Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: 21 man squad - Grand Final

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It was no doubt a heroic effort by the entire team, those injured or not.

You and I have disagreed on tactics and all that over the past few months but I've learned a bit, thanks. I'm looking forward to next season more than I've looked forward to a season for years, and I look forward to the debate next year.
    Hopefully we go forward onto achieving a triple champion label, how we do that next season will open up debate and opinions. The exciting thing is that we will have fresh armoury next season, it will be interesting to see how Woolf makes improvements and takes up what will be a very difficult back to back to back challenge.

The only worry I have at the moment is with Bentley and trying to tie him down to a longer contract, he has NRL ambitions and may only accept a further 1 year extension, I believe some of his peers have advised him to stick around for a few more years yet at the club, but he is becoming "box office" and the Aussie dollar might be a greater temptation than his ambitions.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Hopefully we go forward onto achieving a triple champion label, how we do that next season will open up debate and opinions. The exciting thing is that we will have fresh armoury next season, it will be interesting to see how Woolf makes improvements and takes up what will be a very difficult back to back to back challenge.

The only worry I have at the moment is with Bentley and trying to tie him down to a longer contract, he has NRL ambitions and may only accept a further 1 year extension, I believe some of his peers have advised him to stick around for a few more years yet at the club, but he is becoming "box office" and the Aussie dollar might be a greater temptation than his ambitions.
    I think some NRL clubs will see him as a Bateman style 'sure fire' signing and will go for him big. He's only young and has years ahead of him, but I think we'll lose him eventually, but if we can keep him through 2022 or even 2023 we'll have done well I reckon.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

E Mc stated that, having only 1 year was Bentleys choice, because he wanted to be certain he would be getting regular games before tying himself down. Hopefully now he is established we can keep him a bit longer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    E Mc stated that, having only 1 year was Bentleys choice, because he wanted to be certain he would be getting regular games before tying himself down. Hopefully now he is established we can keep him a bit longer.
    Fingers crossed but I bet he's getting loads of offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Last week I watched a podcast from Yorkshire on it was Bentley, Brierley, Bradford Journalist and a Giants bloke in some coaching capacity. They asked him why he hadn't signed a new contract and he said as you mentioned, but they dug a bit deeper and a NRL ambition came to the surface. They advised him to stick at it with the Saints for a few more years longer and become a similar standard to Bateman before looking at options. I think I might have posted the link on another thread.

Last week I watched a podcast from Yorkshire on it was Bentley, Brierley, Bradford Journalist and a Giants bloke in some coaching capacity. They asked him why he hadn't signed a new contract and he said as you mentioned, but they dug a bit deeper and a NRL ambition came to the surface. They advised him to stick at it with the Saints for a few more years longer and become a similar standard to Bateman before looking at options. I think I might have posted the link on another thread.
    I had my doubts about his size when we announced his signing, but he has proved his worth. I suppose it is understandable that Eamonn did not mention any NRL ambitions. I hope we can keep him longer than one year.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Would it not have been better to get him to sign a two year deal but with an option that he xould go to Aus after one if an agreed transfer fee was met? That way at least Saints would get something for him rather than walk away for nothing.
    Somebody like Reacher may have a better insight into it or even if that offer was tabled?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Would it not have been better to get him to sign a two year deal but with an option that he xould go to Aus after one if an agreed transfer fee was met? That way at least Saints would get something for him rather than walk away for nothing.
    But that assumes Saints think they can't keep him, and sticking an NRL clause in a 2 year deal is almost telling him to leave so that a fee can be gained at the end of year 1. Saints will hopefully feel they can keep him for another 2-3 years so why give way before the lad has even indicated he wants to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    But that assumes Saints think they can't keep him, and sticking an NRL clause in a 2 year deal is almost telling him to leave so that a fee can be gained at the end of year 1. Saints will hopefully feel they can keep him for another 2-3 years so why give way before the lad has even indicated he wants to leave?
    As to whether he would see to option of getting out after one year as telling him to leave, is a 50/50 call, as is hoping he will stay but risking him leaving for free. I really hope we have taken the right option. I think we are looking better next year than we have for quite a long time. While some players will have reached their sell by date, it would be a pity to see young ones leaving so soon.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Somebody like Reacher may have a better insight into it or even if that offer was tabled?
    We have a better record than some other teams of holding on to our better players.

