Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOM v Wigan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    Who got the mom award.
    I don't ha ve sky so listened to the game on radio Merseyside and didn't here it mentioned
    Pretty sure they gave it to Roby.

Heads up - I don't have Sky, haven't had it for at least ten years but I never miss any matches of any sport that I want to watch (you've just got to know where to look ).

Roby - thought he was immense.
    Amor - it seemed every time he was tackled, he drove Wigan back a few extra yards before they brought him to ground. In a game of tight margins, that's huge.
    Grace - Wigan targeted him after the league match, he stood up every single time. Plus us Welshies have got to stick together!

Special mention for Bentley whose workrate was outstanding.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    70 tackles in any match is unbelievable but in a GF of that intensity is unreal. Worthy of MOM.

James Roby and everything he did even at his age is worthy of MOM.

Knowles was immense. Solid and out it all on the line.

Grace was brilliant defensively and bringing it away.

Jack Welsby had his best game and won us the GF.

It's not man of the match, its men of the the match

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Spot on mate!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

James Bentley's defensive efforts are up there with any player I've seen and he along with Roby would have been a good shout for man of the match.

There were a lot of great efforts out there. Regan Grace had a lot of fielding to do and made a lot of yards. His defensive efforts were excellent too. They'd make the top three.

Matty Lees and Kyle Amor actually stood out above Big Alex yesterday. These are two props that have taken a bit of stick at times, but they really stood up to be counted last night.

Morgan Knowles is a no frills loose forward who does a ton of work.

The half back deficiencies were all too clear again, though. Fages tackle to keep up Hardaker is something no other scrum half could do, but he and Lomax again fell short on the last sets and when we were camped out on that line. If we had an Adam Sezer, we would have won that game by 12-18 points. It's an area that needs looking at.

Kevin Naiqama, though, is probably the only player who could have really cost us. Two or three times he shot out of line and only the great work of his team mates first time around saved both him and us.

In a nutshell

1) Roby
    2) Bentley
    3) Grace
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Fages did his best to lose the game.Knock on led to their try , gave away the penalty that thankfully they missed. Thought his kicking game was poor-again.
    I dread to think what sort of mind set you need to have for the first thing to think of on a man of the match thread is to rip into a single player's performance like this, even more so after a game like that. Truly bizarre mentality.

Learning All The Songs

Anyway on topic... Roby and Bentley for me. How Roby manages to get through the work he does at the quality he does it after the career he's had playing 80 minutes most weeks carrying the team at times over the years I've no idea.

Bentley was superb, nearly a tackle per minute average is just ridiculous. If he can add more of an attacking threat into his game next year he's going to be a truly special player.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I can’t make my mind up with Fages. I think he lacks the cool decision making of a ‘natural’ halfback, and sometimes that costs us. There were a couple of times in Wigan territory last night where the right option would have given us numbers, but he made the wrong call. All of this makes me think it’s time for Dodd to claim the jersey.

But when Fages doesn’t play we miss his directness. You’re absolutely right that he made some key contributions taking the line on last night. What I think is even more important than that is how square he plays - he fixes defenders and makes room for people like Coote to play.
    The problem is that when Lomax is heavily targeted in a game it means Fages needs to up his game creativity wise. When it doesn't happen we have to have that reliance of Walmsley to break up the defensive line this is when fans are critical about our style of play.

This season Fages has been asked to offer kicking pressure by pinning opponents in the corners but that has been at the expense of running shapes at the defensive line, the half back play and selection needs to be reviewed for next season.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    No fages and Hardaker scores. Fages was as creative and made as many good kicks and breaks as Lomax.

Basically defenses were too good. How effective where the Wigan halfbacks running at our line?

How many breaks did their wonder fullback make?

