Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Referee favours one club over another

Banned

To be honest Wolfie if Saints turn up in A game mode we will win. however we like yourselves are prone to the wobbles, when Leeds and Wigan with inferior sides at times haven't been. they are still on paper the third best team in the competition. Ref wise, my issue with Kendall surrounded Brad Dwyer, if you could ban a ref, he should have been. besides that you just need to get two scores ahead and that should nullify them. Good to have your opinion, how's rubber at least with tier 2 he can get the Banjo out.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    You've never noticed how effective the scum are slowing the ruck and PTB without being penalised? How they always get another body to flop on just as the tackle is completed? Then they peel off one by one to give far more time to get their defensive line set? And how this seems more blatant under certain refs? I've noticed it in some big games between them and your lot
    Of course we know their tactics, just like it was noticeable before lockdown that Saints were going down the WWE route. Some teams consist of 13 Usain Bolts the way they can cover 10 metres. Frustrating though it is, it is for the coach and team to find a way to deal with it. I certainly don’t think it is down to ref bias though.

Learning All The Songs

You've never noticed how effective the scum are slowing the ruck and PTB without being penalised? How they always get another body to flop on just as the tackle is completed? Then they peel off one by one to give far more time to get their defensive line set? And how this seems more blatant under certain refs? I've noticed it in some big games between them and your lot
    Personally what you point out, and rightly so, is a secondary issue, the bigger issue for me is how do you end up with the same referee taking 7 games in a row containing the same one team, all that does is allow that team to know what they can get away with. I am sure that if Wolfie was in the same position as us he would be querying the appointment process, in fact i think fans of any club would in the same position.

It has nothing to do with getting excuses in early, or implying any form of bias in the referee, but i cannot think of any sport that would have a situation like this, this has more to do with the shambolic nature of how the sport is run.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Some teams consist of 13 Usain Bolts the way they can cover 10 metres.
    I hope you managed to keep a straight face when saying that

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Frustrating though it is, it is for the coach and team to find a way to deal with it. I certainly don’t think it is down to ref bias though.
    The bias comes when one side gets penalised for doing something the opposition does without getting penalised. We all know the scum take age between initial contact between defenders and ball carrier, and the last man clambering off the tackled ball carrier, is an age. Yet I've seen team including us get more 6-agains awarded against them.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    You misspelt John Holdsworth.
    Im a Northern Irish immigrant so I suspect he's before my time, but I do remember Ian Smith, he even admitted to hating us

Banned

Oh he was bad beyond belief. Big Leeds fan and a Leeds bloke, but it was comical he moved to Kippax I think it was. So on TV or in the programme it said Kippax, which allowed him to ref Leeds, which in many big games he did.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    If every team played that way to win games, then the sport would be finished. Folk would vote with their feet, sponsors would leave and finally SKY would pack their bags and go home. If all games were a grinding "slugfest" played the Wigan way, no one would bother with the sport, as Wigan would win everything, since any opposition transgressions would be penalised when Wigan's would not be. Which is the one of the reasons (among many) that we don't play that way. We got the result we did againts Catalan snot because we adopted this style as you suggested, but because the rules were applied as they should be and their thugs were penalised correctly. Wigan's thugs wont be, they never are.
    Prez every team runs the same plays, the only thing that differs is the personnel, in a salary capped sport we do not have the players of 1996-2008. Play expansive rugby in the summer months, play hard nosed to win finals, you will not loose fans because you are winners.
    There are lots of theories why the sport`s fan base is dwindling even from the post war years, one of them is the lack of edge allowed in tackles, we are becoming similar to soccer players, some on here even suggesting we milk penalties for a head shot.
    Rightly or wrongly depending on your view the cleaning up or sanitisation of the sport has has influenced the new crop of players, naturally they play to these rules, we are not exempt from playing this way.
    The referee did not cost us the GF Leeds and Wigan defeats, we need to turn up and play to win whatever that takes and adapt if it is not going our way.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    Im a Northern Irish immigrant so I suspect he's before my time, but I do remember Ian Smith, he even admitted to hating us
    So im guessing you came across Stenaline from Belfast to Cairnryan? Thats good. The coffee’s refillable on that ferry
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

I hope you managed to keep a straight face when saying that

The bias comes when one side gets penalised for doing something the opposition does without getting penalised. We all know the scum take age between initial contact between defenders and ball carrier, and the last man clambering off the tackled ball carrier, is an age. Yet I've seen team including us get more 6-agains awarded against them.
    Exactly, the offside is policed •••• poorly across the board but there's plenty of other ways referee's "miss" things from certain sides.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    So im guessing you came across Stenaline from Belfast to Cairnryan? Thats good. The coffee’s refillable on that ferry
    Nahh, she's posh, she flew from Aldergrove.
    Claire clear your pms.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I remember a game at Central Park (92 ish) and we had to beat them to win the league.
    In the first few minutes the ball went back quite a way for the kick and all our players were in front of the ball. Even though the rule of giving 10m to the fullback was around then this didn't deter the ref who decided we were offside at the kick.

