Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Adrian Lam wins Coach of the Year

Default Adrian Lam wins Coach of the Year

No surprise for me there, ultimately he has taken Wigan from 4th last year and real also-rans to the LLS and the GF this season.

No rivals imho, although if the season had played out in full, it’s possible someone could have challenged but I doubt it.

Certainly makes more sense than MOS winner!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I think he had a few critics early in the season but seemed to turn things around with the help of French, Powell and Hastings. Woolf would probably have been his nearest challenger only for "giving" the LLS away. Lam always comes across as a decent bloke in his pre and post match commentary so congrats on his award.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Well done to the Lam but I hope it gets slaughtered on Friday
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Starting A Programme Collection

Watson deserves a mention, got Salford to a final and played some really good rugby along the way

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Considering the credibility of the awards this year im surprised they didn’t give it to Tony Smith for that goatee alone.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Watson deserves a mention, got Salford to a final and played some really good rugby along the way
    I don’t think the challenge cup is taken into account TBH, it’s not under the “super League” umbrella at all, and isn’t really relevant to SKY

Got A Season Ticket

I can't complain about Lam winning CotY. He finished Top.

Got A Replica Shirt

Had to be Ian Watson for me. It was amazing he got his side to Wembley, after getting a limited team to the Grand Final last year, and losing all his best players.

All the awards are a bit of a nonsense this year - half a season played - they shouldn’t have bothered IMO

Learning All The Songs

It's a real fallow year for quality.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    It's a real fallow year for quality.
    Agree. Fair play to lamb done a good job with a bang average team .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

As I mentioned on the MoS thread I don’t think the awards should be handed out before the season has finished. If Saints win the grand final then it’s hard not to say Woolf has been a better coach than Lam this year. Might just be a personal thing for me but unless you have a Salford 2019 or a Castleford 2017 for example the coach of the year should pretty much always be the grand final winning coach.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    As I mentioned on the MoS thread I don’t think the awards should be handed out before the season has finished. If Saints win the grand final then it’s hard not to say Woolf has been a better coach than Lam this year. Might just be a personal thing for me but unless you have a Salford 2019 or a Castleford 2017 for example the coach of the year should pretty much always be the grand final winning coach.

There’s an argument to say that Woolfe, regardless of winning the GF, has actually taken Saints backwards (as they won the LLS by a record amount, won the GF and were finalists in the CC....)

Lam has taken a bang average 4th position team last term and improved them to a LLS and a GF.....

There’s no point giving Coach of the Year to the GF winner every year, unless they do something spectacular like JH last year or as you said, a dark horse in the final from nowhere....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Lam has taken a bang average 4th position team last term and improved them to a LLS and a GF.....

The scum team performs better than the sum of its parts - that's down to the coach, so I agree he is a worthy winner

Edit: and any coach who can get the 'distinctly average' Powell looking like a rugby player gets an extra brownie point

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    There’s an argument to say that Woolfe, regardless of winning the GF, has actually taken Saints backwards (as they won the LLS by a record amount, won the GF and were finalists in the CC....)

There’s no point giving Coach of the Year to the GF winner every year, unless they do something spectacular like JH last year or as you said, a dark horse in the final from nowhere....
    Most coaches struggle in their first full year, seem to remember they wanted to get rid of Lam last season because he made them bang average, same with Price got them to finals but lost them both. If Woolf gets a win in the Grand Final on Friday he joins a small group of coaches to do that in Superleague.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Most coaches struggle in their first full year, seem to remember they wanted to get rid of Lam last season because he made them bang average, same with Price got them to finals but lost them both. If Woolf gets a win in the Grand Final on Friday he joins a small group of coaches to do that in Superleague.
    There were a lot wanting to get rid of Lam this season - after the HKR game and the CC semi final in particular.