Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Your Take KRISTIAN WOOLF lastr 5 games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

We need to improve our attack.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I wasn't only referring to Cats. Our rugby post lockdown seemed to me, to be much faster and more exciting than the last few games. It may have been "starting again euphoria" But was amazed at our difference pre and post lockdown.
    I only used Catalans as an example since it was first and (second to) last. There was a big difference between pre and post lockdown sure, but I think as the post lockdown season went on, the way teams defended against us changed rather than our attack changed - I think it was referred to else where we quickly became the benchmark and other teams stepped up when against us - we saw this with Wakefield, who put everything into the first game, and couldn’t back it up a week later.

Don’t get me wrong, I am totally on board with the “we need to improve our attack” line, and if Wellens is responsible for that then we should him accountable, but we should also recognise that it’s already one of the best in the league and we’re expecting the team to be able to easily break down teams who are playing their final in some cases (or literally in the last games case).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    To do that we would probably need a creative scrum half especially when opposition defences don't leave any gaps.

Noooobie

As does every other team in super league when you consider the objective as opposed the subjective

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I only used Catalans as an example since it was first and (second to) last. There was a big difference between pre and post lockdown sure, but I think as the post lockdown season went on, the way teams defended against us changed rather than our attack changed - I think it was referred to else where we quickly became the benchmark and other teams stepped up when against us - we saw this with Wakefield, who put everything into the first game, and couldn’t back it up a week later.

Don’t get me wrong, I am totally on board with the “we need to improve our attack” line, and if Wellens is responsible for that then we should him accountable, but we should also recognise that it’s already one of the best in the league and we’re expecting the team to be able to easily break down teams who are playing their final in some cases (or literally in the last games case).
    I'm sure you are correct that teams upped their game and their defence against us. That has been the status quo since the beginning of SL. Everyone wants to beat the top team. We just didn't seem to have any idea about opening them up when they got in our faces. Just listened to a podcast on Saints Tv where KW was saying that Paasi is strong in the carry with a good offload that we can use in attack. Forwards not offloading was part of what I was referring to so hopefully that will allow a bit more variation in attack. At the end of the day I don't think there is much difference in what both of us are saying.

Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Benyon View Post
    As does every other team in super league when you consider the objective as opposed the subjective
    Just a conclusion after reading the thread. If we don't we won't win many big games.

Noooobie

Just a conclusion after reading the thread. If we don't we won't win many big games.
    Granted but so will every other team in the comp considering the fact statistically we had the best attack in the competition. I’m not advocating it was always pretty but it still remains a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Benyon View Post
    Granted but so will every other team in the comp considering the fact statistically we had the best attack in the competition. I’m not advocating it was always pretty but it still remains a fact.
    I mean we need more variety in big games because we have become too predictable

Not only big games Don we play the same almost every game. We seem to have taken structure to a whole new level. However I am hopeful that our new signings and more of Dodd will let us be a bit more unpredictable.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Realistically we only have 2 big games per season in way of Wigoon and Wire in a knock out game. Our 10 game winning run scoring 349 pts for and 80 pts against (35 to 8 average/game) would be acceptable for most teams.

Next year giving the Wire a good thumping in a cup game is of the highest priority.

Starting A Programme Collection

Looking at our recruitment , I think well keep the same plan but just try to be better at and have bigger stronger players doing it

Percy should a bit more to our attacking game but we haven't signed anyone that looks like altering the way we play or give us a new dimension to our attack have we?

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Looking at our recruitment , I think well keep the same plan but just try to be better at and have bigger stronger players doing it

Percy should a bit more to our attacking game but we haven't signed anyone that looks like altering the way we play or give us a new dimension to our attack have we?
    Hopefully feeding Dodd in will give us more variation. Woolf also said in a podcast that Paasi has a good offload, which may mean the 3/4, will see a bit more ball. So, I am hopeful.