Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Teams next year

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

A breakdown of all the moves so far is in here- https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...he-2021-season

Since this, I see Joe Burgess has been confirmed for Salford and being reported Josh Reynolds is signing for Hull FC.

Regards,

STEVO
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 6th December 2020 at 16:45.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    A breakdown of all the moves so far is in here- https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...he-2021-season

Since this, I see Joe Burgess has been confirmed for Salford and being reported Josh Reynolds is signing for Hull FC.

Regards,

STEVO
    Any thoughts on which teams you think have done good business and which may slip back?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Any thoughts on which teams you think have done good business and which may slip back?
    Good Business: Us

Poor Business: Everyone else

Banned

I think Catalans are in for a tough season, I see them going backwards. Leeds will make a signing and perhaps a big one, I see Luke Thompson either at Gold Coast or Leeds. Honestly I think we look strong, Simm and Welsby will be buzzing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Good Business: Us

Poor Business: Everyone else
    I hope you are right, especially concerning them over the hill.

Banned

I hope you are right, especially concerning them over the hill.
    They're probably next best and next best team but apart from us and them I can't see anything to be bothered about.

They're probably next best and next best team but apart from us and them I can't see anything to be bothered about.
    Yeh I think you are right.

Starting A Programme Collection

Saints to win the treble next year

Wigan
    Leeds
    Hull
    Wire to regress into the abyss. ( not because I don’t like em , but I think they have had their good years and not able to take advantage of them in terms of winning a GF )

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

I think Josh Reynolds to Hull is good business, whether it's enough, not sure, but if Hodgson can change the culture at the codheads, they could be competitive.
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

A breakdown of all the moves so far is in here- https://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...he-2021-season...
    I know there's still room for more movement, and it's a later start to the new season, but it seems to me to be a net reduction in SL players across the board. Lots of belt tightening going on, or am I just imagining this? I guess the article doesn't show new kids stepping up from within?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsaregods View Post
    I think Josh Reynolds to Hull is good business, whether it's enough, not sure, but if Hodgson can change the culture at the codheads, they could be competitive.
    Hull signing 30 something Aussies; some things never change. Their record of promoting local players through their academy is appalling for a team of their size and potential.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Hull signing 30 something Aussies; some things never change. Their record of promoting local players through their academy is appalling for a team of their size and potential.
    Agree about the academy but I was talking about Reynolds and Hodgson.

I think you'd have to say Wigan have recruited very well and will be stronger next season. They aren't really losing anyone who will be missed too much- Liam Marshall is just as dangerous if not more than J Burgess has been over the past couple of years. John Bateman has proved himself one of the best second-row forwards in the sport and is coming back from the NRL with an enhanced reputation. Field is a really exciting signing, he's an X factor player and teams will now not only have to worry about French out the back, but also Field who is another who once he gets on the outside shoulder, he's gone. I think Wigan had planned Field to be a replacement for either French or Hastings, so to have all 3 available... there's some creativity there. If they can find a solution either way for G Burgess, that will help them also.

I think Saints have the most strength in depth overall, though I perhaps wonder as I've alluded to in the thread about the squad numbers, if it was time to look at freshening up the pivots, especially the halves or looking for a speedy interchange hooker. Fans will be hoping a combination of Welsby, Dodd or Smith may be the ones to provide this spark given the opportunity.

As for Warrington, there's talk of Widdop wanting to return to the NRL. So that may disrupt them somewhat in terms of having to find a new half, but with the emergence of Matty Ashton, Ratchford could move up in to the halves. Inglis could even play in there with Austin being the lead. I think they'll look to do more business as well before the season starts.

I'm sure Leeds will do some business and they've shown that they're prepared to be ruthless with recruitment after what they did with Lolohea and they will pay transfer fees too. Sean Long's influence on their attack will be interesting to watch.

I think Evalds will make a difference for Cas, giving them the speed at the back they've been missing since Hardaker was there. Eden is more comfortable on the wing I think.

I do think the signing of Josh Reynold's by Hull FC is a risk because he tends to spend plenty of time on the treatment table or suspended even.

Regards,

STEVO

I think you'd have to say Wigan have recruited very well and will be stronger next season. They aren't really losing anyone who will be missed too much- Liam Marshall is just as dangerous if not more than J Burgess has been over the past couple of years. John Bateman has proved himself one of the best second-row forwards in the sport and is coming back from the NRL with an enhanced reputation. Field is a really exciting signing, he's an X factor player and teams will now not only have to worry about French out the back, but also Field who is another who once he gets on the outside shoulder, he's gone. I think Wigan had planned Field to be a replacement for either French or Hastings, so to have all 3 available... there's some creativity there. If they can find a solution either way for G Burgess, that will help them also.

