Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential new Sky TV deal

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    £200m over 6 years according to the report TWWW references in the Telegraph. So just over £33m a year, and now reportedly about £37m a year with the new deal. Still vastly more than the ‘over £20m’ we’ve reportedly got from Sky for the new deal.
    Apparently now official £110 million for a three year deal with BT, I think our deal if we manage to persuade someone is going to look embarrassing in comparison, as I don't think it will be as much as the previous deal we had with Sky , it doesn't help with some of the embarrassing characters who Sky use

In The South Stand

League Weekly reporting they’ve offered £20m p/a. How depressing.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    League Weekly reporting they’ve offered £20m p/a. How depressing.
    Semi pro beckons i fear if that's what we end up with. Presumably we'd have to go with a 10 team SL initially but with reduced wages far more players are going to be tempted to RU and the NRL. And how would we attract the next generations?

Unless clubs have the ability to generate significant non-rugby revenue it's going to be a struggle on half funding for a lot of teams. The sport is on it's arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Semi pro beckons i fear if that's what we end up with. Presumably we'd have to go with a 10 team SL initially but with reduced wages far more players are going to be tempted to RU and the NRL. And how would we attract the next generations?

Unless clubs have the ability to generate significant non-rugby revenue it's going to be a struggle on half funding for a lot of teams. The sport is on it's arse.
    If there is a positive side to this and I'm clutching at straws, it might lead to a few less " journey men " players coming from down under and not trying their best, just coming for a paid for holiday after not being able to get a contract in their homecountries. All clubs have had their share of such players, a bit more recruitment from the lower leagues might be a good thing. As well as the BT deal, the union club's have negotiated a further deal to broadcast at least seven games to free to air stations giving them even more revenue. It really is a worrying time for our sport

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Need to drastically cut the overseas quota down to just 2 players, we and 2 other clubs are in reasonable shape to bring more youth into the first team squad. We have invested a lot of time and money into our academy squad it's about time we used it instead of spending money on external resources.

There is more to worry about than the TV deal, sponsors will be probably be cutting their cloth to suit the current financial situation as well. It does look as though 2021 season is not going to be much better than 2020 at the moment.

Got A Season Ticket

I'd be wary of private equity deals yes it would be a short term boost of money but whoever invested would have there money back in ten years or so and RL could end up in a worse position
    750k just to be Introduced to a invester wow

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Need to drastically cut the overseas quota down to just 2 players, we and 2 other clubs are in reasonable shape to bring more youth into the first team squad. We have invested a lot of time and money into our academy squad it's about time we used it instead of spending money on external resources.

There is more to worry about than the TV deal, sponsors will be probably be cutting their cloth to suit the current financial situation as well. It does look as though 2021 season is not going to be much better than 2020 at the moment.
    They need to think very carefully as to how they structure next season. Home and away only in the league for me

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    They need to think very carefully as to how they structure next season. Home and away only in the league for me
    I think the structure has already been agreed to stay in its current form..

I can't see Sky being overly happy with a loss of about 20-25 games of TV fixtures either

Banned

Be brave and tell them to shove it. They have just given 3 million to kick racism out, which is fine but don't at the same time close my sport down. We have had enough of them and they of us. If we cant get them to want us after that final well tough. Rather go to BT or Prime for not much more and national terrestrial exposure. We cant allow this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Be brave and tell them to shove it. They have just given 3 million to kick racism out, which is fine but don't at the same time close my sport down. We have had enough of them and they of us. If we cant get them to want us after that final well tough. Rather go to BT or Prime for not much more and national terrestrial exposure. We cant allow this.
    This. What are SKY bringing to the table for RL? Their presentation is awful and aspects of it reinforce negative stereotype and caricature. For a sport that sees expansion as an endgame this is simply not compatible.

There’s an arrogance at SKY that they somehow are some sort of patrons of our sport; this arrogance has meant any objective assessment of their own presentation is a no-goer. As ive said loads of times, only RL would make a running joke of itself by that childish try music but its symptomatic of a presentation team which sees no motivation to improve anymore.

