Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Teams next year

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    2 years left on a marquee money deal. That’s a lot of money to walk away from.
    I was told on Saturday that he has to retire for the good of his own health, basically he needs a hip replacement.

I think it'll be covered by his/Wigans insurance. Didn't that happen to Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis and in Inglis's case is the reason he can't play again in Australia?

As for the size of the forwards Byrne is 6'3", Kilner 6'4", and Havard 6'4. Both Byrne and Kilver are over 17 stone. Havard would have walked young player of the year had sadly he got injured.
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 3rd December 2020 at 12:21.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I was told on Saturday that he has to retire for the good of his own health, basically he needs a hip replacement.

I think it'll be covered by his/Wigans insurance. Didn't that happen to Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis and in Inglis's case is the reason he can't play again in Australia?

As for the size of the forwards Byrne is 6'3", Kilner 6'4", and Havard 6'4. Both Byrne and Kilver are over 17 stone. Havard would have walked young player of the year had sadly he not got injured.
    In the NRL players can retire on medical grounds if the NRL approves so they can be paid out without it affecting the salary cap. It sure how it works in super league but it’s going to cost Wigan to get rid of him either way surely.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

As for the size of the forwards Byrne is 6'3", Kilner 6'4", and Havard 6'4. Both Byrne and Kilver are over 17 stone. Havard would have walked young player of the year had sadly he not got injured.
    Byrne is a pudding, looks thick as a plank. Never forget his stunned face when he got a pasting of Thompson and Walmsley. Havard looks good. Partington has got dog in the pack but Smithies has regressed by trying to be a 'hard man' instead of just playing rugby. Maybe his runners up medal will be a confidence boost.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Byrne is a pudding, looks thick as a plank. Never forget his stunned face when he got a pasting of Thompson and Walmsley. Havard looks good. Partington has got dog in the pack but Smithies has regressed by trying to be a 'hard man' instead of just playing rugby. Maybe his runners up medal will be a confidence boost.
    Byrne was only 19 then, he played open age when he was 16, he's a tough young lad. He's struggling at present with the after effects of covid, if he can overcome that he'll be o.k.

Banned

The key to all this is who gets snared by the NRL. I can't see WIgan keeping Partington, Smithies, Havard and everyone else and likewise Dodd and Lees will surely attract interest if they kick on next season. Its a sad fact but the game here is under threat by the NRL in my opinion. It makes having a strong commercial profile more important than ever.

Banned

I think it'll be covered by his/Wigans insurance. Didn't that happen to Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis and in Inglis's case is the reason he can't play again in Australia? It wont be covered by his! He will want a full pay off, part insurance, major part severance. Option 2 is he picks up the money like Perry did to us.

You would have walked to the paper shop if it hadn't been raining. Still celebrating 1971 all over again! The perennial cheats. Even PIESKY couldnt win it for you.

Starting A Programme Collection

I do think with Bateman and IF (big if I've never seen him play) Field is any good Wigan are probably favourites with a younger forward pack but there won't be much in it at all. Our challenge is starting to change the pack (LMS, Roby, Amor, Thompson in 2) over the next 2 seasons whilst they'll be able to keep theirs together for a few years yet but as always with us there will be some good lads coming through I'm sure.

The fact we can sit here with a very good chance of winning a third in a row is credit to the club and their requirement plans/strategy in the last few years. Normally sides struggle to back up due to squad changes, ageing squads etc.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

On paper it could be the most competitive season we've had for a while. Not the best in terms of overall quality but that can be made up for in engaging games and a few big sides all being in with a shout. Us and Wigan will go into the season thinking of winning both big pots and Wire and Leeds will be closer IMO than some give them credit for. Hull, Huddersfield and Catalans will all think they could/should make the 6 and I'm looking forward to next season more than I've looked forward to one in a good while. I lived away from the North West for from 2009-2019 and had to pick and choose my games, but then once I was back I couldn't go to any. I think I'll be a regular in 2021 and I'm looking forward to it.

