Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad - Grand Final

Banned

The one thing I would say. I was a child in the sixties and there was quite a lot of poverty about. Some poor and I mean poor housing, one cold water tap and outside toilets in many areas and second hand clothes the norm for many. The small things mattered, kids played sport all the time at school and at home and life did seem slower and simpler. Rugby League and to a lesser extent soccer and cricket was everything.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    The one thing I would say. I was a child in the sixties and there was quite a lot of poverty about. Some poor and I mean poor housing, one cold water tap and outside toilets in many areas and second hand clothes the norm for many. The small things mattered, kids played sport all the time at school and at home and life did seem slower and simpler. Rugby League and to a lesser extent soccer and cricket was everything.
    Poverty is a relative term, the house I lived in upto 1960 in Thatto Heath had an outside toilet and we used a tin bath in front of the fire, we didn't consider ourselves poor that's just way it was.

By modern standards those houses were cold and damp but when the whole street is the same you just accepted it as the norm

Late 60s early 70s there were a lot of government grants to add bathrooms to houses and central heating came along so a lot changed then.

I had an elder sister so fortunately didn't have to wear hand me downs

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

You were lucky...

Banned

He was Barry, the house my Mam moved out of in Peasley Cross to be rehoused in 1986 still had an outside toilet and only a kind of converted shower in the washhouse. It was rented since 1960 but she got a council house in Billinge out of it so it ended well for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    The 60's was a great time. A massive change in musical culture, employment for the majority who wanted it. A mate of mine in 1965 started work on a Monday, didn't like it, walked out on the Wednesday and then started another job on the following Monday.

I went into instrument engineering at Forsters/Rockware in 1964 and being about one of ten Wigan RL fans in over 1000 who worked there, soon learned how to stand my corner in many discussions. I stayed there until 1972 where I joined the Big Red H an American owned multi national Industrial, domestic control/aerospace diverse company.
    I loved my time at Rockware and could have stayed there but ambition sort of drove me elsewhere. It gave me a great grounding for a career that took me all over the World, some great places and some that I vowed I'd never go back to.

So in essence the 60's was a great time to be alive. a real fun time.

The 1961 final I went on a coach from the Brown Cow in Billinge mixed Wigan and Saints fans. I was only twelve at the time, I remember it being a hot day, Fred Griffiths hit the post with a penalty which I think would have put Wigan just in front.

In 1966 we went by train at midnight from Wigan. We went into central London and who should we see walking with two stunning young ladies on each arm but Keith Moon and Pete Townsend.

Great memories. I slept on the luggage rack on the way home, preparing for the "debate" in work on Monday morning!!
    This is what I mean. Regardless of how much Rogues annoys me with certain posts, this stuff really interests me. What working life was like, the rugby etc.

Lads who are older than me who I know tell me stories about the mad nights out from coach do's etc. Turning up in town and jumping on a coach to Blackburn, Bolton, Batley, wherever.

Seems like there was so much variety back in the 60s and 70s but now it seems all very similar

He was Barry, the house my Mam moved out of in Peasley Cross to be rehoused in 1986 still had an outside toilet and only a kind of converted shower in the washhouse. It was rented since 1960 but she got a council house in Billinge out of it so it ended well for her.
    What happened with the council houses of those times? Did the housing associations take over them? Forgive my ignorance

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Depends who her Billinge Neighbour was.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    What happened with the council houses of those times? Did the housing associations take over them? Forgive my ignorance
    That question opens up one of the biggest failures in public policy in the 20th century. The best answer (and it's a BIG subject), is to be found here:
    https://municipaldreams.wordpress.com/

Banned

The 60's was a great time. A massive change in musical culture, employment for the majority who wanted it. A mate of mine in 1965 started work on a Monday, didn't like it, walked out on the Wednesday and then started another job on the following Monday.

I went into instrument engineering at Forsters/Rockware in 1964 and being about one of ten Wigan RL fans in over 1000 who worked there, soon learned how to stand my corner in many discussions. I stayed there until 1972 where I joined the Big Red H an American owned multi national Industrial, domestic control/aerospace diverse company.
    I loved my time at Rockware and could have stayed there but ambition sort of drove me elsewhere. It gave me a great grounding for a career that took me all over the World, some great places and some that I vowed I'd never go back to.