I think Saints have the most strength in depth overall, though I perhaps wonder as I've alluded to in the thread about the squad numbers, if it was time to look at freshening up the pivots, especially the halves or looking for a speedy interchange hooker. Fans will be hoping a combination of Welsby, Dodd or Smith may be the ones to provide this spark given the opportunity.

As for Warrington, there's talk of Widdop wanting to return to the NRL. So that may disrupt them somewhat in terms of having to find a new half, but with the emergence of Matty Ashton, Ratchford could move up in to the halves. Inglis could even play in there with Austin being the lead. I think they'll look to do more business as well before the season starts.

I'm sure Leeds will do some business and they've shown that they're prepared to be ruthless with recruitment after what they did with Lolohea and they will pay transfer fees too. Sean Long's influence on their attack will be interesting to watch too.

I think Evalds will make a difference for Cas, giving them the speed at the back they've been missing since Hardaker was there. Eden is more comfortable on the wing I think.

I do think the signing of Josh Reynold's by Hull FC is a risk because he tends to spend plenty of time on the treatment table or suspended even.

Regards,

STEVO
    So Jai Field who has played 17 games in 4 years is an X factor player but Reynolds, who has played for Australia, state of origin and grand finals is a risk. I’m beginning to think you really are Stevo.

Got A Season Ticket

So Jai Field who has played 17 games in 4 years is an X factor player but Reynolds, who has played for Australia, state of origin and grand finals is a risk. I’m beginning to think you really are Stevo.
    Jai Field is a poor mans Adam Quinlan

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    Pretty much this. Way everyone is going on about him, you'd think it was Tedesco they'd signed

You understand Field is only 23 don't you? I think he'll go on and do what Dufty has, who came through at the same time. Given the opportunity to play his natural game he'll cause problems because of his speed and evasiveness. Especially with the new rules.

With respect to Reynolds he's 31 and his best days are long gone. He proved a poor signing for West's.

Of course only time will tell who proves the better signing in SL, but I know who my money is on.

Regards,

STEVO

You understand Field is only 23 don't you? I think he'll go on and do what Dufty has, who came through at the same time. Given the opportunity to play his natural game he'll cause problems because of his speed and evasiveness. Especially with the new rules.

With respect to Reynolds he's 31 and his best days are long gone. He proved a poor signing for West's.

Of course only time will tell who proves the better signing in SL, but I know who my money is on.

Regards,

STEVO
    You understand that you’re not Stevo don’t you? Yes, time will tell, I’m sure that’s why Field is coming to the UK, him being so highly regarded.

Regards

Me (the real one)

Banned

You understand that you’re not Stevo don’t you? Yes, time will tell, I’m sure that’s why Field is coming to the UK, him being so highly regarded.

Regards

Me (the real one)
    He/She really is cringeworthy.

Learning All The Songs

Also thinking the same about Lees.
    I think we all are behind him to have a big season next year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    That was my thoughts another Adam Quinlan, someone to run at near the line.

Got A Season Ticket

Saints
    Wigan
    Cas
    Hull
    Warrington

Be great if we're allowed to watch live rugby again missed going a lot to be honest

He/She really is cringeworthy.
    Yeah, one weirdo is enough for any forum, I also question the wisdom of letting them stay up that late on the ward.

Learning All The Songs

Regards,

STEVO
    What evidence is there that Field could go on similar to how Dufty has, because one is an NRL regular and the other has played 17 games in 4 years at 2 different clubs, or is that just a completely uneducated guess?

Of course its easier to back a ‘buy low’ signing to be better value, there is far less pressure on them, its not like hes going to have to run a side like Reynolds is at Hull, the expectation between the 2 players is completely different and they cant be compared effectively.

Banned

I'm sure Leeds will do some business and they've shown that they're prepared to be ruthless with recruitment after what they did with Lolohea and they will pay transfer fees too. Sean Long's influence on their attack will be interesting to watch.

Regards,

STEVO
    Excuse me for being underwhelmed by a player who is 23 and has played barely 20 NRL games. Its hardly an exciting signing. It may work out but it can hardly be touted as a Jamie Lyon type signing. These should be the players the Super League should be ignoring not recruiting.