Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Teams next year

Learning All The Songs

Default Teams next year

If Saints and Wigan carry on they way they both have and the end of the year

Can anyone else live with them?

As much as I want to beat Wigan. It is good to have the competition with them. They are gonna be a tough proposition with Bateman back.

Saints are in a great position with new signings and youngsters pushing for places now.

Does anyone else feel Saints and Wigan could be a class above next year?

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    If Saints and Wigan carry on they way they both have and the end of the year

Can anyone else live with them?

As much as I want to beat Wigan. It is good to have the competition with them. They are gonna be a tough proposition with Bateman back.

Saints are in a great position with new signings and youngsters pushing for places now.

Does anyone else feel Saints and Wigan could be a class above next year?
    I think 2021 is definitely 100% Warrington’s year.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Bradford?

The usual suspect will be there or thereabouts.
    I'm always puzzled by Hull though. I imagine them as a sleeping giant, but they never seem to really wake up!

Learning All The Songs

Warrington and Leeds the obvious 2x
    Leeds can always do something but next year I just don't see it.

Hull, will they ever have a consistent season?

Salford I worry for now Watson has gone.
    Be really interesting to see how Huddersfield get on.

Also for whatever reason think Cas may fall off a little next year

In The West Stand

Think there’s still a lot of recruitment going on for next season. With the later start date and uncertainty that the clubs have faced I think the circus is still going. It’s interesting Wigan are trying to offload 3 or 4 so be interesting to see if they’re still trying to recruit as well. A lot will depend on if they can find a way to shuffle lumpy George Burgess our the door. Warringtons righteous morals with Gelling kicked in as soon as there wasn’t a trophy to be won (or they couldn’t figure out how to offload Widdop). Leeds will do their usual of “leaking” rumours they’re talking to the Australia national team only to sign some mate of Sinfields from Featherstone and Hull are the mystery that keeps on giving (much like Catalans).

I’m happy Saints have done their recruitment early this year and seem to have been very effective. I wonder if we will see some cheeky bids for our players/ loans over the coming months as teams like Salford and Hull KR (and the mystery 12th team) become more desperate. Huddersfield seem to have decided to throw money around as well

Learning All The Songs

I think it will be between us and Wigan, with Warrington pushing behind. I dont rate Leeds, they are too one dimensional and if you keep Hurrell quiet then you are likely to win, all their attacking play near the line seems based around him, either running through his opposite number or drawing players in for his winger. Hull, Catalan and Huddersfield are a complete lottery, if Cas start next season how they finished this one they will be crap, as for Hull kr, Walkefield and the 12th team i dint think they would be much, Salford are a complete mystery.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I think we might see Leeds stepping up a bit above Warrington if Longy has influence on Agar. Saints , Wigan and Warrington still the teams to beat,

If our new signings are a success and we get Dodd, Simm and Welsby more game time we should be stronger more so if Percival is fully recovered, we've missed his attacking prowess this season.

Learning All The Songs

Catalan may have something up their sleeve Casty & Moa gone. Casty wanting to stay on, they could have offered a reduced deal and kept him there. A big name aussie forward and another, project/injured looking for another chance, with him.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Catalan may have something up their sleeve Casty & Moa gone. Casty wanting to stay on, they could have offered a reduced deal and kept him there. A big name aussie forward and another, project/injured looking for another chance, with him.
    I think they’re cost cutting due to Covid, rather than funding another Aussie holiday

Banned

I don't think Huddersfield will win it next year but I think they'll make their voices heard. Watson is a very good coach and there is a lot more to work with at the Giants than at Salford.

Warrington will flatter to deceive, playing some reasonably good stuff for a while but then fall off the edge when the playoffs come around. Leeds could have a bigger say. I expect Cas to be competitive. Dragons too but similar to Warrington. There's always the possibility of someone catching a cold in a playoff match but I think Saints and Wigan are significantly ahead of the rest and that isn't going to change soon. A lot is being made of Wigan's signings but I'm really excited to see us again now that Woolf will have had time to mould the team to his liking and will have more of his chosen personnel.