You can't just focus on one players lack of a break, no one managed to impose themselves against either defense.
    Posted on another thread I thought Fages was very good and a little more elusive, his defense as always was brilliant, he made mistakes but so did a few they are human. Coote dropped one and when he dropped the second only his turning his back made it not knock on forward.
    Dare I say it Welsby was at fault for their try and earlier he bit in only for Regan to banjo French ball and all, Regan also pressurised when French put a pass in touch/Bibby overran it, when Jack turned in again. That is not taking anything away from Welsby he will be immortalised with that try. It is hard to fault any player or team in a game of such intensity, I think we are all glad we won one in that style, we have been on the end of too many defeats.
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 28th November 2020 at 13:31.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Fages did his best to lose the game.Knock on led to their try , gave away the penalty that thankfully they missed. Thought his kicking game was poor-again.
    He was also the guy who turned Hardaker over the line and saved a certain try.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    He was also the guy who turned Hardaker over the line and saved a certain try.
    His mistake at the PTB was after two tackles one on Farrell who off loaded to Gildart then whilst on the floor he tackled Gildart, Morgan broke the other way at second marker and Leuluai was heading straight for Dom and Alex who were pinching a breather, it was initially 6 again then Kendall said penalty. After the kick missed and Johnny returned it nearly 30m it was Kev and Theo who cabbaged the extra blind side yards that set up Tommy`s attempt at the drop goal.
    He had a very good game Theo.

Got A Season Ticket

James Bentley for me.

He is quickly becoming one of our most important players

Learning All The Songs

I don't think it was Fages who was penalised! I thought it was at first as the commentators made out, but when I watched it back, Kendal’s signal clearly penalises the tackler ( Peyroux I think) for a second effort, not offside against Fages.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    James Bentley's defensive efforts are up there with any player I've seen and he along with Roby would have been a good shout for man of the match.

There were a lot of great efforts out there. Regan Grace had a lot of fielding to do and made a lot of yards. His defensive efforts were excellent too. They'd make the top three.

Matty Lees and Kyle Amor actually stood out above Big Alex yesterday. These are two props that have taken a bit of stick at times, but they really stood up to be counted last night.

Morgan Knowles is a no frills loose forward who does a ton of work.

The half back deficiencies were all too clear again, though. Fages tackle to keep up Hardaker is something no other scrum half could do, but he and Lomax again fell short on the last sets and when we were camped out on that line. If we had an Adam Sezer, we would have won that game by 12-18 points. It's an area that needs looking at.

Kevin Naiqama, though, is probably the only player who could have really cost us. Two or three times he shot out of line and only the great work of his team mates first time around saved both him and us.

In a nutshell

1) Roby
    2) Bentley
    3) Grace
    I agree about Naiqama. I was always taught as a kid, if you come out the line you have to get either the man or the ball. He got neither a couple of times. Also never let a rugby ball bounce. Coote/Grace did and that could have been really costly. Just basics that we were getting wrong but thankfully they dont matter.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Congratulations on the win. I was convinced it would go to golden point! I really thought you would come to pay for the lack of scoring in the first half given your dominance.
    As to man of the match, I cant bring myself to choose Bentley who has a bit too much mongrel in him, so I’m going to say Bentley.
    I do think the criticism of Fages is harsh, I don’t think Lomax offered anything more.
    Coote probably mighty relieved that the dropped ball didn’t cost you, bu5 that should have been Graces ball!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Fages does the workrate bit brilliantly, he gives it all defensively. Leaves it all out there on the park and I don’t think anyone doubts his desire and effort.

But I think Dave is right that a bit of creativity in that first twenty would have seen us score a couple of tries regardless of Wigan’s great defence. Our failure to score early on meant the game turned into a low scoring slugfest, but it may not have been needed if we’d cracked them early on with a great kick or a pass when we had them on the ropes, and we have to look at our 6 and 7 for failing to provide them,

But, would a 18-6 win have been as fun as the way we did it?

In The South Stand

Don't want to bring any players down as they all gave 100%. On the subject of halves I though Lomax had chance to pass a few times but tried to go himself,at times he tries to do to much himself. At the end of the day every player gave his all and we won. Cant really ask more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Fages does the workrate bit brilliantly, he gives it all defensively. Leaves it all out there on the park and I don’t think anyone doubts his desire and effort.