I think he is still a work in progress and although the constant comparisons with Bateman are somewhat inevitable he is nowhere near that level yet especially with ball in hand. He is already an excellent defender and will hopefully continue to progress because he has the potential to be a massive player for us going forward. Signing a new contract should be a priority over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think he is still a work in progress and although the constant comparisons with Bateman are somewhat inevitable he is nowhere near that level yet especially with ball in hand. He is already an excellent defender and will hopefully continue to progress because he has the potential to be a massive player for us going forward. Signing a new contract should be a priority over the winter.
    Fully agree with this. Though they are both SR's I feel they are different types of player. For me Bentley does more work than Bateman. Though Bateman is good tackler he doesn't do as many as Bentley, however he is far more destructive ball in hand.

Agree 100% and I was only making the comparison in terms of how NRL clubs would look at him. He’s definitely got improvement ahead of him as a runner and going forward no doubt.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I agree. I really like Bentley, he’s a tough bugger and excellent defensively. He’s not someone I’d enjoy playing against for a minute. However what he doesn’t really do yet is hurt teams in attack. If he added that to his game he’d be the standout player in his position over here without a doubt. Whether NRL sides would take a punt on him at his current level I’m not sure, and I don’t mean that to come across negatively about him. He just isn’t the full package yet.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

A letter in this weeks league express was rather amusing. Someone wrote in and part of his letter said welsby, s try should've been disallowed as he pushed french out of the way,,,, sour grapes on show again

Banned

It wasn't Angry of Oral was it? That Welsby will go down in history as a perennial cheat. I think the last five minutes should be declared null and void and played again. This under PIESKY rules of Saints players each wearing a blind fold.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I agree. I really like Bentley, he’s a tough bugger and excellent defensively. He’s not someone I’d enjoy playing against for a minute. However what he doesn’t really do yet is hurt teams in attack. If he added that to his game he’d be the standout player in his position over here without a doubt. Whether NRL sides would take a punt on him at his current level I’m not sure, and I don’t mean that to come across negatively about him. He just isn’t the full package yet.

Bentley is a stopper more than a creator , same as Knowles

Good sides need a mix of all types of players and those two carry out a key role for us and both excelled last season

I do feel we are bit short of ball players in the pack (Paulo was supposed to play that role) hopefully some of the new signings can help us out in that area.

I like Bateman he is a really top player , hate saying it but he will certainly improve wigan

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post

Good sides need a mix of all types of players and those two carry out a key role for us and both excelled last season

I do feel we are bit short of ball players in the pack (Paulo was supposed to play that role) hopefully some of the new signings can help us out in that area.

I like Bateman he is a really top player , hate saying it but he will certainly improve wigan
    I'm pretty sure Bentley will develop with more of a passing game now he is settled into the team, it will be interesting when Bateman clashes with Bentley in the derby.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post

Knowles has been getting better at linking the play as a 13, especially when we go from one side of the pitch to the other you’ll often see him at 1st receiver before the ball goes through Fages, Lomax and Coote. I would like to see a few more offloads from the pack as a whole though as long as we’re not shovelling shit.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

[QUOTE=JB1973;809926]Bentley is a stopper more than a creator , same as Knowles

I like Bateman he is a really top player , hate saying it but he will certainly improve wigan[/QU

Spot on.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    It wasn't Angry of Oral was it? That Welsby will go down in history as a perennial cheat. I think the last five minutes should be declared null and void and played again. This under PIESKY rules of Saints players each wearing a blind fold.
    They could always follow the pattern of the LLS, wait for Wigan to get ahead then end the comp.