The 1961 final I went on a coach from the Brown Cow in Billinge mixed Wigan and Saints fans. I was only twelve at the time, I remember it being a hot day, Fred Griffiths hit the post with a penalty which I think would have put Wigan just in front.

In 1966 we went by train at midnight from Wigan. We went into central London and who should we see walking with two stunning young ladies on each arm but Keith Moon and Pete Townsend.

Great memories. I slept on the luggage rack on the way home, preparing for the "debate" in work on Monday morning!!
    Didn't know you were a tiffy, explains a lot I suppose. Good anecdote though.

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    That question opens up one of the biggest failures in public policy in the 20th century. The best answer (and it's a BIG subject), is to be found here:
    https://municipaldreams.wordpress.com/
    Thanks, I'll read that

Banned

When the terraced houses came under compulsory purchase most had been bought by then from the private landlords, so basically those people tried to understandably squeeze a few more Bob out of the Council under CP. To get my Mam out they showed her the best two, two bed roomed houses they had and Holt Avenue Billinge was her choice. At some point ownership went from the Council to Helena Housing. It must be said those houses one by one where bought from the Council/Helena. I would presume only a handful are now rented from Helena. Hence people pushed back to private landlords like it was in my childhood. Not good Ralph.

Learning All The Songs

Not heard washouse for many a year 1986 does not seem that long ago to me!!
    I can remember the strikes and power cuts because of them, good job we had open fires or at least the gas fire had a piezo spark to light it, not ashamed to say we all sat round a candle when it was cold and when it was freezing cold,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, we used to light it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Back on topic, just been announced by McManus that the Grand Final had 4 saints players with serious injuries that would have not played in a normal fixture. Bentley played all those minutes in the final with broken rib(s).

Got A Season Ticket

Ahhh only to have been alive then. When you could learn a skilled trade, have a decent, solid job & develop practical skills for life. Surrounded by tough but fair, honest hardworking people.
    Yes, outside toilets that froze over in winter, no central heating, it was great.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    Yes, outside toilets that froze over in winter, no central heating, it was great.
    I don't know why but the toilet freezing over has made me laugh.

We used to get that in Afghanistan in winter when the water pipes froze up at night so you couldn't flush the bog/have a wash/shower in a morning.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    You were lucky...
    Tempting to start the “At Last It’s The 1948 Show” Yorkshiremen’s sketch!

In The South Stand

My Dad worked at Forsters/Rockware and played rugby for them until my Mum handbagged another player for breaking his ribs. You possibly used my Uncle Charlie’s shop so I might let you off a few things.

Paraffin lamps to stop outdoor toilets from freezing. The younger generation don’t know how lucky they are.

In The South Stand

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Filmed last year near Halifax.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Filmed last year near Halifax.
    Featherstone surely

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Back on topic, just been announced by McManus that the Grand Final had 4 saints players with serious injuries that would have not played in a normal fixture. Bentley played all those minutes in the final with broken rib(s).
    I'm not sure which way to take that. The fan in me wants to say 'heroic', the former H&S bod in me is saying quite the opposite!

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    My Dad worked at Forsters/Rockware and played rugby for them until my Mum handbagged another player for breaking his ribs. You possibly used my Uncle Charlie’s shop so I might let you off a few things.

Paraffin lamps to stop outdoor toilets from freezing. The younger generation don’t know how lucky they are.
    Charlie Creeveys?
    As soon as I read that bit about paraffin lamps I could smell it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I'm not sure which way to take that. The fan in me wants to say 'heroic', the former H&S bod in me is saying quite the opposite!
    Yes, sign of the times. If Prescott (prop) can go out with a broken arm I suppose Walmsley and his torn cartilage was just an irritation. Knee recovery 6 to 8 weeks or 3 to 6 months dependant on surgical repair.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Yes, sign of the times. If Prescott (prop) can go out with a broken arm I suppose Walmsley and his torn cartilage was just an irritation. Knee recovery 6 to 8 weeks or 3 to 6 months dependant on surgical repair.
    Cliff Watson also completed a game with a broken arm.

On the strange but true side of things many years ago Runcorn Highfield had an Australian player who only had one arm.
    He was actually one of there better players.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

It was no doubt a heroic effort by the entire team, those injured or not.

You and I have disagreed on tactics and all that over the past few months but I've learned a bit, thanks. I'm looking forward to next season more than I've looked forward to a season for years, and I look forward to the debate next year.