Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashworth gone

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Ashworth gone

See Jack Ashworth finally confirmed to Huddersfield. Mixed feelings about this but he's certainly fell down the pecking order. Good Luck to him at Hudds.

Noooobie

I to Will miss Big Jack Ashworth Another One I feel We will Regret we let go time will tell.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    See Jack Ashworth finally confirmed to Huddersfield. Mixed feelings about this but he's certainly fell down the pecking order. Good Luck to him at Hudds.
    The Gary Wheeler of the pack. Had barely and handful of good games, usually off the back of Walmsley and Thompson having dominated. Was seen as having ‘potenshul’ off the back of a TV game at the might of Waskefield when the reality was there was never any real wvidence of much ability. Usually went missing in big games and his vanishing acts versus Warrington were on a par for world hide and seek champion.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    The Gary Wheeler of the pack. Had barely and handful of good games, usually off the back of Walmsley and Thompson having dominated. Usually went missing in big games and his canishing acts versus Warrington were on a par for world hide and seek champion.
    Very harsh and easier to say hiding behind a keyboard/mobile phone than to the lads face?

Think his off-field issues have led to the demise of his saints career rather than his on field.

Good luck to him at the giants, think he’ll do well for them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Let’s see if Watson can get any more out of him than we’ve seen so far. Had and maybe still has potential but, for whatever reasons, it wasn’t being realised at Saints. Seemed to be stuck somewhere between a prop and a 2nd row so be interesting to see where Watson plays him. 2 year contract so maybe if it all works out Watson can bring him back with him in a couple of years
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

I think a move may well be the making of him. Unfortunately, he doesn't appear to have fulfilled his potential with us. However, I don't think Saints will regret letting him go, as a poster suggested upthread

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Very harsh and easier to say hiding behind a keyboard/mobile phone than to the lads face?

Think his off-field issues have led to the demise of his saints career rather than his on field.

Its called having an opinion. What's he going to do, throw a big one for criticising his performance? Grow up, though I'll admit to been miffed when the same poster who keeps haunting every Ashworth post popped up to call the clubs judgement into question again. I'm not sure of one player who Saints ever let go recently who came back to bite us on the ass. As for Ashworth, he was'nt good enough, I saw little to ever justify the hype; he's 25 now not 20. Maybe Watson helps him but he should'nt be near the 17 at Saints and would'nt be anywhere near at at Wigan either. Stiddy's post below is about right.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 30th November 2020 at 12:45.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He had enough opportunities to challenge for a place but couldn't put 2 consecutive decent performances together to keep in the 17. When we lost Greenwood it was a mixed reaction if we should have let him go but with Ashworth I don't think he had too many backers to keep him in the squad.

However the move might do him good, where he can challenge in a team with a slightly lower acceptable standard.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 30th November 2020 at 12:42.

I'm absolutely fine with this. At the back end of 2018 he looked like, at the age of 23, he was finally beginning to fulfil his potential, but then he was back to being inconsistent again in 2019. He's 25 now and I think he would have done it for us already if he was ever going to do it.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

The problem for young forwards sometimes is the lack if availability of reserve football.

As we have seen a 19yr old three quarter or half back can make the transition from playing fir Under 19s to first team rugby but it's a different story for forwards

A forward can be 25 to 28 before he is ready to hold down a first team spot.

Sometimes they need to drop down a level then work there way back up

Quote Originally Posted by owl saint View Post
    I to Will miss Big Jack Ashworth Another One I feel We will Regret we let go time will tell.
    Echoing some of the other posts, who have we regretted letting go recently (Thommo notwithstanding)

Savelio? Greenwood? Richardson? Matty Smith perhaps?? I thought we should have kept Luke Walsh at the time but his spell at Catalans and subsequent retirement proved he was spent.

Kyle Eastmond? Glad to be rid in the end. Jamie Foster? Shenton? Flanagan? Turner?
    You could suggest Josh Jones, I suppose I would have liked to keep him but I’ve not regretted us letting him go!

And ultimately, we might have regretted Ben Barba leaving if he had’t imploded at the end of the season, at which point most of us were glad to see him go before he went completely nuclear as it transpired!

Plus we swapped him for Coote, who is the archetypal team player. Would we be B2B with Barba instead of Coote? Not IMHO

Some great players, some decent players too.

