Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad - Grand Final

Starting A Programme Collection

I think people are giving Wigan far more credit than they deserve . The are very average in a crap league . If both teams play at there best I see saint by 20. Wigan offer no more than Catalan .

They have somehow been given a degree of credence for winning the LLS . It holds no credibility whosoever . Had we known about the rule change prior to the Salford game we would have won it . I still would have held it with no genuine legitimate claim to have finished LL in this odd year . The Covid champs yes ,LL No

Any SL team who has Tony Clubb In it is struggling , Bevan French my god , if he was really as good as they’re banging on about he would be in the NRL . Can’t tackle , makes mistake but can run fast in a straight line !

If we play well we will win , simple . If we play well and lose , I will eat a raw turnip outside Wigan Althetics ground .

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Not going to sleep tonight. Grand final nerves kicking in already

Banned

I will admit to be being a glass half full person. Being a Saints fan has been a joy but a rollercoaster we tend to lose as many finals as we win, and have lost more semi finals than Everton.

I do believe we have the better team, and even with my negativity take us by 11-15 points. Lomax is due a really good game and Amor and LMS cannot be as bad as last time against them.

Wigan have a strength in that mentally they are and always have been a win at any cost team and club and you underestimate that at your peril.

We need to be no less than 4 behind at half time and we should be OK. They will try and blow us away in the first 30.

Hate the build up to a big game especially a night time kick off , always have always will.

Hopefully the goons will have a man sent off early again

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

For me it rests on Walmsley. If he is ok we win if hes 80% we win if he goes off we are knackered. Lee's, LMS, Amor no hope without him. Graham has made no impact

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    For me it rests on Walmsley. If he is ok we win if hes 80% we win if he goes off we are knackered. Lee's, LMS, Amor no hope without him. Graham has made no impact

Nailed on wigan will target his knee, what a poster on here call it before "bending the straw" or something, two men hold the guy and the third targets the knee /ankle joint

If Big Al plays well , we tend to go well , I also want us to get the ball into the hands of our back 3 as much as possible, one on one our wingers and coote can beat any defender

Learning All The Songs

This is the worry. If he is not fit we got to use more variety in our game. Spin it wide occasionally early in the set to stretch the goons defence.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Last time we played Wigan in a GF (2014) we beat Catalans in the semi. We went on to win the GF. Last time we went back to back, we played Wigan in the second GF. Hopefully history repeats itself tonight. Come on you Saints

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Nailed on wigan will target his knee, what a poster on here call it before "bending the straw" or something, two men hold the guy and the third targets the knee /ankle joint

If Big Al plays well , we tend to go well , I also want us to get the ball into the hands of our back 3 as much as possible, one on one our wingers and coote can beat any defender
    Everyone knows when AW is going to carry the ball in and everytime now he is gang tackled. I would like to see another forward running with him, one that now and again he can pass to just before impact.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    This is the worry. If he is not fit we got to use more variety in our game. Spin it wide occasionally early in the set to stretch the goons defence.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    I agree. Line AW up at first receiver and have Roby send a long face ball to Fages and stretch Wigan. Or get AW to tip on to another forward or hit Fages out the back before he is tackled. Keep them guessing and stop AW being a sitting duck with a gang of Wigan defenders frothing at the mouth to get at him.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I hope we play some good open rugby. We aren’t suited to the grind. Let Wigan load up the middle in defence and get the ball thrown out wide shifting their defence around. As Belgian Saint posted above

I would play this way even if Walmsley is 100% fit.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I agree. Line AW up at first receiver and have Roby send a long face ball to Fages and stretch Wigan. Or get AW to tip on to another forward or hit Fages out the back before he is tackled. Keep them guessing and stop AW being a sitting duck with a gang of Wigan defenders frothing at the mouth to get at him.
    Watching the highlight of the 96 season, goulding used to be great and passing to a big player and then looping round to receive the ball back before throwing a long pass out wide to one of the quicker men

Don't know why that has gone out of the game,

On a side note goulding really was good that season, great kicker and a lovely passer of the ball . I know he has issues but the guy could really play

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Watching the highlight of the 96 season, goulding used to be great and passing to a big player and then looping round to receive the ball back before throwing a long pass out wide to one of the quicker men

On a side note goulding really was good that season, great kicker and a lovely passer of the ball . I know he has issues but the guy could really play
    He was fantastic for us. When I think back to those league and cup wins in 1996-1997 he stands out instantly.