On the down side, I just can't get beyond this play-off decision they made. Top 6 with the Top 2 only getting one life was okay this season given the shortened nature, but after a 27 game season it doesn't offer enough reward for me, and it's actually more unfair than the Top 8 system we had which at least allowed the Top 4 another life if they lost their first game. For all the competitiveness at the top of the table that nagging feeling that we're slogging through 6 months to get to a crapshoot in September will always be in my head.

Burgess must have known how bad his injury was.

Looks to me like he has signed a marquee deal to take Wigan/insurers to the cleaners......

Let’s hope he is adequately insured, because Wigan paying him off with a roll of carpet, packet of mint balls and free pies for the rest of his life plus free membership at DW Sports Gym for he and his family and the promise of a free wedding reception/christening in the spare room at Wigan Athletic’s ground isn’t gonna be enough to get rid....

Pretty much a shoe-in for a job at Sky though.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection

As for the size of the forwards Byrne is 6'3", Kilner 6'4", and Havard 6'4. Both Byrne and Kilver are over 17 stone. Havard would have walked young player of the year had sadly he got injured.

You need to start playing these guys in the big games then, tbh greenwood and clubb are heavy enough in club's case a but too heavy but neither make much yardage ball in hand.

I was impressed by wigans defence and fitness , I must say but they don't have many if any forwards I would swop for ours

Banned

I'm trying to work out how Wigan have managed their cap. Fat Burgess, Hastings, French, Field, Gildart, Joe Burgess and Bateman?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm trying to work out how Wigan have managed their cap. Fat Burgess, Hastings, French, Field, Gildart, Joe Burgess and Bateman?
    Well Burgess (useless forward one ) is probably marquee as will be Bateman i would imagine. Not sure French would be on a huge amount as he wasn't a regular and the same probably applies to Field. Winger Burgess is moving on isn't he ?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Dont forget Hardaker, he’ll be on good money as well, they already have 2 Marquee players in Hastings and the fat pudding Burgess, how are they going to fit Bateman in as well, he’ll be on big money next year.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

George Burgess, O'Loughlin, Joe Burgess, Ben Flower, Morgan Escare, Romain Navarrette, Jack Wells, Hankinson, Clarke, Josh Woods and maybe a couple more all set to leave. No reserves next season so maybe a few more?

Just seen this on RL fans.
    Harry Rushton (Canberra Raiders), Craig Mullen, Ben Flower (both Leigh Centurions), Nathan Wilde (Newcastle Thunder), Max Roberts, James Barran, Ben Holcroft (all Oldham), Sean O'Loughlin (retired).

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Well Burgess (useless forward one ) is probably marquee as will be Bateman i would imagine. Not sure French would be on a huge amount as he wasn't a regular and the same probably applies to Field. Winger Burgess is moving on isn't he ?
    Yep gone to Salford. G Burgess and Bateman are both Marquees (150k cap each) with Hastings on a probably the same cap wise ish. Hardaker signed whilst still banned and on last chance saloon. The rest won’t be on huge sums, and their squad is bolstered by young kids on next to nothing (wasn’t Joe Burgess on 9k a year for the year he broke through). Nothing seems hugely unreasonable and very comparable to the Saints squad (though we don’t use the marquee rule at the moment).

It’s Warrington that always baffles me - rather than kids they have people bought in like Gelling and Davis who will be no where near as cheap as the Saints/ Wigan kids (nor as effective)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    Warrington and Leeds the obvious 2x
    Leeds can always do something but next year I just don't see it.

Hull, will they ever have a consistent season?

Salford I worry for now Watson has gone.
    Be really interesting to see how Huddersfield get on.

Also for whatever reason think Cas may fall off a little next year

8th from 11 this year how far do you think they will fall?

Banned

It'd be a genuine shame if porky Georgie had to retire...

