Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOM v Wigan

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Default MOM v Wigan

What a season finale.
    Massive performances from a number of players.

Lachlan Coote, he is absolutely outstanding.
    James Roby, say no more.
    Regan Grace, 172 meters, what an absolute performance and in defence he was tremendous.
    Jonny Lomax constant running threat.
    Zeb Taia played his heart out.
    Morgan Knowles, his line speed and tenacity sets him apart.
    James Graham, constant kick pressure on Hastings.
    James Bentley, 69 tackles, you ****ing beauty!
    Walmsley, played on one leg.
    Naiqama, made some very good carries.
    Fages, tough as anything.
    Lees, he’s getting back to full strength, great game.
    How can you not mention Welsby, and in fact the rest of the team!

Top 3 you say, how can you!

Learning All The Songs

Fages did his best to lose the game.Knock on led to their try , gave away the penalty that thankfully they missed. Thought his kicking game was poor-again.

Each and everyone of them. Superb performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Fages did his best to lose the game.Knock on led to their try , gave away the penalty that thankfully they missed. Thought his kicking game was poor-again.
    Bollox

Bollox

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

1. Bentley
    2. Bentley
    3. Roby

Give Bentley 2 spots because it looked like their was 2 of him out there. I can’t really think of a 3rd because other than Roby and Bentley it was an all round team effort.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Default MOM v Wigan

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Bollox
    Fages was very poor. Worked his socks off as he always did but pretty dreadful in good ball and kicking.

I’m hoping we see a lot of Dodd next season to be honest.

Bentley, Roby, Grace excellent.

Naiqama looked out of position a couple of times and it could have cost us. I’m not a massive fan of his if I’m honest and would rather see Percy/Simm as our centres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought both half backs took a few wrong options last night but thats easy for me to say sat at home.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Fages was very poor. Worked his socks off as he always did but pretty dreadful in good ball and kicking.

Naiqama looked out of position a couple of times and it could have cost us. I’m not a massive fan of his if I’m honest and would rather see Percy/Simm as our centres.

his defence has always been suspect .Rushes out of the line too much and misses plenty of tackles

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

No fages and Hardaker scores. Fages was as creative and made as many good kicks and breaks as Lomax.

Basically defenses were too good. How effective where the Wigan halfbacks running at our line?

How many breaks did their wonder fullback make?

You can't just focus on one players lack of a break, no one managed to impose themselves against either defense.

In The South Stand

Bentley, Grace, Roby. Though it’s hard to pick just three.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

I thought Lees had his best game of the season last night, both in attack and defence. Was outstanding. Knowles and Bentley were everywhere, Amor and LMS grafted hard and made yards when Walmsley was off the field. It was just an outstanding performance. Made up for Welsby as well.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

his defence has always been suspect .Rushes out of the line too much and misses plenty of tackles
    'His defence has always been suspect' ? You have not got a clue have you? You can call him out on things, but to say his defence is suspect is just a •••• take.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Hard to pick a MOM but although we played well throughout the team, I thought Roby Grace Bentley Knowles and Coote were outstanding, And Grace didn't even get an attacking pass.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I thought both half backs took a few wrong options last night but thats easy for me to say sat at home.
    The Goons did a good defensive job on both our halves similar to our last derby game. Fages was a funny one he made a few errors but also took on the line to create problems.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post

Naiqama hasn’t had the impact he had last year however I think that is in part due to our unexpansive play. He has certainly made up for it the past two weeks.

Thought he made some very important carries for us last night and by far a better option than Simm at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    The Goons did a good defensive job on both our halves similar to our last derby game. Fages was a funny one he made a few errors but also took on the line to create problems.
    Yeh because our attack isn’t great i think our half backs are left with little option but to attack the line themselves. Which has always been Fages style anyway. He plays it tough. But Lomax has probably been tackled more this season than ever before. Under Holbrook we would ship the ball, Lomax would throw a dummy and open teams up without a hand on him. He would touch the ball 5 times over 30 minutes but create something on every touch. This year our halves seem to run down a lot of dead ends.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Yeh because our attack isn’t great i think our half backs are left with little option but to attack the line themselves. Which has always been Fages style anyway. He plays it tough. But Lomax has probably been tackled more this season than ever before. Under Holbrook we would ship the ball, Lomax would throw a dummy and open teams up without a hand on him. He would touch the ball 5 times over 30 minutes but create something on every touch. This year our halves seem to run down a lot of dead ends.
    Our attack is the best in Superleague we have the most tries, tackle busts, clean breaks by significant margins than any other teams. This year the opposition have targeted Lomax and Walmsley a lot more but we still have scored more than everyone albeit in different ways. Its not a team of individuals this season the team are playing as one, Lomax has only scored a few tries this season but he has created many.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