The game tries to claim its a pioneering sport. It is anything but. Its a sport which clings onto a comfort blanket and easy backsliding over beer and sandwiches; its desperate chancing on dodgy risks like Toronto, PSG and other daft ideas shouldn’t create a mirage of ‘pioneering’ a sport that far too often lacks intelligent and strategic vision.

If it had this then it would be binning SKY off and would have brokered a deal far better then this plane crash of a deal.

In The South Stand

Those two posts are in my opinion right , what are SKY going to show . I was told once by a SKY rep Rugby League is one of there most watched shows , tell them to stuff it and see what happens , and at the same time tell them that we want the game calling Rugby League and not the same name as all sorts of other sports .

In The South Stand

I will continue then , how long will it take Saints to show the new team pictures on the website?.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I will continue then , how long will it take Saints to show the new team pictures on the website?.
    I presume they're currently on deserved leave at the moment

Learning All The Songs

Those two posts are in my opinion right , what are SKY going to show . I was told once by a SKY rep Rugby League is one of there most watched shows , tell them to stuff it and see what happens , and at the same time tell them that we want the game calling Rugby League and not the same name as all sorts of other sports .
    They tried to hold out a few years ago, but the clubs like Wakefield, Cas, and HKR broke ranks and started crying and predicting the end of days, of course these are the clubs that just take the sky money and run and don’t try to improve anything.

We have a good product, we need to play a bit more hard. Maybe now we have SL bidding on their own we get the clubs to sign a gagging clause not to comment on the negotiations before the deal is signed.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    They’re planning on 27 games (13 H&A and Magic) for 2021. Our loop games are Catalans (at Magic), Hull, Cas, Wakefield and Leigh.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I had a pop at them a few seasons back for not updating pictures whilst trying to generate interest by releasing new squad numbers.
    My 'complaint' was valid then IMO, but I think we can all cut them some slack this year!

In The South Stand

Fair enough then but all of the clubs that are in Rugby League areas are in a position to start jubior clubs academies , auy other team to feed players through to there own town team .

Banned

Regarding the TV Deal. I take on board what a correspondent says about Wakey etc panicking and breaking ranks last time. However another way of looking at it is the successful, lets say 10 clubs threaten to go it alone, and not worry about a TV deal but work on post covid people wanting to pay and watch games with the top teams in action, and just sell a highlights show to the highest terrestrial bidder.

Or you bin SKY and say to BT or prime what singular games do you want and how much are you prepared to pay? After that GF Saints and Wigan is a product worldwide! I would break ties with SKY and ask the games supporters to do the same. Dont forget folks Elstone is costing 500K a year and Rimmer will be on about the same! That is a Million Pounds on two admin guys, because those two are not captains of industry a blind man can see that, the whole game needs realignment and refocus and quickly. No big payouts just close one body down and then strip down the other.

In The South Stand

Who knows if it isnt on TV people might go to the game and pay on the gate again.

Regarding the TV Deal. I take on board what a correspondent says about Wakey etc panicking and breaking ranks last time. However another way of looking at it is the successful, lets say 10 clubs threaten to go it alone, and not worry about a TV deal but work on post covid people wanting to pay and watch games with the top teams in action, and just sell a highlights show to the highest terrestrial bidder.