No regrets though......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Echoing some of the other posts, who have we regretted letting go recently (Thommo notwithstanding)

Savelio? Greenwood? Richardson? Matty Smith perhaps?? I thought we should have kept Luke Walsh at the time but his spell at Catalans and subsequent retirement proved he was spent.

Kyle Eastmond? Glad to be rid in the end. Jamie Foster? Shenton? Flanagan? Turner?
    You could suggest Josh Jones, I suppose I would have liked to keep him but I’ve not regretted us letting him go!

And ultimately, we might have regretted Ben Barba leaving if he had’t imploded at the end of the season, at which point most of us were glad to see him go before he went completely nuclear as it transpired!

Plus we swapped him for Coote, who is the archetypal team player. Would we be B2B with Barba instead of Coote? Not IMHO

Some great players, some decent players too.

No regrets though......
    Pretty much spot on mate.

Learning All The Songs

Like who?

Learning All The Songs

Ah. Someone did a more conclusive response
    Seen that after I posted

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    The problem for young forwards sometimes is the lack if availability of reserve football.

As we have seen a 19yr old three quarter or half back can make the transition from playing fir Under 19s to first team rugby but it's a different story for forwards

A forward can be 25 to 28 before he is ready to hold down a first team spot.

Sometimes they need to drop down a level then work there way back up
    We've got a couple of young forwards that Woolf is keen to develop in Foster and Wingfield, both played in the Salford game and looked very promising. There was a podcast quite a few months ago from Woolf that if will still have restrictions next year he will be looking at the better ones to go out on loan.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

I can only think of Lee Gilmour and Shenton (I know we weren't supposed to know, but we should have kept him until Naqaima was available)

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post

My lord , primary school springs to mind .

Defend him all you wish however he had his chance to shine and didn’t take the opportunity or simply wasn’t good enough . Good luck to him at At Hudde but the right decision . We can’t be carrying folk hoping that next year will be their year to perform . Look at warringtons record !
    Less of the silly 8 ur old comments please !

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We've got a couple of young forwards that Woolf is keen to develop in Foster and Wingfield, both played in the Salford game and looked very promising. There was a podcast quite a few months ago from Woolf that if will still have restrictions next year he will be looking at the better ones to go out on loan.
    Do you or anyone else who might follow the academy know if we have any front rowers coming through?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Do you or anyone else who might follow the academy know if we have any front rowers coming through?
    We don't have any young props that are standing out at the moment, seem to remember we had a big coloured lad but don't know what happened to him in this Covid season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    If only there was someone on the forum....... someone purple and cherry and white perhaps?

I don't think he's set the world on fire.
    I'm happy that the club are taking a stance on unacceptable behaviour outside of the game which I assume is part of the call here.
    I think the point has also been made above that generally speaking the club make the right call nearly every time on who to let go.
    Last edited by Div; 30th November 2020 at 20:18.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    I can only think of Lee Gilmour and Shenton (I know we weren't supposed to know, but we should have kept him until Naqaima was available)
    I don't think we missed Shenton as much as we should have, by consistently playing him on the right. One of the best centre the UK has produced in recent years, but we never got the best out of him. I thought that letting Gilmour go was criminal.Especially when we refused to give him more than 1 year because he was 31, then we bring in Hohaia on a contract until he was 33.

Learning All The Songs

From my point of view we cannot keep them all but I always thought he had the right frame to continue bulk up. I wish him success and I think he will get some good opportunities to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    From my point of view we cannot keep them all but I always thought he had the right frame to continue bulk up. I wish him success and I think he will get some good opportunities to progress.
    Reminds me (different position) of Richardson, in that theres both the skill level and the aptitude there to be a good player, but not quite good enough to be a top player and we need that at Saints.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't think we missed Shenton as much as we should have, by consistently playing him on the right. One of the best centre the UK has produced in recent years, but we never got the best out of him. I thought that letting Gilmour go was criminal.Especially when we refused to give him more than 1 year because he was 31, then we bring in Hohaia on a contract until he was 33.
    Agree with the their. Still pains me to this day. Gilmour was one of my all time greats to watch went on to have 2 or 3 reslly good seasons at huddersfield also