But I think Dave is right that a bit of creativity in that first twenty would have seen us score a couple of tries regardless of Wigan’s great defence. Our failure to score early on meant the game turned into a low scoring slugfest, but it may not have been needed if we’d cracked them early on with a great kick or a pass when we had them on the ropes, and we have to look at our 6 and 7 for failing to provide them,

I've been lucky enough to witness my team provide some great moments. I was there for Wide to West, I was there for Paul Dickov's 95th minute equaliser at Wembley and I was at the Etihad when Sergio Aguero won the title. None of those moments would have happened if we'd done the job beforehand. City's crapness led to the Dickov situation and both goals came about due to City not winning games they were expected to win comfortably. So, the reality is that with hindsight you'd never have had it any other way. During the actual game, though, well that's different. :-)

Still to this day, I cannot watch any parts of those City games beforehand, because it opens up memories of how bad I felt at the time. Last night, when I was watching highlights and re-runs galore, I couldn't really watch the Hardaker penalty and be happy that he missed it. It brought back how I felt at the time. Something in me still thought he was going to knock it over.

But, yes, apart from one notable member, everyone seems to have cottoned on now that a No.7 is the missing link. If we could just get one then I honestly think we would be unstoppable. As much as people may think I hate Theo Fages, this is not the case. My belief all along is that he's playing a role that his game is not suited to. He isn't a scrum half. I'm also one who is not a massive lover of Jonny Lomax as a 6. I think he's a fine player, but he's a better full back than stand off, for me. However, Coote is a better full back than Jonny.

I'm very happy with how we've recruited up front and we've got the best three quarter line in the league, which just needs bringing into the game a bit more. We just now need somebody with an intelligent passing and thinking game around the opposition line. Bring a natural half back in and we could dominate for years.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand

I am not tring to pick a man of the match , the experts did that but i bet there full back had nightmares that included Welsby because apart from the end every time he got hold of the bal Welsby and Grace got hold of him.

Banned

Got to say made up for LEES i thought that injury had finished him. However last night he was good, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Got to say made up for LEES i thought that injury had finished him. However last night he was good, very good.
    Lees and Amor really stood up to be counted last night. They all did, to be fair.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I think that the last 3 games he has been much better than the games before. He might not have the weight, but the pace he attacks and defends with puts them under all types of pressure.

Pretty tough call to pick one man but I would say Robes edges it, the guy is phenomenal, he has been brilliant this year.

Thought Reegs did well all game too and put in some good hits, especially on Hardaker and he felt it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

To be honest I like Fages, I said to my brother last night that while he's not the most creative half in the world, he seems to be playing to orders. And yes, he does make the odd mistake but he does a lot of good work too. Going forward I think he needs to move to hooker, he's made for the role, I think he offers more than Aaron Smith, he's tougher and a better tackler. It's time for Dodd to step up to Scrum Half and I'd like to see us use Coote kicking more, he made some excellent kicks last night.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    To be honest I like Fages, I said to my brother last night that while he's not the most creative half in the world, he seems to be playing to orders. And yes, he does make the odd mistake but he does a lot of good work too. Going forward I think he needs to move to hooker, he's made for the role, I think he offers more than Aaron Smith, he's tougher and a better tackler. It's time for Dodd to step up to Scrum Half and I'd like to see us use Coote kicking more, he made some excellent kicks last night.
    Yes I think we can kill two birds with one stone with that option, gives Dodd more game time and Roby some more rest time. We will get a much better short and long kicking game as well. The problem is Fages will see the threat of him becoming a utility player.

It was a forwards game - simple. I don't think you can really slate the half backs - Lomax constantly looking to break the line kept the Wigan defence on their toes. In a game like that the forwards will stand out as when teams are defending to that standard the backs can only do so much. Lees and Amor had phenomenal performances for me, good to see them both back in good form.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes I think we can kill two birds with one stone with that option, gives Dodd more game time and Roby some more rest time. We will get a much better short and long kicking game as well. The problem is Fages will see the threat of him becoming a utility player.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. He'd still be France captain and probably be their best hooker too if he was playing there regularly. The other thing it gives us cover for the backs off the bench. A bench of Lees, Amor, LMS and Fages is not bad at all.