his name. Maybe if their attitudes were a bit better they would still be at a top club now, instead of Wigan and wherever
    Savelio?
    IMO Greenwood put too much weight on when he went down under.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I know some people take no notice of squad numbers but I am happy to see Knowles with 13 on his back and I’m made up for Bentley too getting a “starting” number.

For the first time in a long time I’d say the 1-17 on paper is how we’d more than likely line up at full strength. I have heard Woolf talk about the “14 role” a few times and I think Matautia being given that number is a nod to the fact he will likely be predominantly a bench player with Thompson and Bentley getting the starting positions at 2nd row.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Hopefully Paasi brings some good impact off the bench. Hopefully Lees steps up now with a strong pre season. I was unsure where Matautia would fit in but he will be good cover for any injuries to back rowers or centres.
    I still have my doubts over Thompson simply because he’s been around a while and picked up a few injuries through his career. He certainly has the pedigree i just hope he’s not over for the pension pot.

The big question to come out of next year is who will start creeping into Robys shirt? Dodd blooded at 7 with Fages switching to 9, or more games for Smith/Eaves??
    I’d say out of the 3 NRL signings we have made, Thompson is the one I have least doubts about in terms of his attitude, application and commitment. He’s a model professional by all accounts and I’ve not heard a bad word about him from any player, coach or fan over there. He comes across as someone who prides himself on giving 100% and his attitude seems top class. He’s also a very reliable and durable player, averaging over 20 games a season in the NRL for the last 7 or 8 years.

As I say, he’s probably the “safest” of all of our signings, if that’s the right word.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Hold the phone, he's the new Paul Sironen. Bellend.

Banned

[QUOTE=Rogues Gallery;809660]Where did you get the match stats from? I looked on the Betfred Super League site and can't find the full stats.
    You do realise that Greenwood only played 27 minutes though. That stat is on there.[/QUOTE

We just make them up, it gets you out of the zimmer and on the keyboard. The six figured shuffle we call it.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Thank you, that's all I asked for.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Some great efforts there. Collectively the backs worked really hard to get us going forward with Walmsley and Graham struggling with injuries.

Coote: 146 metres, 20 carries
    Makinson: 143 metres, 21 carries
    Naquima: 113 metres, 11 carries
    Grace: 172 metres, 17 carries
    Lomax: 198 metres, 28 carries
    Fages: 150 metres, 21 carries
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 4th December 2020 at 22:51.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V