As you say he did have problems but I spoke to him back in January and he was in fine form. Not had a drink for years and is running a gym in Widnes. Doing well by the looks of it.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Last time we played Wigan in a GF (2014) we beat Catalans in the semi. We went on to win the GF. Last time we went back to back, we played Wigan in the second GF. Hopefully history repeats itself tonight. Come on you Saints

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

A win takes us to 8, alongside Leeds.

It’s about time!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Really annoys me when SKY only mention we have won the GF 6 times, we've been SL champions 7 times. Even if we win tonight, it will still be 7 times GF winners and not 8 times SL Champions in some of their eyes

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    A win takes us to 8, alongside Leeds.
    They should never have reached 8, bloody gifted half of them

I used to like a good runaround move. I think the defences are so quick in moving up these days that by the time you've passed to the guy outside you and run around him they'll be all over you. The closest thing we have to it now is where a ball player suddenly switches sides as the ball is being played (which is something I think we could do more often).

Learning All The Songs

I hope we turn up with a changed game from the rest of the season, give them something to think about.

Got A Season Ticket

Thinking back to how we got the ball out wide in the semi I wonder if the HIA checks on Jammer & LMS forced a change of tactics from the usual up the middle stuff we usually do.

If that's the case then hopefully the staff & players will have seen how successful it was and try the same tonight.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I hope we turn up with a changed game from the rest of the season, give them something to think about.
    I don't think we will try and play the same way as last time out, the biggest concern is not the Wigoons or us it will be how the ref officiates that speed at the PTB and the "line speed off side". If both teams insist on a flat attack we can forget about an open style of game it will just be an arm wrestle and taking advantage of each others errors.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    I think Amor does a good job, and so does LMS but i wouldn’t class him as a prop. Having Graham in the squad helps get the team fired up and it’s his big final push, as for Lees he offers nothing and looking at his stats last week they were dreadful, hardly any impact and five missed tackles. I’m hoping tonight he goes on and gets MOTM with his six tries.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

The important thing tonight is that we don’t beat ourselves. They played really well when we played them a few weeks ago, probably their best game of the season so far and I thought we were a fair way off our best. However we were 6-4 up at half-time (and we gifted them that try really by not defending a kick) and were well in the game for 50 minutes or so. Second half we knocked on at the ruck, we kicked the ball out for 7 tackles, we knocked on from a drop out, we missed some poor tackles and they were really clinical and took advantage of those mistakes. We need to take those basic, concentration errors out of our game tonight and if we do that we’ll give ourselves a good chance.

I think we’ll need to use the ball a fair bit more than we did last time out and play with a bit more shape. They’ve always been good at defending tight and slowing the ruck down so I think it’s important that we get outside those first three defenders. Short passes between the forwards, bringing Taia and Bentley back on the inside and having options at the line will stand us in good stead as well.

We kicked early in the set a few times against Catalan and I think we might do the same tonight, particularly in behind Bibby. Hardaker runs hard but if we can kick early, isolate French with a good kick chase and put pressure on Bibby, Hardaker and Burgess to carry in yardage I think we might be able to get some field position from that. Our kick chase was really good last week and it’ll need to be again or French will punish us.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

I’ve not been in the “it doesn’t mean the same”, “it’s an asterisked title” etc camp, I think this one probably means more given the sacrifices teams have made and the turnaround between games we’ve all faced and this one means as much as any other Grand Final.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Agree 100%. Same with the Simm / Welsby situation. I said after last weeks game he has to have earned his GF jersey.
    Thought he did very well last week but I think both edges will get tested more defensively tonight. Their attack seems to have gone back to how it was under Wane, really structured but they run their plays very well. That hook, line, sinker play they have where Leuluai gets the ball, shows it to Isa and Hardaker runs a short line with French out the back is really dangerous and if either Welsby or Grace either turn their shoulders in or leave the line to shut it down we’ll be in trouble. Really hope they both have good games.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’ve not been in the “it doesn’t mean the same”, “it’s an asterisked title” etc camp, I think this one probably means more given the sacrifices teams have made and the turnaround between games we’ve all faced and this one means as much as any other Grand Final.
    Well, who will ever forget 2020 and this season? It is a diluted season, it won't be a traditional league title (or as traditional as they ever are now) but it'll be remembered by everyone that follows the game. If we win we'll have won the title in the season that nobody will forget. Don't worry about asterisks unless we lose!