...and so freed up a chunk of salary cap for the scum.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    If Saints and Wigan carry on they way they both have and the end of the year

Can anyone else live with them?

As much as I want to beat Wigan. It is good to have the competition with them. They are gonna be a tough proposition with Bateman back.

Saints are in a great position with new signings and youngsters pushing for places now.

Does anyone else feel Saints and Wigan could be a class above next year?
    The way the squads are at this point I don't see anyone living with the two of us, with us having the edge on them. Still a long time for the Goons and others to announce squad strengthenings. Lam as miserable as he is, did improve them last year, any further improvement and we could be neck and neck. What concerns me with Wigan is the pace with their outside back and more worryingly is that they see the ball. Whoever else anyone signs, I can't see past us and them for 1 and 2. Then we get to the joke of a playoff where a team in 6th can string together a couple of good games and end up champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The way the squads are at this point I don't see anyone living with the two of us, with us having the edge on them. Still a long time for the Goons and others to announce squad strengthenings. Lam as miserable as he is, did improve them last year, any further improvement and we could be neck and neck. What concerns me with Wigan is the pace with their outside back and more worryingly is that they see the ball. Whoever else anyone signs, I can't see past us and them for 1 and 2. Then we get to the joke of a playoff where a team in 6th can string together a couple of good games and end up champions.
    I hope we can put this challenge cup drought to bed to be honest. That would be my priority for next season

As for SL, I think Wigan will do it next year unfortunately

Learning All The Songs

Reading Karl Fitzpatrick's interview today I think Warrington are in danger of drifting backwards, he's saying all the same things he said last year about how their defence in on a par with Saints and Wigan (not convinced) and they just need more attacking options despite all the money they've spent on that. I'm not sure publicly criticising Price (again), Widdop and Austin is going to help things and ignores their deficiencies up front. Maybe Butler will turn out to be a gem but if they end up relying on Hill et al again at the business end it'll be the same story.

It'll be interesting to see how Huddersfield progress under Watson. They've got some superb youngsters and are already capable of putting in some really good performances. Hull - toss a coin, but they're plenty good enough to take a top four spot. Leeds have a seriously ordinary squad despite the cup win and can see them in a mid-table battle with Catalans and Cas for sixth.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Saints / Wigan / Huddersfield / Hull top four. Difficult to say what our performances will be like though given the new faces but they all look decent signings and have brought the age of the squad down. Looking forward to it already!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I hope we can put this challenge cup drought to bed to be honest. That would be my priority for next season

I think the nature of Wigans defeat this year is going to be some monkey to get off their back. Come the big games & all those negative thoughts will come flooding back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

A 17th July Final means the Cup will rightly be a priority in the first half of the season and won’t get in the way of the end of the SL a season. I like it better this way, with the Cup in the first four months of the season then the last couple of months all about the play off race.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    A 17th July Final means the Cup will rightly be a priority in the first half of the season and won’t get in the way of the end of the SL a season. I like it better this way, with the Cup in the first four months of the season then the last couple of months all about the play off race.
    Providing they get a grip on Covid and it doesn't balls the season up again but I agree with your sentiment.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It took them far too long to bring that date earlier. I think at one time it was only 4 weeks from the CC final then it went into the play offs, were the Saints the first team to win the CC and GF in that short time scale.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    It took them far too long to bring that date earlier. I think at one time it was only 4 weeks from the CC final then it went into the play offs, were the Saints the first team to win the CC and GF in that short time scale.
    Agreed, and it allowed Sky to talk down the Cup as those two blank weekends for Sky in August in the last 6-8 weeks of the SL season really got on their nerves for some reason. Having it as the big comp and the big Final in the first half of the season will hopefully encourage more people to go to Cup games and turn out in big numbers for the Semi’s and Final as well, because I think for some going to the Grand Final became their big day out and the Cup Final was too close for them to want to do both.