Or you bin SKY and say to BT or prime what singular games do you want and how much are you prepared to pay? After that GF Saints and Wigan is a product worldwide! I would break ties with SKY and ask the games supporters to do the same. Dont forget folks Elstone is costing 500K a year and Rimmer will be on about the same! That is a Million Pounds on two admin guys, because those two are not captains of industry a blind man can see that, the whole game needs realignment and refocus and quickly. No big payouts just close one body down and then strip down the other.
    Agree with all that, but sadly Sky have the upper hand in negotiations as I can't see any other broadcaster offering more They will just point out that no matter how good the product is it's such an insular sport, two teams play in the Wigan Borough, two in Hull, Castleford and Wakefield only about six miles away from each other, Saints and Warrington within brick throwing distance in adjoining Boroughs, it might generate reasonable television audiences but as far as countrywide and mainstream media goes no one is interested. The days have gone when Granada and Yorkshire TV could opt out of Nationwide television to show games on a Saturday afternoon, and put in an offer, that's not how television operates these days and as for the BBC, they have just given up on Sport apart from Snooker. I would love to see a Cumbria team re-emerge to make it a little more interesting but the tribal rivalry up there is like Saints and Wigan so its never going to happen. Toulouse and Catalan might have generated a bit more interest. There's one thing for sure many supporters of all clubs will continue to pay money to watch games live, and if we lose a broadcaster who's prepared to pay the right amount for live broadcasts, we should just cut our cloth accordingly. At least we wouldn't be pushed around with fixture date changes, and we might get a bit more entertaining rugby without all the hype about "winning the ruck" together with the all in wrestling which seems to go on these days

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I often wondered how much revenue our club got for hosting quite a few of the fixtures at our home ground with all the protocols that had to be in place.

Banned

Interesting it would have cost two thousand pounds just to basically open the gate to host a St Helens Town FC game when Langtree first opened. I would presume that this season has come out of SL funds, SKY have paid for the product

I wouldn't take anything under 30 Million a season from SKY. I would take less than that from Prime and have more control over our own game. It may see some clubs go bang but it may take that.

Learning All The Songs

Interesting it would have cost two thousand pounds just to basically open the gate to host a St Helens Town FC game when Langtree first opened. I would presume that this season has come out of SL funds, SKY have paid for the product

I wouldn't take anything under 30 Million a season from SKY. I would take less than that from Prime and have more control over our own game. It may see some clubs go bang but it may take that.
    I can't why Amazon would be remotely interested in SL, certainly at nothing like £20-30m. BT possibly given their RU coverage but that would massively reduce our exposure compared to Sky.

We don't have the luxury of being able to walk away without any broadcast revenue, for some SL clubs it's half their income. Wages are already low (dropped in real terms over the years) but they'd have to drop like a stone to recover the lost £2m per year.

If it's £20m but heyre modernising production and dropping exclusivity allowing us to offer a weekly/monthly FTA package for someone like C4 then there might be a potential longer term positive from it.

I can't why Amazon would be remotely interested in SL, certainly at nothing like £20-30m. BT possibly given their RU coverage but that would massively reduce our exposure compared to Sky.

We don't have the luxury of being able to walk away without any broadcast revenue, for some SL clubs it's half their income. Wages are already low (dropped in real terms over the years) but they'd have to drop like a stone to recover the lost £2m per year.

If it's £20m but heyre modernising production and dropping exclusivity allowing us to offer a weekly/monthly FTA package for someone like C4 then there might be a potential longer term positive from it.
    Good idea, because that Try Time package on Sky with no analysis, news etc., is rubbish, and the game could do with another outlet, the Superleague Show is hardly must watch viewiing, lets say say we negotiated about eight of the big games like the Saints/Wigan/Warrington derbies and Yorkshire equivalents that are already guaranteed good attendances to be free to air, like Union are going to do with some of their big derbies next season, but I doubt whether Sky would allow loss of exclusivity

Banned

20 million a year? We know Elstone is on 500K that will mean Rhodri will be on 200K then you have the rest of the functions, it would be reasonable to say it costs 4-5 Million per year just to administer Super League Europe. That leaves 15 Million for exclusivity and selling our soul.

I would if I was Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Wire, Hull, even Leigh! Say we will take our chances on gate money and get rid of one of the governing bodies and SKY. They are killing us by a thousand cuts at present. Without repeating myself if that Grand Final is a worthless product or worth half of RU we may has well get our coat now. I disagree with the previous poster, Amazon Prime would be interested in purchasing the bigger games and it would be to a different audience. We stuck with the BBC all through the Eddie Waring era and they treated us like surfs.