70 tackles in any match is unbelievable but in a GF of that intensity is unreal. Worthy of MOM.

James Roby and everything he did even at his age is worthy of MOM.

Knowles was immense. Solid and out it all on the line.

Grace was brilliant defensively and bringing it away.

Jack Welsby had his best game and won us the GF.

It's not man of the match, its men of the the match

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The South Stand

The defence that we witnessed last night (to be fair from both teams) is a team effort. I thought, for example, that Grace was imperious under high balls and that Roby and Bentley tackled like machines but ultimately it was a team effort that won it. The determination that four or five players showed to stop Hardaker scoring what seemed to be a certain try was incredible but Wigan showed equal determination and must regret Bibby missing a sitter due to pressure our defence put on him.

What I’m trying to say is that although some players stood out for various reasons the individuals were outshone by the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    The defence that we witnessed last night (to be fair from both teams) is a team effort. I thought, for example, that Grace was imperious under high balls and that Roby and Bentley tackled like machines but ultimately it was a team effort that won it. The determination that four or five players showed to stop Hardaker scoring what seemed to be a certain try was incredible but Wigan showed equal determination and must regret Bibby missing a sitter due to pressure our defence put on him.

What I’m trying to say is that although some players stood out for various reasons the individuals were outshone by the team.
    I don't think there was really a man of the match performance we were the sum of all our parts.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    No fages and Hardaker scores. Fages was as creative and made as many good kicks and breaks as Lomax.

Basically defenses were too good. How effective where the Wigan halfbacks running at our line?

How many breaks did their wonder fullback make?

You can't just focus on one players lack of a break, no one managed to impose themselves against either defense.
    I thought Fages, Lomax and Coote were really important for us last night. It’s easy for us watching to pick on certain technical things but we also lost James Graham in the first half and Alex Walmsley was on one leg so we were short in the middle. Amor, Lees, LMS and Knowles were all outstanding but the number of times Fages and Lomax in particular took the line on, used some footwork, found a quick play-the-ball and got us going forward was outstanding. They both doubled up as extra forwards really and both put their bodies on the line for us. Our attack potentially suffered a bit but but we don’t win that game last night without their contributions.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I don't think there was really a man of the match performance we were the sum of all our parts.
    Who got the mom award.
    I don't ha ve sky so listened to the game on radio Merseyside and didn't here it mentioned

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    Who got the mom award.
    I don't ha ve sky so listened to the game on radio Merseyside and didn't here it mentioned
    Robes

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I thought Fages, Lomax and Coote were really important for us last night. It’s easy for us watching to pick on certain technical things but we also lost James Graham in the first half and Alex Walmsley was on one leg so we were short in the middle. Amor, Lees, LMS and Knowles were all outstanding but the number of times Fages and Lomax in particular took the line on, used some footwork, found a quick play-the-ball and got us going forward was outstanding. They both doubled up as extra forwards really and both put their bodies on the line for us. Our attack potentially suffered a bit but but we don’t win that game last night without their contributions.
    I can’t make my mind up with Fages. I think he lacks the cool decision making of a ‘natural’ halfback, and sometimes that costs us. There were a couple of times in Wigan territory last night where the right option would have given us numbers, but he made the wrong call. All of this makes me think it’s time for Dodd to claim the jersey.

But when Fages doesn’t play we miss his directness. You’re absolutely right that he made some key contributions taking the line on last night. What I think is even more important than that is how square he plays - he fixes defenders and makes room for people like Coote to play.