My fear for next year is the team that takes Toronto's place. Going up at the last minute, with a reduced budget suggests they're on a hiding to nothing. A team getting smashed every week is no good for anybody.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I am glad Wigan have extended Lam's contract as they will be exactly the same as this year. We on the other hand will only improve with a more powerful pack and hopefully Dodd in at 7 to at least massively improve the kicking game.

The rest nowhere unless as above Hull wake up.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I am glad Wigan have extended Lam's contract as they will be exactly the same as this year. We on the other hand will only improve with a more powerful pack and hopefully Dodd in at 7 to at least massively improve the kicking game.

The rest nowhere unless as above Hull wake up.
    It is unlikely anyone will compete with us and Wigan based on the last few games .

Lamb deserves a contract for what he has achieved with that set of players . He has done a good job . Like you say , we know what we are gonna get . The problem we have with mass signings is we donÂ’t know what we are going to get . We have gone backwards in attack , no question . Will bringing in these new players along with KW Style make us stronger ? Well know body knows . What we can say is the teams in SL are in a different league than Us and Wigan and even if we donÂ’t improve from this year we should bring home some silverware . I am excited about next season to see Woolf with his own team .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Leeds are a bit of an unknown, depends a lot on how some of their younger players kick on as they’ve not made any signings I don’t think. Hull, Wire and Catalan have got the squads to challenge if they can keep key players fit and find a higher level of consistency. Post lockdown Saints and Wigan were head and shoulders above the rest though and with both teams strengthening it’s hard to look past those two sides. What will be key for us is how Thompson settles in. Paasi has a fairly simple job up the middle and Mata’utia will more than likely be a bench player. Taia has been excellent for us on that left hand side for several years now so how Thompson integrates in defence and attack will be crucial to how well we go next season, hopefully Percival gets a good pre season under his belt and comes back 100% as well.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Leeds are a bit of an unknown, depends a lot on how some of their younger players kick on as they’ve not made any signings I don’t think. Hull, Wire and Catalan have got the squads to challenge if they can keep key players fit and find a higher level of consistency. Post lockdown Saints and Wigan were head and shoulders above the rest though and with both teams strengthening it’s hard to look past those two sides. What will be key for us is how Thompson settles in. Paasi has a fairly simple job up the middle and Mata’utia will more than likely be a bench player. Taia has been excellent for us on that left hand side for several years now so how Thompson integrates in defence and attack will be crucial to how well we go next season, hopefully Percival gets a good pre season under his belt and comes back 100% as well.
    I actually think it’ll be Paasi who is the most decisive signing. If he settles in and turns out to be a really strong ball carrier then we’ll be difficult to live with, with both him and Walmsley in the 17. If he flops then we’ll have the same difficulty we sometimes had this year when we couldn’t get out of first gear when Walmsley was off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    I think 2021 is definitely 100% Warrington’s year.
    Mark my words its their year. I heard Fitzpyrick has already taken out the copyright for 2021.
    Year of the Wolfs.

Banned

My take on ranking of our challengers

Wigan
    Warrington

Leeds
    Catalans

Huddersfield
    Cas
    Hull

Warrington could go either way IMO. Theres big potential there for them to underwhelm next season.

I think we will go really well next year however a lot of it depends on how the overseas lads settle. I think Thompson will be fine, he will get stuck into the community activities, will love the fans and the atmospheres and he will be solid. It is the other two that I have my reservations over. The South Sea island lads can go two ways, you can get a diamond like Soliola or conversely you can get a FPN at Wigan who was the opposite of a wrecking ball and a complete flop.

Mata'utia is an enigma for me. On paper we have got a great signing. At 24 he has many years ahead of him. However the other side of me worries why he is being let go at 24 and none of the other NRL clubs have picked him up. Unless he is desperate to travel around Europe like Paulo was and off sightseeing every other weekend.