I knew then we had no chance.

Thes "baffling" decisions have gone on for a long time

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I remember a game at Central Park (92 ish) and we had to beat them to win the league.
    In the first few minutes the ball went back quite a way for the kick and all our players were in front of the ball. Even though the rule of giving 10m to the fullback was around then this didn't deter the ref who decided we were offside at the kick.

I knew then we had no chance.

Thes "baffling" decisions have gone on for a long time

There's no telling some people mate. If we turn up and play the best we can play we'll win, it doesn't matter what the ref does.............................................. ................Not much!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Prez every team runs the same plays, the only thing that differs is the personnel, in a salary capped sport we do not have the players of 1996-2008. Play expansive rugby in the summer months, play hard nosed to win finals, you will not loose fans because you are winners.
    There are lots of theories why the sport`s fan base is dwindling even from the post war years, one of them is the lack of edge allowed in tackles, we are becoming similar to soccer players, some on here even suggesting we milk penalties for a head shot.
    Rightly or wrongly depending on your view the cleaning up or sanitisation of the sport has has influenced the new crop of players, naturally they play to these rules, we are not exempt from playing this way.
    The referee did not cost us the GF Leeds and Wigan defeats, we need to turn up and play to win whatever that takes and adapt if it is not going our way.
    Every team doesn't run the same plays. Wigan continually lie on and add a third man into an already made tackle, I haven't noticed any other team doing this at virtually every set. You state that "You will not lose fans if you're winners", tell that to Bradford Bulls (yeah, I know there were many other factors for their demise, but the truth is they never had a solid fan base in SL). I don't think most players feign injury (Austin is perhaps the worst example), as soon as the officials cottoned on to the play acting regarding crusher tackles (and the moment it was highlighted by Jon Wilkin on the BBC to a large audience!) the crusher tackle almost disappeared! Cleaning up the sport is not the same as sanitising it. It's a tough and dangerous sport, if you don't think it's tough enough with rules, I'm sure any inner city gang can indulge you with street fights if our game is too sanitised, or there's always dog fighting for really hard men to watch! I'm sick of people condoning foul and reckless play as "tough", it's not and applying the rules is not "sanitising" the sport. Sorry, I don't share you're view that "we need to turn up to win whatever that takes" although I'm sure Wigan do share them, I like my team to win fair and square because they play the game better than the opposition on an equal playing field, which may just be the definition of sport?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

There's no telling some people mate. If we turn up and play the best we can play we'll win, it doesn't matter what the ref does.............................................. ................Not much!
    I'm sorry I don't agree.

Lee Smith being off side and Hicks not going to the VR in last year's CC final are 2 huge examples of it mattering.

Catalan not going down to 12 men mattered against Leeds. Like it or not in Rugby league the ref can influence a game.

The Roosters v Canberra NRL GF last year had to huge errors that Sydney profited from on both occasions

If Kendall doesn't police the 10m and the PTB then the best players in the world would struggle to be at their best.

Learning All The Songs

Every team doesn't run the same plays. Wigan continually lie on and add a third man into an already made tackle, I haven't noticed any other team doing this at virtually every set. You state that "You will not lose fans if you're winners", tell that to Bradford Bulls (yeah, I know there were many other factors for their demise, but the truth is they never had a solid fan base in SL). I don't think most players feign injury (Austin is perhaps the worst example), as soon as the officials cottoned on to the play acting regarding crusher tackles (and the moment it was highlighted by Jon Wilkin on the BBC to a large audience!) the crusher tackle almost disappeared! Cleaning up the sport is not the same as sanitising it. It's a tough and dangerous sport, if you don't think it's tough enough with rules, I'm sure any inner city gang can indulge you with street fights if our game is too sanitised, or there's always dog fighting for really hard men to watch! I'm sick of people condoning foul and reckless play as "tough", it's not and applying the rules is not "sanitising" the sport. Sorry, I don't share you're view that "we need to turn up to win whatever that takes" although I'm sure Wigan do share them, I like my team to win fair and square because they play the game better than the opposition on an equal playing field, which may just be the definition of sport?
    When Alex was on Jon Wilkin and Flash`s podcast they were all in agreement that all teams run the same plays.
    I have heard numerous reasons for diminishing fan bases but winning was never one.
    The cleaning up and sanitising of our sport has polarized players, former players, staff involved in the game and fans. I hear both sides of the issue and fall firmly on the current head injury protocols.
    We do differ in the method of winning because in my view we have too many silvers the last 13 seasons, I will take an arm wrestle one nil drop goal win if it means the trophy stays at our ground.
    Never have I been a member of an inner city street gang, attended or been involved in dog fighting.
    However I have been around fans who think the system is out to get them

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I'm sorry I don't agree.

