Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MOM v Wigan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Your right, Naiqama very rarely makes a clean break and has a bad habit of flying in only to fly past his objective. He is a tough cookie but is never going to win matches with sheer brilliance. It would not bother me if he was replaced.
    In fairness mate, he got barely any ball in space all night. I thought he did well making good metres in many occassions when he could have just crumpled to ground. He might not be a Lyon, Gidley or Iro but he's a more than fair player.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Fear the vee. Your right, Naiqama very rarely makes a clean break and has a bad habit of flying in only to fly past his objective. He is a tough cookie but is never going to win matches with sheer brilliance. It would not bother me if he was replaced.
    Most likely see out his contract next season then Simm will step into his place for 2022. Not as good this season, got good service when Richardson played but we have gone back to poor service on our right hand side similar to when Shenton was here.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    In fairness mate, he got barely any ball in space all night. I thought he did well making good metres in many occassions when he could have just crumpled to ground. He might not be a Lyon, Gidley or Iro but he's a more than fair player.

And when do either of our centres ever get the ball in space. That’s the argument about Woolf’s coaching style.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    And therein lies our problem. We hardly ever see centres nor wingers get the ball in attacking position. I really miss seeing our 3/4s running on to a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    And therein lies our problem. We hardly ever see centres nor wingers get the ball in attacking position. I really miss seeing our 3/4s running on to a ball.
    To be honest, it's a problem with more or less every team in Superleague most operate with flat attacks and lateral running.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Most likely see out his contract next season then Simm will step into his place for 2022. Not as good this season, got good service when Richardson played but we have gone back to poor service on our right hand side similar to when Shenton was here.
    Richardson played 12 games last year and Fages 27 so you can hardly give credit to Richardson for all that much service to be honest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Richardson played 12 games last year and Fages 27 so you can hardly give credit to Richardson for all that much service to be honest.
    I'd have Fages in my time ahead of Richardson any day of the week. Whilst he's limited, he's game and won't disappear if the going gets tough.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    He certainly did get a lot of credit at the time in balancing out our attack but some fans were fickle about it because of his weakness in defence, this was when he got a 4 or 5 game run. Distinctly remember Lomax, Tai, Percival and Grace working that left side with Richardson, Peyroux, Naiqama, and Makinson working the right. Makinson scored loads of try's in that period and became top try scorer for that season.

When Fages came back into the side we still attacked on the right but gradually it faded out over time.

In The South Stand

He certainly did get a lot of credit at the time in balancing out our attack but some fans were fickle about it because of his weakness in defence, this was when he got a 4 or 5 game run. Distinctly remember Lomax, Tai, Percival and Grace working that left side with Richardson, Peyroux, Naiqama, and Makinson working the right. Makinson scored loads of try's in that period and became top try scorer for that season.

When Fages came back into the side we still attacked on the right but gradually it faded out over time.
    Makinson scored more trys with Fages than without,including a few 2 and 3 try performances,he missed a few games in that period also and Swift came in,also for a few games Fages was at 6 running the right side with Richardson at 7. There was that one freak game v Hull when between them Naiqama and Swift scored 7 while Richardson was playing.But other than that it's not really true we went right less and were less effective.

We had far more room to play last year with Thompson coming off the back of a Walmsley play and also Lees pre injury making good ground and the whole team had far more room to play on the front foot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I like Fages. Always have. I would like to see more of Dodd who is without doubt a proper 7, but i would be sad to see Fages leave. He’s a tough little player who puts himself about and does his bit in defence. Whatever his best position is, he’s worthy of a top club i reckon.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I like Fages. Always have. I would like to see more of Dodd who is without doubt a proper 7, but i would be sad to see Fages leave. He’s a tough little player who puts himself about and does his bit in defence. Whatever his best position is, he’s worthy of a top club i reckon.
    I think the logical move is Fages to 9 and Dodd at 7, obviously once Roby retires, Fages is good enough defensively to play the position and him at 9 allows us to have 4 playmakers on the field in Coote, Lomax, Dodd and Fages rather than having someone a little bit more limited like Smith at 9

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I think the logical move is Fages to 9 and Dodd at 7, obviously once Roby retires, Fages is good enough defensively to play the position and him at 9 allows us to have 4 playmakers on the field in Coote, Lomax, Dodd and Fages rather than having someone a little bit more limited like Smith at 9
    Yeh thats a possibility. I think Salford played him at 6 but ive always thought he’s a 7 or a 9.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    TBH I think Roby will still be playing for Saint's after Cootes has left.

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    TBH I think Roby will still be playing for Saint's after Cootes has left.
    The latter end of this season he's playing more like a Cameron Smith at the moment, that would help is longevity.

I thought Fages had a decent game bar the odd mistake. On a number of occasions he got us a priceless extra few metres up the field and a quick play the ball which is gold in a game like that. Likewise his defence was as always very good. Clearly Dodd is going to take the shirt soon but Fages would be an ideal sub for the time being then probably him and Smith/Eaves to take on the 9 duties

Learning All The Songs

Bentley and Roby led the way apart from the number of tackles they made they did the hard wrestling part as well better than any other Saints player. That takes it out of you. For Wigan i thought Leuluai was top class and seem to have time on the ball

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Fages has played hooker and been useful there too. If we were to ever try and phase Dodd in, maybe we could look at Fages to 9 whilst phasing Roby out. Thats if age ever catches up with him. He's quick around the ruck and great in defence too.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

The latter end of this season he's playing more like a Cameron Smith at the moment, that would help is longevity.
    He is managing the game more like Smith, but still doing more work than Smith.