Dodd should be getting 12-15 games next season. At his age now, George Williams had played 58 games so he really needs to kick on. By all accounts Dodd is one of the best young talents to come through and at 15/16 was being talked about as one of the best ever young talents at that age, so he really needs a lot more game time next season.

Wigan will be there again. They are a tough, well structured drilled team. They have Bateman back next year, plus some speed in Field, and their young lads have another years experience. Havard is some talent, potentially another Luke Thompson and they will also have Marshall back. It will be interesting to see if they can get George Burgess off their wage bill (maybe by medical retirement) then they may even have the money to buy another prop.

Potentially Saints and Wigan could dominate like the Liverpool/City era now and formerly the Utd/Arsenal battles of the late 90s, early 2000s.

Leeds and Warrington potentially could spoil the party.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I actually think it’ll be Paasi who is the most decisive signing. If he settles in and turns out to be a really strong ball carrier then we’ll be difficult to live with, with both him and Walmsley in the 17. If he flops then we’ll have the same difficulty we sometimes had this year when we couldn’t get out of first gear when Walmsley was off.
    There was also in the last 3 games signs that Matty Lees was getting back to himself, bit more kg pre season and I reckon he will go up a notch next season.

In The South Stand

Interested to see how Wigan line up in the key positions with French, Field, Smith, Hastings, Leuluai (has he re-signed?) and Powell. I think they’ll go in as very close second favourites and if we get the better of them throughout the year, we should go in to the play-offs as league leaders.

I’m not bothered about Warrington. I think Price has about eight games to save his job. Their fans aren’t keen on him now and a poor start and he’s gone, I think. I think they’ve only got Inglis coming in and he’s not played for however long and technically retired on medical grounds (though that is questionable), so how he goes will be interesting. I think they could have something up their sleeve though if they manage to bin Widdop. That could change how they look somewhat but I’m not convinced in their pack beyond Clark and Philbin, who could well be off at the end of the year to Australia.

As for the rest, most, on their day, can beat anyone but I don’t think any will be particularly consistent.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Haven't warrington signed that prop from London? he is supposedly a good prospect.

They will be in the mix so will wigan, bateman is a really good player and they have some cracking youngsters plus good players in key positions in French and hastings

They are still a bit undersized in the pack and unless Burgess finds some form , I can see us overpowering them in big games with our new additions.

Leeds and Huddersfield should be good to watch, I think Watson is a top coach and he has some really good players there to work with

Catalans can beat anyone on their day but can also lose to anyone , plus they seem to have a coach who thinks high tackles and swinging arms are perfectly legal so I'm hoping they flop

Top four for me

Saints,wigan,wire,Huddersfield In that order

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Haven't warrington signed that prop from London? he is supposedly a good prospect.

They will be in the mix so will wigan, bateman is a really good player and they have some cracking youngsters plus good players in key positions in French and hastings

They are still a bit undersized in the pack and unless Burgess finds some form , I can see us overpowering them in big games with our new additions.

Leeds and Huddersfield should be good to watch, I think Watson is a top coach and he has some really good players there to work with

Catalans can beat anyone on their day but can also lose to anyone , plus they seem to have a coach who thinks high tackles and swinging arms are perfectly legal so I'm hoping they flop

Top four for me

Saints,wigan,wire,Huddersfield In that order
    I've seen a rumour about Burgess retiring due to a persistent hip injury

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    I've seen a rumour about Burgess retiring due to a persistent hip injury
    2 years left on a marquee money deal. That’s a lot of money to walk away from.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Duplicate .

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    There was also in the last 3 games signs that Matty Lees was getting back to himself, bit more kg pre season and I reckon he will go up a notch next season.
    Yeah, you're right. I've got high hopes for Lees next year.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    If Paasi can provide some oomph when Al goes off then we will be very hard to stop. Like you say Al goes off and we drop several gears.