Lee Smith being off side and Hicks not going to the VR in last year's CC final are 2 huge examples of it mattering.

Catalan not going down to 12 men mattered against Leeds. Like it or not in Rugby league the ref can influence a game.

The Roosters v Canberra NRL GF last year had to huge errors that Sydney profited from on both occasions

If Kendall doesn't police the 10m and the PTB then the best players in the world would struggle to be at their best.

I think you are agreeing with him. Probably missed the sarcasm in the las two words. I think the examples you give prove he is right.

Learning All The Songs

I'm sorry I don't agree.

Bradford fans can use the off side at Goulding`s kicks, Pryce knock on or the Joynt voluntary, every set of fans whose team is challenging but not getting over the line has these examples. (I thought the Smith was only one foot needed to be behind changed from the year previously when Ade had one foot behind in CC semi disallowed).
    We had players in our team from 2008 onwards who had a touch of big match nerves, Francis Meli being an example, brilliant with ball in hand on a warm evening in a match that did not matter, but put enough kicks up or at him in a semi-final or slippery October evening final and you get a mistake. The finals and semis we have lost were not because we are victims of a conspiracy it was because we lacked when it mattered. The Hicks mistake did not cost us the game, we had them bang to rights the next 15 minutes after but we panicked and fell apart, the try may have eased nerves, but that incident did not make Wire score.

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Bradford fans can use the off side at Goulding`s kicks, Pryce knock on or the Joynt voluntary, every set of fans whose team is challenging but not getting over the line has these examples. (I thought the Smith was only one foot needed to be behind changed from the year previously when Ade had one foot behind in CC semi disallowed).
    We had players in our team from 2008 onwards who had a touch of big match nerves, Francis Meli being an example, brilliant with ball in hand on a warm evening in a match that did not matter, but put enough kicks up or at him in a semi-final or slippery October evening final and you get a mistake. The finals and semis we have lost were not because we are victims of a conspiracy it was because we lacked when it mattered. The Hicks mistake did not cost us the game, we had them bang to rights the next 15 minutes after but we panicked and fell apart, the try may have eased nerves, but that incident did not make Wire score.
    How can you say that the hicks decision could not have been an influence on the game, we would have han 6 points on the scoreboard and then recieved the ball from the kickoff, utter tosh.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    How can you say that the hicks decision could not have been an influence on the game, we would have han 6 points on the scoreboard and then recieved the ball from the kickoff, utter tosh.
    I agree, that score would have settled the nerves we had and we would have relaxed, instead of what happened and panicking. Whilst Hicks’ error did not cause us to lose the game it did contribute to us forcing the issue and making mistake after mistake, from which we did not recover.

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I agree, that score would have settled the nerves we had and we would have relaxed, instead of what happened and panicking. Whilst Hicks’ error did not cause us to lose the game it did contribute to us forcing the issue and making mistake after mistake, from which we did not recover.
    Correct

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    I concur, complete arse gravy.
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

Banned

Except that Bradford cant complain about the Joynt voluntary tackle. It was within the rules. In fact the little known fact is that Radlinski did something similar a week or so earlier; Saints picked him up and put him into touch and were penalised.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Except that Bradford cant complain about the Joynt voluntary tackle. It was within the rules. In fact the little known fact is that Radlinski did something similar a week or so earlier; Saints picked him up and put him into touch and were penalised.
    Like Joynty said read it in the paper we won that is what counts.
    Did not know about the Radlinski one, but Joynty made no effort to get up until the Bradford players appealed, then he got up.
    I will take a win at any cost against them tomorrow, if every one of ours appears at the disciplinary and is banned for the opening couple of games next year, as long as that trophy decorates our cabinet it is all worth it in my eyes.

Banned

Like Joynty said read it in the paper we won that is what counts.
    Did not know about the Radlinski one, but Joynty made no effort to get up until the Bradford players appealed, then he got up.
    I will take a win at any cost against them tomorrow, if every one of ours appears at the disciplinary and is banned for the opening couple of games next year, as long as that trophy decorates our cabinet it is all worth it in my eyes.
    Lets hope we read that we’ve won tge big one tommorow in Saturdays’s papers. And, if I may, that AD has walloped the bookies on a first try scorer, winning margin and half time - full time treble!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Lets hope we read that we’ve won tge big one tommorow in Saturdays’s papers. And, if I may, that AD has walloped the bookies on a first try scorer, winning margin and half time - full time treble!
    He posted he staying clear of it and he is doing better than me since lockdown, we may get a an insight later.
    I don`t share Grey`s confidence but hope the headline says Saints 14 - Wigan 2